• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PGD: Happy Birthday, Red!

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
P:M is awful.
Calling it a lovechild is a disservice to the franchise.
******* child sounds more accurate. :applejack:

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
It was awful first demo, but Demo 2 + it is absolutely amazing. If you played Demo 1 at this point that doesn't count as trying it, compared to what it is now.

If you played Demo 2 already and still think it's awful, well, not sure what to say I guess. People like different kinds of games, and it is a fast paced game.

Cassio

Smash Master
Yeah I enjoy all smash games and pika in each game as well. I just dont find them to be easily comparable. Its not about speed its about the options youre presented with. Melee is very offense oriented, so compared to brawl attack strings are more tech skill oriented and mindless (not in an insulting way). In brawl theres considerably more defensive options, so it takes an extremely good understanding of option limitation and an ability to read to continue a string.

For instance, lets say you knock an opponent up in melee. Most likely you have another attack you can follow up into assuming youre technically proficient, and perhaps you had to watch their DI and be ready with one of three options. In the same situation for brawl aside from DI, they might also jump, air dodge, or attack if they have one thats quick enough. It would seem impossible to follow up with anything given so many defensive options, yet thats not the case. Its true that the opponent always has an escape option, but the aggressor also has the ability to follow up with a strong understanding of their opponents limitations and a good read. Therefore instead of having guaranteed strings like melee, brawl requires a very conscious and intelligent decision in order to continue a wave of attacks.

Aside from being a difficult concept to understand its also not a simple skill to acquire. I think thats part of what turns people off to brawl, its like showing a game of chess and basketball to an individual with no prior experience in either, basketball is going to seem a lot more entertaining and the skill set will be more accessible through technical effort.

Consider that last paragraph a tl;dr, lol.

Edit: Espys will hate everything you love, lol. Dont worry about it. I think P:M is great, I just like Brawl.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
How do you give reputation on this board again? Lol.

That is a perfect explanation on the way Brawl is designed. :) P:M is definitely more focused on Melee and therefore offense, so most of your defenses revolve around DI, spacing, spotdodging and shieldgrabbing. But that's the fun in it, knowing that one or two mistakes could take a stock from you, and having that motivation to play as skillfully as possible in order to win a match. This fits so well in P:M due to the characters being much more balanced, therefore any opponent could learn an amazing set of combos through practicing that outdoes almost any opponent, regardless of tier.

And lol, got it about Espy. XD

Edit: Also, I'm probably going to quote you if people ever start arguing about Melee vs Brawl on my local thread again. Thanks :D

Cassio

Smash Master
Thanks :bee:. Yeah, I imagine P:M will end up pretty balanced compared to most smash games since theirs an intentional effort to do so. Should be pretty cool. Ive been following some of the results too and pika seems to do pretty well ;0

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Yeah, definitely. I'm looking forward to the final build and the releases after that, too. :D It's already way too fun, not to mention the new Skyloft stage they made. It really got me interested in Smash again where I thought only Melee and Brawl would be, and has a new metagame to boot. :) And yes, Pikachu does really well, ChuDat and dkuo repping it up for Pika in the last tourney :D

There's no rep system on this forum, lolz.
Yes there is, they just disabled direct access to it. I know there's a way around it but wasn't sure if anyone here knew the link to it.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
not a fan of melee for every reason tag said, mostly that one hit or throw means you're going to be strung mercilessly while in brawl you have options and have to think about what they will anticipate you do since they can get out of strings.

not that i care about this game much anymore tho anyways, latias isnt a playable character so its whatever now. back to OoT speedrun

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I'm pretty sure that everybody should take what Espy says and reverse it for what is actually the truth.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
not a fan of melee for every reason tag said, mostly that one hit or throw means you're going to be strung mercilessly while in brawl you have options and have to think about what they will anticipate you do since they can get out of strings.

not that i care about this game much anymore tho anyways, latias isnt a playable character so its whatever now. back to OoT speedrun
Long combos don't really happen anymore due to DI.. In fact its like brawl just faster paced strings now (with some techincal skill to execute the strings). People are living well over 100% in melee now. DI is a magnificant mechanic that i wish was in all fighting games

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose

_umbra_

Smash Champion
I thought project m's 2nd demo was pretty fun, but it always just makes me want to play melee lol

I like what they did for some of the brawl characters, lucario is really fun <3

**** ike though

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
today has been the most boring day of my life.

Tell me my boredom, if you can. You have destroyed so much, what is it exactly that you have created? Can you name even one thing? I thought not

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Lol, I see XD Lucario is definitely fun, and Ike is pretty broken atm.
Ike's quick draw is always broken in any mod, just lowering the post lag, gives Ike a safe on shield attacking.. Letting him jump out of it gives him so much stuff... with dash momentum and quick draw together... its just nuts how fast Ike flies across the screen.

Top Bottom