• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Popular games that you dislike?

cody420

Smash Cadet
Whoa whoa whoa whoa, dont be knocking on FFVii. If u wana bad game talk about Kingdom Hearts. Disney + RPG = *poot* (my farting sound) FFvii was playstations most popular RPG back in the day, yet u say FFCC (GC) was better.......LMAO. EVERYONE that played FF7 back then would shut up about how awsome it is, now its being talked down upon. It had the best storyline of any game in History. Wut a shame, i thot sum of u wer intelligent gamers. Maybe im wrong....jk jk but seriously

Darkslash

Smash Master
Whoa whoa whoa whoa, dont be knocking on FFVii. If u wana bad game talk about Kingdom Hearts. Disney + RPG = *poot* (my farting sound) FFvii was playstations most popular RPG back in the day, yet u say FFCC (GC) was better.......LMAO. EVERYONE that played FF7 back then would shut up about how awsome it is, now its being talked down upon. It had the best storyline of any game in History. Wut a shame, i thot sum of u wer intelligent gamers. Maybe im wrong....jk jk but seriously
Kingdom Hearts 1 was okay. Kingdom Hearts 2 Was just "Holy **** i gotta play this game"

Crystal Chronicles is SO BAD that its now a Final Fantasy Sub Series.

Ohh yea another one to add to the list.

Second Life. To be honest i'm sure if thats a GAME at all.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Final Fantasy VII (not so much a dislike as a "stop praising it to much fanboys, FFVI and FFVIII are better" thing)

Super Metroid (really, couldn't get into it at all)

Halo (was...okay)

Gears of War (again, what I played didn't seem that great)

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
1) Super Mario Galaxy. Don´t get me wrong, I love the game, but I just liked sunshine more...

2) WoW. Not really much to say here, I just think that it´s overrated by many.

3) All football and icehockey games and most other sports games. I just never understood what´s fun in them.

4) Kingdom hearts. Once again, great game, but I still don´t think it´s the best thing in the universe like some people think.

My list isn´t so much "Popular games that you dislike" than "popular games you think are overrated"...

And to a certain extent RBY version of Pokemon. I loved playing them with young but there are better ones. (2nd/3rd gen imo)
I like first gen best, others don´t have as good pkmn IMO. I don´t know, none of the later ones just hasn´t gotten me excited like my dear old Pokemon Blue...

EDIT: nearly forgot:

5) Guitar hero. After all the hype and praising, I found out that it just was anything too great to me.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :p

Anyway, Americans aren't going to want to play a music game full of Japanese music, it just doesn't happen.
Say that to katamari damacy. But anyway, I wasn't talking about the music. Just that the very concept was pretty much ripped off from konami, and made it more casual. Its like if someone just took Tetris, changed the BGM to star spangled banner, called it "block hero" and did absolutely nothing else.
Or if Activision pretty much took DDR, just changing the music, and calling it "Dance Hero." Oh wait. They're already doing that.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
Halo. The game isn't half bad but the way people worship it makes me hate it.

-:bowser:Bowser King
I agree fully. I mean, I guess there are many other games that are really good but worshipped way too much, to be honest. I just feel like Halo fanboys make Halo less pleasurable to like...

Scott!

Smash Lord
I don't like all those hyper-realistic FPSs, etc out there. I want an escape, not more reality in my games. Though I do love the Metroid Prime series, but that's only kind of an FPS; they're as much adventure as shooter games. I don't like overly violent games like Gears of War, etc. Sports games don't do it for me either. I'll play when all my friends want to, and it's fun, but... eh. I finally got around to starting FF VII over the summer, since my friend demanded that I try it, and it's ok, but I think it's just not aged well at all. I plan on playing more over winter break when I can get the game back, but unless it becomes drastically better, then meh.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
I don't like all those hyper-realistic FPSs, etc out there. I want an escape, not more reality in my games. Though I do love the Metroid Prime series, but that's only kind of an FPS; they're as much adventure as shooter games. I don't like overly violent games like Gears of War, etc. Sports games don't do it for me either. I'll play when all my friends want to, and it's fun, but... eh. I finally got around to starting FF VII over the summer, since my friend demanded that I try it, and it's ok, but I think it's just not aged well at all. I plan on playing more over winter break when I can get the game back, but unless it becomes drastically better, then meh.
Yeah overly violent FPS games are alright once in a while, but sometimes too much is just overdoing it. Not to say I hate a game because it is too violent, but I think that some people put too much emphasis on the violence of the video games, in the sense that violence automatically makes it a great game or something like that.

As for sports, I've never been a fan of sports games in general, but I do like hockey games, since I'm a huge fan of hockey.

cody420

Smash Cadet
Super Metroid was the best Metroid. It started the super special attacks before prime did. & invented Hyper mode.

