• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pocket Monsters Inc. (The General Spriting Thread)

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Personally i just use my Schools PS and i use GIMP on my PC's but who cares ohh and i feel like this is happening to me next week.

**** you Mid terms
Mid terms???

My schedule may be different from yours because I got a self-paced school but isn't exam time? All the schools over are having our exam for semester 1 right now. Mid term for semester 1 happened in like early november.

Anyway, I have english 1D (academic) exams tommorow so I better study.

*waits for the "You cant study english!" replies*

-:bowser:Bowser King

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Mid terms???

My schedule may be different from yours because I got a self-paced school but isn't exam time? All the schools over are having our exam for semester 1 right now. Mid term for semester 1 happened in like early november.

For many people, midterms happen in the middle of the year, rather than a semester.

Mine are coming up, too. I'm not planning on studying.

Mewter

Smash Master

You can't study English!
Of course, it is mandarintory....
*waits for the groans*
I already took my midterms. :p

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
Yep, here's the site http://www.gimp.org/

If you want to learn how to splice, read the tutorial I posted http://www.dragonflycave.com/recoloring.aspx

Other than that, learn as you go along. That's what I do.
thanks. but in GIMP, how do you make the background transparent? also, can anyone explain to me how to set up the splices (transparent) on Paint.net or GIMP?

lol, proud of my Slakoth, I redid this Stinkoman avatar (it was ridiculously easy compared to Pokemon Sprites)

-:bowser: Bowser King handsockpuppet

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
For many people, midterms happen in the middle of the year, rather than a semester.

Mine are coming up, too. I'm not planning on studying.
Maybe in the US and supposedly BC :p

Over here (Ontario) we have mid-terms then finals (exams). Then semester 2 starts and we get 4 new subjects. The pattern repeats and we get a mid-term in march and the semester 2 exams in june.

lol @ handsockpuppet

Darkslash

Smash Master
Mid terms???

We just call our Exams Mid Terms becuase it happens in the middle of Term 2 of our Trimester. Our final Major Exams are Provincals and i can tell you, they're really a pain in the ***.

P.S One of my favorite Inside jokes ever.

M.K

Level 55
Hey I have a new sprite I made, any suggestions.

Charpuff
Fire/Flying
The parts don't mix, it is very copy/paste. Try scratching.
Do not just add parts here and there. It looks awkward for a reason.

I'm not holding back anymore, the world is plagued with enough crappy spriters (See Firus) to fill a moderately sized bathtub.

I'm just kidding, Firus. You are an awesome spriter!

A_man13

Smash Master

Charpuff
Fire/Flying
Cool. It would be cool if you could incorperate some of charizards facial features into jigglypuff, but that would require scratching and that isn't easy.

I had to scratch shading and some pieces here and there. Could be much better.

M.K

Level 55
R I included? :( I'm not a real pro....

Meta-Kirby: Yes you suck

NOOOOOO

No seriously, am I a horrible spriter?
You are a spriter in progress, hence, you are exempted. You are also a modest spriter, so you are not the person who is like "HEY MY SPRITES are teH 1137. Look at my Jigglioclefairyman!"

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
lol, splicings too confusing for me still :( I just don't get how to get the sprite on an invisible background. I've got GIMP and everything. I also don't really get the lasso thing and other ways to copy+paste.

BTW: HEY MY SPRITES are teH 1337. Look at my Slakoth redone again!"

M.K

Level 55
lol, splicings too confusing for me still :( I just don't get how to get the sprite on an invisible background. I've got GIMP and everything. I also don't really get the lasso thing and other ways to copy+paste.

BTW: HEY MY SPRITES are teH 1337. Look at my Slakoth redone again!"

Urk, it's bad. The colors make my retina die a little, and the outline is inconsistent.
Tip: Do not ever use the default Paint colors. Ever. Never. EVER.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
yah, it's my very first one. but I didn't use default colors. but should I keep some brown, or switch them all to dark green?

A_man13

Smash Master
That sprite is superbly done, A-Man! I'm shocked!

However, it doesn't seem "finished", ya know? Add some pupils...some more legs, or SOMETHING!

9/10 so far!
Any tips on where? The legs are, for the most part, blocked by the claws and the original sprite is pupal-less. And thanks.

M.K

Level 55
Any tips on where? The legs are, for the most part, blocked by the claws and the original sprite is pupal-less. And thanks.
You are correct. It is tough to place legs.
Actually, I'll come clean, I didn't see the legs behind the claws at first. It looks great!

ANYWAYS.

HEY MC!

Introducing: Gardrake!

A_man13

Smash Master
Actually, I'll come clean, I didn't see the legs behind the claws at first. It looks great!

ANYWAYS.

HEY MC!

Placing the legs wasn't tough at all. Placing the Claws, however, took work as tiny legs, big claws, go on top of each other.

Finally got that done, eh? Seems like you did a superb job scratching. Honestly it feels a bit poison-ish, though. Might just be the fact that I associate snake-type things with arbok and Seviper, which are poison. If anything, maybe flip it so the lighting is uniform with other sprites.

M.K

Level 55
Placing the legs wasn't tough at all. Placing the Claws, however, took work as tiny legs, big claws, go on top of each other.

Finally got that done, eh? Seems like you did a superb job scratching. Honestly it feels a bit poison-ish, though. Might just be the fact that I associate snake-type things with arbok and Seviper, which are poison. If anything, maybe flip it so the lighting is uniform with other sprites.
Well, the only "dragon" I could think of was something like Salamence, and Gardevoir is BETTER than that piece o' crap, so I went to the "serpent" route.
Ehh, it was tough....I might just leave it be :chuckle:

A_man13

Smash Master
Well, the only "dragon" I could think of was something like Salamence, and Gardevoir is BETTER than that piece o' crap, so I went to the "serpent" route.
Ehh, it was tough....I might just leave it be :chuckle:
Garchomp? Dragonite? Kingdra? Flygon? Barney?

Come to think of it, most of the pokes I consider dragons are usually flying types. Charizard (He yells dragon and the fire type helps this even further), Gyrados (serphent route), etc.

MY PARACRUEL IS IN SOMEONE'S AVI!

zrky

Smash Lol'd
Wait, CS4? Buying or downloading illegal?

From what I know, CS3 is the only one you can download online for free.

..and thanks for the comments guys :)

umm, I get the adobe free trial, and then I just use this app called KCNScrew and it has allot of program sereal codes so yeah:)

A_man, that is very well made, considering it's tentacruel which is IMO VERY hard to work with.

A_man13

Smash Master
umm, I get the adobe free trial, and then I just use this app called KCNScrew and it has allot of program sereal codes so yeah:)

A_man, that is very well made, considering it's tentacruel which is IMO VERY hard to work with.
Thanks. It's not that tough to fuse, though. I actually might try a shroomish + Tentacruel one if I get bored. Tough part is finding something to do with the tenticles or deleting them (in which you have to scratch a main body).

The other version of it (it was a request) is so much better, though:

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974

Marozard

Looks great, BK. My only complaint is that I can still see some of Marowak's skull's original color around the outline and such. Other than that, looks awesome.

Charpuff
Fire/Flying
Yay, fire-breathing Jigglypuff!

Still simple and very copy-paste, but I don't have much right to say anything since...I'm very copy-paste. The tail might've been better lying on the ground, or maybe a little bit shorter to match with Jiggs's small size, but overall good.

The outline around the tail also looks a little weird in one part, although that might just be the dark background.
It's good that you didn't just do a copy-flip for the wings, too -- I see you changed the shading on the right wing to reflect the different position.

The parts don't mix, it is very copy/paste. Try scratching.
Do not just add parts here and there. It looks awkward for a reason.

