• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playstyle Evaluation (Please read 1st post)

AXE 09

Smash Master
So I've decided to create this thread to play a little game. Hopefully this game will benefit every player that posts in it by providing feedback with their individual playstyles.

The game goes like this:

For the person that posted last in this thread, evaluate their gameplay.

You can define their gameplay such as campy, aggressive, defensive, high-leveled, low-leveled, excessively-techskilled, undeveloped-techskilled, nub-like, pro, risky, offensive, etc. etc.

Basically, just talk about the way they play and the style they use based on what you have seen. It is encouraged to write lengthy posts, so that way the person before you can get good feedback. Many smashers are unaware of the style they use to play. Some people say "I never camp, do I?" or "I never understand why I lose... Am I really that aggressive and get gimped that much?", so maybe this thread will give each smasher an better understanding of their own gameplay.

If you're pretty sure that not many people have seen you play, please post a video {preferably multiple videos of ACTUAL matches (aka not combo videos), hopefully tournament matches} of yourself. If the person above you does not post a video and you honestly don't know his/her playstyle, simply state that you do not know their playstyle, so that way your playstyle will be defined by the next smasher that posts.

My name will be the first to be evaluated by whoever is the first person to post in this thread.

Also, I encourage all of you to post multiple times. This way, your playstyle will be defined by multiple players so you can have input from more than just one person.

Hopefully this will benefit everyone :)

EDIT:

There's only 2 things that your post should contain:

1) The critique of the playstyle for the player who LAST POSTED (please only critique 1 person, and don't skip anyone)
2) A statement describing that you do not know the playstyle of the person who last posted. The next person who posts after you should evaluate your gameplay (or state that they don't know your gameplay). Also, post videos of yourself if you think that not many people have seen you play.

Please DO NOT:

1) Evaluate your own gameplay. The purpose of this thread is to get the critique of others, not to state what you think your own playstyle is like
2) Evaluate the playstyle of someone other than the last person who posts. Please don't go back like 7 posts ago and evaluate that person's playstyle just because you like them or something. Every single person who posts in this thread should have the following person evaluate their gameplay.
3) Post things about the player that they SHOULD do without actually evaluating their current playstyle. In other words, don't post things like "You should try to use more mindgames, etc...". Instead, you can post "You're not very agressive. You like to camp, and you haven't quite reached the advanced levels of play yet. YOU CAN FIX THIS BY dash dancing more, etc..." Just make sure to evaluate their gameplay before you tell them how to fix it. I recommend to NOT give anyone advice on different things to do. Just tell them things about the way they currently are.
4) Post something completely random. I'm trying to help everyone out here, so please try to cooperate.

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
@ Dr PP

Fairs with Falco. (You dont really see a lot of that, most falcos are dair happy)

Patient and aggressive, entertaining to watch.

I wish I got to comment on my ***** Axe, I hope my ***** Axe comments on me.

AXE 09

Smash Master
LOL you guys are awesome XD

I wish I was able to comment on PP cuz he's amazing! =D

But IRL is one of the most awesomest persons in Cali :)

IRL: Although you're not quite at the stages of "above-average" yet, you have all of your techskill down and you're developing an origional style with all of your characters. In particular, I've noticed how good you are at spacing your dash dances and being able to determine the percise timing at which you should attack.

overall, you are very evasive, being able to dodge many attacks using mindgames, not camping. Somewhat aggressive once you get a hit. You still have a ways to go before you reach the top levels, but I see much potential in the way that you move you characters.

aside from gameplay, you're freakin awesome in person :)

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I've been told i'm very defenseive. But I feel like I approach more than I should as pichu.

Because I can't combo and still have problems edge gaurding at times, I reile mostly on mindgames and spaceing(movement). I would think i'm somewhat techical because well compared to other pichus i've seen so far, i'm much more techical. I think i'm just a little more defenseive than offesnive. But I think how I play depends on what they do and if I feel what i'm doing is working if not i'll randomly mix-up how I play.

Like in the middle of pichu dittos I figured out a good way of camping because I rememebered I outrange him, the match lasted nearly 7 minutes on PS I won. But I also believe in the honor system meaning I rarly ever chain throw even as the ice climbers. I will camp and I enjoy it sometimes.

I think i'm kindof of an adpative player, but I still need to improve that, combos, edge gaurds, and master my tech skill(up-B stuff). Then I know for a fact I'll be to good.

VA

Smash Hero
A few people have told me I play a trap/zoning style, which I thought was cool and probably true.

It's all about positioning yourself (and as such your opponent) :)

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
i'll do lovage

fast, wild, does the stuff you thought was pointless to try

just gets a little too caught up in it at times

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
This thread is quite amazing. Above poster plays like his father. :3 Just kidding I don't really know this person's playstyle. I am not really sure myself of my playstyle, and I would like for people to critique me. Although I don't have vids up yet, hopefully I will in the futuer. :3 I go to tournies when I can, so I hope I can get some sort of recorder when I get the chance.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
Big D, Plays Falcon like a smooth criminal, and His falco is very textbook with some ingenuity. The shield break knee in the foxhole on stadium was tooooo good

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
wait a sec. Does any one have a plan or idea/ thought about what they're going to do in a match? Like I don't play trying to gimp people, try to set-up up grabs, I play as I see a chance. If I think I can land a grab I'll go for it and do the step ups and stuff. So I geuss one should expect nothing from me because I don't go for anything.

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
A few people have told me I play a trap/zoning style, which I thought was cool and probably true.

It's all about positioning yourself (and as such your opponent) :)
Yeah :laugh: while you were in vancouver all the top 10 just plays spacies/falcon/marth and you came and just throw out weird hitboxes at right times and it works. :mad:

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
ok ICG and Co., youre gonna derail this thread, axe and everyone else who actually is playing by axe's rules asks that you chill before this thread completely fails

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
^- I only watched you vs lovage money match

You don't seem reckless at all. You don't really just run in with nair or anything too predictable like that. You try to intercept full jumps / hit them when they're above you in general, good chip damage and way of scaring opponent into not full jumping too much. You're patient with tech chases; you react instead of preemptively guessing where your opponent is gonna go, which is good I think because too many Falcon's kinda just take blind guesses when they could easily punish techs just by waiting an extra second.

Overall style kind of reminds of me ss (as opposed to darkrain, hax, scar for example) but a little more on the defensive side / less tricky, pretty textbook for the most part, but being texbook / having foundations is the most important thing, and I think like 99% of players forget that.

Things I didn't like: You miss random L cancels which makes you look alot worse than you probably are LOL. Too many shield grabs, you go for a shield grab just about every time a Fox drills you. ionno I don't think it's good to rely on shieldgrabs because it's not something that really needs to be practiced (except cc->shield grab).

Things I liked: Aggressive edgeguarding at times. I love watching Falcon just jumping out / bairing / kneeing and stuff like that. You go for simple / automatic combos. stomp -> knee is the way to go. You're defensive without being campy. You take your time and look pretty composed most of the time (except the occasional missing of an L cancel as mentioned LOL)

This wasn't really organized well or anything, I kinda just wrote stuff. Sorry if there are contradictions, these are just things based on first impressions. Hope that helped.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
edit:
got ninjaed, sorry animal :(

zhuuuuu:
your critque was very accurate, i miss too many lcancels, and when i do i get all pissy and start missing more of them and making bad decisions.

You're so good. I typed up a whole 2 paragraphs, then i accidently hit "back" and lost it, so im gonna have to try to remember what i said.

You've come a long way from getting beasted on by SS every tourney. Eliminating Darkrain AND SS @ Pound? Something you should be VERY PROUD of for the rest of your smash career if not for the rest of your life!

As a Falcon main i try not to watch too many Falco vids, but I've watched every Happy Feet multiple times, and watch every HMW video thats has Zhu() in the title. You can be too hard on yourself at times. (I have this same problem) You do the right thing alot alot, and it just so happens that when you mess up, it takes you a few minutes to get your swag back. If you were more consistent, you'd be a top 5 player in the world, easily.

Also Zhu(Peach) > Lucky(Fox)

Tai:
Taking matches off Darkrain? Legit. Training and playing with Forward and other AZ super-pros? You're no scrub. You've picked a character who was/has slightly stagnated in terms of popularity, so that hurts you're overall "good player aura." Just keep it up and in the not so distant future people will mention you as a peer of M2K instead of "another black marth who wants to be m2k"

dont critique me, zhu already did a great job. Critique Animal.

Zodiac

Smash Master

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
Guys, if you want to talk about yourself go make your own blog or a thread in Character Specific, no1 cares what you think about yourself, play by axe's rules.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
i'm gonna do zodiac and animal to get this back on track

animal: good, solid style overall, you seem way way more comfortable on fd than the other stages. you are nice and fast and solid with comboing, ending more combos with up smash than most foxes, but you seem to slow down a little bit when youre just sort of working your way up to falco. work on using some quicker movement just around the stage and back and forth in order to mess with spacing a little more, keep people on their toes that way.

zodiac: work on tech skill a little more, especially upthrow uairs on jiggs. you can also play a much higher pressure game on jiggs with nairs and shines so long as you trust your l cancels. you dont even have to worry about being super technical, just nair, shine, then fulljump away just to see what they do. i was impressed with the amounts of grabs you got to make up for that though.

im interested in some specific advice so im gonna post a few vids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A81L4aeapjw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6g7i-SwZ_4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MajC2ENi08w

and one falco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM_Kd-4OUoc

AXE 09

Smash Master
BigD: From what I saw in the videos, you're pretty aggressive. If your opponent doesn't approach you, then you'll approach them pretty much all the time. You'll put a lot of pressure on whoever you're fighting by constantly being in their face. The way you approach is really good. Unlike a lot of people, you approach with mindgames instead of just charging in with a shffl'd nair or something. You'll DD in front of them, WD maybe a little, THEN attack, or something along those lines. You like to follow your opponents, never really running away from them. I noticed that wherever your opponent was, you followed them, so they couldn't really escape. I like your style, keep it up.

tdk_Samurai

Smash Ace

LLDL

Smash Hero
tdk Samurai: has excellent reaction time, makes use of Pika's bread and butter combos. Bold, doesn't camp too much, the only thing that gets you down is minor technical errors. Does seem to sit in your shield a lot while being pressured though, on a side note. That might just be inexperience while being pressured. Just work on those areas and I'll be even more afraid than I already am.

