• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
We got Smash, Mario Kart, Bayonetta, X, DKC, Yoshi's New Island, Kirby AND ****ING NES REMIX 2(+ many other new smaller games), so I was satisfied

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
I'm still hyped either way, the games on the 3DS have been pretty accurate in terms of goodness to the previews. I think it has potential to be pretty good.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
Going to Shuffle V this weekend, the first MLG sponsored tourney of the year. I finally get to meet all of the top players in person, which is really exciting. I'll be driving up to Columbus tonight and going to a friends to practice with my teammate Sombra against two other carpools, hopefully.

Pools are currently top 2 make it out, and 1st and 2nd seed in my pool are currently Zinoto and Kero, it seems. Kero I just played this past weekend and he basically wrecked me, but I'm hoping with more patient gameplay and coaching from Mister Eric that I can pull out a win and steal 2nd seed. This is all assuming my updated pool isn't drastically changed lol.

Wish me luck fellas.

Last edited:

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
It went alright, didn't make anything special happen in singles or dubs, only beat 2 randoms in singles and going 0-2 in doubles which was unexpected. I did get to do a few money matches, the most notable one was I 2-0'd Ksev (a good Snake from Michigan) and then he MM'd me back and 1-2'd me lol.

I'm definitely seeing myself improve, so I'm really going to try and make my mark on the Midwest scene before the end of this season.

I also bought a cute Meta Knight pin from an artist selling her stuff at the venue.

sambo400

Smash Apprentice
So like 2 years after I quit posting here, I finally have myself playing recorded matches. Me and my friend Slimjim won a Brawl Doubles tournament in my area. The turnout wasn't great : / but there were good melee players at least. It starts around 6 hours 7 minutes. The first game I played poorly and my controller is a little sticky, so I do a few horrible things. It got better though. Our strat was essentially Slimjim 2v1s the other team and I tank.

http://www.twitch.tv/cloudchaser071/c/3869372?t=9h6m20s

The opposing Falco was actually a really good diddy kong and I'm not sure why he changed. They almost beat us earlier with diddy/TL. MK was banned for some reason too : /

Also we won some melee matches around the 3 hour mark. We actually took a game off of Dr. X who is a pretty good midwest player.

Last edited:

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Yo I have some great dubs if you guys wanna see. Went to my first tourney since I got back to the states (Hey everyone btw)

It was Melee/PM and I did bad in both doubles and singles but it's okay because it was redeemed when we beat AZ's best current team 2 $20 MMs in a row (brawl)

I'm soooo freaking happy man. We're practicing for a SoCal tourney coming up and brawl has mostly died in AZ while I was gone it looks like but i'm soooo determined to be one of the best teams PERIOD and i'm REALLY improving.

The matches are really good and my partner and I have pretty good synergy but I consider myself the weak link on playing support and maximizing punishes so we still have a ways to go.

Still though they were really exciting, and I'll post them when Wafty uploads them.

FINALLY. Now we just have to prove it in tourney. The salt was real afterwards and I know K9 will strap his brother to a chair and force him to play like 10 hours a day because he WAS NOT happy about losing. Can't slack now, I gotta shut up the johns and prove it in tourney.

I'm so freaking motivated. I just have to stay focused

we also did PM doubles and we're pretty sick even though Wafty doesn't play PM at all (he hates it, but I've taught him a few things)

We actually can do really well, but we got really unlucky and got 2 ness teams and ness sorta shuts bowser down in doubles (PK Fire is ridiculous in that game)

But in friendlies we lost like 2 out of like 20 matches even though wafty doesnt even play. I just go in hard as **** with boozar and wario just jumps in and saves me anytime things turn bad. Next time though

In singles I just got kinda ****ed because i have no results as i've been gone for like 5 months so I got a bad seed, beat some random guy then lost to a guy i've never lost to before and am definitely a better player but i didn't really care, i only play PM becuse the scene is more active, plus I didn't get 0-2'd so i'm good. Also took 6 stocks in the crew battle so i'm happy it's whatever.

tl;dr I got ****ed up in pm but I won a $40 brawl dubs money match

Last edited:

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I play largely support and stock tank.

When playing MK teams my goal is to make MK punishable. He's hard to punish when they team is playing correctly depending on the teammate. I'm the only GW i really see using Uair as much as I do (i know others do use it though). I like it because it keeps the teammate farther so they can't save theirs but it's a fast enough move to allow me to punish the grabs my partner gets at the same time. So like while i'm juggling one teammate i can still throw hitboxes out near the ground to zone the other teammate to get grabbed by my teammate and then as GW I punish the grabs HARD. Usmash and fsmash depending on how close i am and their percent. I try not to use Dsmash because it's hard to space in teams. The MK I was playing will use his jumps and tornado behind his teammate so he can't be punished, it's really hard. I was scouting for these so I could dair through it, space a smash, or Uair him so we could punish it, I also keep him away when my partner has momentum on MK's teammate.

More generically I can just say stay behind your partner (unless your partner is like a low tier or can't handle being the aggressive role)

Poke in with Bairs and just zone the other team and force them to pay attention to you by using some hard hitting moves. I like to charge smashes near the fray but not in it just to send a message of: "Don't forget about me, I might pop in and up smash you"

Dair and Up-b are also god tier for doubles because in singles you can punish and react to these but in doubles its sooo much harder and dair almost always shieldpokes the other aggressor because their shield is never gonna be maxed out since they're essentially fighting 2 characters.

Once you start to understand each other's roles better it's easy to beat teams that aren't as good because they simply won't get as much milage out of a grab or even a simple GW bair

Every time I land a clean bair my partner can come in and uair and then i can chain that into nair etc etc, even if their support hits one of us to stop it we just took like 15% as opposed to doing like 60% in a team combo

Also let your teammate know whenever you are being walled out (for example the other character on the team i was playing was an olimar) because you can't really help them if you're stuck on the other side of the stage so they can save you or just play more carefully. They need to know or you could lose stocks unnecessarily

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Hey guys the second set is up and it's actually even better than the first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZlrfthQsDk

@ AkashicSword AkashicSword Nice try. I've played ZeRo on his wifi stream before and the thing I learned from Neko is that you can't try and get hard reads on Zero because he plays too safe. It was also apparent in your vid. Wish I wouldve been able to tell you that. ZeRo is too safe and also too technical so that playstyle doesn't work against him. You should play a more reactionary spacing game. If he Uairs you under a platform up-b OOS. He has good spacing so It might have only worked some of the time but it may have popped him into the air for you. After he started teching you should have stopped going for Usmash reads. If you jump up you can react to get ups, attacks, and tech rolls with dair or another aerials which gives you % and momentum. Shield the tilts and get grabs. I dont remember him Ftilting you all 3 times but if he does it's a dash grab and even if he does it twice you can also go for the dash grab but it's a mixup because IIRC it's not guaranteed.

In the neutral space bairs so that you don't or just barely hit him you wanna poke with the landing hitbox, not the turtle. This is also how you approach marth. If the MK is aggressive retreating bair. it's hard for them to approach.

Good try, though. ZeRo's really good so it's whatever.

AkashicSword

Yokai
Hey guys the second set is up and it's actually even better than the first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZlrfthQsDk

@ AkashicSword AkashicSword Nice try. I've played ZeRo on his wifi stream before and the thing I learned from Neko is that you can't try and get hard reads on Zero because he plays too safe. It was also apparent in your vid. Wish I wouldve been able to tell you that. ZeRo is too safe and also too technical so that playstyle doesn't work against him. You should play a more reactionary spacing game. If he Uairs you under a platform up-b OOS. He has good spacing so It might have only worked some of the time but it may have popped him into the air for you. After he started teching you should have stopped going for Usmash reads. If you jump up you can react to get ups, attacks, and tech rolls with dair or another aerials which gives you % and momentum. Shield the tilts and get grabs. I dont remember him Ftilting you all 3 times but if he does it's a dash grab and even if he does it twice you can also go for the dash grab but it's a mixup because IIRC it's not guaranteed.

In the neutral space bairs so that you don't or just barely hit him you wanna poke with the landing hitbox, not the turtle. This is also how you approach marth. If the MK is aggressive retreating bair. it's hard for them to approach.

Good try, though. ZeRo's really good so it's whatever.

Yeah, he made me look like I sucked, but I took the stocks from him, which was nice. Great advice, I'll definitely consider it. He wants to play again, so I'm sure you'll see another vid when that happens.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
You were largely outclassed in that game. Zero's speed looked like it was just way too much for you to keep up with, which is fine, as I assume you're a relatively new player (2013 is really new in my books). The more you play with a player like Zero the better you'll get at being able to keep up with fast paced opponents as a laggy character like GaW. Keep practicing and it'll come.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
Remember watching that set on stream.
Definitely work on using more up b. Whenever you feel pressured and like you're about to get hit, you should up b. I don't know if you're aware of this or not, but when MK hits you with tornado, you can sometimes launch MK up in the air with up b(yes, even while you're inside it yourself). This either resets the situation, gives you a free hit, or in the best cases, nets you a kill.

