• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pivot grabbing out of shield

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
i did this by accident once one i was trying to pivot grab an di was trying to figure out wth was going on. thanks for discovering this
:))

Flipstar

Smash Journeyman
Am I supposed to be seeing shield animation when I do this?

Edit: I sometimes see some shield animation and sometimes i don't

Timing's tight T_T

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Wow, then this information is like, months old. Gonzo made a post about this a loooong time ago. He emphasized the powershield dash grab, but he mentioned that you could pivot grab too. I guess its nice to know you can do it with the c-stick, but the joystick only seems much easier.
The joystick is in fact much much much harder.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
I'm experimenting with this right now, and I've realized that you don't need to press diagonal down and back on the C-stick, you can just press back. Same exact thing, only easier.

fishcube

Smash Rookie
Wiimote-nunchucker's can't do it :(
Wiimote-nunchuck users can do it. You can either just set the d-pad left/right to Smashes, or, if your timing is good enough, just shield, press left and your attack button to do the same thing.

The Truth!

Smash Ace

Atomsk_92

Smash Hero
Not really, the only thing thats difficult is the timing. I practiced this a lot when it was first discovered, its considerably more natural then using the c-stick and less awkward to shield unless youre used to shielding with L.

Anyways, heres the original thread where this was first discovered:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=215653

And a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BxjoDZUjiA
You realise that that video is not what i'm talking about?

I tend to roll on accident far more often when I do that.
But at the very least it's safer than doing an attack that could get punished. When I use the diagonal method I end up having a smash mistake instead of a roll mistake.

I can't seem to get this down. How soon after you shield do you hit back-down on the C-stick?
Almost immeditaly I would say. I've gotten it down with moderate success. It's not like I can do it flawlessly.

Niko_K

Smash Master
Going to have to say I am dissapoint

I thought the boards already knew about this simple game mechanic XD

<3 Atomsk

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Oh yah... down registers as a grab, up is Up smash OoS (if you have tap j ump on IIRC, or it's another grab) and left/right is rolling....

Mind testing the above for me? someone's on the TV and I'm unable to test. :x
umm..tap jump off [c set to smash] im getting grabs by shielding and pressing up on the c-stick

rolling is left/right

if you try to pivot at the incorrect time you'll do a roll instead, so as long as youve got a slide while in shield you can do it

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Apparently the game must consider movement having priority over a roll when you act out of shield.
not very useful for me unless I use Marth

Actually perhaps there are a few frames during the shield that the game doesn't actually consider the character shielding. I've noticed if I dash shield grab too quickly I get a dash grab instead.

1nconspikuous

Smash Apprentice
i thought this would be more useful against crossups, but it seems you have to be running to pivot grab out of the shield (i.e. you can't be shielding stationary facing the opponent who is crossup...ping... and then turn-around grab after the contact. lol.)

in any case, i don't think i'd be able to use this as i'm not pro enough to use that ~1 frame powershield for anything.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Old news, besides Yoshi can't perform OoS options. :\

Normal Pivot-Grabbing is crucial, however.

Lol Niko.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
This is actually very old.

There's a way to Pivot Grab OoS which isn't as situational as this: Press the analog stick back while pressing C-stick forward and Z at the same time.

exdia_16

Smash Journeyman
so when you hold shied and then press A you will grab so if you hold the same buttons then hit c-stick it counts as a attack thats kool and useful a good mind game this will really help.

Riickable

Smash Cadet
This technique is genius.

I'll put some effort into finding out what Tether Grabbers like Link and Zamus have to say about this.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Does this work if you set your C-stick to "Attack" rather than "Smash"? For some reason, when I tried this out just now I wouldn't turn around when I C-sticked diagonally down+behind after shielding; I would just do a standing grab.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
All considering, it should

See, in this game, the C-stick isn't actually an independant "button input." When set to smash, it images that you mashed your joystick in a direction and hit A at the same time.

Now, for this technique, the main advantage is the powershield you are able to execute. Pivot grabs have a huge amount of range, and let you grab characters who approach you when you do them retreated. However, retreating pivot grabs aren't really useful against some characters like Marth, MK, or Ike because they have huge disjointed hitboxes that you can't grab that they use to attack you. So, if you dash backwards, and then execute this technique, you can powershield the opponent and grab them. Now, some might argue that you could just stand still and grab them with a powershield, but for spacing purposes, and for the purpose of more grab range and MOVING which helps hinder your opponent's spacing, this technique is good. It's also helpful for countering and performing cross-ups.

All and all, this technique isn't going to be "The new way to grab". Like most techniques of it's kind, it's situational, but it's still useful. Basically you use it to get your opponent off your back while you're running away by powershielding their chase and grabbing them. It's probably also more useful in projectile situations (think, Glide Toss approach).

metroid1117

Smash Master
All considering, it should

See, in this game, the C-stick isn't actually an independant "button input." When set to smash, it images that you mashed your joystick in a direction and hit A at the same time.
I know this is getting a little off-topic here, but then what happens when the C-stick is set to "Attack"? I understand what happens when the C-stick is set to "Smash" - that's why you auto-fastfall DAirs after the peak of your jump when you C-stick them. However, when you set the C-stick to "Attack", auto-fastfall DAirs never happen unless the move is programmed to do it (TL, Sheik, IC, etc.); why is that? Would it have any effect on executing this technique?

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
You do this by simply

Dash

Shield

Right after you shield Push the Cstick diagonally down in the direction you'd pivot grab.

By doing this you still have the momentum from dash shielding and you'll pivot grab

It helps G&W the most imo

Discuss?
Cool Stuff

Julio_TFP

Smash Cadet
lol this is fun but what is he utility if it??
i don't think you actuallystill have your momentum of your shielddash.....
Is the same Pivot Grab OOS. But with more range.

Is useful, but not a lot. Is very similar with the Boost Pivot Grab.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
apparently the c stick registers as grab
the c stick registers as grab
c stick registers as grab
c stick registers grab
c stick= grab
Sooooo that's how it works.... hmmmmmmm ;)
(while holding an item) shield> c-stick left/right> roll
We are canceling a grab and adding momentum by rolling but that is canceled by a throwing animation.

If this is true wouldn't we be able to find a new way to cancel a grab? We might even be able to input a roll.

Top Bottom