My falco http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOp9Qc_L34M

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
tdk Samurai: has excellent reaction time, makes use of Pika's bread and butter combos. Bold, doesn't camp too much, the only thing that gets you down is minor technical errors. Does seem to sit in your shield a lot while being pressured though, on a side note. That might just be inexperience while being pressured. Just work on those areas and I'll be even more afraid than I already am.

My falco http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOp9Qc_L34M
^ Makes good decisions and can gimp sheik

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Very good at pitching a tent. You set up at one side of the level and camp like hell. You're patient and wait for your opponent's approach and punish. You really need to work on not getting grabbed so much. Sometimes it seems like you get a little impatient and start trying to combo before the other guy makes a mistake and you get punished.

Might've been an improper review. me=kinda scrubby low tier main

I'd say don't watch the marth halves of the videos, cuz they're me being bad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_jhjlCC4_c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdXXXQD3yms

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
Very good at pitching a tent. You set up at one side of the level and camp like hell. You're patient and wait for your opponent's approach and punish. You really need to work on not getting grabbed so much. Sometimes it seems like you get a little impatient and start trying to combo before the other guy makes a mistake and you get punished.

Might've been an improper review. me=kinda scrubby low tier main

I'd say don't watch the marth halves of the videos, cuz they're me being bad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_jhjlCC4_c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdXXXQD3yms
I only watched the first one of your Roy. You DD in and then wavedash back a lot. You fair to much and don't use nair or forwardB enough. You go for fsmashes at low percentages instead of dtilt to set up juggles or combos into fsmash. You'd be a lot better if you diversified your movement patterns and started working in more grabs to techchases.

Jeff, you'll never be able to analyze me! Mwahaha
Sheik: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3ePj8swZuc
Marth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY8eohq7JB8
Samus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GIbZk29cgU
Young Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB3o-m9mKUg
Bowser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMly0ki100o

I.B

Smash Lord
edit: oops, i got ninja'd. this critique was for darkoblivion12

^ I don't know much about Roy, but I noticed a couple things.

For the most part, you play him safely, which you should. I would have liked to see more d-tilt in your tech chasing, it's one of Roy's better moves. Also, I noticed you like to play near the edge and get your opponent off stage (Ganon), but you could use some work on your edgeguarding in general. Replace those "tipped" f-smashes with charged B's, and jab/d-tilt him if he tries to drift right onto the ledge.

@RedShadow

Pretty good for the most part. Your play-style is a mix of Defensive/Aggressive with just a little bit more on the Defensive side, which is fine (Sheik = fake approaching). Overall, I noticed you like to dash attack against Falco a lot, which is good at mid-high percents, but kind of dangerous at low percents. Practice landing grabs/boost grabs more often and work on tech chasing to death, it'll make your life vs spacies a whole lot easier.

(axe sorry about breaking the rules !!!)

Me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_46tKe5VF-I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmB_QckRBXM

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
Im evaluating I.B's playstyle.

Few things i noticed about you.

You, like other canadian players, have great technical skill. You seem to have a very patient play style with Marth. You also punish alot with Fsmash.

You don't really approach. Closing the gap i feel is what makes marth a very scary and unpredictable char. Marth has the range to box in players to make them feel that any move is futile. You do a great job of that.

I will say though that you don't punish people as much as you could. It seems that you do have an idea of what you want your opponent to do, but you kinda just react and punish accordingly. Try practicing better ways to punish people faster. You do a great job of controlling but you aren't getting the job done.

I don't have any recent videos showing how i play recently, but if you have seen me play or a video from the past a critique would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
some1 critique this guy. (ruby skipped him, you *******) im at school and cant right now, plus ive already been critiqued.
At the time of posting, the person above me did not have any links to his videos.

Also I find it totally unfair that you had mother****ing Zhu evaluating you, then I get a low-tier main. :(

-RedShadow

Smash Ace
Use more uthrow->uair vs Doc at low percents, instead of trying to get him off the stage at that moment (I'm assuming it doesn't work when he's high..?)

Foy

Smash Champion
@Trahh.

:19 - :22. Learn to read techs/rolls more often. You just waited there.

I also notice you get scared alot and spot dodge alot.

>_> Cut dat **** out.

Top Bottom