• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OLD, CLOSED Zero Suit Samus Video Thread (2/2/10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
spin doctors

One, two downsmashes hit you
thats what I said now
smashes, smashes that just stun you
just get ****ed up now
one has mindgame potential
that's a read, there
this one is just to add some damage
then bair your head, there

dtilt, it has juggle potential
thats what I said now
got some uairs to follow up with
just get hit up now
you air approach, zero will upair you
how 'bout that now
you ground approach, the dsmash will just own you
deal with that now

dsmash one, dsmash two
im giving you the legs now, whachu gonna do?
i aint got no tops or that many pros
but ni~ickriddles's gonna go to show
ni~ickriddle's gonna go to shoooow

said if you, want to give her top spot
just go ahead now
and if you, think this is all we got
just go ahead now
and if you, want to money match me
just go ahead now
and if you, realise your defeat
just go ahead now

~~~

Oooooohh, Zero!
Oooohhh!
Ohhh, Zero Suit
Come on forget Meta and... play her!

Dakpo

Smash Lord
Diddy and falco are my most hated match ups (as they should be )
I almost beat a really good diddy player but fell apart on the last game. I really need to learn Picto better as well (my new CP against diddy)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H9Uj2fxNj8

I see that i should be more patient when he is on the edge
Critique please

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I don't have much to say, really, except that you and me seem to be at about the same skill level.

That diddy Kong player doesn't use bananas like at all though.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Dakpo I won't pretend to know that matchup, but I have a local Diddy who really likes side b just like Infinity does, it has enough startup time that you can uair or fair it depending on if it's grounded or from a shorthop, but it's a very good move that you should learn to watch out for better.

I really think if you don't know how to space when an opponent is on the ledge you should space at side b tip range. It's a scary thing for opponents in that position, because they know that fat punishment is waiting for them if they do any getup options. Because of that I find they're more likely to jump off the ledge, which is great for us, or even more often they'll SHAD onto the stage, which if you predict it can be an easy dsmash or dtilt if you didn't have time.

On a similar note i think you could work on your edgeguarding, Diddy struggles when he's off stage, don't just sit there charging dsmash because he can easily mix up the height that he side b's in at, which he was doing well against you. Get out there and fair or bair him, or if you seen an obvious side b coming shoot da laser. I liked how you paralyzered his side b when he tried to come in horizontal, it's better than side b in that situation IMO because it's a perfect gimp setup while side b let's them recover high again.

Other than that I feel like you just got boned by the stage. The part where you got wall ***** for not teching repeatedly, that's just something you have to be able to do if you want to CP the stage. I wouldn't pick it personally because it helps Diddy kill you (see last stock) which is one of the advantages we have over him.

shlike

Smash Ace
good **** pat. I've had few last hit games with gnes before but i've never won, but interesting enough the close matches were always on YI lol. Your zss is crazy good, you've gotten so much faster, and your punishes are all really solid. You've improved so much man, keep it up. Nick>Pat>everyone else

IMO

shlike

Smash Ace
Diddy and falco are my most hated match ups (as they should be )
I almost beat a really good diddy player but fell apart on the last game. I really need to learn Picto better as well (my new CP against diddy)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H9Uj2fxNj8

I see that i should be more patient when he is on the edge
Critique please
A lot of people underestimate diddy's fair, everyone get's hit by it, and I have no idea why some people pretend like diddy is just gonna airdodge into the ground. If your opponent likes to fair, shield then punish, or bait it then punish, full hop spaced fairs are not punishable, but shff fairs are, if your opponent sh ff's a fair you can punish with dsmash, do not try to utilt or shield grab fairs because diddy's hurtbox gets shorter because he is laying down and you will whiff them. Likewise you can dsmash a whiffed or shielded dsmash, and shield grab a shielded fsmash.

Dakpo if you think diddy is gonna side b you can pivot grab him out of it, or retreating bair iirc. If charged dsmashes arent working, then re condition your opponent with more obvious things like a uair chase or usmash chase if you're feeling a little more conservative and wait to see how your opponent reacts.

Less side b's more dashing around and resetting (ESPECIALLY IF HE DOESNT HAVE BANANAS...WHY ARE YOU SIDE B'ING?) Diddy's roll is also really far, and iirc shutterstep side b doesnt cover it, youre better off running away, or if youre feeling like a badass try dsmashing in the other direction and make diddy afraid to roll.