BTW FF6= FF7 but FF7>FF8 (not by much)

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
if animal crossing is considered popular then that,
sims,
WoW,
and Final Fantasy. i mean i know its like one of the best RPG series out there but i just dont care for it.

i think its so funny that everyone here is ripping on halo. i must be like the only one to like it here

JLynn943

Smash Ace
1. FPS's in general. I don't understand how basically the same game can be released over and over again and do really well.

2. MMOs

3. Legend of Zelda games. Sorry...just not my thing...

4. Ratchet and Clank series

Pas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Antilochos
3DS FC
2277-6656-7895
Halo. The game isn't half bad but the way people worship it makes me hate it.

-:bowser:Bowser King
No offense, but that's a truly awful reason to dislike a game. If you enjoy playing a game, then enjoy playing it!

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
-Final Fantasy VII and XII are the single two most over-hyped games in the entire franchise.
Also a good reason to hate FF VII
-lol, Halo.
-GTA III was fun. Vice City, San Andreas, and GTA IV were not.
-Metroid on the NES is still the ONLY good Metroid game.
-Super Mario Sunshine is the worst game ever made.
-Mortal Kombat and MK II were okay, they had the gore and the cool ninjas, but as fighting games they were absolutely awful. MK III took that to a whole new lever, an even worse fighting system and ruined everything cool about the characters. This would continue with every Mortal Kombat after it. Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe grabs my attention for one thing and one thing only: DC characters. If it was anyother 3D MK game, it would have garnered the attention of fanboys who refuse to play any other fighting game.
-I didn't like Dragon Quest VIII as much as I hoped I would, but it was still fun.
-Gears and Gods of War.
-Sports games that aren't Virtua Tennis, ESPECIALLY Mario Sports.
-Racing games, ESPECIALLY Mario Karts that aren't on the SNES and N64.
-Blizzard RTS's. The best Blizzard game was a platformer called Lost Vikings. It's a shame they turned into what they are today, they had so much potential.
-Brawl. Duh.
-EVERY game on the Wii that I own. Mario Galaxy, Prime 3, Twilight Princess, Red Steel, Excitetruck, Warioland, Brawl, all of them are insults to Nintendo. Why do they do this?
-Pokemon Yellow, Ruby, Sapphire, Diamond, Pearl, Emerald, FireRed, LeafGreen, and even though I haven't played it yet, Platinum.
-God **** Fire Emblem. **** it, worst RPG series I've ever played.
-Post-N64 Starfox. Even Command.
-Post-N64 F-Zero. Now all it is is "why dont cf go outside his car and FLACOOOOOOOON PUNCHHHH other players LOL!!!"
-Pilot Wings 64. Horrible sequel to one of the best SNES games.
-Guitar Hero 80's, GH III, and World Tour. 80's was just a quick cash-in, GH III had a horrible setlist and even worse graphics and character designs, and GH:WT is just "Rock Band's beating us, guys!" Oh, and it has Jimi Hendrix in it. That makes it over-rated by default.
-Every Sonic game after Sonic 2. With the possible exception of Sonic CD.
-Metal Gear AC!D and Portable Ops. Epic series, but these were unneeded and just not fun.
-Dance Dance Revolution. Not so much anything really against the game, it takes skill I will never have, but you can't forgive or forget 95% of the soundtrack for each game is generic J-Pop and techno bull ****.
-Ace Attorney series. Yelling "OBJECTION!" over and over does not make you cool.
-Post Megaman X series. Seriously, why the **** is BattleNetwork so loved?
-All Resident Evil games except RE 4. Horror-sruvival? Give me a break, more like "shoot at every thing that moves." House of the Dead can get away with it because SEGA and fans admit that's the point of the game. At least RE 4 was no zombies, which made it interesting.

If you can convince me otherwise about why these don't deserve your undying hatred, I'll give up gaming forever and a written apology.

Pas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Antilochos
3DS FC
2277-6656-7895
.... what do you actually play, when you're not hating everything?

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Mostly the SNES, N64, Dreamcast, and MAME. I recently found my NES again, so I might play through Super Mario Bros. 3 before the month is done.

cody420

Smash Cadet
@Hemightbegiant Wow a nostalgia gamer like me? I own an NES wit 45 games each jus as epic as the other.

But u mock some games that makes me wonder if ur Homo? jk jk but seriously

cody420

Smash Cadet
That reminds me....... erherm.......GUITAR HERO IS THE SUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No, i can play GH on hard, wen im wasted. Even then, its a huge brain & buzz kill. && It makes people so stupid. i swear i see them always having the look of down syndrom wen they get into it.

joecas

Smash Rookie
That reminds me....... erherm.......GUITAR HERO IS THE SUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cody is very right. I don't like GH or rock band all that much.

The most popular game that i hate the most is Gears of War, and probably GOW2 when it comes out. It has a dumb cover system, steroid-addled main characters, and the entire world is grey, except for the rivers of red...

BloodyPuppy

Smash Journeyman
Soul Calibur 3+4: Watching high-level play is great, but every casual match always seems to degenerate into a spamfest. Also I feel like I don't have that much mobility compared to other fighting games.

Halo series: Well, the game will always hold a special place in my heart for introducing me to my beloved PC FPS's but it's honestly just an ok series. It's all painfully mediocre. Everyone on my floor plays it though, so by extension I've been playing it, on a console no less (I suck at console FPS's).

Final Fantasy 7: I really think the series is overrated, but this is the worst of the series in that regard. It's not terrible, but it's not that good either. Story is overrated and pretty **** cliche in a lot of ways, characters are uninteresting, gameplay is sub-par, and the graphics aren't that appealing. And when I say that I mean aesthetically, not technically.

Starcraft: Okay, it's honestly not a bad game, I just suck hard at RTS games. I look forward to Starcraft 2 though.

Earthbound: What's the big deal with this game? It's not that funny and the gameplay is unimpressive save the way health bars work.

I think that's it. Oh wait.

Super Smash Brothers Brawl: For the lulz.

Overload

Smash Lord
-Final Fantasy VII and XII are the single two most over-hyped games in the entire franchise.

-ESPECIALLY Mario Karts that aren't on the SNES and N64.
-EVERY game on the Wii that I own. Mario Galaxy, Prime 3, Twilight Princess, all of them are insults to Nintendo. Why do they do this?
-Pokemon Yellow, Ruby, Sapphire, Diamond, Pearl, Emerald, FireRed, LeafGreen, and even though I haven't played it yet, Platinum.

If you can convince me otherwise about why these don't deserve your undying hatred, I'll give up gaming forever and a written apology.
You serious? Super metroid is awesome, fusion is great, sunshine may have a weird theme but it is challenging and from what I've seen a pretty good platformer, Mario galaxy?!?!? why? TP I might understand since I heard it was kind of easy and it is sort of similar to OoT but is that a reason to dislike it? I find fire emblem to be very enjoyable. . .

666th post. . .

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace

-lol, Halo.
-GTA III was fun. Vice City, San Andreas, and GTA IV were not.
-Mortal Kombat and MK II were okay, they had the gore and the cool ninjas, but as fighting games they were absolutely awful. MK III took that to a whole new lever, an even worse fighting system and ruined everything cool about the characters. This would continue with every Mortal Kombat after it. Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe grabs my attention for one thing and one thing only: DC characters. If it was anyother 3D MK game, it would have garnered the attention of fanboys who refuse to play any other fighting game.
-I didn't like Dragon Quest VIII as much as I hoped I would, but it was still fun.
-Gears and Gods of War.
-Sports games that aren't Virtua Tennis, ESPECIALLY Mario Sports.
-Racing games, ESPECIALLY Mario Karts that aren't on the SNES and N64.
-Blizzard RTS's. The best Blizzard game was a platformer called Lost Vikings. It's a shame they turned into what they are today, they had so much potential.
-Brawl. Duh.
-EVERY game on the Wii that I own. Mario Galaxy, Prime 3, Twilight Princess, Red Steel, Excitetruck, Warioland, Brawl, all of them are insults to Nintendo. Why do they do this?
-Post-N64 Starfox. Even Command.
-Post-N64 F-Zero. Now all it is is "why dont cf go outside his car and FLACOOOOOOOON PUNCHHHH other players LOL!!!"
-Pilot Wings 64. Horrible sequel to one of the best SNES games.
-Guitar Hero 80's, GH III, and World Tour. 80's was just a quick cash-in, GH III had a horrible setlist and even worse graphics and character designs, and GH:WT is just "Rock Band's beating us, guys!" Oh, and it has Jimi Hendrix in it. That makes it over-rated by default.
-Every Sonic game after Sonic 2. With the possible exception of Sonic CD.
-Metal Gear AC!D and Portable Ops. Epic series, but these were unneeded and just not fun.
-Dance Dance Revolution. Not so much anything really against the game, it takes skill I will never have, but you can't forgive or forget 95% of the soundtrack for each game is generic J-Pop and techno bull ****.
-Ace Attorney series. Yelling "OBJECTION!" over and over does not make you cool.
-Post Megaman X series. Seriously, why the **** is BattleNetwork so loved?
-All Resident Evil games except RE 4. Horror-sruvival? Give me a break, more like "shoot at every thing that moves." House of the Dead can get away with it because SEGA and fans admit that's the point of the game. At least RE 4 was no zombies, which made it interesting.

wow im shocked that you even like video games. just look on that long list, what game dont you hate???

cody420

Smash Cadet
Some of wut he said is True (Sonic 2 FTW, but wat about Sonic and Knuckles?) but 95% of wut he said sounds like hes jus a "hater"

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
The only way you can hate Mario is that you suck at platformers TBH.
Or maybe you just don't like Mario?

I like some Mario games, and once I finally get my hands on SMW I'm sure I'll love that (as well as SMRPG once I get that). But Mario really isn't even a likable character to me. He's a plumber, who's supposedly Italian but really only insults Italians by saying stereotypically Italian phrases (which offends me, since I'm 50% Italian).

You don't have to be bad at the games to dislike them...
Also, another possible explanation for a natural dislike for him could be that you were started off on gaming with Sonic. (Kidding, that's not really why I dislike him at times. Although it's not impossible.)

Also Banned from discussion:Star Fox 64
Or Peppy will DO A BARREL ROLL and make something wrong with the G-Diffuser!

Second Life. To be honest i'm sure if thats a GAME at all.
I don't think it is. In fact, I know it's not.

Super Metroid (really, couldn't get into it at all)
There are a lot of hard-to-get-into games. Once you get into it, though, it's awesome.
You should give it another shot.

Super Metroid was the best Metroid. It started the super special attacks before prime did. & invented Hyper mode.
Exactly, Super Metroid > All.

How did it invent Hyper Mode, though?

No offense, but that's a truly awful reason to dislike a game. If you enjoy playing a game, then enjoy playing it!
You'd be surprised how much annoying fanboys can make you dislike a game.

Um...what?
Metroid is one of the few series's where the first game is actually widely agreed to be not as good as some others. Or at least, I thought it was widely agreed as that.

While Metroid is a good game, it's severely hindered by a lack of features that would've been very convenient. Crouching is probably the most notable one. Also, it's rather short and just has Ridley, Kraid, and Mother Brain for bosses. Which brings me to my next point; at least on the original NES, during the Mother Brain fight there are so many items on screen that it lags like crazy and makes the fight even more difficult. More difficulty would generally be better, but lag causing that increased difficulty...is not good.

I'd be willing to understand if you thought that it's the best Metroid game...but how can you possibly say the only good one? Super Metroid at least is beyond awesome, if you wouldn't accept any other of the games as good. Fusion is also awesome, but it's a different type of Metroid and it's sort of an acquired taste, I suppose, so I wouldn't hold it against you for disliking it (despite the fact that it's probably my second favorite Metroid).

Looking at the rest of your post...you seem extraordinarily nostalgic. I mean, retro gaming for the win, but jeez, you even said that Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles were bad.

Games that I dislike that are popular?

-SUPER MARIO GALAXY. It's in caps for a reason, I hate it that much. It was a mediocre game, at best, and it gets the treatment of a god. Not the best Mario game by far, even though I hear that a lot. And the fact that even one person has claimed it to be the best game ever makes me lose all hope for humanity.

-Halo. Not that bad, and I do intend to buy it for my 360 at some point, the fanboys just annoy me. Also, I do find it to be overrated.

-Guitar Hero. I find the whole concept to be pointless. Also, there's a good number of idiots who think that Guitar Hero makes you good at guitar, and this annoys me to no end.
There's a reason a lot of real guitar players aren't good at Guitar Hero. They are entirely dissimilar.

-Sonic and the Secret Rings. This one is actually divided, there are a number who hate it and a number who don't. I don't understand the people that like it, and I hate them because it's getting the godforsaken game not even just a sequel, but an entire spin-off series.

-Brawl. Obvious.

-Final Fantasy games. I don't find them to be that fun at all, and the hype they get only annoys me more. Not to mention there are so many Final Fantasy games it's not even funny.

-MARIO PARTY. It's been milked to death. JUST LET IT DIE, NINTENDO!

-Mario Spin-offs aside from RPG's. What's Mario going to do next, play Lacrosse on a chessboard whilst simultaneously dancing? Seriously...

I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of any more at the moment.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :p

Anyway, Americans aren't going to want to play a music game full of Japanese music, it just doesn't happen.

@Psychoace: Psychonauts wasn't even popular enough to get a sequel...

Did I forget Gears of War? I wouldn't mind it so much if it's fans weren't ten times worse then Halo fans when you try and point out why you don't like it. It's just a BIT overrated.
You should have been there with the hype.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
Why would there be a law agaisnt it, i didnt find it that hard nor entertaining.

Im not saying it was easy but for a hyped puzzle game i expected a high difficulty.
What's with everybody and difficulty all of a sudden? Why does a game have to be hard to be fun? Can't an easy game be fun too?

Top Bottom