• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omegablackmage's Mr. Game and Watch Guide

Neb

Smash Lord
if you didn't see the attack, how do you know they weren't just power-shielding?
Because it wasn't like a powershield. It was like canceling a fireball,
or hitting MK's nado with a multi-hit attack. Plus, I saw him initiate the move,
but it canceled out to quickly to identify. Its happened a couple times now.

Coroxive

Smash Cadet
I read something online that said if you charged Mr. GAW's alarm bell thing while recovering from an edge that it could do 100%; is this possible?

I'm not a pro w/GAW, nor with any character (the closest for me is Mario). All I can do is his Alarm, which only does about 11% (I think, not sure).

Can anyone find out more about this please? Thanks!

Neb

Smash Lord
well next time it happens, ask them what they did, because i am highly skeptical -_-
Don't believe me? Well, there's no reason for me to lie, I may have some replays of when it happened,
but I can't see myself looking through all of those any time soon.

I read something online that said if you charged Mr. GAW's alarm bell thing while recovering from an edge that it could do 100%; is this possible?

I'm not a pro w/GAW, nor with any character (the closest for me is Mario). All I can do is his Alarm, which only does about 11% (I think, not sure).

Can anyone find out more about this please? Thanks!
It's true, one of the reasons G&W is so high on the tier list.

pockyD

Smash Legend
Don't believe me? Well, there's no reason for me to lie, I may have some replays of when it happened,
but I can't see myself looking through all of those any time soon.
i don't need "proof", i want information - specifically, like i asked, what move it would "clank" with

you don't have to go back and do research, i just said try to find out the next time it happens, since you say it happens regularly

pockyD

Smash Legend
double posting because it's been 3 weeks

any info on what the bair could possibly clank with? I'm still having a hard time believing it

Tero.

Smash Champion
Last time I did it, Kirby's fsmash clanked with bairs landing hitbox.
lol exactly the same happened to me

I also have the sense that the landing hitboxs clanks more then the other ones.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
A few of the damage values listed in this guide are wrong. Nothing is too major, but it's enough to be worth noting.

The rapid jab does 1% per hit, not 2%.

On nair, it's actually the first hit that does 5% and the next three that do 4%, not the other way around.

Dair isn't quite right. The initial hit of it actually does 14% (and is a meteor), but it only does 13% on the way down (and is not a meteor). The landing hit does 6%. It is also impossible to hit with both the 14% and 13% hit; you can only get two hits when you hit with either of those and then hit with the landing hit.

Also, you didn't list the ledge attack (under 100%), ledge attack (100%+), or get up attack. Those do 8%, 10%, and 5% with two hits respectively.

Shök

Smash Champion
A few of the damage values listed in this guide are wrong. Nothing is too major, but it's enough to be worth noting.

The rapid jab does 1% per hit, not 2%.

On nair, it's actually the first hit that does 5% and the next three that do 4%, not the other way around.

Dair isn't quite right. The initial hit of it actually does 14% (and is a meteor), but it only does 13% on the way down (and is not a meteor). The landing hit does 6%. It is also impossible to hit with both the 14% and 13% hit; you can only get two hits when you hit with either of those and then hit with the landing hit.

Also, you didn't list the ledge attack (under 100%), ledge attack (100%+), or get up attack. Those do 8%, 10%, and 5% with two hits respectively.
Because its that useful.

Neb

Smash Lord
  • SH nair (poke)> SJ > box.
  • Oos as a mix-up is pretty nice (comes out frame 10).
  • Soft Fair off stage set-ups for some aerial follow-ups.

†¹Ãgøn¥¹†

Smash Ace
Could you please do these matchups:

Zelda
Peach
Diddy
IC

Those seems to be my biggest problems right now. I saw you puted 8/2 with zelda, but I can't seem to figure why...Her smashes seems to be very good against GW approaches.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Could you please do these matchups:

Zelda
Peach
Diddy
IC

Those seems to be my biggest problems right now. I saw you puted 8/2 with zelda, but I can't seem to figure why...Her smashes seems to be very good against GW approaches.
Check out the matchup thread in the GaW boards, this is just a guide.

There are many reasons for the Zelda matchup looking so bad, although 8-2 might be an exxageration... We recently discussed her.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Zelda's smashes are also very slow and a bucket filled with Din's Fire can kill at like 40%. Her recovery also isn't that great and if you can get inside her range it's not very hard to dominate her.

Tero.

Smash Champion
Check out the matchup thread in the GaW boards, this is just a guide.

There are many reasons for the Zelda matchup looking so bad, although 8-2 might be an exxageration... We recently discussed her.
this.

and i would actually say gaw/zelda is 70:30

Noa.

Smash Master
Shouldn't this guide be updated or should we make a new guide? It doesn't even mention the fact that Uair is useful for refreshing your moves (based on a quick scan through the guide), nevertheless bucket braking.

I think we should update the guide or make a newer one. This one is very outdated, and there are quite a few things that should be mentioned.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Shouldn't this guide be updated or should we make a new guide? It doesn't even mention the fact that Uair is useful for refreshing your moves (based on a quick scan through the guide), nevertheless bucket braking.

I think we should update the guide or make a newer one. This one is very outdated, and there are quite a few things that should be mentioned.
Like what? You named two things. I completely agree that both those need to be mentioned and placed in the "Very helpful techniques to learn" section.

I would like to see more accurate/helpful frame data listed. Also a "Combos" section would be really nice, but that's hard to put together.

Firstaidguitar1

Smash Cadet
Just started working in G&W as my secondary main to counter Fox and Pit players. Really taking a liking to him. Thanks for all the work you put into this.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
alright i went through and made some updates to the guide.

☼ fixed the percents that were mentioned to be incorrect
☼ added bucket braking in a new AT section (thats really the only AT i feel is worth being in there)
☼ made mention of the up airs degenerating properties
☼ threw in comments about people countering the turtle and turtle cancelling.

anything else to add to this to keep it more up to date (i think a combo section would be hard to do zac). For the most part gw advancements have been pretty slow, so i couldn't think of anything else.

Noa.

Smash Master
Important combos that I can think of the top of my head would be autocanceled nair > smash or whatever you want really, and also nair > UpB or UpB > to fastfall nair.

I think you should place more emphasis on how useful UpB is for many situations such as comboing, follow ups, edge guarding, retreating, etc.

LuVr

Smash Apprentice
hey corey hows life in MA doing, its me.. Tom old bud from UML and fellow G&W player just saying hi. You have an excellent guide here it was very helpful in filling in some gaps in my gameplay, especially with some of my weaker matchups.. so keep winning man hope to play with ya again someday (cough cough game unicon perhaps?)

Novabound

Smash Apprentice
As for updating, you can take out that thunder can be maxed in one go from Pika's thunder. I've tried for hours with my team mate, and we've never been able to do it. Also, the part where the last two numbers can't be pulled can be revoked. I've gotten 9, X, 9. X being a number I forget.

Edit: **** it, I just looked at my vid that disproved the Judgement Rule. But it looks scewed. Because I throw it out, miss a 9, and as I was going for it again, the first few frames come out, but the NUMBER that I pull doesn't appear because I get hit before the hurt box was out. Then to just refresh judgement, since i just got a 9 recently, I throw two hammers, one being a 3, and the other being a 9. Buuuuuuut I stand by the pika accusation.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
well pika thing is correct. have pika stand on a platform on battlefield and gw under him and one body length to the right or left. Then as the thunder strikes him pull the bucket out, the 'sparks' given off by the thunder hitting his body will fill the bucket up. Thanks for the critiques though.

Novabound

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the explanation : (. Because we couldn't figure it out. After about 3 minutes I was able to do it. Though, Game and Watch must always be facing away from the thunder for it to work for me. But it does fill it in one thunder.

Edit: I stand even moreso corrected. Doesn't matter where you're facing.

Top Bottom