Idk it looked like infi's unorthodox diddy won because that was the first time you had played it, at least thats what it looked like.

either way good stuff beating his mk

Dakpo

Smash Lord
Thank you guys for the critique. That really sheds some more light onto the subject of my worse match up. (well that and falco)
I' also thinking of better ways to edge guard him.
Imagine if you crouched with your back turned to the edge at enough distance that diddy could not drop off the edge, jump, and then fair you. It would also give you enough time to shield if he get up attacks. Now here is the main point of this tactic. If you have your back turned to him and your crouching when diddy tries to Side B onto the edge, you can essentially crawl backwards under him and Dtilt him when he lands...Or its really easy to pivot grab in that starting position...thoughts?

Also, another thing that was throwing me off about his diddy is that he changed the height of his Side B to get over things like my down smash and pivot grabs. (before this set i did not realize that you can pick between two different heights in the attack)

xxpatgxx

Smash Journeyman
Thank you all for the encouraging words, they're like catalysts for my motivation. I posted this video in the Best Vids of Each Character thread. Can you guys vote on it for me?

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
You need to work on smoothing out your game. Some things I noticed:

-You gave up your suitpieces way too easily, if you're gonna throw a piece make sure you can follow up on it if there's a chance that it won't connect

-You don't seem to know the trajectory of your attacks, learn where they hit your opponent and at what percents and you'll get much better at creating high damage strings

-Make sure you can combo out of dsmash

-Be careful picking up the items. Dash attacking to pick up a piece that is right in front of your opponent is really really punishable (see :46), it's one thing all Zero Suits should look to punish against mediocre diddy players

-Make sure that after you land an aerial on shield you're ready to either followup with a ground attack or get away, you just aerialed then shielded sometimes which is a bad position for ZSS

Snakeee

Smash Master
A lot of people underestimate diddy's fair, everyone get's hit by it, and I have no idea why some people pretend like diddy is just gonna airdodge into the ground. If your opponent likes to fair, shield then punish, or bait it then punish, full hop spaced fairs are not punishable

If he is hitting you with an aerial while you are standing you should be able to powershield - up air out of shield if you're quick enough. If you're in the air, always try and get slightly underneath him for your up air to beat any of his aerials.

, but shff fairs are, if your opponent sh ff's a fair you can punish with dsmash,

WTF??? o_O That doesn't sound like it should even be close to working, but elaborate on that I'd be super happy if something like that worked somehow but...no there's absolutely no way stop getting my hopes up! lol Unless you meant like, it would pressure him as he lands but even that sounds wrong to be doing as your standard response in that spot and should be very punishable anyway.

Dakpo if you think diddy is gonna side b you can pivot grab him out of it, or retreating bair iirc.

Just up air. It's the answer for everything. ;)

Less side b's more dashing around and resetting (ESPECIALLY IF HE DOESNT HAVE BANANAS...WHY ARE YOU SIDE B'ING?)

Most of the few, random side B's I would use in this match up would be really only when he does NOT have naners. Throwing them out while he does have naners is equivalent to pulling down your pants, bending over, and saying "Please **** me!"

On Pat G's games, I have to say good stuff man. I remember Inui randomly texting me when you were winning and trying to make me feel I need to step it up or something stupid along those lines :glare:. I was just like, "uh whatever, if someone else is doing good things with my character, then that's just a good thing. It shows that ZSS still has potential, and also allows me to watch someone else and compare our games."

Who started all this bull about top players of the same character having to be like sworn enemies? lmao
Yeah, yeah I fell for it myself when Nick showed up, but I eventually realized how stupid it all was and that it's a good thing not a bad thing. It's amazing how stupid the ego can get if you don't keep it in check. :awesome:

The more competent ZSS players we have, the better, clearly. The problem with progressing an underused character is obviously that we have so little to work with and so few people to look at. A character's "metagame" is usually developed by quite a few players, whom watch each other here and there and pick up things they see as new and useful (and avoid the things that seem to have bad results too). Until recently, I was going completely solo really. Yeah, there was Dazwa and a couple of other players that I could have (and should have) payed attention to, but I stupidly didn't realize the importance of this yet.

P.S.
I put "metagame" in quotes because the term is used completely differently here than in other things like poker. In poker, metagame refers to specifically to the psychological battle between (two) players, so the same as saying "mind games" here, basically.

P.P.S.
Wow, I did not mean to type all this stuff. ADD sucks :urg:

Dakpo

Smash Lord
Thanks snakeee, Can't wait to test my might against another diddy player with this knowledge. And I'm just learned about the whole Up air out of shield thing about a month ago, so I'm trying really hard to incorperate it into my play style. (it does wonders against Marth <3) BUT I KEEP UP SMASHING!!!! lol....sometimes it gets me *****

shlike

Smash Ace
if you powershield diddy's landing fair or a sh ff fair, you can punish it with a dsmash. It has to be fast falled though. You can also punish it with side b, dash attack dtilt, (basically anything with a low hitbox) utilt and grab will miss >.<

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
^ That is a lot more likely than you think Snakeee. He's talking about Diddy having his FULL landing lag from Fair. Which is really hefty. It might be tight/have to be a ps to work but still it should work.

shlike

Smash Ace
OThe more competent ZSS players we have, the better, clearly. The problem with progressing an underused character is obviously that we have so little to work with and so few people to look at. A character's "metagame" is usually developed by quite a few players, whom watch each other here and there and pick up things they see as new and useful (and avoid the things that seem to have bad results too). Until recently, I was going completely solo really. Yeah, there was Dazwa and a couple of other players that I could have (and should have) payed attention to, but I stupidly didn't realize the importance of this yet.

P.S.
I put "metagame" in quotes because the term is used completely differently here than in other things like poker. In poker, metagame refers to specifically to the psychological battle between (two) players, so the same as saying "mind games" here, basically.

P.P.S.
Yeah I take a little bit from some players , nick, pat, you, dakpo etc. But what i notice is a central progression between zss mains, Like I start implenting something into my playstyle and I notice other zss's doing it even though we havent seen each other play. It's nice to know that i'm doing something right. I still think there's a lot of unexplored territory with zss and the only place to go is up. I'm glad that i main zss :3

xxpatgxx

Smash Journeyman
On Pat G's games, I have to say good stuff man. I remember Inui randomly texting me when you were winning and trying to make me feel I need to step it up or something stupid along those lines :glare:. I was just like, "uh whatever, if someone else is doing good things with my character, then that's just a good thing. It shows that ZSS still has potential, and also allows me to watch someone else and compare our games."

Who started all this bull about top players of the same character having to be like sworn enemies? lmao
Yeah, yeah I fell for it myself when Nick showed up, but I eventually realized how stupid it all was and that it's a good thing not a bad thing. It's amazing how stupid the ego can get if you don't keep it in check. :awesome:

The more competent ZSS players we have, the better, clearly. The problem with progressing an underused character is obviously that we have so little to work with and so few people to look at. A character's "metagame" is usually developed by quite a few players, whom watch each other here and there and pick up things they see as new and useful (and avoid the things that seem to have bad results too). Until recently, I was going completely solo really. Yeah, there was Dazwa and a couple of other players that I could have (and should have) payed attention to, but I stupidly didn't realize the importance of this yet.

P.S.

P.P.S.

I agree the ego can be a dangerous thing to carry around. It also prevents you from progressing as a player and growing personally. Thanks for the kind words Snakeee.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Shlike - *Thumbs up* Good approach and thx for the positive response :D

I agree the ego can be a dangerous thing to carry around. It also prevents you from progressing as a player and growing personally. Thanks for the kind words Snakeee.
No problem, but I was just rambling as usual lol. The ego can be very useful if you don't let it rule over the rest of your being imo. It's a tricky subject, but if you can have a very strong ego, and use it unselfishly, you can probably do great things imo :).

Dakpo

Smash Lord
We all have to get better as a Zss community and stop letting nick carry the character to High Tier alone!!!
Also, any recentish videos of a good zss vs a good snake?

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
We all have to get better as a Zss community and stop letting nick carry the character to High Tier alone!!!
Also, any recentish videos of a good zss vs a good snake?
I'll get vids vs. MVD this weekend. :-D
I'll probably lose though. :(

SASSY

Smash Journeyman
I should be gettin some vids vs takeover this weekend. Must review after. Gotta be ready for pound.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink

shlike

Smash Ace
matches from a tourney this past weekend

kilik vs shlike:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViBk0KXFqYA
set against a local sheik player. He's pretty good and womped me a good while. I need help in this mu so please critique. Also i know zss can down b out of ftilt. Idk why i was failing so hard lol.

derk vs shlike:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIAWwQy8cow
set against a local gdubs player, I play him almost every tourney lol

shlike vs illmatic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHAQKSZAZ3Y

REALLY great set. Watch match 2 the sexiest stock ko ever and please critique. I dont have any peach xp but i already know not to side b as much. Any other critique would help immensely

<3

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Against kilik:
When you were forcing him to up b onto the right side of frigate, take the guaranteed punish IMO and keep tossing him back out there by waiting to see where he goes, you missed way too many times trying to dsmash him

I love the aggressive mixup playstyle myself but from watching Nick one of the things I've realized is that sometimes it's better to hold on to your small advantage than swing for the fences if the chance of success is low and risk is high. Case in point, you trying to down b at him on his last stock on frigate, huge risk if he tosses you off there and low chance of success

loved the use of down b to edge guard, I've been doing this as well. I don't think people realize how **** it is as an edgeguard tool, the hitbox is so huge that you will almost always clank, certain recovery trajectories just can't do anything against this move lol

If you really want to improve in this matchup, my thought is that it seems like Sheik has a lot of options that aren't safe on shield but you won't punish them if they mixup how they use them. If you learn the frame data and figure out punishes i think that'd be the best bang for your buck in this matchup. Just watch the first game and look out for where you missed punishments when he hit your shield and think about what you could have hit with.

Against Illmatic:

The difference between barely losing the first game and taking the 2 stock the second game was that your edgeguards were more on point. In every matchup your focus should be on getting your opponent offstage or above you, and you really took advantage of both in this set, especially in the second game.

In the third game, the difference between you winning and losing was again that you overshoot your juggles. This goes along with what I was saying about holding on to your slight advantage; be under peach and she WILL flinch. Attack her from the side when juggling or wait out the dairs. Don't immediately use your double jump except as a mixup if you had been waiting mostly before. Once you double jump, you either A. Hit her and have to get back down to the ground to continue B. whiffed because you overshot it as she airdodged, now you've reversed positions C. Overshot your jump into her aerial.

I also think you miss too many attacks. You don't always have to be doing something, look to where you can punish lag on Peach's walls or where you can outrange her instead of trying to beat her with shields or direct attacks. To stay safe most characters have to space to whiff an attack, so that if you run in they will still tip their aerials. Knowing this you can punish whatever they haven't covered.

Hope that helps, love your ZS cause it reminds me of mine, and everything I said above are things I've been trying to work on myself :)

Edit: I want to know how the down b cancel at 7:25 of the Illmatic game works, any ideas?

Dakpo

Smash Lord
OK mink im going to crit your first video. Now before i start i would like to say your zss isnt bad or anything, and you shouldnt take any critique in a negative way. just trying to help you improve your game ;)

Now when i watched this set all the way through, I was really shocked at not how many of your mistakes but at how many mistakes your opponent made. This shows me that the diddy player is not that experienced (or maybe just doesnt know the match up). I also noticed that your banana control is below par. Ill explain some basic banana game during the critique. Also, go learn the infinite. It does wonders for this match up

Start of the match: Throwing all the armor pieces off but one is the best or second best option you can do at the start! Its that or throwing them off, so good job so far. Now if the diddy had not failed to catch his own banana (lolol) at the start of match, maybe he could have put a second banana out.
You z dropped it from super high. This is kinda a weak option. You lose all ability to punish a mistake with the piece and just hope your opponent runs into it. Then after this you come down to side B at SUPER CLOSE range. If you pause the video where you started the Side B, I'm sure you will notice how close your are to diddy and how he already his shield up. Then the diddy player completely fails at punishing you and grabs the wrong way. heh you get pretty lucky there. Then you throw out a pivot grab instead of punishing that free 30+ percent of damage you could have gotten.

