• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Actually DMG, Hotgarbage found that on Pixiv while he was looking for a good image for me to use in the new G&W guide. I thought it was amazing so I borrowed the link he used to upload it and posted it here lol.

G&W is so manly.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
So do people here also share the belief that GaW is an incredibly underrated character? :p
Everything seems well and good until a decent Marth picks up the other controller.

:urg:

Don't get ahead of ourselves. G&W is somehow a character that telegraphs but gets his mileage out of mindgames. That is, at once, amazing; but the limitation is obvious.

Vinnie

Smash Master
Gnw ranking thread? there has been many for other character forums, and I saw one in this forum get made a while ago and it got closed...

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
i think we should have a tourney results thread while we're at it

i mean....there were alot of tourneys this summer lol o.O

and good shiz on your current placings pgn D:

Vinnie

Smash Master
i think we should have a tourney results thread while we're at it

i mean....there were alot of tourneys this summer lol o.O

and good shiz on your current placings pgn D:
Thanks, I'm trying really hard to be consistent with good results and active, I just didn't want it to go to waste, you know? :/

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
Thanks, I'm trying really hard to be consistent with good results and active, I just didn't want it to go to waste, you know? :/
ya i've seen u take on those hard matches
you deserve some cred
keep it up

i'm still so inconsistent in my play lol
but im learning more at each tourney i go to ;/
hopefully i can step it up

PGN's been getting too much advice from me recently... now I know why. Good stuff pgn =)
lawl share some of that wisdom here :ohwell:
lol<3

so....yea,we should have that tourney/ranking thread

Zac,why dont you make it :o

fraudster111

Smash Apprentice
one random question...who makes those titles under your names. Do you pick them? Do you tell someone to change it for you? How? I want mine to say "trickster":chuckle:

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
you have to pay for premium membership then you get a green name
you don't have to keep the green name and you have the option to change your title.

you can also "prank" 2 others

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I don't quite see the need for a rankings/tournament thread. If it's in the general interest of you guys, one of you feel free to make the thread, but be forewarned it is a commitment on your part.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
i don't mind making it but if anyone else would rather do it , speak up :o

i think just a tourney results thread is best tho...
since from the results,anyone can see who is doing well anyway

anyone mind then?

Ruuku

Smash Lord
Like I said before, I made a thread when the game first came out but interest faded so I stopped updating.

fraudster111

Smash Apprentice
I have a question for pro gnws. I have problem fighting pro sonics. Theres this sonic i play that always beat me. He counters my nair with his homing attack. As soon as he sees me going for a nair he just does his homing and it pushes him away from the fish bowl and hits me right when im done. Also his up throw>up b >uair is so deadly against gnw if he does it between 100-110% i think. The only way i survive that is to d.i his up throw but sometimes my reflexes fail me and i just go straight up and he gets a clean uair kill. He buffers his up b so im still in the hit lag after his upthrow while he uairs. Its such a pain. For some reason his spin dash rolls over my dtilt. I dont know how, sometimes it stops it but other times it just runs over me. I cant punish it if i shield because he does a bair if i try to chase him. He plays REALLY patient and abuses sonic's boost grab. Also THE most annoying thing he does is when im falling he run over right below me up b, i hit the spring, jump way in the air and before i know whats going on i get a bair in my face. He only does that at high percents so that it can guarantee a stock. If you actually read all this crying and b#tching then plz give me hints. Ive read the matchup, helped a little but i still lose against that sonic :(. Im a good gnw i pwn his mk mainly because he doesnt know the matchup hehehe.