I'm not holding back anymore, the world is plagued with enough crappy spriters (See Firus) to fill a moderately sized bathtub.

I'm just kidding, Firus. You are an awesome spriter!
Well...no offense, but he is a beginning spriter. He has to learn to scratch eventually if he really wants to improve his spriting but he may not be able to at his current state of spriting. I mean, again, not even I can scratch and I've been working with sprites for 3+ years, and editing them for about two and a half. I mean, I can scratch but when I do it takes me about two hours to do so and it ends up looking crappy; look to Vibravuno for confirmation of that.

I appreciate the compliments, and I know you're not aiming anything at me or trying to aim things at me, but...I feel like I sort of just add parts here and there when I sprite.

You are a spriter in progress, hence, you are exempted. You are also a modest spriter, so you are not the person who is like "HEY MY SPRITES are teH 1137. Look at my Jigglioclefairyman!"
Again, not trying to start an argument here, but are you referring to SpelignFial? I honestly don't think he thinks he's an awesome spriter or anything, he seems to just want to start spriting and he's looking for critique. That's what it seems like to me, anyways.

A_man13

Smash Master
Why does it seem like everyone wants to fuse charizard+ anything? Maybe I should do either a charizard fusion (or gyravire, the other competetive pokemon joke).

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Why does it seem like everyone wants to fuse charizard+ anything? Maybe I should do either a charizard fusion (or gyravire, the other competetive pokemon joke).
Probably because...

A) Charizard is cool.
B) Charizard has wings, which are always fun to tack onto things...because they're so easy to, really.
C) With wings and a distinguishable tail he has more easy-to-fuse-with features.

A_man13

Smash Master
Probably because...

A) Charizard is cool.
B) Charizard has wings, which are always fun to tack onto things...because they're so easy to, really.
C) With wings and a distinguishable tail he has more easy-to-fuse-with features.
I can see A being the real reason, with B and C being honors and benefits. There just seems to be a lot of people wanting to use him.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I can see A being the real reason, with B and C being honors and benefits. There just seems to be a lot of people wanting to use him.
Well, people probably look at Charizard initially because of A, but legendaries also come up in that sometimes. And with the exception of ones like Mewtwo and Mew, those generally aren't very easy to work with, so B and C are probably the reasons he gets picked over other cool Pokemon.

M.K

Level 55
@Firus, what do you think of my Gardevoir Dragon?

NO SCHOOL TOMORROW BECAUSE OF SNOWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
@Firus, what do you think of my Gardevoir Dragon?
It looks really awesome. I have the same comment as A_man -- it feels a little more like a poison type than dragon, but it's not completely void of dragon-esque qualities, it's just easier to see poison in it. And I was **** out of ideas for a Dragon-type Gardevoir, so the fact that you managed it is already laudable (Latin derivatives for the win; can you tell me which word it comes from? :p).

One other question; this makes it look kind of funky and artistic, but I'm just curious; why the white outline?

Wow, that looks REALLY nice. I love the red tips on everything. Really makes it look like a new Pokemon in and of itself, if...well, as usual, the other two didn't already exist.

Thanks. With one (er, two) exceptions, I've been pumping out some good ones lately, haven't I?
Yes, you really have. You're doing really well.

I'M SO GOD**** TIRED. WORK FOR THE LOSE.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord

ANYWAYS.

HEY MC!

That looks badass, I wont lie. I didn't think it would look like that, but jeez, I'm glad you didn't go with what I had in mind. I think that is sig worthy too... XD.

It does kinda look a little poison-ish though due to color.

Actually, come to think of it, it looks more like a Naga then a Dragon, its stil cool though XD.

Ugh, I think I'll set it to my Avvi, but I can't put up a personal photo >.<, it wont load for some reason.

Ok, sorry for reposting this image, but I need to ask...

Is it alright if I was just staring at this picture for 20 minutes in the eyes? I dunno, but it looks just that good... >.>

Top Bottom