Dash attack should also be deployed to combat MK when he's in his glide and you're too close to use an aerial before he hits you.

And nair a lot, nair all dai.

I got some limited playtime with Zero myself, one thing I seemed to get going vs him was doing really high risk stuff like following him under SV and killing him with fair.

Sylarius

Smash Ace
Damn Smiley now I'm really missing playing doubles @ Alberta with Shaft. Everyone in my region plays P:M now and he's lost his motivation to play Brawl when it's only us two that do and he doesn't want to travel to Alberta again.

Calgary was a blast but it's too bad I had to choke.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
So I'm sure most of you have heard discussions about the 1 stock Bo5 ruleset that's being tested, and many local TO's have changed their upcoming tournaments to run the format. I got to attend one last weekend, and while it wasn't really anything special, it did get me a chance to break out my Diddy Kong lol. I learned the infinite 2 weeks ago out of boredom and have always practiced Diddy for fun rather than practicality, but now it seems like he is a viable character for me to play. Now I want to learn infinite setups so I can potentially use them in tournament. I also noticed I play a rather aggressive Diddy, like I'll have stage control, throw a banana at the opponents feet to pressure them but not hit them, then read their reaction.

If I really work on my Diddy, I have a feeling I'll finally make it into the top 4 in singles at a tournament 2 weeks from now, and into the money for the first time in singles. :)

Last edited:

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Damn Smiley now I'm really missing playing doubles @ Alberta with Shaft. Everyone in my region plays P:M now and he's lost his motivation to play Brawl when it's only us two that do and he doesn't want to travel to Alberta again.

Calgary was a blast but it's too bad I had to choke.
That sucks. I made my partner start playing p:m with me specifically for dubs. He hates PM and doesnt play it but he's just a smart player and wario's PM side-b is really awesome so we still can do work but we still gotta practice a bit.

I wasnt able to go to SoCal because of work but now im seeing if I can get him to SKTAR. We really want to rep AZ there.

I also got a pretty good upset in PM today (don't worry about who) but i'm more excited at the fact that I wont have a super low seed anymore and have to fight all of the AZ titans first round lol

Also a friend and training buddy of mine had a huge confidence boost this weekend after getting 2nd at a scrub tourney (some of the competitive players went) which he REALLY needed because he was on the verge of quitting because of his frustration at his lack of results. I was telling him he had to stick with it because he was sooo close to breaking through ad today he beat a player he's never been able to beat ad always came close. I'm really happy for him. Honestly more happy for him than I am for myself. Fun tourney even though it was all PM

also I have some brawl MK vs GW to upload at some point. It's mostly me getting worked. I taught K9 in more detail how to beat GW and now i've created a monster. He plays the matchup really REALLY well now. I'm only uploading it because he asked me to =(

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I got two 3/5's with Wafty to upload but youtube has bee finicky the last 2 days about uploading em'. I'm gonna try again tonight. GW vs MK and Wario. I had a Peach set but I guess I didn't save it.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
^youtube won't let me upload em. Still figuring it out.

Anyway, forgot to tell you guys I'd be at SKTAR so I'll try to rep. Brawl is sorta dead in az and apparently nobody in MD/va plays brawl anymore so I'll be out of practice. I'll try my best, but I can't promise anything. Tristate is a really hard region with a lot of snakes marths and falcos (which is my worst matchup after olimar)

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Hey, so I'm gonna be going through Europe in about a month or so. Would anybody be interested in a meetup? Or if there's a tournament while I'm there. I'm gonna only be in eastern Europe, but I'll be in Norway for 2 weeks I think.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
Hey, so I'm gonna be going through Europe in about a month or so. Would anybody be interested in a meetup? Or if there's a tournament while I'm there. I'm gonna only be in eastern Europe, but I'll be in Norway for 2 weeks I think.
What date will you be in Norway? I can try to be crafty and get something going that day

BTW good **** Penta.

I can post some videos myself from a big German tournament last weekend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI5BBseatvg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo6-tYpfFjQ
I was only on stream during doubles, sadly(I was one hit away from winner's semis, which would've put me in top 6 and on stream)

Top Bottom