• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

Rajam

Smash Champion
Of course he can still Bucket Break. That's a silly notion that he might not be able to when they listed "No changes" for him.

Also, G&W is much like he is in vBrawl: One of the best characters. In BBrawl he may be the hands down best but there is some serious competition still. The changes really only made our bad matchups easier and buffed our already dominating matchups.

Plus more stages :)

Anyway, BBrawl is awesome. I recommend it to all of you.
Well Diddy and Marth will still be hard to defeat, but at least MK and Snake should become more available matchups. Did Toon Link got a buff? That would be another bad matchup, and i think Ganon and Link can be really close

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=165954

the facts just dont lie. G&W is just like he was in melee. He's good if you know how to use him, but everytime he loses, its going to be because of the same flaw.

I'm not saying he's a bad character. By no means, he's a good character.

But to be "one of the best" i usually consider that to be around top 5

MK, Snake, Falco, IC's, Wario, and diddy kong are all characters that really, no matter how you look at it, and just better. You can argue match ups all day, but it just boils down to these characters being the best. Thats why they're up there.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
To be quite frank, JKBUK, that's why I consider G&W "one of the best characters". For the fact that he IS top 5 material. It may be of your opinion that G&W isn't up there, but that's where you and I don't see eye to eye; In my opinion G&W has been the third best character. I actually didnt originally think this, so don' assume it's just that G&W was "better" earlier in the game that I thought this. Gradually I'm having trouble seeing why G&W ISN'T rated as one of the clear best, besides the obvious lack of representation.

I disagree strongly with your top 5. Falco and Ice Climbers aren't clearly better at all. For one thing IC's are a character who needs a strong secondary just to cope with counterpicked stages, as their best stages are hands down neutrals. This isn't necessarily a huge issue, but it does make it mostly clear that Ice Climbers are very reliant on the stage to being good, much like Olimar. For one thing I think Olimar is one of the best characters in the entire game on Walk-Offs, but thankfully Walk-off stages aren't standard. IC's do enjoy their best stages being neutrals, but they are just as stage reliant as Olimar and tht does take away from their placement clearly in my eyes.

Falco is another one I don't think to be better than G&W at all, but I'm getting a bit tired now so I'll only argue more if you want me to :p

Just for reference I'm in a hospital bed on my laptop. I had both my Gallbladder and Appendix taken out quite recently so eh.

Other quick things: G&W wasn't good in melee even if you knew how to use him. That's a silly notion. Also, out of those you listed, Wario may be the only other "obvious" choice of being better than G&W. While I rate G&W 3rd, it could easily be 4th as Wario is just as amazing a character as G&W. Not to mention, you guys are silly when you say G&W is "only good in teams" or stuff to that nature. G&W may be the hands down BEST character in teams, but he's not far off at all in Singles.

Annnyway, my stomach hurts so im going to try and get more sleep. Try BBrawl out, guys. It's fun for the whole family! Good luck with your BBrawl tournament, Zac. I hope it turns out to be a success :)

cutter

Smash Champion
G&W isn't good in Melee because he autoloses to Sheik and dies at disgustingly low %s in a game with hitstun. Glass cannon characters are AWFUL in fighting games with hitstun and emphasis on damaging combos.

I'll be trying balanced brawl tonight. That shizz looks so much fun :).

And I really hope you get better soon Esc! I can't imagine having both your appendix and gallbladder removed :(

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
G&W =/= one of the best characters in vBrawl

teams for sure. but on his own, G&W isn't one of the best.
You need to learn mixups. It's like every G&W main besides the good ones forget that they have something called mixups. G&W's good traits COMBINED with the mixups that he has is why he is one of the best characters in vBrawl. It's hard for anyone to reliably counter every single thing that he can possibly do in a given moment. As limited as he may be, he does have very good mixups and fast qualities.

Combined with super safe KO moves that are among the strongest in the game, and a recovery that never gets gimped, and Bucket Braking, you have a very good character. He's incredibly boring in singles granted, but he's still excellent.

As for what Esc is saying, Falco is definitely overrated. He loses to Snake arguably worse than G&W does, since outside of his chaingrab, he has nothing better than G&W for punishing Snake, and Falco also gets grab release chaingrabbed, which can very easily lead to Falco's death either through a D-throw regrab at the edge, or grab release -> D-smash. A good MK can air camp or edge camp the **** out of Falco and there is nothing Falco can do about it except hope MK runs into a laser and loses his % lead. G&W actually has some form of offense against MK and has options that can potentially deal with MK's edgecamping.

The Ice Climbers imo are S tier, but I only think they beat G&W on FD. They can't pose any real direct threat to him if he has platforms to camp on. Blizzard is a ***** for G&W to deal with, but outside of that, G&W's B-air is even harder for the ICs to deal with (as it outranges everything else the ICs do and is a safer attack in more situations). G&W is very mobile and can really destroy Nana when given the chance.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
This conversation is depressing. Need to get positivity back in here; not that negativity doesn't have a purpose.
To what flaw do you refer, JKB?

