• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Black and White (Spoiler Warning)

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Hatched/training Larvesta. Saying it's a long road to evolve is an understatement. :L

I really like a lot of the music, 'specially Driftveil. I'm in Anville Town right now for trading, I think I officially <3 the flute girl.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Curently on victory road with

Emboar Lv46
Krookodile Lv47
Nattorie Lv45
Druggigon Lv45
Emolga Lv31
Tranquill Lv27

I love the abiltiy Moxie, I just ripped through Drayden's team with a good collection of boosted Crunches.

Edit: His name is Brycen? whoops

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
I disagree. I think Brycen is probably the coolest Gym leader. He had absolutely 0 corny lines, he was just an awesome ****ing Ninja.
-DD

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yo.

GAME FREAK Morimoto is blowing me up.

wtf. even if his pokemon are not that good, but his levels are the same as alder's.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Blegh, I'm starting to hate Simisear. He's starting to become useless with his little moves he learns by level 25. Any good replacement for a fire type that isn't Darumaka?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
aside from reshiram and volcarona, the fire types are kinda lackluster.

im sure you might be able to use gluttony heatmore decently well though. dont like using berries in game tho

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I'd say Larvesta, but before evolving he's weaker at Special Attacks than regular. And it doesn't evolve until 59.

And you don't get him all too early. I myself went with breeding Fire Punch onto a Scraggy, lol.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
The zebra has a fire move. I found out the hard way. Poor snivy never knew what hit him. Litwick is a pretty awesome fire pick.

Otherwise, you can try veekun. That website is pretty easy to read and has a convenient list for all the available moves for whichever pokemon you care to look up.

One more badge to go but I don't want to finish :(. Got to say I ended up really liking the pokemon creations in this game. I like more designs this generation than the original. If I could, I'd carry ~15 pokemon on my team this game. I've found it difficult deciding who to keep and who to drop everyime a new one turns up! On the flipside, there's also been more bad designs this generation than the original (imo). I hated nearly every single pokemon I met in the first 4 hours.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
heart scales are mad e-z to get in this game, so im thankful for that.

oh yeahhh fuelbi, chandelure is another great fire type.

im assuming u didnt start with tepig haha, i use a very fiery team of emboar and chandelure.

heatmor and simisear are lackluster, but honestly i just dont really like gluttony as a skill. also im not really sure of the best berries to use for them lol. petaya is mediocreeeee cuz they are not that fast.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha

is that what you need a fire type for though? would u just like one cuz of type preference? cuz if you can teach swoobat a flying move, you could eat up grass types all day.

there are harddddly any grass types that have a secondary type that resists flying. pretty much ferrothorn... cradily lawl.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
No it's not just for that. There's also for the Ice and Steel Types

Eh, I guess I'll just use Gurdurr instead for those I guess because I give up on Simisear. He is so ridiculously mediocre that at this point he's just eating up space on my team

Which reminds me, I beat the Driftveil Gym right now

My team:

Scraggy lvl 28 (SCRAPPER)
Dewott lvl 29 (WOTTER)
Gurdurr lvl 27 (LORAX)
Swoobat lvl 28 (FRUITY)
Krokorok lvl 29 (DEALWITHIT)

And then Simisear was lvl 24... yeah he was that useless :/

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
well, once you get the flamethrower, flame charge, and fire blast tm's later in the game, that should help a lot.

fire pokemon eat brycen's gym FOR BREAKFAST.

i defeated that gym with an emboar, a fresh water, and a lemonade.

(in fact, all the gyms were incredibly easy. idk what game freak was thinking only giving them 3 pokemon each.

in gray i bet they'll have the gym rematches though, so that should be super fun.)

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
o_o How do I breed a Deimo to know Earth Power or Dark Pulse?
-DD

M3D

In the Game of Thrones, You Morph or You Die
BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
aside from reshiram and volcarona, the fire types are kinda lackluster.

im sure you might be able to use gluttony heatmore decently well though. dont like using berries in game tho
Whaaaaa...??? This gen is awesome for Fire. Besides the aforementioned Rashiram (dragon/fire = 100% unresisted STAB attacks) and Volcarona, you've also got cute legendary Victini that anyone with internet access can get right now, Darumaka who is a TOTAL BEAST, the solid Candelure line and Pignite's starter line, which seems to do pretty well during the RPG.

If you want to compare generations... I mean, we did get Infernape and Heatran last gen, but that was about it for Fire pokes. The gen before that had nothing of note to offer fire, nor did gen 2 apart from Ho-oh. You have to go all the way back to the first generation games to find a gen that had as many solid fire types to work with as Gen5.

honestly... I don't see any reason for people to play with Pignite's line unless they really just HAVE to use the fire starter. There are that many awesome potential replacements.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hm.

you're right!

i guess i was thinking too much of heatmor and simisear to remember victini. totally forgout about victini! and i guess i have a personal aversion toward darmanitan but he is pretty good

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yeah. and the fact that you can catch cubchoo/vanillite/cryogonal almost immediately before her gym...

she's free.

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
ZOMG... just caught Kyurem. That fight is HARD. Like, really, really hard. I'm predicting he gets an awesome new form in the third game.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
ZOMG... just caught Kyurem. That fight is HARD. Like, really, really hard. I'm predicting he gets an awesome new form in the third game.
I dunno about form, but they did confirm he "learns" a move that he can't actually learn in B/W.

Also, Deino with Dark Pulse: Get Arbok/Seviper from GenIV with Dark Pulse, breed in Gen V.

Deino with Earth Power: Move Tutor Garchomp to learn Earth Power in HG/SS, transfer to Gen V.

Now how do I get them to happen at the same time...breed Arbok with Dark Pulse wth Garchomp, move tutor the offspring to get Earth Power, then transfer...except no one learns Earth Power as an Egg move...gah.

I might just have to make two separate Deinos...

o_o

-DD

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I'm being a little slow at getting through the game for various reasons, but I had a decent amount of time to play today so I got up through the sixth gym and got Surf. I've also finally got most of my team compiled -- I'm only waiting for one more Pokémon now -- so I figure I'll post my team at the moment:

@ Level 43
Emboar (Avril)
- Flamethrower
- Arm Thrust
- Heat Crash
- Scald

@ Level 45
Reuniclus (Catalyst)
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power
- Psychic
- Dizzy Punch

@ Level 44
Carracosta (Invented)
- Bulldoze
- AncientPower
- Crunch
- Surf

@ Level 31
Axew (Jambi)
- Poison Jab
- X-Scissor
- False Swipe
- Dragon Claw

@ Level 15
Larvesta (Union Maid)
- Ember
- Will-O-Wisp
- Struggle Bug
- Acrobatics

@ Level 24
Tranquill (Flyleaf)
- Fly
- Air Cutter
- Roost
- Quick Attack

Just got Axew and Larvesta, so neither of them are very high-leveled, and Tranquill is only there until I get my Golurk and have another Pokémon for Fly. And all of my names are based on music, either artist or song, because I felt like it.

Larvesta/Volcarona overall seems like it's going to prove to be a pain with the fact that it doesn't evolve until so late, but honestly, the more I think about Volcarona, the more I feel like it may be my favorite Pokémon from this generation, so I think it's totally worth it. Between the awesome type combination, its concept, and its overall appearance, it's a really cool Pokémon.

With any luck, I'll be able to get my whole team up to speed tomorrow.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
once i get another ds and get to the poketransfer station

im gonna have SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANY POKEMON.

i have like 200+ trained pokemon waiting in my diamond ver including a competitive team of level 100 infernape/gyara/nite/swampert/ttar/i forgot, and my friend's 30 or so pokemon in a game she started when i let her borrow HG. various ubers, legendaries, and other strong 70+ pokemon. its gonna make me so happy to see all gen's integrated hahah.

argh. it's really bugging me that i can't remember the 6th pokemon on my team. i only remember the entire team was quite manly. cb ttar and cb nite? so good. cb nite outrage was freakin crazy. (mence's was comparable but extremespeed is too good.)

edit: I REMEMBER! it was a cosmic power jirachi! ahhhh i loved that thing! hahahahah!

omg i just realized i have two extra low level jirachis which i haven't decided what to do with yet! i can figure it out considering bw's deepened movesets! hahah. i wonder what jirachi can do that's different. it was always so versatile.

edit: nevermind. jirachi's gen iv only move choices are WAYYYYYYYYYYY better.

DLO

Smash Journeyman
Lol, i'm gonna fight with him with my Shedinja, since wild Kyurem can't apparently touch it ;)

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
(in fact, all the gyms were incredibly easy. idk what game freak was thinking only giving them 3 pokemon each.
Those are lies. The second gym was hard as hell with the Watchdog that lady had, and the electric gym is the bane of my existence. If it wasn't for the fact that Emonga wasn't part flying, I would've sweeped through her team no problem, but no, that woman stalled me. It was my overleveled Sandile with Mud Slap, Torment, Sand Tomb, and Assurance. I literally only had Assurance and Torment to use, and it was so much stall with Torment, then aerial ace, then Pursuit while I use a Hyper Potion. **** was horrible. And the Driftveil gym was ok. The only problem I found was the leader's Excadrill, but that was only because my entire team was at half health and he proceeded to sweep me because of that, so I came back then and kicked his ***

i guess i was thinking too much of heatmor and simisear to remember victini. totally forgout about victini! and i guess i have a personal aversion toward darmanitan but he is pretty good
Damn it man, Heatmor is at the Victory Road, Simisear... yeah. I refuse to use legendaries in my teams like Victini, and Darmanitan... eh.

Anyways, I got a Ferroseed to replace Simisear since I hear that Ferroseed is really good at stall in the game.

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Dude, don't "eh" darmanitan. I actually don't like fire types in general it became my team's MVP for large portions of the game for its pure awesomeness. The design isn't the most amazing thing in the world, but its very powerful, has a good movepool and to boot its really fast, meaning you can fight underleveled and still OHKO things with it so your team can keep plowing through the tougher gyms. If you refuse to use a legendary on your team then catch a Darumaka and roll with it. It's seriously a beast.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Makes the game too easy imo. If I have pokemon like Victini on my team, it'll be easy as hell to just sweep through teams with it and not adding any challenge, which is why I like to keep them for show.

Actually the only legendary pokemon I'll ever accept to use on my team is Celebi. And I think it's obvious at this point why I would use Celebi

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I hate people who refuse to use legendary pokemon for arbitrary reasons.
It's not really arbitrary. Legendaries are usually more powerful than other Pokémon, they usually start at a pretty decent level and require little to no training to sweep through opponents, and it takes away the homegrown, trained-by-yourself sort of feel of a team if you slap five legends in there, in my opinion.

Plus, I enjoy having evolutions to strive for, and legendaries don't evolve.

The last time I used a legendary at all, really, was back in Red, and that's because I was young enough at the time that I didn't know or care enough to do otherwise. Now I don't even like to use them at all, they tend to just rot in my box as trophies.

Well, no, I take that back. I used Shaymin for a solo run in Pearl. But I don't use them on teams.

Besides, as per the message of these very games...why does it matter if other people are/aren't using legendaries on their team? Let them use what they want to use and you can use what you want to.

Night-san

Smash Journeyman
It irritates me when people use their old Pokemon to get through a new game. My friend was having trouble with Ghetsis, so she just used her friend's Black Version ad a little trading to transfer over her EV trained sweeper Ninetales and kicked his butt with ease...

But really, if that's what it takes to make the game fun for you, to each their own, I guess.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Those are lies. The second gym was hard as hell with the Watchdog that lady had, and the electric gym is the bane of my existence. If it wasn't for the fact that Emonga wasn't part flying, I would've sweeped through her team no problem, but no, that woman stalled me. It was my overleveled Sandile with Mud Slap, Torment, Sand Tomb, and Assurance. I literally only had Assurance and Torment to use, and it was so much stall with Torment, then aerial ace, then Pursuit while I use a Hyper Potion. **** was horrible. And the Driftveil gym was ok. The only problem I found was the leader's Excadrill, but that was only because my entire team was at half health and he proceeded to sweep me because of that, so I came back then and kicked his ***
It's not our fault that you didn't bother to consider catching the correct Pokemon for the gym before going on. I mean seriously, they offered it for almost every gym some time beforehand. And I beat the **** out of Elesa with Scraggy. Jus' sayin.

Use Sawk (and maybe Throh, not sure) for the 2nd Gym if you don't want to train something. Just use it throughout the gym and you seriously will not have to worry about anything. Use Blitzle for the 4th Gym. Emolga doesn't do **** to it and Blitzle can **** it up.

I'm pretty sure you can do this for most gyms. And the ones you can't, I'm betting there's something on your standard team that rips it apart anyway. So yeah. No worries.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i was undefeated in the game until my first few runs through the elite four. after a few times i was used to them and their strategies though, and during my failed runs, my krookodile kept leveling. dark type + moxie = two dead elite four.

N was pretty easy mode. LOL his lead reshiram actually beat my lead zekrom, but i cleaned it up with krookodile for a free moxie boost. then swept his team.

ghetsis was a little harder, that hydreigon was pretty good, and i had to max revive emboar for another brick break to kill it.

and now

i'm still getting BLOWN UP by morimoto. can almost beat him though.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
It's not our fault that you didn't bother to consider catching the correct Pokemon for the gym before going on. I mean seriously, they offered it for almost every gym some time beforehand. And I beat the **** out of Elesa with Scraggy. Jus' sayin.

Use Sawk (and maybe Throh, not sure) for the 2nd Gym if you don't want to train something. Just use it throughout the gym and you seriously will not have to worry about anything. Use Blitzle for the 4th Gym. Emolga doesn't do **** to it and Blitzle can **** it up.

I'm pretty sure you can do this for most gyms. And the ones you can't, I'm betting there's something on your standard team that rips it apart anyway. So yeah. No worries.
I thought the part ground type crocodile was the right choice over the part fighting type gangster seeing as Emonga has Aerial Ace and that it could easily tear through a fighting type. Zebrastrike was easy as hell though. All he could do with Sandile out was his fire type move and Pursuit or and he went down quickly to Sand Tomb

For the second gym I just quickly resolved that with Timburr after I found out how hard it actually was without him

And I had completely forgotten about Shandera. I think I'll use that instead of Ferroseed.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Hey guys, how do Surveys work? i realize I get answers by passing by people but..I've got to find a 100 people IRL to complete a survey? Or do online friends count?

Steelia

Smash Champion
Evolved that Fire/Bug last night, grinding from 30+ almost entirely in Victory Road. Tryin to let loose a little rage against those blasted Deino and their non-sparkling MM eggs. Stupid dragon thing.

Still need to capture the actual Fire/Bug, among other things. This game... Just too much.

Top Bottom