• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Our Fsmash should be more broken... A Marth Social thread

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I wish i could remember what the topic of this thread was. Or i wish i wasn't too lazy to go back a page.

In any case, i'll just take that out of context as random *****ing

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Better than sailor moon.

at least i know who the best zoning marth of all time is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y0uZgNegyo
(for a historical reference point, this was VLS aka Very Last Smashaclysm, supposed to be the last major tournament before brawl was released. Happened just a few months before Pound 3 which was the weekend before the release)

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Late fair>Dtilt. Late fair>Utilt. Late fair>jab. Is what I live by. What do you guys do against shields? Besides grab, that's banned.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Zoso's marth is just mad gay
Thanks man, you too.

Fair > jab and fair > utilt are both terrible against shields. If anything you should fair > dash away or the slightly riskier dash through so you're safe if they didn't try to shieldgrab the fair.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Usually its a lot of stuff in PMs and over AIM. Unlike brawl and 64 we dont have a good way to play over the net, so its not like I can get a gage of his skill through that. Instead I try to look at the videos they have of themselves and ask a lot of questions. So far, all the people i've mentored have been a little shy so they didn't really have a lot of questions for me, which is kinda sucky. When it boils down to it, answering their questions is basically the only thing i can do.

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
I'm relatively sure I have you on AIM Sveet...Id ask questions, but I lack a video recording device atm...camera has been dead since my old vids almost 2 years ago...(wow its been that long? 1 and a half already...)
Poof I return to post in other threads/sub forums I care bout beyond NEOH...Lets see how long it lasts!

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Well feel free to ask questions. If i know the answer i'll vocalize it. If i don't, im sure someone here does.

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
Well one of my biggest issues still today? I cannot get the damned grab combo on fox. I dunno why, I just cannot chain up throws...Do you have to run back and then forward again or something?

Jonas

Smash Champion
You don't have to dash until around 16%, and that's with full DI. 27-early 30's you have to pivot or at least dash, turn around JC grab if they don't DI.

booshk

Smash Lord
anyone know the earliest percentage fox can shine you when you're cging him?
is it just the same as the percents as when you have to first pivot grab?
never bothered to actually check lol

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
Yeah, the reason I ask is cause every video, it looks like marth is practically standing still. I can't see any pivoting, turning around, or DD-ing....It always left me confused as to why it never seemed to work for me :/ Course, I suspect the fact that the only foxes I've had the chance to try it on are either not that good with DI or computers may have something to do with it...The ones who may know how to DI I rarely got the chance to grab...but it's been a great many months since I've played one with my marth without me being months rusty cause no one near me plays so I only get time in at tournies :<

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
I dunno, I can read the instructions, I can read all the %'s...but for all my intelligence...when it comes to fighters, I gotta have it beaten into me like the hero of a shonen jump manga lol. I never seem to get better or learn by practicing (by myself or against AI), 'hitting the books', or being told what to do, ESPECIALLY in fighters. I mean if I already know the thing itself, being told to do it is do-able (IE 'you gotta do a fair after such n such, not a nair' as an example for a combo) but for things that I can't do and/or haven't done yet...I gotta see it in person, and try to get it told/shown to me in person ^^; It's the same/similar for my studies as well as other games, but it's really apparent in fighters >.<. I'll try next time I play a competent fox...but early % I've tried the whole 'stand still and grab' thing...it never worked beyond 1, MAYBE 2 grabs :/...

EDIT: ^ The reason for all that is that I'm a guy who plays by instinct. I learn and adapt through instinct. In any game, I go with my gut when I can. It REALLY tends to pay off...It's one of the reasons when I was practicing with H2O/PMS Co Ed on CoD4, I was able to beat a team of mostly officers/veterans with mostly newbies and average players ^^;...Although I suspect they may have not been playing seriously >.>.....But to the point...
I play games by instinct. There's only so much I can absorb by 'reading up' on stuff or being 'told' it without being 'shown' it. It's more apparent in some genres (fighters) than in others (RTS/RPG) The rest I've gotta see in person and/or have it done for/to me to learn how to adapt/do/beat it >.<

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
If being told how to do a combo doesn't work, and practicing how to do a combo doesn't work, how are you expecting to learn how to do the combo?

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
What I mean is...Just saying 'do this then then with that' doesn't do it for me all that well. I can do it, but it takes longer to absorb. Seeing a recording of the thing itself, without having it done to me, or seeing how their fingers move when doing it, is also learnable but takes as long. *shrug* Dunno why...
If I can fight AGAINST it or see the finger movements of someone who CAN/DOES do it, I usually get it a lot faster...
EDIT: For instance....Stupid/bad example probably, but wavedashing. I could NOT, for the LIFE of me, do good short hop wavedashes consistently...until I went to my first in person NEOH tournament in Feb 2010. I watched a few of the much better NEOH melee regulars there do it and a few others, and I picked it up very quickly from there, or at least learned how to do it faster and more efficiently, than how I learned it on my own....that sort of make sense...? ^^;

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I suppose. To me it seems less about button inputs and more about proper reactions. The chaingrab really only takes pressing z and making sure you're facing the correct way.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Woops my bad.

Marth has a big sword and stuff. Its fun to swing. Edgeguards are gratifying and mechanical!

ILM

Smash Journeyman
Marth does not compensate, he merely strives to recreate his good *traits* by representing them with his weapons.

Top Bottom