• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PGD: Happy Birthday, Red!

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Well it's not that I get bothered for just a joke. I just find it a little wrong that someone would make jokes about something bad that recently happened. Idk, I'm just like that.

But you are right though, fz. I can tell you that.

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
Welcome to the modern cynical world where cursing is also no longer considered blasphemy.

Cassio

Smash Master
lmao I died at 'This tells me another story, Dollface'. Also agree with Ussi. Fad eeveelutions make wish Id asked for eevee in private but Ill wait it out. And finding the reddit zombie would mean having to go on reddit.
/hate

Have a tournament in AZ this week thats being partially-funded by a donor :bee:. Yay for paid vacations. I want to prepare since I did poor at the last two locals + its AZ so competition shouldnt be too difficult compared to here, but for some reason I have a hard time sitting down and dedicating the time to it.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
wow kaylo that felt pretty good behaving that way, teach me how to do that more? (<3 omgplzdntkillme)
True wisdom is gained only through trial and error. :smirk:

Also, I'm going to kill you.

I want to prepare since I did poor at the last two locals + its AZ so competition shouldnt be too difficult compared to here, but for some reason I have a hard time sitting down and dedicating the time to it.
Because the game is boring? =X But good luck anyways.

Cassio

Smash Master
Thanks. And thats true, but then again preparing/studying/training for anything is boring, or at least getting started is. Id rather just be successful on talent and experience but nothing ever seems to be that simple and for most things it tends to be effort that makes the difference. Plus losing makes things even more boring.

Cassio

Smash Master
Well if just playing the game was enough to do well everyone would be pro by now, lol. Mostly the issue is I have to prioritize other things during the time Im capable of game training now that I think about it. Ill get to it eventually.

Cassio

Smash Master
Not according to the pros, unless that includes training since I guess thats technically playing the game excessively.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
If you keep playing the game, there will be changes in your playstyle, whether it's good or bad.

You read the pika MUs, correct?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
That's because most of the pros like to say goofy things.
Like that MK and Pikachu is even. :applejack:

Cassio

Smash Master
Well most people who are exceptionally good at something tend to be a lil' eccentric especially when compared with the standard. Although a better word may be abnormal. But if theres one thing Ive learned about making judgements its to never judge things laced too strongly with popular opinion.

And yes Vinyl

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I've been looking at that MU thread.

You should try to follow what you should do when playing against a character.
Like saying, you should do this and avoid that. And you should really keep on practicing on reading your opponent at anytime possible.

I should know that you have been doing that, so yeah. I'm not the good at giving out tips, but just keep playing. You'll improve.

Cassio

Smash Master
To each their own. Can't deny the possibility, but it does seem very unlikely all things considered.

And thanks Vinyl :). I've been trying semi-legitimately since Apex when I could start attending tournaments and events more than rarely, so we'll see how it goes. I need to put the same effort into preparing that my SoCal peers have though or Ill probably just stay where I am.

Roller

Smash Legend
You can't only play excessively. You have to play excessively AND analytically. Constantly watching what your opponent does in response to various situations, and reverse engineer ways to beat those responses. You also need to be watching videos of players who are better than you, and looking not just at the obvious macro things they are doing, but at the tiny details. How far they are spacing things, which moves they punish with what, mixups you don't currently utilize. And you have to practice every tech-skill related aspect of your character(s) until you can't possibly **** it up.

It takes hours and hours of constant, daily, thoughtful practice to improve in a meaningful way. You have to want it badly. More than any other things you could be doing with those hours of free time.

All that being said, while I started doing that this past school year.. I haven't been playing much at all since I got home to NJ. Part of why (and why I haven't been posting as much here) is because I've been working hard to get in shape, and be more physically active. (posted about here once or twice before.) Which is going awesome, btw. Last time I had stepped on a scale before leaving school it had said ~170, currently at 151.

And I'm still eating more than everyone else when I go out to eat with people. =P

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Dude, that's just an integral part of playing excessively.
That's what happens when you play a video game. :applejack:

Roller

Smash Legend
I see many people just playing excessively for years, but just trying to get more profficient at the things they already do. Making no effort to reach out of their comfort zone and work on new techniques/approaches to how they play/think about matchups/the game.

Also, Phoenix. You eat like.. Nothing tho. That's why.

How tall are you, btw?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I see many people just playing excessively for years, but just trying to get more profficient at the things they already do. Making no effort to reach out of their comfort zone and work on new techniques/approaches to how they play/think about matchups/the game.
So they're becoming extremely potent at a certain set of skills.
That sounds like an improvement to me.

The lack of experimentation doesn't mean that there's an absence of improvement. Having precise spacing, for example, is something that just takes excessive practice and repetition. You don't need to learn anything groundbreaking or new to learn how to space. :applejack:

Roller

Smash Legend
Sir, please refer to page 3670 or 3671 of the PGD...if your question has not been answered by looking at one of the posts please be our dumb mascot<3
These pages don't exist yet.

Do people really still not use 40 ppp?
So they're becoming extremely potent at a certain set of skills.
That sounds like an improvement to me.

The lack of experimentation doesn't mean that there's an absence of improvement.
No, it just means you wont improve enough to be a "pro."

I played all the time for over a year before I went to college. I improved more in the first month there than over the entire year prior to it, because I learned how to practice in a drastically more efficient and focused manner.

Top Bottom