• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Texas Power Rankings! - Updated June 15, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
Zac I'm guessing Gunman is in D tier instead of E because his wins are better from hobo 26?
That's pretty legit if its true. This pr is good

Player-4

See you in 25 years
(RT post)

I agree with the revolt. I mean, E-tier and F-tier far outnumber the top tiers. It make take 100 of us to take out one of them, but gosh darnit, we'll win through attrition!

On a serious note, if you're worried about someone premiering too high on the PR, just MOLEST them in tourney and lower their rank. It gives ranked people an incentive to actually care about who they are playing.

Gunman must have defeated quite a few people above him to get that many points, which is the *readies for pun* POINT *rimshot* of the PR.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
ELO is the same system they use in international Chess rankings.

Questions for Zac:

1 - How are you determining the K Value of the events? Again I'll reference Magic - they determined K value by the level of Judge and the number of people at the event.

2 - Is this every tournament? I'm thinking about having small weeklies/biweeklies at my apartment here in the upcoming month or so and it will suck for out of town people if that counts towards the rankings, but it will also suck for local people if someone beats a high ranked local player if it doesn't count.

3 - How do out of state tournaments count? What sort of value do those tournaments hold versus the in-state tournaments?

Gnes

Smash Master
Congrats to my houston peeps, everyone's hard work is paying off.(well mostly everyones).

What i want to know is, why do u know me and dojo's exact set count tyson lol(thats actually wrong, probably a bit worse but i might have like one more win cuz of mk-less hobo)

Trela will be top 3/2 soon if he keeps up the hard work, promise u that. I've never seen someone rapidly improve so much. Congrats dude. Now its time to surpass that *** right above u.
And jerm is no longer D tier, dphat got no where to run lol

Dojo

Smash Champion
What i want to know is, why do u know me and dojo's exact set count tyson lol(thats actually wrong, probably a bit worse but i might have like one more win cuz of mk-less hobo)
I brag about that **** all the time.

For instance:

*marks tally*
Dojo: **** 12-0. Alright until next month.

;)

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
Lol, me and JUJ for **** tier. Dang and somehow the rest of SA is ahead of me when I've beaten some of them in MM or tourney.

Trela

Smash Lord
I was so pissed when I wasn't on the old PR. I didn't, you know, LIKE that at all. Not one bit.

I've still got much more planned to do now that I'm actually Top 10.....

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
UTD ZAC!

On the tx tier list there are some issues.

1. Go to tysons name. edit it and add a "2" after the word "ness".
2. Go to ALSM name. edit it and add a "2" after the word "link"
3. Vorgy/Duffman/Burrito are not on the tier list. Maybe we missed them while fixing the list.

-Ran

Smash Master
How you can become a rising star:
Imagine for a moment that Sakurai has come to the states, and has decided that he is fed up with the horrible amount of 'Meta Knights.' Determined to show the world that power that is Ganon, Sakurai enters the next Hobo, which happens to have the best players in the state attending. Little did we know that Sakurai had been holding back techniques that only worked with Ganon. Being a bottom seed, since everyone hates him, Xyro insured that the bracket would be as hard as possible for Sakurai for the lawls. During the entirity of the tournament, Sakurai didn't drop a single match. He defeated Gnes, Dojo, Razer, Dphat, and Trela.

He goes from the starting 1600 Elo to 1731 in a single tournament, which places him under Trela on the tier list. Elo is a system that is quick to rise people that prove themselves with wins against skilled opponents, and Sakurai is eager to prove that he is, in fact the best there ever was. So he shows up to the next tournament, and performs at the same level as before. His Elo goes from 1731 to 1841.911. Now, this isn't counting the points that the others have been LOSING to him because he is winning. For example, the first match he'd have against Gnes at 1600 Elo would drop Gnes down 30 points.

By the end of two tournaments, Sakurai would be dangerously close to being the best player in Texas. Elo, due to its nature, requires that you perform at consistent levels if you want to overtake players that have also been consistently great, but it can be done in a few tournaments if you display dominance.

Hyro

Smash Lord
wow yall got soft. I turn off jersey shore and come here for some REAL drama every PR update

way to let me down i hope yall get cancelled

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Reasons Your Rating is Wrong

(1) Your rating fluctuates a lot. (uses Magic the Gathering lingo)

Look at your rating over the course of the last year. Has it gone up and down a lot? If it has been steadily going in one direction, it probably means that your rating still hasn't caught up to your current level of skill. However, if it jumps up and down a lot, then your rating probably isn't a very good indicator of skill. Good players can do horribly in tournaments and bad players can win them. This will cause ratings to fluctuate. In higher K-value events, this phenomenon is even more pronounced. For example, I rarely play limited games, and my rating sat at 1625 for 1 whole year while I did not play a single limited match. Later, I played in a 16K tournament, and went 4-0 against 1900 rated players. So my rating went up about 50 points in a single day. Is it because I am really good and should be rated much higher? No - swings this large do not well represent my actual play still. In this case I happened to play against the 4 highly rated players at the tournament, while the rest of the players had similarly poor ratings as my own. Through their drafting mistakes, I somehow wound up with a ridiculous deck they crushed my more-talented opposition.

(2) The average skill of the players in your area can dramatically affect your rating. (uses Magic the Gathering lingo)

Consider the extreme example where all the players at your local tournaments have a 1600 rating, because they have just started playing live tournament magic. However, they are good at the game from playing Wifi, so their play skill is typical of an 1800 player. After this group of players has played against each other for a few dozen tournaments, their ratings would all still be at 1600, despite their skill level. Remember, your rating actually represents your win expectation relative to those around you, not necessarily to the entire magic community.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I absolutely love the new rankings system. Major props to Zac for creating the system, and if I'm remembering properly, Ozz and Ran pitched in as well.

Leave it to Texas to be a trend setter!

Now I just need to go to tournaments again and get out of F tier, haha.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
Like the system a lot...but I really need to step it up. I know of a couple people on there that are higher than me only there because they have only been to 1 tournament...
But I'm just going to get out of it anyways.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I wish I had this many people that filled pot in my region. Also, big ups to espy for being high tier with a mid tier. (hes not low so stfu.)

also, I approve of updates after every tourney but I dont approve as much of the system. It seems to come out accurate tho, so its w/e.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
I'm aiming for top ten. I'm glad sitting at 18th after only two tournaments though.
I need alot more experience against certain players to achieve the goal.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I should be A Tier, but I know it's only cause I haven't been attending much recently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom