• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Our Fsmash should be more broken... A Marth Social thread

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Does Marth team well with anybody?

:phone:
Marth's doubles game isnt as strong as his singles
i find that you have to basically play him completely different

I think Marth is okay with a fox, falco, or sheik as long as he is playing the support role

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
I like teaming with puff and falcon and fox above others. Support role of course.

The best way to make Marth/falcon work is if you use your stage control to create two 1v1s instead of a 2v2

Falcon controls his side of the stage without fear of eating a big punish from a second character this is really good for his down throw tech chasing, also falcons mobility gives you a huge freedom to edge guard in a way that isn't normally avalible to you in doubles.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
I can't play Marth in teams :(
i suck as support and am too used to swinging my sword at anything that moves

/pocketfox

stelzig

Smash Lord
My biggest problem with marth in teams is that he's really bad at 1v2 situations.

Lack of KO power from an aerial is also pretty annoying, but I suppose the right teammate can compensate for that.

Edit: For that reason I am also unsure how good I think puff as a teammate would be since puff is slow (also in recovery) so marth is bound to have to fight alone for longer periods of time and that can turn really ugly. Then again I team with a samus and he's easily the player I work best with in teams... But that is also part of the reason I mostly gave up on using marth now.

Jonas

Smash Champion
I mostly go Ganon in teams. I don't know if he's better, but at least he can just fly around and punch people when they're in kill%. Due to his lack of aerial KO power, Marth sort of has to combo into Fsmash or gimp/edgeguard in order to kill, and that's pretty hard in teams.
Then again I team with a samus and he's easily the player I work best with in teams... But that is also part of the reason I mostly gave up on using marth now.
And now you use Sheik. Bloody traitor.

stelzig

Smash Lord
It's been almost a year. Get over it ^x^ (well almost year for teams at least)
I still throw out the marth fairly often :) (i really just switched out main and cop-out, lol)

V

Smash Ace
How long would you all say it took you to have complete command of your marth?

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
How long would you all say it took you to have complete command of your marth?

Well. that depends on what you mean. After significant warm up I feel I have complete control, but the more I play, the less that warm time has become. Are you talking about that or are you talking about being able to compete at high level?

V

Smash Ace
I'm asking how much time it took you guys to have command of what you're doing, meaning how many weeks/months did it take to be able to do anything you're thinking on command without error.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I don't think anyone is able to do exactly everything they want.. even after 5 years competitive I still **** up a few things lol. But I mean what you can do is minimize as much as possible those mistakes.

V

Smash Ace
I know people will still make mistakes but I think you understand what I mean about being able to do what you're thinking on command. I guess 95% of the time is a good number.

I have all the basics down but now I'm working on meshing them all together in a match like situation. When I practice things individually I hardly make a mistake, but when I'm mixing everything together I make mistakes quite often. I guess I just need to keep at it until I'm consistent.

I started off learning 4 characters and was going nowhere fast so I'm sticking to just marth for singles and a little puff for 2v2. From what I can tell marth doesn't need a secondary and now I'm a firm believer in mastering one character rather than having a secondary for certain MUs (at least if your character doesn't have anything worse than 60/40. 65/35 I think might warrant a secondary).

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
It all depends really. I've been playing for a little over a year and I've had times where I've done everything perfectly without messing up for hours. Once I'm fully warmed up I don't really make technical mistakes. Most of my mistakes come from rushing things anyway (pressing buttons before stun or lag is finished) so when I'm warmed up the game just seems to slow down for me so it's to my advantage.

Fregadero

Smash Journeyman
I don't really use it unless I know its going to hit on a platform above me, and sometimes as a mix up out of uthrow.

But uhh uair is mad underrated and I need to use it more. Marth juggles are fantastic.

MaxThunder

PM Support
the hitboxes on his feet seems to combo into stuff on high percent... and it can do wierd looking stuff like stopping DK's recovery and... stuff... is awezome=)...

Mahie

Smash Lord
No actually, talking about Usmash is interesting. What do you use it for? Feel free to add as many details as you like.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Weak hit Usmash into tipper at high % works. lol. Perhaps this could be a setup when you are in the position where it's hard to kill a character at 120-130%+?

Fregadero

Smash Journeyman
I feel like at a high percent those hitboxes are too close to marth to really be a set up normally. I could see this being a good mix up but at that percent I feel like I'd rather go for a ftilt than try to hit with that.

t-iceman

Smash Journeyman
No actually, talking about Usmash is interesting. What do you use it for? Feel free to add as many details as you like.
I try to not use upsmash a lot seeing as it has a lot of lag after and a difficult to deal with start up time. However, if you can catch someone with a tipper upsmash in a combo chances are they will not expect it and you could get a kill when you normally would not (i.e. on yoshi's tipper fair to upair land on platform tipper upsmash). Another solid use for it is the weak hitbox near your feet because it sets up for a very easy techchase on fastfallers and is a difficult move to tech (upsmash to uptilt works a lot if they mis the tech on the weak hitbox). I would generally try to stay away from upsmash though because it doesnt have as much killing power as fsmash or dsmash but it is a good mixup sometimes.

MaxThunder

PM Support
I've noticed that if timed right it beats DK's ftilt... and young link's nair...
I mostly use it to punish laggy stuff... like DK's punch and.. young link's dair or something... also tech-chasing... and randomly throwing it out against CPUs turn out funny sometimes...
I'm gonna test it out more... seems like more tourneys are popping up her in norway so i'll have the chance too=)...

It'll allways be situational though...

Beat!

Smash Master
Thanks, dude =).

All my bracket matches were recorded, so there will be stuff up for critique. At least the match vs Android, because I got pretty ****ing stomped lol. After being 2-stocked twice I was like "I'm not gonna win this anyway so I might as well try something else" and went Falco.

Bad idea. I got 4-stocked (I didn't play very well, but even if I had it most likely would've been at least a 2-stock anyway so it's w/e). Android too good. I predict he'll become a great player eventually.

stelzig

Smash Lord
^For now i'll only question why you are not fastfalling your wavedash>edgehogs? That annoyed me as much as when I see people not JC grabbing. :p

I didn't sleep much last night and am really tired, maybe i'll watch your set(s) again tommorow and give some more input if I see anything useful :)

Beat!

Smash Master
Haven't thought about that actually, thanks.

And any and all critique is appreciated (I'll post in the video thread once all my bracket matches are uploaded), just please refrain from mentioning the constant nair approaching. I'm already painfully aware of that.

I hope my set vs Masterkai will be up next, because those were some really nice Marth dittos we had.

Beat!

Smash Master
Haha :D

It doesn't **** when you do it over and over again because of nerves/pressure, which is what I tend to start doing vs Sheiks in close tourney matches (this tourney was no excpetion).

When you have a healthy balance between nair and other stuff it ***** though.

V

Smash Ace
Is the Sheik MU bad enough to warrant a secondary or is it better to just learn the MU with Marth?

Construct

Smash Journeyman
Is the Sheik MU bad enough to warrant a secondary or is it better to just learn the MU with Marth?

It's 2012 and you still aren't you counterpicking Ice Climbers against Sheik? Get it together man.

Fregadero

Smash Journeyman
Sheik isnt nearly as bad as it used to be. Marth has the tools to go almost even with her. Learn to hold down and grab the edge against her.

Its not hard enough to warrant training a secondary, but if you have a strong one its not a bad idea if you have a lot of trouble with the matchup.

Top Bottom