Vinnie

Smash Master
Do it Penta! :D I think it's a really good idea, and you'd be just the guy for the job :)

@ fraudster111, it seems you should be more patient. He shouldn't be punishing you, you should be punishing him. If he uses homing attack, you can sidestep - nair. Things like that.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Fraudster there is nothing more to say than: learn to DI proper, get faster, and become less predictable. All of this comes from experience so don't worry about it.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I have a question for pro gnws. I have problem fighting pro sonics. Theres this sonic i play that always beat me. He counters my nair with his homing attack. As soon as he sees me going for a nair he just does his homing and it pushes him away from the fish bowl and hits me right when im done. Also his up throw>up b >uair is so deadly against gnw if he does it between 100-110% i think. The only way i survive that is to d.i his up throw but sometimes my reflexes fail me and i just go straight up and he gets a clean uair kill. He buffers his up b so im still in the hit lag after his upthrow while he uairs. Its such a pain. For some reason his spin dash rolls over my dtilt. I dont know how, sometimes it stops it but other times it just runs over me. I cant punish it if i shield because he does a bair if i try to chase him. He plays REALLY patient and abuses sonic's boost grab. Also THE most annoying thing he does is when im falling he run over right below me up b, i hit the spring, jump way in the air and before i know whats going on i get a bair in my face. He only does that at high percents so that it can guarantee a stock. If you actually read all this crying and b#tching then plz give me hints. Ive read the matchup, helped a little but i still lose against that sonic :(. Im a good gnw i pwn his mk mainly because he doesnt know the matchup hehehe.
Walk towards him and limit the space which he can use to run away. Don't spam things mindlessly since Sonic's one good quality is punishing lag with weak attacks. Use Up-B out of shield to counter homing attack and other stuff.

When in doubt, just shield. His throws never kill. His U-throw is easy to DI (towards him) and you can air dodge or D-air immediately out of it. You can even air dodge out of the first hit of his U-air.

Basically make sure you're actually attacking right where he is whenever you're actually attacking since in given situation, you'll basically win. Edgeguard his Up-B with D-air or D-smash if he comes from below. F-air and B-air out of shield is amazing against Sonic.

fraudster111

Smash Apprentice
Walk towards him and limit the space which he can use to run away. Don't spam things mindlessly since Sonic's one good quality is punishing lag with weak attacks. Use Up-B out of shield to counter homing attack and other stuff.

When in doubt, just shield. His throws never kill. His U-throw is easy to DI (towards him) and you can air dodge or D-air immediately out of it. You can even air dodge out of the first hit of his U-air.

Basically make sure you're actually attacking right where he is whenever you're actually attacking since in given situation, you'll basically win. Edgeguard his Up-B with D-air or D-smash if he comes from below. F-air and B-air out of shield is amazing against Sonic.
TRUST me. The first thing i did by instinct as a gnw is to dair him after he does his upthrow>up b>uair but idk what he does but he seems to up b as SOON as he up throws and im still in the "being thrown up" animation and before i recover he is right there with his uair. I can air dodge right away but sometimes he reads it and wait for me to instant airdodge then he uairs. I think his uair out priotizes our dair if timed right. Im not sure so dont flame me for saying that. Ill try oos aerials, i never do it but i should really start now. Plus is his spindash suppose to walk over our dtilt? I really dont get that. I wish i could get some vids for you guys to analyze:(

Mr. Grey

Smash Cadet
Hello, I usually don't post very much but..

I just wanted to say that what the guy with the black mage avatar said earlier is kind of accurate.

"G&W is somehow a character that telegraphs but gets his mileage out of mind games. That is, at once, amazing; but the limitation is obvious."

But at the same time every character has his/her limitations, When I first started using G&W
I got very frustrated at the snake match-up, and it took me a while to get around his ridiculous up tilt, the more I fought against snakes the more I realized not only the full extent of what he can do but more importantly (to me) what snakes expect G&W to do. Once I knew what my opponents expected of me, it was just a matter of finding ways to fake them out.

I guess my point is that mind games are really important with G&W, especially against people who know the match-up.

Best example I can give is, I saw one of Zacs videos against a campy snake, he jumped over his grenade just BARELY out of up-tilt range, when he up-tilted he missed-Zac used the Key
before he could pull out another one.

So to that guy having trouble with sonic, play patiently, know your own weaknesses ,learn his patterns and remember that even if you lose the match, try to remember clearly WHY you lost, so that you can fix your mistakes next time, sorry this post was so long I forgot the original intention of the post about have way through.

fraudster111

Smash Apprentice
Hello, I usually don't post very much but..

I just wanted to say that what the guy with the black mage avatar said earlier is kind of accurate.

"G&W is somehow a character that telegraphs but gets his mileage out of mind games. That is, at once, amazing; but the limitation is obvious."

But at the same time every character has his/her limitations, When I first started using G&W
I got very frustrated at the snake match-up, and it took me a while to get around his ridiculous up tilt, the more I fought against snakes the more I realized not only the full extent of what he can do but more importantly (to me) what snakes expect G&W to do. Once I knew what my opponents expected of me, it was just a matter of finding ways to fake them out.

I guess my point is that mind games are really important with G&W, especially against people who know the match-up.

Best example I can give is, I saw one of Zacs videos against a campy snake, he jumped over his grenade just BARELY out of up-tilt range, when he up-tilted he missed-Zac used the Key
before he could pull out another one.

So to that guy having trouble with sonic, play patiently, know your own weaknesses ,learn his patterns and remember that even if you lose the match, try to remember clearly WHY you lost, so that you can fix your mistakes next time, sorry this post was so long I forgot the original intention of the post about have way through.
Thanks and i think the first half of your post was suppose to be in the "dispelling myths about gnw"thread:chuckle: Anywayz thanks and when i play that sonic next time ill have a whole different mindset. Im not a patient gnw ONLY when i play mk that im patient. I like comboing, pressuring and getting sub 100% kills. I still have problems with snakes but I just gave up on beating them with gnw so I use my second main, Olimar against them. Its just i hardly fight snakes and when i come across a good one its just a rain of whoop *** on my gnw.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I am not really sure to be honest, but I think lots of game and watches aren't patient enough with snake. I see no problem having a match last 7 minutes vs him.

fraudster111

Smash Apprentice
I am not really sure to be honest, but I think lots of game and watches aren't patient enough with snake. I see no problem having a match last 7 minutes vs him.
ZOMFG!! Seriously.... 7minutes!!!! In a tourney maybe but thats just not fun after the fourth time you do it. Ive never played a 3stock match that lasted 7minutes. Played a spamus to 6mins NEVER 7.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I am serious. Snake's greatest weakness is actually what a lot of people think is his strongest point. Out camping snake is easy since you can bide time and be patient since his air mobility is awful.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
TRUST me. The first thing i did by instinct as a gnw is to dair him after he does his upthrow>up b>uair but idk what he does but he seems to up b as SOON as he up throws and im still in the "being thrown up" animation and before i recover he is right there with his uair. I can air dodge right away but sometimes he reads it and wait for me to instant airdodge then he uairs. I think his uair out priotizes our dair if timed right. Im not sure so dont flame me for saying that. Ill try oos aerials, i never do it but i should really start now. Plus is his spindash suppose to walk over our dtilt? I really dont get that. I wish i could get some vids for you guys to analyze:(
Sounds like you have bad DI and are really predictable. Yeah, his U-air has stupid range, but it's really not something you should get hit by.

You have to have reaction time against Sonic...plain and simple. You can't mindlessly spam anything most of the time because he has a weak option that punishes it. Personally, I think Up-smash and F-smash are better for stopping his spindash.

And really, the key to this matchup is walking and shielding. When you're not screwing up, he's not killing you ever. His KO moves are all too slow (and pathetically weak at the same time).

And edgeguard him when he goes offstage. If you can get to where he is and attack, you will win. Low recoveries are BEGGING to be D-aired or Smashed.

Snake vs GaW is the most misunderstood match-up I think. Personally, I don't think it's that bad at all.
I agree with this statement, although I believe most G&W mains are accepting that he's not G&W's worst matchup ultimately.

I am serious. Snake's greatest weakness is actually what a lot of people think is his strongest point. Out camping snake is easy since you can bide time and be patient since his air mobility is awful.
I've seen Snakes consistently outcamp Falco in terms of damage over time racked by grenades vs lasers. It looks like a matchup specific thing, but generally his camp game is not to be taken lightly. Grenades are super versatile, and can be made to handle many situations.

The best way to outcamp him is being mobile enough to avoid his grenades however, which is something G&W can be very good at. And he doesn't have any really safe approach.

Top Bottom