And I have to say this: I disagree about G&W and 'boring' - vehemently - but that's ultimately opinion I suppose.

BBrawl Chef is awesome you should all try it. :p It sets up fairs <-- ultimate litmus test

Neb

Smash Lord
Blizzard is a ***** for G&W to deal with, but outside of that, G&W's B-air is even harder for the ICs to deal with (as it outranges everything else the ICs do and is a safer attack in more situations). G&W is very mobile and can really destroy Nana when given the chance.
I'd just like chime in and say that blizzard isn't THAT great of a wall against G&W.

Game & Watch's approach is not disabled with the absence of turtle, he does have other options, or just enough to weaken blizzards capabilities. Airdodges buffered into swift attacks (upb, dtilt, dasha, jab), distracting clouds of food from chef (Standing/SH'd/FH'd/SJ'd), shield dashes into buffered interchanging spotdodges (very small vulnerable window), or even feeding the bucket and using your oil as a threat for when they reforge the brickwall, etc. You also have the tools to bait and punish with your mobility; both climbers must contribute for it to be effective, so if you steer one away you'll have an easier time getting inside.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
You need to learn mixups. It's like every G&W main besides the good ones forget that they have something called mixups. G&W's good traits COMBINED with the mixups that he has is why he is one of the best characters in vBrawl. It's hard for anyone to reliably counter every single thing that he can possibly do in a given moment. As limited as he may be, he does have very good mixups and fast qualities.
Theres nothing fast about G&W. Every single one of his smashes are punishable, no matter how they're used. His down tilt is the closest thing to unpunishable he has. Honestly, who do you people play that don't know how to punish? His bair is ok at best, his nair is good, until people realize projectiles and range works. His best KO move is fair, without a doubt. And fair hits on 10, in the air, while G&W is flying at you, giving you plenty of time to not get hit.

How does G&W have any mix ups? Whats considered a mix up? I'll try to understand what you mean by "mix-up" more before I get into it. I'm certainly hoping you aren't referring to things like "nair --> d-smash."

As for what Esc is saying, Falco is definitely overrated. He loses to Snake arguably worse than G&W does, since outside of his chaingrab, he has nothing better than G&W for punishing Snake, and Falco also gets grab release chaingrabbed, which can very easily lead to Falco's death either through a D-throw regrab at the edge, or grab release -> D-smash. A good MK can air camp or edge camp the **** out of Falco and there is nothing Falco can do about it except hope MK runs into a laser and loses his % lead. G&W actually has some form of offense against MK and has options that can potentially deal with MK's edgecamping.
Snake and MK are horrible examples when trying to show how a character isn't that good.
Falco has lasers. That right there gives falco more of an edge on snake.
G&W can't deal with MK any better then most characters. Nair and B-air will only do so much.

The Ice Climbers imo are S tier, but I only think they beat G&W on FD. They can't pose any real direct threat to him if he has platforms to camp on. Blizzard is a ***** for G&W to deal with, but outside of that, G&W's B-air is even harder for the ICs to deal with (as it outranges everything else the ICs do and is a safer attack in more situations). G&W is very mobile and can really destroy Nana when given the chance.
G&W is easily screwed the most by being grabbed then any other top character. He's light. Which means he's not going to break out at all after 30ish damage. And given that the IC's can still d-throw CG him, its not that hard to deal with. We've been over this whole thing. Theres no really safe way to approach the IC's. Blizzard beats out bair. ESPECIALLY when trying to space it safe the way you all always talk about it. You can chef thru the blizzard, yes, which does help, but only to an extent. And true, once you get IC's in the air, you can wreck. But an IC's main will know incredibly well how to find their way back onto the ground, where they belong.

I really find it so hard you people are this positive about this character. I mean, I obviously like him. But honestly, top 5? Get real. His obvious flaws aren't realized at all here.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
G&W's Smashes can't be punished for randomly throwing them out in safe positions.

I like how you seem to argue that G&W can only mix things up with N-air and B-air. You seem to forget, G&W is a pretty mobile character. You can really mess up anyone by just randomly floating around and throwing out Jabs or D-tilts. G&W's F-air is also extremely difficult for anyone to challenge and one of the most powerful aerials in the game in terms of speed, range, and damage ratio. It gets even better when you consider its utility out of shield.

Also, there is grabbing, which is also fast. Grabbing is the reason why G&W's spotdodge is actually useful. G&W's grab game is constantly underestimated. "BAH, YOU CAN TECH D-THROW!" Who cares? G&W's D-throw is still one of the better setups for landing consecutive hits. Grab, Pummel, D-throw, and techchase DA (which I'm very certain is guaranteed on everyone when you call the right direction) does 20%. That's pretty good honestly.

Falco gets outcamped by a good Snake if he tries to laser camp and he's screwed if he tries to approach and gets grabbed. Falco is easily disadvantaged to Snake. G&W actually has variation to his approach that lets him NOT GET GRABBED, and he does better by far juggling and edgeguarding Snake.

