• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Our Fsmash should be more broken... A Marth Social thread

Walt

Smash Ace
Mega Man Zero 2 > MMZ3 > MMZ1 > MMX4

the truth! the zero games for GBA were amazing. best art, story and gameplay of any MM game.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Hey there Marth's. Name's Vocal, and while I'm a Brawl player I'm learning Melee over the summer for ****s an giggles. I'm making alright progress, but I wanted to ask: what's the best way to handle Marth and Roy's Side Bs? I know, they're terrible moves, but I'm occasionally getting tripped up by them. So what's the best reaction? Shield? Crouch cancel? Evade it completely? Also, if spaced properly, does Fair outrange them?

MasterShake

Smash Lord
CC into shield.

You can grab any of them (except for the third one aimed downwards, I get sooo many people to whiff grabs with that one...)

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
I enjoy doing side b for ****s n giggles, randomly to trip up people who don't expect it...and to be unpredictable when I'm edge guarding :3 The spike from the 3rd down is ****ing NASTY. I've yet to see a person or AI who can up-b cancel, jump cancel, or just generally recover once they're hit with that spike at like 30% or higher...And it just looks bad *** lol.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Hey, me again. I've been working on learning some of the tech skill for Marth, mainly wavedashing and SHFFLing. Now that I can somewhat do them, however, I'm not sure how to use them properly. What should wavedashing be used for? Should SHFFL be my go to approach?

Since marth's wavedash is so good, you can pretty much use it for everything regarding movement.

Use it to change direction if you overshot your pivot. Get off from the ledge. Get the hell out of the way if you are in a bad position. Use it from the shield to get closer to an opponent. Help with spacing if you might have gotten closer than you wanted too. Just use all the time and you'll probably figure out when to use it naturally.

SHFFLs are mostly just a habit you break into. There is a clear advantage to fast falling an aerial and l-canceling it. It gives your opponent less time to react, and gives you less time wasted between attacks. So, once you get into the habit, you just start using it for everything. So, mostly once you have this habit down, the real question are how do you use Marth's aerials and when are they good to use.

Also, I've got free time on my hands and I want something to work with on Marth. What are his random techy stuff that is rather useless. The only thing I can think of might be moonwalking or regrabbing the ledge after using shield breaker.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Since marth's wavedash is so good, you can pretty much use it for everything regarding movement.

Use it to change direction if you overshot your pivot. Get off from the ledge. Get the hell out of the way if you are in a bad position. Use it from the shield to get closer to an opponent. Help with spacing if you might have gotten closer than you wanted too. Just use all the time and you'll probably figure out when to use it naturally.

SHFFLs are mostly just a habit you break into. There is a clear advantage to fast falling an aerial and l-canceling it. It gives your opponent less time to react, and gives you less time wasted between attacks. So, once you get into the habit, you just start using it for everything. So, mostly once you have this habit down, the real question are how do you use Marth's aerials and when are they good to use.

Also, I've got free time on my hands and I want something to work with on Marth. What are his random techy stuff that is rather useless. The only thing I can think of might be moonwalking or regrabbing the ledge after using shield breaker.
Alright, I'll work on these, but how do you use it to get off the ledge? Ledge hop then waveland? And wouldn't that leave you vulnerable?

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
To escape from being on the lane you wanna drop, grab the ledge, then ledge hop up with a fair or nair into a wave dash or 2. Add a crouch cancel in there if you think/know the character or player can get out of the hitstun/into position fast enough.

Marth's good in the air...just not from above. If they're above you, you can juggle their ***** all night. The problem with marth is when someone gets below him...

@Vocal:
All you do is pull away (drop) from the ledge, then use your 2nd jump to get back above the stage and add in a wavedash before you touch the ground. Yes, it will leave you vulnerable, but it's marth's fastest method of getting on stage and gets him the furthest in stage from the ledge. It is not to be used for everything, but it is probably better than ever rolling on stage. Again, there are the exceptions for mixing it up.

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
I personally prefer to use a nair or fair to get up. They both have little to no landing lag in that situation, even if/especially if you l-cancel, and you can still slide in a wave dash or 2 but you're not nearly as defenseless at the start as just jumping and wavedashing :/....

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Theres a lot to be said for the ledgehop waveland in place/ledgehop counter/ledgehop fair tri-mixup. Counter beats timed attacks against ur ledgehop (pretty good against lasers and turnips). Ledgehop waveland has the most reward IMO because it gets you stage positioning. Ledgehop laaaaate fair can catch people who are just waiting for you to do anything from a "safe" distance. Between counter and fair [and ledgehop waveland shield], there shouldn't be an option that threatens all 3 choices (except maybe in marth dittos lol)

Walt

Smash Ace
I just wanna say about the friendlies I played with Tai, felt like I was just trolling him hella hard by being bad, but still making every game close. Hilarious!

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
marth's sheild is an f'in joke lol, just took a good look and a fresh sheild has his head poking out of it! -_-

buuuuut i actually main marth, even though with the dumb name i gave myself ppl think i main mewtwo lol

i had some ranting type compliants but meh, never mind lmao

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
I just wanna say about the friendlies I played with Tai, felt like I was just trolling him hella hard by being bad, but still making every game close. Hilarious!
i actually recorded those games

Divinokage

Smash Legend
marth's sheild is an f'in joke lol, just took a good look and a fresh sheild has his head poking out of it! -_-

buuuuut i actually main marth, even though with the dumb name i gave myself ppl think i main mewtwo lol

i had some ranting type compliants but meh, never mind lmao
I guess he's another character you have to be good at Shield DIing with. =P If not you get shield stabbed all day.

Jonas

Smash Champion
I guess he's another character you have to be good at Shield DIing with. =P If not you get shield stabbed all day.
Don't get shield DI and shield tilting mixed up =)
Shield DI is kind of like Smash DI in that it lets you move a little bit every time your shield gets hit (try to shield and hold forward while Fox spams little brother bullets on you).

But yeah Marth's shield kinda sux. I don't really like shielding, people can do all kinds of stupid things to you when you shield. You sacrifice movement options in turn for maybe not getting hit.

But yeah Marth's shield kinda sux. I don't really like shielding, people can do all kinds of stupid things to you when you shield. You sacrifice movement options in turn for maybe not getting hit.
I recall a moment where marth's shield managed to take two of peach's dsmashes. It was pretty much gone after that, but shield tilting does make all the difference.

I don't remember the details from a few months back. I just know marth's shield survived two peach dsmashes with no poke. Whatever happened to make it happen is what happened.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
From my experience, marth can't shield peach's dsmash and will always get poked. Every other top tier can and can punish OoS

Top Bottom