I want you to try something the next time you play someone. Its called the 2008 Maneuver . This is a super deadly technique that involves sending your opponent slightly into the air with down tilt or up tilt (like you did with up tilt) and down smashing them when they try to air dodge into the ground. MANY MANY MANY people will fall for this.

Anyways, back to the match. So you miss the grab right? The diddy player goes to pick up a banana, and fails again (lololol). So you go unpunished again.

0:20 he is just begging for some 2008 Maneuver

0:25 so you pick up another banana and z drop it. Unlike the armor piece, this is a decent option with a banana, but it could still be used to punish harder. First lesson in banana game: Im sure you know, but you can throw banana out of your shield with A. This means you can punish anything from dash attack to side B with your banana throw out of shield. (also note that this works in reverse fashion). If you punish like this, you can get a free Down smash combo after the banana slip :D

0:26 nice roll punish!!!

0:36 I'm surprised that the diddy didn't punish your bair with the banana out of shield.

0:42 Ok THIS IS A GREAT SPOT FOR YOU!!! obviously this diddy player doesnt know the banana trade game very well either. So next time you guys play you really need to show him whats up!!! Second banana game rule: also the most basic rule of the banana game. When both players have a banana in your hand is that you NEVER THROW IT FIRST. If you would stayed on the ground and wait for him to throw the banana on your shield and then glide tossed it at him, it would have been a guaranteed down smash combo setup. (or even better, the banana infinite)

General notes at this time - Be wary of how close you are using side B. If the diddy would actually power shield anything he could literally have turned the whole stock around from the start. Also never side B when diddy has a banana.

1:02 Lesson 3 of the banana game: When diddys come back after being killed, stay on the left side of them. The general idea is that they immediately pull a banana out after being killed. So it will always pop out on the left. Just snatch it up and do whatever with it.

1:05 You Down B to prevent yourself from landing on the banana. This puts you in an awful position, and the diddy doesnt fail to screw up the punish lol. Lesson 4 of the banana game: if you going to land on an enemy owned banana, simply air dodge fast fall onto it. If done right you can simply pick it up as you land.

1:09 You were asking for that lol. When an opponent is running at you, that can be one of the best times to grab. And thats only my opinion, but as your can see through out matches against any zss many people like to approach with shield.

1:10 Lesson 4

1:18 2008 Maneuver
1:22 2008 Maneuver
2:25 2008 Maneuver

1:27 heh well i guess you already know lesson 4 then. I hope to see that more later in the match, lol anything than using you down B to avoid it after you used the second jump.

1:43 If you would have thrown the banana down after his dash attack instead of jumping, you would have gotten a free down smash combo. The timing is tough, but hey the punish is tougher :)

1:48 people catch on real quick to the down B kick back onto the stage. Might want to explore some different recoveries when your at such a high percent.

1:52 refer to what i said at 0:45. This is a perfect example of where you missed out on a lot of damage.

2:31 Him shooting that third peanut was a really bad judgment/spacing call for him and landing the down B kick encourages you to do it again. Which get you killed later.

2:38 got you killed lol

3:12 throw your banana of the side and refer to what i said at 1:02

3:15 refer to what i said at 0:42

3:28 dont kick back onto stage XD its soo tempting but you get punished way more than its worth

3;42 dont side b so close. THIS TIME he actually punished lol.

3:48 refer to 1:05

3:54 i dont know why he rolled back when you did side B. He had a banana and time to shield, that honestly should have been your stock. Remember not to side B when diddy has a banana.

4:01 lol just down tilt him. why did you roll into diddy?

4:10 i dont know what made you scared enough to roll back, but you had a naner and he didnt. You had the power, dont be scared L:

4:40-4:55 you just left your self open a lot and z droped the bananas (i still kinda see that as a weaker option)

4:59 Like i said at 3:54 dont side B when he has a naner. You got lucky he didnt shield lol

5:39 you could have punished the down smash with banana on the ground, instead of jumping

5:45 another z drop punish

and to finish the game another Down B kick punish.

Well now you see why i cant review your whole set. (soooo long)
But you do have habits you really need to break such as (down B kick)
and you can punish a lot harder. It seemed to me like you had a few consistent mistakes that kept poking up in the match. So review that and i hope to see some awesome new zss when you post next. :) good luck

EDIT: holy crap, longest post ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom