• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Matchup Directory

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Luigi is going to be an even or slight disadvantage really soon, just a heads up. Gonna do some testing on the matchup when I get the chance. It's definitely not as bad as Peach, Meta Knight, or Marth, though, even if those aren't that bad either.

Jane

Smash Hero
Slowly but surely we are eliminating all of our bad matchups.

It feels good to say that knowing its true :)

Slowly but surely we are eliminating all of our bad matchups.

It feels good to say that knowing its true :)
That is the same way with many characters. I have seen so many match-ups become more even-ish over time. I think that is merely because people are getting used to the tricks each character has, it is surprising them less and less. Therefore, we are able to adapt to it and counter it more effectively than once before. Look at G&W, Rob, DK or DDD. All once much better than they are now. Give it a couple years more work and we will likely see all the tiers merge into each other. 1/3 of the characters tournament viable. That is my prediction.

And yeah, you really need a legend for that Dracona. I get the idea of dark green being most advantaged, to dark red being the least and blue being normal. But, how about words instead or simply added on into the color bars? I mean, colors are useful, but words are much easier to notice than colors. It's like this, "What did purple mean again? *check legend* oh yeah, slight disadvantage". It would be quicker with the words typed right in there along with the colors for each one. SInce each color is pretty solid, I do not imagine putting in "Advantage" "Neutral", etc. would take up that much of your time editing.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Why have you discussed Ness before MK?
1) That is from the previous set of matchup discussions.

2) We talk about MK enough; we don't need a discussion on him right now because we wouldn't have much to say. Plus Dabuz's writeup covers the basics, so there are other more pressing matters.

:lick:

Dnyce

Smash Master
worht noting that olimar is a 50 50 matchup with himself lol
You obviously don't know Olimar then. The Match-up is definitely 38.33:61.66 in Olimar's advantage

EDIT: Never add probabilities unless you're trolling someone who prolly doesn't know better ;3

-Vocal-

Smash Hero

You obviously don't know Olimar then. The Match-up is definitely 38.33:61.66 in Olimar's advantage

EDIT: Never add probabilities unless you're trolling someone who prolly doesn't know better ;3
The unreal numbers make me uneasy :(

edit: INVISITEXT! i love this stuff lol

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
So now that we're done with our "ROB Discussion" (which should probably be flagged with a disclaimer just in case someone reads it lol), I think we really need to get on starting that Falco discussion up.

SiidSadik

Smash Cadet
I think we really need to get on starting that Falco discussion up.

Falco is a pretty tough matchup. His lasers and reflector (provided the opponent can use them well) can both cripple the ability to approach effectively and throw pikmin from a distance. Also, he does far better in the air than olimar, and his spike is freakin deadly. One thing ive learned is to not go offstage against him, just calmly wait on the edge, because his phantasm is a predictable recovery that can be punished. He can typically be down throw'd twice in a row due to his fast falling at 0%, then follow that up with an usmash or combo of choice to rack up an early lead. However, he can also use his down throw about 3-4 times (depending on your DI skizzles) and get some damage up on you. And his bair is pretty fierce. Olimars whistle is not as good a strategy, as falcos attacks come out pretty fast, but if you predict them, punishment always tastes sweet.

So in summary:

Moves to watch out for:

dthrow, bair, dair, reflector, laser, fsmash (pretty good if it hits), usmash (same reason)

How to combat:

As with any unfavorable match-up, the easiest way to win is mindgaming. (something I have yet to master) Figure out your opponents bad habits or quirks and punish the hell out of them.

Sooooo yeah.

Tell me if ive said something incredibly stupid

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Falco is a pretty tough matchup. His lasers and reflector (provided the opponent can use them well) can both cripple the ability to approach effectively and throw pikmin from a distance. Also, he does far better in the air than olimar, and his spike is freakin deadly. One thing ive learned is to not go offstage against him, just calmly wait on the edge, because his phantasm is a predictable recovery that can be punished. He can typically be down throw'd twice in a row due to his fast falling at 0%, then follow that up with an usmash or combo of choice to rack up an early lead. However, he can also use his down throw about 3-4 times (depending on your DI skizzles) and get some damage up on you. And his bair is pretty fierce. Olimars whistle is not as good a strategy, as falcos attacks come out pretty fast, but if you predict them, punishment always tastes sweet.

So in summary:

Moves to watch out for:

dthrow, bair, dair, reflector, laser, fsmash (pretty good if it hits), usmash (same reason)

How to combat:

As with any unfavorable match-up, the easiest way to win is mindgaming. (something I have yet to master) Figure out your opponents bad habits or quirks and punish the hell out of them.

Sooooo yeah.

Tell me if ive said something incredibly stupid
It's fairly correct (I disagree with a couple parts), but we really need a discussion for some of the more in-depth aspects of the matchup. Hilt?

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
Falco's most annoying move by far in this match up is his jab. I just fought Kismet a couple of days ago, and whenever he jabbed me, I don't believe that I had any options. :/ There's not enough time to jump out. If you try to SDI and Fair, (<3 Brood) Falco can jab reset to stop you. I even tried to just SDI out and walk away, in which case I was promptly chased by a dash attack. :l I don't believe that whistle works either, but i'm not too sure about that.

Halp? :(

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Falco's most annoying move by far in this match up is his jab. I just fought Kismet a couple of days ago, and whenever he jabbed me, I don't believe that I had any options. :/ There's not enough time to jump out. If you try to SDI and Fair, (<3 Brood) Falco can jab reset to stop you. I even tried to just SDI out and walk away, in which case I was promptly chased by a dash attack. :l I don't believe that whistle works either, but i'm not too sure about that.

Halp? :(
We're all still trying to figure that one out :laugh: Rich can probably tell you better than anyone, which would be easy if we had a discussion thread....which we will eventually.

Oh, and Rich told us about that DI>Fair thing before Apex so Brood's not the only one with that trick ;)

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
How does marth do so well against olimar?
For me, it's because

A) Pikmin don't stick cuz that stupid sword knocks them off constantly

B) He outprioritizes us so we have to space and time VERY carefully

C) He's probably the best Oli gimper in the game (YES, even better than MK)

'Least those are the problems I have, I could be wrong though

oh yea, and he's a good juggler, makes it hard if we end up above him

Greward

Smash Lord
he fair into our shield and we cant punish it, that fair has massive priority hitbox and range which means its difficult to pivot grab (or sidestep fsmash)
he also is really good at gimping and juggling us
so in conclusion he has a range that compete ours and he has got more priority in those and gets some early kills by gimping. marth can easily make us to go near the edge and just pressure there until we make a mistake and then force us offstage what usually means a gimp. he pretty much outplays us. even though its not imposible because marth is really easy to juggle and we can rack up damage fast and we kill him fast (and his recover sucks too)

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
So yea. If you're a numbers guy think of it as 60-40 his advantage.

And Greward, we can't UsmashOoS his Fair on our shield? I haven't played a Marth really since learning it

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Not if they time it perfectly we can't. They have frame advantage and can hit us with a Dancing Blade before the hitbox on our usmash comes out.

Greward

Smash Lord
they can upB too but its riskier and only used as a mixup

i dunno about jab or grab, but i believe we can usmash oos before their hitbox appear. anyways Mr R sometimes did fair to grab lol its a nice mixup for marth if we stay shielding expecting a dancing blade.

65-35 marth imo just to note its more difficult than other olimar matchup which are disadvantage

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
So....Falco discussion mehbe? Idk if people are ready to contribute to a discussion right now, but I'd love to get it underway if possible before I go back to school, because I know my spare time is going to drop dramatically

wwwilliam0024

Smash Journeyman
Falco is hard actually, its just that you probably havent faught any good falcos.

I at first though falcos were gonna be a piece of cake (lol) with the great olimar, but hes actually a ****ing pain in the ***... if you would like me to start the Falco thread, i would gladly do so.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
If Falco's the next character everyone would like to discuss, that's fine. It's been awhile since we've had a matchup discussion going on, lately.

William, if you would like to start the Falco thread, that would be fine. You can or I can, it doesn't matter.

Noa.

Smash Master
If your name is Hilt or William and you read this post, make the Falco thread NOW. Like right this instant.

Top Bottom