• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
What date will you be in Norway? I can try to be crafty and get something going that day

BTW good **** Penta.

I can post some videos myself from a big German tournament last weekend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI5BBseatvg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo6-tYpfFjQ
I was only on stream during doubles, sadly(I was one hit away from winner's semis, which would've put me in top 6 and on stream)
I'll be there from the 24th to the 6th. I might not being able to make it (not being able to drive the rental car makes it difficult) but let me know and I'll do my best to come!

Last edited:

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
There's a tournament planned the 25th to 27th for Brawl, Melee and PM.
It's located a place nearby Oslo(about 10 minutes of train), but I wont be able to attend that myself, sadly

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
Life's good.
I'm playing games and ****.

If you guys want some G&W footage, I can provide you with some.
G&W boards have been even less active that usual lately

Last edited:

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
He looks... softer in Smash 4. Seemed to be pretty much the same, exept for bacon, which seemed faster

Last edited:

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I'll give an in-depth GW review before i head to bed.

I have the game btw.

things of note:

*bucket no longer momentum stalls (very disappointed by this as I bucket stall more than any other gdubs)
*Jump after Up-b is buffed. Before you had to buffer an aerial out of Up-B to get the jump now it happens as long as you attack first. it not longer must be buffered (or from the apex of your up-b). This is really sick.
*dair can no longer slowfall.
*Dtilt has a windbox that does damage above it. I actually don't like it. it's cool and leads to cool jank but also makes it hard to cover landings with it.

ask me any questions about the game btw

Also: i'm still repping GW this game.

edit: sorry im mad tired will do it in the morning.

Last edited:

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Okay so yeah Gdubs.

GW is pretty good so far. Can't tell if it's my advantage of maining him in brawl or him just being pretty good. He's mostly the same. I would overall consider him nerfed but not really because of new game mechanics kinda working for him. Ill go into depth about some of his moves.

Usmash is the same. I THOUGHT it might have had a few frames of armor but we just tried to confirm and it doesnt seem like it. It may be invincibility though. or I may just be beating moves. Regardless this favorite of mine if still good.

Fsmash is still pretty good. Seems the same, however GW is more expressive in this game. His LCD type movement has more frames of movement. Both Fsmash and Ftilt make an arc from behind his head to the front of him. Personally I don't like the extra frames of movement. They are mostly visual (ftilt starts behind him now) but it takes away some of the character's uniqueness. He just moves a bit too smoothly now you never get that feeling of being a Game and Watch character trapped in a 3d game. It's a personal gripe but worth noting if you're a fan of the aesthetics and the character itself. Non GW fans like it, people who like him for being ol' skool may be disappointed he's not as much so.

Ftilt got buffed. It's better especially with pivot tilting. That's a new mechanic that allows you to tilt at any point of your dash animation. It's sick, i see a lot of potential. it's like a wavedash back tilt so it'll depend on your character.

Jab is the same but with the new auto jab release mechanic he has a new attack of the end of his jab that does more knockback. He blows a bigger gust of insect spray. Actually a huge buff now that I think of it. Becuse in brawl your chances of getting away with a multijab next to an opponent was pretty 50/50. sometimes you did sometimes you didn't. Now you almost always get them out of your face. Jab confirmed as good GTFO move.

Utilt hits twice now. A little slower but still pretty much the same. Sets up for aerials and such.

Nair is still good but not as good. Hitbox is smaller (You can't space it as well (but it may be the 3ds controls but i don't think so.) Still can get nair strings, still your goto damage racker. Doesn't seem to beat moves above it as well though.

Uair is the same with a weaker/smaller windbox.

Fair is buffed. I dunno about strengthwise but it's MUCH less laggy. Good for edgeguarding in this game, because of the weaker, lingering hitboxes and the new edge mechanics making it safer to chase characters offstage.

Bair is nerfed, still good though. It's pretty much the same but it's like Bair and Fair traded their cooldowns. (Fair is laggier still than bair was, however) I'll check later if turtle cancelling is in (It's where GW can autocancel early bair frames so he can mixup approaches. It wasnt the most useful technique but it may find some use in this)

Dair is nerfed. He can no longer slowfall dair. It sucks but it's what we have. the move itself is still pretty decent but I feel like not being able to mix up our dair speed will hurt GW later in the metagame.

Dtilt is "buffed". It's pretty much the same but now there's a windbox above it (That actually damages opponents.) It's kinda cool I've had some good gimps with it. (In doubles yesterday I did it to a helpless little mac and he flew offstage), but overall It more of a pain to punish landing with it because they get blown upwards instead of landing on the Manhole cover. We'll have to see. It's still a good move though and one of my most used ones.

Dash attack is buffed. It has more knockback and goes farther making it a good punish if you're just not quite fast enough to reach the opponent in time. It send them forwards now but it's possible it has two hitboxes. It doesnt Stage spike on the ledge anymore though.

Dsmash is the same pretty much.

bacon is pretty much the same.
Side-B as I can tell so far it pretty much the same.
Bucket works the same but no onger stalls momentum. I'm hoping a custom version of bucket will though.
Up-b still has parachute! I was afraid he would lose it, but it's still there in all it's glory. It doesn't cover as much distance however. This is also great: In brawl GW could jump after up-b if he saved a jump and buffered an aerial out of the apex of the move. This was buffed an now as long as he attacks first (at any time) he can jump again. This is a pretty cool buff it allows for more useful mixups. Especially now that you can pop people off the ledge.

He also loses Down taunt with a better one! He now sits down and sighs. It's really cool. He still has 2 ****ing bells though (sakurai....)

And yeah that's about all I can think about off the top of my head

Overall he's very similar and if you used him in brawl you'll have a good time. Chasing people offstage is much more viable in this game and with the new ledge mechanics GW mains will be finding themselves getting KOs easier than in brawl. Offstage dair is still really good even without the slowfall (just don't SD)

Feel free to ask any questions. I'll have matches put up later today btw @
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMNi1nkIpqkfvHOeLlAmLdA/videos

it's my crew's new channel

also subscribe to my personal youtube
www.youtube.com/mytagisasmileyface

Wafty beat Zero on stream yesterday so i'll be uploading that match too. =) And I also have doubles with Fow to upload as well.

Splice

Smash Hero
^ Thanks for this man
His Dash attack also looks a bit better, seems faster and the hitstun on it lets you follow up
I saw FOW do dash attack, SH Nair (autocancel?) Utilt UpB, it was exciting.

Looks like I'll be joining you all again maining this character, at least until I get sick of dying at low % with no bucket break :p
Hope to see him repped better than he was in Brawl ^^

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I absolutely hate how GaW looks now, and I hate how fsmash looks. I wanted him to be my first main, but with what I said plus the fact he actually got a little nerfed, I am not so sure.

Splice

Smash Hero
I don't mind his new look, but I do hate the new Fsmash.
He's got a much smaller nose now, so I'll be using the white Game and Watch and nick-naming him Michael Jackson.

Last edited:

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
It's funny how he overall looks smaller, but his dsmash-hammers are the same size as before/slightly bigger, and then look absolutely massive when G&W uses them

Splice

Smash Hero
The hammer animation is probably my favourite visual change because it looks so much more like it did in the old Game and Watch games. Hopefully it has a stupid disjoint and still kills reasonably well. I need a character with cheap KO's :p

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I absolutely hate how GaW looks now, and I hate how fsmash looks. I wanted him to be my first main, but with what I said plus the fact he actually got a little nerfed, I am not so sure.
I like that he's a little more animated? but I agree. I'm not a big fan of his new design. I think it's mediocre at best when compared to his Melee/Brawl design.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
They need to bring back all those fancy sound effects from Melee. The character was all about BEEP BOOP BOOP *******.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
So guys, who here is going to Apex?

Because of ridiculously cheap tickets, I'm confirmed yet again.

Also: I'm slowly getting the feel for G&W in Smash 4, but his Brawl incarnation will always be the king. Slowfall dair mixups for lyfe

Last edited:

Shmoopy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jordanious24
3DS FC
3995-6588-3249
I wanna look like Game&Watch. I don't like my face.
....Actually I don't want a face bleah

Splice

Smash Hero
@ Alphicans Alphicans didn't you come top 16 in Brawl singles bracket?
How was it? are there any vids? That'd have to be some advanced Game and Watch play to do that well so late in Brawl's life.
I haven't been working on Brawl GnW for 2 years now it'd be cool to see your tricks

Congrats on doing so well in Brawl doubles and singles :)

Last edited:

Callinater

Smash Rookie
Remember when GnW was like 4th on the brawl tier list? Lol.
Now he's like high mid XD.
He fell from the face of the earth.

Top Bottom