MK is more debatable granted...however Falco doesn't have a real way of touching MK if MK gets the lead. I'm pretty sure we've heard about how Dojo got into trouble for something like that. As gay as MK is when he gets a % lead, G&W's range advantage...does in fact matter. Not to mention the fact he's vastly superior at juggling and edgeguarding, two things which are very applicable against MK.

The point is Falco really doesn't handle the top tier nearly as well as you think he does, and G&W has some pretty noteable advantages that really do help him.

Blizzard does beat B-air, but it's near-impossible to follow up with. The other way around, it's very easy for G&W to follow up with B-air. It's possible to also beat Blizzard with Oil Panic (just space incredibly well when you want to collect the ice).

G&W does have obvious problems...none of them are nearly as bad as we may have thought they were. All of his matchups, even his worst ones, are winnable. He's not easy to use granted...just he's definitely capable of holding himself up against the S tier when played right.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
G&W's Smashes can't be punished for randomly throwing them out in safe positions.
any ranged attack will easily punish game and watches smashes. Against someone like, say, Marth, you'd have to smash half way across the stage to not get punished byusing a smash.[/quote]

I like how you seem to argue that G&W can only mix things up with N-air and B-air. You seem to forget, G&W is a pretty mobile character. You can really mess up anyone by just randomly floating around and throwing out Jabs or D-tilts. G&W's F-air is also extremely difficult for anyone to challenge and one of the most powerful aerials in the game in terms of speed, range, and damage ratio. It gets even better when you consider its utility out of shield.[/quote]

As i said, fair is a great move. Its my favorite move. I have no complaints about that.

Jab and d-tilt mix ups are good. I'll give you that too.

Also, there is grabbing, which is also fast. Grabbing is the reason why G&W's spotdodge is actually useful. G&W's grab game is constantly underestimated. "BAH, YOU CAN TECH D-THROW!" Who cares? G&W's D-throw is still one of the better setups for landing consecutive hits. Grab, Pummel, D-throw, and techchase DA (which I'm very certain is guaranteed on everyone when you call the right direction) does 20%. That's pretty good honestly.
as i've said before, i'm 95% sure this isn't true. Wolfs techroll is HUGE. He'd have time to shield. And I KNOW Marth can up-b right after a dthrow tech, and nothing can beat that. So although it is good on many characters, it is NOT guaranteed.

Falco gets outcamped by a good Snake if he tries to laser camp and he's screwed if he tries to approach and gets grabbed. Falco is easily disadvantaged to Snake. G&W actually has variation to his approach that lets him NOT GET GRABBED, and he does better by far juggling and edgeguarding Snake.
I don't play as falco, so i'm not going to get into this match up discussion. I forget a lot of you don't think snake is G&W's worst match up still.

MK is more debatable granted...however Falco doesn't have a real way of touching MK if MK gets the lead. I'm pretty sure we've heard about how Dojo got into trouble for something like that. As gay as MK is when he gets a % lead, G&W's range advantage...does in fact matter. Not to mention the fact he's vastly superior at juggling and edgeguarding, two things which are very applicable against MK.
MK's too light to juggle at anything over 40%, which is where Falco could get MK easy. MK's up-b, tornado, drill, and most likely fair, have further range then anything G&W has.

Plus falco's lasers trip MK up all over the place. G&W doesn't have many options with a tornado is rushing at him, except sheild and hope the MK falls for the old up-b trick, which almost all MKs know and avoid.

Blizzard does beat B-air, but it's near-impossible to follow up with. The other way around, it's very easy for G&W to follow up with B-air. It's possible to also beat Blizzard with Oil Panic (just space incredibly well when you want to collect the ice).
blizzard follows up into anything. In fact, desynced blizzard is used to connect into grabs. the oil panic thing may not be a bad idea however.

G&W does have obvious problems...none of them are nearly as bad as we may have thought they were. All of his matchups, even his worst ones, are winnable. He's not easy to use granted...just he's definitely capable of holding himself up against the S tier when played right.
As is the same with most higher tier characters. I remain convinced G&W is not among the top 5 characters in the game. The community would play him as such is this was the case. You can't tell me a few choice G&W players see what a whole community doesn't. There's a reason why hardly anyone plays him anymore. And its not because b-air stopped working. He simply doesn't have what it takes to be one of the best.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I don't play as falco, so i'm not going to get into this match up discussion. I forget a lot of you don't think snake is G&W's worst match up still.
I think it's only like 2-3 of us that think Snake isn't a bad matchup for G&W.

There's a reason why hardly anyone plays him anymore. And its not because b-air stopped working. He simply doesn't have what it takes to be one of the best.
I think G&W does have what it takes to make top 5, easily. The reason why he doesn't is because "the correct way to play him" isn't as easy to learn as other top tier characters. Most people think it's a simple as just using hi-damaging aerials followed by early-killing smashes, but we already know that doesn't work anymore.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
That's been the case for nearly a year now. We (myself included) have used that excuse way past where we should've stopped. I can't accept the reason behind G&W's fall is because "He doesn't play the way we thought he did 10+ months ago." High-damage aerials into early killing smashes hasn't worked for a looooong time. We all know that. Everyone knows that. It simply isn't the reason. Characters change. G&W just didn't change for the better. I do think some people gave up on him a bit too soon. And I do think he doesn't get the attention he deserves. But because a character changes in playstyle doesn't cause for a nearly total abandonment of a high tier character.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Theres nothing fast about G&W. Every single one of his smashes are punishable, no matter how they're used. His down tilt is the closest thing to unpunishable he has. Honestly, who do you people play that don't know how to punish? His bair is ok at best, his nair is good, until people realize projectiles and range works. His best KO move is fair, without a doubt. And fair hits on 10, in the air, while G&W is flying at you, giving you plenty of time to not get hit.
G&W is actually QUITE quick of a character. His speed in the air and on the ground are both better than average, his aerial movement being top tier. Lets not forget that start up isn't the only criteria to consider when judging a character's "speed" (Speed isn't simply startup on moves; it's numerous things such as movement speed, startup AND cooldown). G&W's movement speed is really a lot better than most would attribute to him, and framewise he really isn't slow at all. While he may not have the least amount of startup on many of his moves, his cooldown is really quite good all around. Bowser's only considered "slow" because of his lagtime, as his startup and movement speed is good and average respectively. G&W has several moves that startup quite well, such as upB, and almost all of his moves have fantastic cooldown.

Speed is not in any shape an issue for G&W at all. It's so multifaceted that the only character who on the whole is really slow is Ganon, and even then his startup isn't so dreadful.

You can argue that startup time is an overall negative for G&W, but given the property of his aerial deceleration, throwing out his long lasting moves is incredibly safe, though C+C isn't the strongest point for us, and that's completely fine. G&W should be played more like Marth than MK, anyway.

You're just flat-out wrong that G&W's smashes are punishable in every aspect. I'm fairly sure every one of them are safe on block, and even if one happens to be able to be punished by the quickest of moves, they all induce enough pushback on the opponents shield to be incredibly difficult for even the quickest of characters to punish (Not to mention that Fsmash even shield pokes quick well). The cooldown on all his smashes are also quite good, so they happen to be much safer on miss than several other moves. With smart use of G&W's amazing charged smashes game, spotdodging them becomes incredibly unsafe and unrewarding to try and attempt, and only powershielding his smashes give you the ability to punish them aside from him missing entirely. Oh, don't forget holding charge a few frames really messes up opponents running in to powershield your smashes.

G&W has some of the most unpunishable smashes when playing at his best. I don't see how one could argue that his smashes are unsafe unless the person is missing every single one.

Saying his Bair is "ok at best" and his nair is simply good shows that you are just not spacing your moves correctly.

...G&W is the most screwed high-top tier character when he gets grabbed...?
I'm sorry but I don't see how this is the case at ALL considered Snake ****ing hates getting chaingrabbed by Falco and Dedede, Wario gets grabbed released by a huge portion of the cast, and MK's air release is poor enough that people like Yoshi, Sheik, and Bowser can abuse it. Even throwing Marth/Diddy/Snake up in the air as any character is more beneficial than grabbing G&W in general. Not to mention grabbing G&W in the first place is a chore in itself.

Though you could just mean that in regards to Ice Climbers, but I don't see how that matchup is poor at all. G&W wins the matchup easily, as he is in fact one of the better characters at not getting grabbed, and splits the ICs up a ton. Though he doesn't have gimmicks like Nades during the IC chaingrabs, he definitely has an easier time at not falling into those types of situations than a good deal of the upper echelons of the cast.

G&W is really really good. His main flaws are actually non-obvious, and aren't as simple as "being light, slow, and predictabo~". His flaws are more minor than you are making them out to be, and he actually has bigger issues with regions being conservative than he does being lightweight or junk like that.

I'm recovering okay, Cutter. Thanks for your concern, it does mean a lot to me! I'm not trying to be too harsh, JKBUK, so if it sounds like that blame my pain medication and me having a rough nights sleep! Sorry if it turns out I'm a little rude. We're just having a good discussion.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Dang, I totally missed out on the fact you were at the hospital.

In the words of Masahiro Sakurai...YOU MUST RECOVER! You main ****ing G&W dude. =P

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
G&W is actually QUITE quick of a character. His speed in the air and on the ground are both better than average, his aerial movement being top tier. Lets not forget that start up isn't the only criteria to consider when judging a character's "speed" (Speed isn't simply startup on moves; it's numerous things such as movement speed, startup AND cooldown). G&W's movement speed is really a lot better than most would attribute to him, and framewise he really isn't slow at all. While he may not have the least amount of startup on many of his moves, his cooldown is really quite good all around. Bowser's only considered "slow" because of his lagtime, as his startup and movement speed is good and average respectively. G&W has several moves that startup quite well, such as upB, and almost all of his moves have fantastic cooldown.
His cooldown is great. Too bad it won't matter when you won't get a smash off. Face it. Unless its to punish a recovery, G&W's startup time, whatever the speed is, is NOT fast enough to use in close quarters.

G&W's fastest smash, d-smash. Hits on 15. Lets see some frame data.
Marth f-smash: 10
Wolf f-smash: 10
Pikachu up-smash: 9 d-smash: 6
Falco d-smash: 7 up-smash: 8
Wario d-smash: 8 up-smash: 11 f-smash: 9
Peach d-smash: 6
anything but f-smash for MK
snake f-tilt: 4
diddy d-smash: 6

need i say more? G&W smashes are SLOW. They just are. Cool down or not, they're slow enough to the point that any smart player can avoid them.

Speed is not in any shape an issue for G&W at all. It's so multifaceted that the only character who on the whole is really slow is Ganon, and even then his startup isn't so dreadful.

You can argue that startup time is an overall negative for G&W, but given the property of his aerial deceleration, throwing out his long lasting moves is incredibly safe, though C+C isn't the strongest point for us, and that's completely fine. G&W should be played more like Marth than MK, anyway.
NoJ agrees with me. G&W is too slow, and that reason alone is why G&W is seriously starting to lack in tournies. Its his #1 problem. G&W isn't failing for nothing. Seriously, you have to realize the problem in order to fix it. And no one wants to admit it.

You're just flat-out wrong that G&W's smashes are punishable in every aspect. I'm fairly sure every one of them are safe on block, and even if one happens to be able to be punished by the quickest of moves, they all induce enough pushback on the opponents shield to be incredibly difficult for even the quickest of characters to punish (Not to mention that Fsmash even shield pokes quick well). The cooldown on all his smashes are also quite good, so they happen to be much safer on miss than several other moves. With smart use of G&W's amazing charged smashes game, spotdodging them becomes incredibly unsafe and unrewarding to try and attempt, and only powershielding his smashes give you the ability to punish them aside from him missing entirely. Oh, don't forget holding charge a few frames really messes up opponents running in to powershield your smashes.

You're flat out wrong when you say they're all safe on the block. They most certainly are not. Wolf's f-smash alone is proof of that. Spotdodging smashes against G&W is something most people up here stopped doing months ago.

G&W has some of the most unpunishable smashes when playing at his best. I don't see how one could argue that his smashes are unsafe unless the person is missing every single one.
Again, I hate to drag NoJ into this, but if he sees a problem, then there's a **** problem. I don't have many vids of myself, or a reputation even, so my word isn't that good. But NoJ is probably the most traveled G&W there is (UTD might be a bit more, idk how often he gets around ((STILL hasn't been here :mad:)))

Saying his Bair is "ok at best" and his nair is simply good shows that you are just not spacing your moves correctly.
Marth has the ability to sweetspot an F-smash through nair and bair. Projectiles WRECK it, on top of screwing up your spacing. And once again, spacing bair doesn't work anymore. Sorry. All anyone has to do is turn around and back up a little before the normal G&W starts to retreat his "safely spaced bair." G&W hardly even has an approach anymore.

Though you could just mean that in regards to Ice Climbers, but I don't see how that matchup is poor at all. G&W wins the matchup easily, as he is in fact one of the better characters at not getting grabbed, and splits the ICs up a ton. Though he doesn't have gimmicks like Nades during the IC chaingrabs, he definitely has an easier time at not falling into those types of situations than a good deal of the upper echelons of the cast.
Lain: G&W gets so screwed against IC's, it really sucks. One grab over 30% and thats it.

G&W has few defences against grabbing. B-air, which again, is SOO predictable its not that big of a deal, n-air, which isn't really reliable due to it being more of an air/juggling move then closer to the ground, and ledgecamping. All of which can be broken by desynced blizzard or iceblocks. Then all IC's have to do is wait for you.

G&W is really really good. His main flaws are actually non-obvious, and aren't as simple as "being light, slow, and predictabo~". His flaws are more minor than you are making them out to be, and he actually has bigger issues with regions being conservative than he does being lightweight or junk like that.
True fact: G&W is dying in tournies. And continues to do so. No matter how minor these flaws may be to you, those flaws ARE whats killing him. These flaws are whats totally removing this character from tournies. When an entire community nearly stops using a character because of flaws, somethings wrong.

I'm recovering okay, Cutter. Thanks for your concern, it does mean a lot to me! I'm not trying to be too harsh, JKBUK, so if it sounds like that blame my pain medication and me having a rough nights sleep! Sorry if it turns out I'm a little rude. We're just having a good discussion.
Good luck recovering! I understand, I've been in the same kind of situation before (less severe, of course, so I could only imagine how you're feeling right now)

JCav

Smash Lord
i really dont want to step into this but what are you upset about dustin? i forgot...

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
His cooldown is great. Too bad it won't matter when you won't get a smash off. Face it. Unless its to punish a recovery, G&W's startup time, whatever the speed is, is NOT fast enough to use in close quarters.
This is an extremely bold statement, and just really untrue. G&W's upB's wind is on 3/invincible on 5/hits on 9, Dtilt/Grab/Dash attack all hit on frame 6, Jab hits on 4, etc etc. His close combat speed is more than fine. Whether his smashes are all usable enough to throw out in c+c has no bearing on his close up game at all, and even then his smashes aren't slow at all.

G&W's fastest smash, d-smash. Hits on 15. Lets see some frame data.
Marth f-smash: 10
Wolf f-smash: 10
Pikachu up-smash: 9 d-smash: 6
Falco d-smash: 7 up-smash: 8
Wario d-smash: 8 up-smash: 11 f-smash: 9
Peach d-smash: 6
anything but f-smash for MK
snake f-tilt: 4
diddy d-smash: 6

need i say more? G&W smashes are SLOW. They just are. Cool down or not, they're slow enough to the point that any smart player can avoid them.
so you proceed to list a bunch of quick smashes (and a tilt? What the ****?) as "evidence" that G&W's smashes are slow. Unfortunately for you, I can do similar things and throw out how Ganon's, Ike's, Snake's, Bowser's, Lucas' (not fsmash), and Link's smashes are all slower by a large margin. I won't do this because it's as pointless as your sample of "evidence". Listing the quickest smashes in the game doesn't show that G&W's smashes are slow at all, and it's a stretch to say something to that affect. G&W's startup on his smashes is average. That's all they are. They aren't slow in startup, and they are quick in cooldown.

Not to mention G&W's smashes are better than pretty much all those smashes you listed. You also fail to note that MK's and Diddy's dsmash, while they hit really quick framewise on one side, they are double side hitting smashes and have to hit the other side. This skews your sample as those smashes arent always in the ideal situation (facing the opponent).

The fact is, any opponent can avoid any of those moves consistently because they can read into it. I avoid Fox's Usmash as easily as G&W's when it's just randomly thrown out. Smashes are poor if you are just relying on csticking them at the opponent.

Even "smart" opponents will get hit by G&W's when conditioned or pressured like correctly. Anyway, point is, our smashes AREN'T slow in terms of startup. They are average. The difference is pretty distinct.

NoJ agrees with me. G&W is too slow, and that reason alone is why G&W is seriously starting to lack in tournies. Its his #1 problem. G&W isn't failing for nothing. Seriously, you have to realize the problem in order to fix it. And no one wants to admit it.
Namedropping, eh? It would be more effective if the person you namedropped didn't also claim that MK vs G&W is an unwinnable matchup if the Meta Knight is good. Also saying thins like G&W will drop to low tier hurts credibility.

I've shown that G&W is fast in both terms of mobility and in terms of C+C options by showing well documented research and frame data in the thread I put up the other night. If NoJ thinks G&W is still slow he should post in that thread refuting straight facts. If he still thinks G&W is slow, that's really just his opinion which he is entitled to.

Trying to get all G&W mains to agree with the viewpoint that G&W is slow is something else entirely, so I'll definitely speak out against this. You guys can personally think Game and Watch's main problem is his average startup time, but it's something else to be telling us that that we can't see this "obvious" issue or we are simply in denial about our character.

You're flat out wrong when you say they're all safe on the block. They most certainly are not. Wolf's f-smash alone is proof of that. Spotdodging smashes against G&W is something most people up here stopped doing months ago.
Actually, the only Smash Wolf can punish on block is Fsmash, and that's only with his Fsmash. He actually can't punish the weak hitbox of the Fsmash if he runs in a shields it a little late. Usmash only gives Wolf a single frame to act on after blocking, and as he is pushed back shield grabbing is out of the options. Usmash is pretty much unpunishable on block. Fsmash is his least safe on block, but as it pushes the opponent back, things like shieldgrabbing or quick dsmashes wont usually hit him anyways.

Dsmash can only be punished by really quick moves in general.
Usmash might only be able to be punished by extremely long shield grabs, otherwise it's just not possible.

Regardless, I never said 100% that they were all unpunishable, but there is definitely a problem if you, a G&W main, can't see how safe his smashes are in typical situations.

Again, I hate to drag NoJ into this, but if he sees a problem, then there's a **** problem.
Namedropping has been addressed earlier. It's a poor way to discuss things.

Marth has the ability to sweetspot an F-smash through nair and bair. Projectiles WRECK it, on top of screwing up your spacing. And once again, spacing bair doesn't work anymore. Sorry. All anyone has to do is turn around and back up a little before the normal G&W starts to retreat his "safely spaced bair." G&W hardly even has an approach anymore.
Projectiles don't wreck our approach at all. The only examples that have some shred of truth in them are energy based projectiles from people like Falco, who don't even have a great way to address you once you get in G&W's best zone of play. If you are getting fsmashed through Marth's fsmash, I'm fairly certain you are doing something quite wrong, but I haven't spent the most time in looking at the Marth v G&W matchup and which moves trade. I don't think he should be doing this when properly spaced, however.

Spacing Bair still works. If they are backing up, then it's successful. It's pretty simple. Our approach game is and always has been fine. Maybe if all you play on is FD then things may be different.

Lain: G&W gets so screwed against IC's, it really sucks. One grab over 30% and thats it.
Namedropping lain too...?
Any character is screwed when grabbed by IC's. This is common sense. Don't get grabbed.

G&W has few defences against grabbing. B-air, which again, is SOO predictable its not that big of a deal, n-air, which isn't really reliable due to it being more of an air/juggling move then closer to the ground, and ledgecamping. All of which can be broken by desynced blizzard or iceblocks. Then all IC's have to do is wait for you.
I don't feel like discussing the IC's matchup on top of arguing G&W's supposed weaknesses. I'm sure you could get a better argument brewed up in the IC's export.

True fact: G&W is dying in tournies. And continues to do so. No matter how minor these flaws may be to you, those flaws ARE whats killing him. These flaws are whats totally removing this character from tournies. When an entire community nearly stops using a character because of flaws, somethings wrong.
These flaws aren't what's killing him. They simply aren't nearly as ****ing as his fall suggests they must be. If his flaws don't cover why he's dropping that far, there must be an alternate reasoning as to why.

It's actually simpler.
1: G&W is poorer in conservative regions.
2: G&W is an unpopular character
3: G&W's skill ceiling is actually much higher than his skill floor suggests

These in combination with each other make G&W just not appealing to use, and thats why his tournament representation is dropping. His character itself is incredibly good, but people rather go with the easy to use, popular, characters that do good in the conservative regions. That's pretty much it.

This is why I have a ton of respect for UTD Zac. He's still using G&W despite the environment making G&W seem undesirable.

Good luck recovering! I understand, I've been in the same kind of situation before (less severe, of course, so I could only imagine how you're feeling right now)
Yeah things are getting a bit better now. Being able to finally eat solids makes me really happy :)

sleeping is wicked uncomfortable, though.

Also, you're not a nobody or anything, JKBUK. Those matches you posted showed that you're pretty good with G&W, so don't get down on yourself when bringing up NoJ. You can only get better!

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
This is an extremely bold statement, and just really untrue. G&W's upB's wind is on 3/invincible on 5/hits on 9, Dtilt/Grab/Dash attack all hit on frame 6, Jab hits on 4, etc etc. His close combat speed is more than fine. Whether his smashes are all usable enough to throw out in c+c has no bearing on his close up game at all, and even then his smashes aren't slow at all.
well a ton of characters have fast moves. but d-tilt (unless you're edgeguarding a wolf) isn't gunna kill for a looong while. Jab can be dangerous if you aren't careful, as it could easily lead into a grab. DA can be sheild grabbed pretty easily as well. I have been using grab more, which seems to be working, so there's that.

so you proceed to list a bunch of quick smashes (and a tilt? What the ****?) as "evidence" that G&W's smashes are slow. Unfortunately for you, I can do similar things and throw out how Ganon's, Ike's, Snake's, Bowser's, Lucas' (not fsmash), and Link's smashes are all slower by a large margin. I won't do this because it's as pointless as your sample of "evidence". Listing the quickest smashes in the game doesn't show that G&W's smashes are slow at all, and it's a stretch to say something to that affect. G&W's startup on his smashes is average. That's all they are. They aren't slow in startup, and they are quick in cooldown.
what i listed were all moves that could easily kill you, moves you can't do much about up close. All higher tier characters as well (except wolf, but i'll never be convinced that the matchup is anymore then 55:45 G&W.)

Not to mention G&W's smashes are better than pretty much all those smashes you listed. You also fail to note that MK's and Diddy's dsmash, while they hit really quick framewise on one side, they are double side hitting smashes and have to hit the other side. This skews your sample as those smashes arent always in the ideal situation (facing the opponent).
This is true, but we're talking about having to hit and not "missing smashes."

Even "smart" opponents will get hit by G&W's when conditioned or pressured like correctly. Anyway, point is, our smashes AREN'T slow in terms of startup. They are average. The difference is pretty distinct.
Average doesn't cut it in a "best character." This is the point I'm trying to make.

Namedropping, eh? It would be more effective if the person you namedropped didn't also claim that MK vs G&W is an unwinnable matchup if the Meta Knight is good. Also saying thins like G&W will drop to low tier hurts credibility.
and IMO, he's right. Although he likes to **** talk a lot about how bad G&W is (a bad habit I have as well) he knows G&W won't drop that low.

I've shown that G&W is fast in both terms of mobility and in terms of C+C options by showing well documented research and frame data in the thread I put up the other night. If NoJ thinks G&W is still slow he should post in that thread refuting straight facts. If he still thinks G&W is slow, that's really just his opinion which he is entitled to.
NoJ won't post, he gets a warning everytime he does. (looking at you hylian)
nah jk. Its funny as hell. But yeah, he just doesn't post opinions anymore.

Projectiles don't wreck our approach at all. The only examples that have some shred of truth in them are energy based projectiles from people like Falco, who don't even have a great way to address you once you get in G&W's best zone of play. If you are getting fsmashed through Marth's fsmash, I'm fairly certain you are doing something quite wrong, but I haven't spent the most time in looking at the Marth v G&W matchup and which moves trade. I don't think he should be doing this when properly spaced, however.
How don't they? They ruin spacing, something I'm being told I need to do so much more. Doesn't Falco have some sort of laser --> dacus?

And no, the Marth this is pretty much a guarantee, especially if you play "safe." Theres that certain "sweetspot zone" that G&W just does NOT want to be in. I know for a fact it hits thru bair and nair, I've tested it. Whether or not a hit of the bair (i'm fairly certain nair is out of reach) hits marth, I can't remember. But that would only serve to hurt us, as only one hit would hit Marth, canceling the lag on his f-smash.

It can get really bad. A sweetspot f-smash wrecks bucketbraking. TONS of hitstun.

Spacing Bair still works. If they are backing up, then it's successful. It's pretty simple. Our approach game is and always has been fine. Maybe if all you play on is FD then things may be different.
Its not fine. As I've said before, some characters (Marth, Wario) will purposely take the hit. Some will just continue to sheild it, and move closer to you.

Here's what I mean:
Bair: 6 hits, 18% damage.

If G&W flies at the opponent using back air, at least one or two hits will have already been used getting to that point. You don't want to hit with the last hit, you'll get grabbed. So you have 3-4 hits to DI inward and Outward. THAT won't provide shield pressure. So while you continue to do that, the opponent will continue to shield, and move towards you. This is why B-air isn't too great an approach anymore. Because people learned how to punish it thrown out, then people learned when a G&W "safely spaces it," it's not scary at all.

Any character is screwed when grabbed by IC's. This is common sense. Don't get grabbed.
Point is, a lot of characters can still grab break at lower percents. G&W can't. Because he's light. Unless you get grabbed at 10-15 or lower, a great IC's will kill you.

*what was said about flaws*
Well see, here's why I argue this so much.

You gotta know whats wrong in order to get better. And I just can't believe its due to unpopularity, or because people just won't take the time with him. And on top of that, those are both things we can do little to fix. I just don't like to see "I've finally learned how to play G&W" while he's still doing so poorly in tournies.

Yeah things are getting a bit better now. Being able to finally eat solids makes me really happy :)
sleeping is wicked uncomfortable, though.
Well thats good :) Good to hear it. Like someone said earlier, get well soon, you're a G&W. There's not many of us left.

Also, you're not a nobody or anything, JKBUK. Those matches you posted showed that you're pretty good with G&W, so don't get down on yourself when bringing up NoJ. You can only get better!
I've been trying to improve, but every tourney its lose to snake, lose to Anther. Or some other really beast player. I've picked up Dedede, in hopes to solve my snake problem. But MI sucks at organizing tournies, so god only knows when I'll be able to actually play again :laugh:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Everyone, put your faith in Valdens and UTD Zac. Those guys are the best G&Ws in the world.

I am awed at how far they have come with this one character.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I don't know about Valdens (havent seen him recently at all), but UTD Zac has my faith!
JKBUK, if you want me to reply to your points, just say so. I don't particularly agree with them, nor did you directly reply to some of the said quotes, but the whole discussion is a little time wasting and not too productive :p

Anyway I'm having some trouble playing on Castle Siege in a few matchups as G&W. Any tips to help me do better on it? The first formation is easy to play, but it's the second one that really bugs me. All I do is unstale my moves on the statue and stall it out. The ROB matchup is just painful here!

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
I don't know about Valdens (havent seen him recently at all), but UTD Zac has my faith!
JKBUK, if you want me to reply to your points, just say so. I don't particularly agree with them, nor did you directly reply to some of the said quotes, but the whole discussion is a little time wasting and not too productive :p

Anyway I'm having some trouble playing on Castle Siege in a few matchups as G&W. Any tips to help me do better on it? The first formation is easy to play, but it's the second one that really bugs me. All I do is unstale my moves on the statue and stall it out. The ROB matchup is just painful here!
nah, I think we're done, lol. Before it gets messy.

I hate castle siege too. Surprise fairs tend to kill as the second transition appears (they suddenly get lifted off the ground as the banners form.) But if they're smart and stay off the platform and banners, its hard.

Lasting hitbox from hitting the statues with your smashes can people too :chuckle:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Valdens pretty legit. Zac's a bit better though only because of the fear he brings to the game anytime he whips out a hammer.

I like his Fro more though.

Hydruz

Smash Cadet
Offline GNW To watch out for.

Meltdown_XYZ
Valdens
UTDZac
Me when i start driving lolol

Hydruz

Smash Cadet
once I start driving ill head to vegas and norcal and win all the monthlies.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
The lower portion of his flexed leg looks too curved near the end.

He's got a huge thumb.

You have slight flaws in the arrow, but for the most part it's nothing much (and pretty impressive if you did that in Paint)

Those are my only critiques. IDK what inspired you to make a manly G&W, but it looks nice. :)

Top Bottom