• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Black and White (Spoiler Warning)

PD4FR

Smash Ace
Bigger games than pokemon have had international release dates. It kind of helps if you work on the translations as part of game development instead of doing them after the game has been finished.
I get your point, translation could be done during the development, but that makes it seem to me like that would lengthen the development time, which makes the Japanese wait longer for their own game.

Or maybe I'm wrong, and translation doesn't take as much time as I'm thinking it would?
:dizzy:

ok im only gonna state this one last time in the original pokemon before the 4th gen their were speical and physical types eevee only had speical evolutions if you look closely the only type that hasent been made for eevee now is dragon...

also because we are now in isshu *far away from everywhere else* most other pokemon i am expecting will be rare thus meaning im not suprised they dident finish eevee
I'm not reading this. I mean no offense, but your writing is very uncomfortable to read.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
ok im only gonna state this one last time in the original pokemon before the 4th gen their were speical and physical types eevee only had speical evolutions if you look closely the only type that hasent been made for eevee now is dragon...
Has it ever been explicitly stated by Nintendo/GF that Eevee's evolutions can only be of the special (pre-Gen IV) types?

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
There's a difference between a correlation and something being factually stated. We know that all of Eevee's evolutions so far have been one of the former special types, but that doesn't mean they'll never do one of the physical types, especially since physical/special types don't exist anymore.

There's a first time for everything.

majora_787

Smash Hero
But seriously, they're trying to shaft a country of their fans. Sort of. >_< I mean really. Besides, "legal bullying" isn't really cool to begin with.

BUT this conversation doesn't really have a huge point. Not like the problem is gonna get solved, the game will just have to come out in 6 months.

And with the 5th generation, I decided there's no longer a "pattern". There's just a popular group of ideas that the developers use often.

I bet NOBODY thought we were going to get a 100% original set of pokemon on a 100% different country starting over at route 1. I mean sure, SOME people, very few, still cling to the deal with Munna-Drowzee and mamanbo-Luvdisc, but there isn't much that can be done about that.

So yeah. Maybe next gen we'll get another eeveelution, and it could be any time whatsoever. Even though, I think I'd rather see them build off the 5th generation a bit more. It looks to me like a few families are "unfinished" again. =P

Steelia

Smash Champion
So yeah. Maybe next gen we'll get another eeveelution, and it could be any time whatsoever. Even though, I think I'd rather see them build off the 5th generation a bit more. It looks to me like a few families are "unfinished" again. =P
Yup... like that one fish, the one that looks different in either version. Forget the name, but it looks like it could go a little further.
Just about any single stager could have something to it, really... haha... Too bad nothing can be done with Pkmn like Tauros and the Afrobull; if they ever got evolutions or preevos, they'd probably look really similar. Or, it'd be neat to see Tauros get a preevo... that branched off into Afrobull... Would be a pretty interesting concept, I suppose. Opens a few more windows, connects a few more Pkmn to each other.

Ehh.
Still looking forward to the games. Kind of glad I'm not getting spoiled anymore, spoiled myself too much with DP, and I played like ten minutes into them before I was dirt-bored of them. :laugh:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I've spoiled every pokemon so far. Couldn't resist. I also know some gym and elite 4 types... However, I didn't spoil anything else. =P I feel good about that. xD

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
heres to hoping that there will be a 6th generation, hopefully better than this one.

Kole

Smash Lord
heres to hoping that there will be a 6th generation, hopefully better than this one.

ROFL

from playing the Jp. rom to the 3rd gym alone, I could tell that it would be the best Pokemon game to date.

try the game before you knock it...

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
The games haven't even been out for half a week in Japan yet, and already we're hoping for sixth gen games better than them? I'm a very skeptical person, but there's just no excuse for extreme skepticism like that.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ I like 5th gen :( Better than 4th...

1st: 8
2nd: 10
3rd 8
4th 6
(out of 10)

In terms of gameplay and evolution in gameplay

1st: 5
2nd: 5
3rd and 4th : 10
5: TBA (But I think 5th gets a 9 in design, 10 in gameplay.)

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
5th gen will probably be my new favorite, from what I've seen. And I've seen about 30 minutes of gameplay and the OST.
CHAMPION CYNTHIA BATTLE SAY WHAT

majora_787

Smash Hero
Gawd, WPM, you're so craaaayyyyzeh... :bee:

Nyway. Seriously? Generation 5 is the best so far in my opinion. It takes the "new" feeling the 1st gives, and all of the modern perks every generation since has come up with... Has great designs like the third... and has an easy transfer system what I've been told is b etter than 4th's.

Seriously, for me it's been...

2 < 4 < 1 < 3 < 5

I decided 4 places below 1 because 1 has extreme nostalgia fuel. >_< I started with the 2nd gen, but I understand.

I bet there WILL be a 6th, but I doubt it'll be as amazing as this.

But seriously... We have what, roughly 650 pokemon. That's 65% of 1,000 pokes. My mind has been blown. The 6th will only blow it more, giving us 780-ish pokes or something like that altogether. Then 900 for VII. >_< Does anyone get what I'm sayin'?

Moozle

Smash Champion
I hope there ends up being 900+. Being able to name 900 things by heart is cool :)

At this point Gen III is still my favorite, but I haven't played B&W yet so there's no way to know for sure. I'm still depressed that Denchura isn't amazing :(

UberMario

Smash Master
IMO, this is how I rate the generations [only counting new games, not remakes] from favorite to least favorite

Pokemon Design:
Kanto, Hoenn, Johto, Sinnoh, Isshu (Sure it has a lot of pokemon, and Sinnoh was pretty bland, but at least the latter doesn't have atrocious designs like the Dark/Fighting lizard, Maggyo, Digipokemon, and oddball starter finals. >_> I'd rather have "normal" designs than a roster that is half-cool, half-terrible, I've also brought up the typing, which makes little-to-no-sense on at least ten pokemon)

Pokemon Music:
Isshu, Johto, Kanto, Hoenn, Sinnoh (From what I've been able to hear, the music blows the other generations right out of the water, though the majority of it isn't quite as memorable as the Kanto and Johto tunes . . . . )

I'll "rate" the plot, etc when I get it, since I don't want to spoil myself on that.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I really don't like the palette swapped genies. Should've just had the Flying one.

Also what happens if it holds an Iron Ball?

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
IMO, this is how I rate the generations [only counting new games, not remakes] from favorite to least favorite

Pokemon Design:
Kanto, Hoenn, Johto, Sinnoh, Isshu (Sure it has a lot of pokemon, and Sinnoh was pretty bland, but at least the latter doesn't have atrocious designs like the Dark/Fighting lizard, Maggyo, Digipokemon, and oddball starter finals. >_> I'd rather have "normal" designs than a roster that is half-cool, half-terrible, I've also brought up the typing, which makes little-to-no-sense on at least ten pokemon)
Really? Isshu is dead last? Sure, there are some awful Pokemon this Gen, but there's no way it's the worst. In my opinion, the only truely bad ones are the Dark/Fighting lizards and the two legendary trios.

Nostalgia makes it pretty hard for me to say that any of the original 151 are bad, but there are quite a few that, introduced now, would recieve a ton of critisism. (Farfetch'd, Voltorb, Electrode, Magmar, Dragonite, Tangela, Jynx, Tauros, Beedrill, etc.)

Johto had quite a few stupid/weird-looking Pokemon, such as Yanma, Unown, Sunflora, Politoed, Sudowudo, Ampharos, Dunsparce, etc.

Hoenn gave us things like Spinda and Nosepass.

Sinnoh is lulz.

Pokemon Music:
Isshu, Johto, Kanto, Hoenn, Sinnoh (From what I've been able to hear, the music blows the other generations right out of the water, though the majority of it isn't quite as memorable as the Kanto and Johto tunes . . . . )
That's probably just because Kanto/Johto music is pure, delicious, 8-bit nostalgia.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
There are a lot less "cute" Pokemon in Isshu, IMO. I feel like they went for design more than cute factor this generation. And yeah, I think a lot of the Pokemon are ugly, though I do appreciate the ideas. I want to see some official artwork; that might make me like a couple a bit more.

Steelia

Smash Champion
There are a lot less "cute" Pokemon in Isshu, IMO. I feel like they went for design more than cute factor this generation. And yeah, I think a lot of the Pokemon are ugly, though I do appreciate the ideas. I want to see some official artwork; that might make me like a couple a bit more.
...Not sure what your definition of "cute" is, cuz I swear, every time Pkmn Sunday revealed new 5th Gen Pkmn, 99% of the time there included a nice bundle of "cute" Pokemon in the mix. Started worrying me for a sec that this gen would be all warm and cutesy. :laugh:

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I can't really agree with you on the mushroom. But little flyin' squirrel is adorable! Still, for every cute 'mon there's a about a dozen that probably wouldn't fit the average person's description.

...Not sure what your definition of "cute" is, cuz I swear, every time Pkmn Sunday revealed new 5th Gen Pkmn, 99% of the time there included a nice bundle of "cute" Pokemon in the mix. Started worrying me for a sec that this gen would be all warm and cutesy. :laugh:
Maybe the huge reveal of the other 3/4 Pokemon that aren't as cute is just fresh on my mind right now. We'll see in a couple of days, I guess.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
In terms of the quality of the starters (design, evolutionary process, etc.), I'd rate the generations like this:

1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and finally 2nd.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
I really want to conduct a test where I show pictures of each and every starter to a group of people who aren't fans of Pokemon, and ask them to arrange them from best to worst in terms of design.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I really want to conduct a test where I show pictures of each and every starter to a group of people who aren't fans of Pokemon, and ask them to arrange them from best to worst in terms of design.
Or better yet, we have a group of people that are FANS of Pokemon arrange them from best to worst.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
i like some of the new pokemon but after looking at the stats there are way to many crazy strong attack/spc-attackers. I realize that some new ability's seem to help tanking but with so many pokemon having 130+ attack stats i almost feel this meta-game will have less viable tanks then 4th gen. i hope i am wrong b/c i dont want it to be a game were the biggest gun wins so i will just wait and see.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
You're missing the point of Zook's study.
No I understand the point just fine. Feedback from an outside source for unbiased opinions. That would work for simply rating the designs, but we all know we don't simply rate Pokemon on their designs. That's my only beef with it.

I'm just never going to get over how dramatic of a change going from Wotter's 1st stage to the four-legged narwhal is. And the fact that GF went Fire/Fighting yet again.

Yes I'm bitter. Get @ me.

Tomo Takino

Smash Ace
No I understand the point just fine. Feedback from an outside source for unbiased opinions. That would work for simply rating the designs, but we all know we don't simply rate Pokemon on their designs. That's my only beef with it.
So you judge somethings design by something other than its design? What?

Steelia

Smash Champion
So you judge somethings design by something other than its design? What?
I'm afraid I'm a little lost there as well. XD

Being an avid fan like most here, I know for SURE designs are the first thing I look at... Don't worry too much about stats, don't worry too much about typing (unless you're continuing an agonizingly annoying Fire/Fighting starter trend, COUGH), don't care much for what moves they can learn, or what they may sound like. First and foremost, if the Pkmn looks unappealing, I won't bother with it.
... *looks at ice cone and strangely-hyped lantern from this gen*

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Design and Stats go hand in hand for me. I love Tyranitar because he is cool and strong, if he had Beedrill's stats I may not feel so...

Either way; Ononokusu(sp) > all this gen

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
When did I ever say anything about judging Pokemon solely on their design?? LOL
Right here:

Or better yet, we have a group of people that are FANS of Pokemon arrange them from best to worst.
Your idea wouldn't yeild unbaised results because Pokemon fans are generally very opinionated as to which gens are the best, and 1st nearly always comes out on top simply because it was the first.

Top Bottom