• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Texas Power Rankings! - Updated June 15, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
ROFL.

Its clear, people cant handle a ACCURATE tx pr.

Zac, u said once u get up the basic tier list you would abolish the biased panel.The basic list is up....plz keep your word.

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
i think andy's method is accurate. what you're basically saying if you dont assign numbers is that everybody on that list is equal...in every single way.

Xyro77

When me/ozz/ran created this idea and gave it to zac(cause hes a Smod/admin) he changed it ALOT(though i wouldnt say its BAD changes). Originally, we wanted a tier list(like we have now) but within each tier there ARE numbers. So Razer is number 1 seed in A tier but number 2 seed in the grand scheme of things. Gnes is 2nd seed in A tier but 3rd in the grand scheme......and it continues on like that. That is how it should be.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
@Allan, hold your pants bud. NONE of the OP is updated, if you haven't noticed. Just wait. I'll get to it eventually with the other million things I do =P

@Dphat: You mean like this?

B-Tier Top B-Tier
DPhat
D4BA
Sethlon

B-Tier Bottom C-Tier
Roy_R
UTDZac
DMG

C-Tier Top D-Tier
Ozz
Trela

C-Tier Bottom E-Tier
Fogo
Espy
Dao

D-Tier Top F-Tier
Fliphop
Van Jones
Jerm

D-Tier Bottom G-Tier
K prime
FK
Shlike
Melee1

The point of tier's is to divide groups between skill gaps. Having a large tier and ordering players in that tier accordingly defeats this goal.

Also, please explain the benefits of using "set # of players per tier"? Keep in mind that this PR Tier list is NOT used to seed players at a tournament. It is used to help seed players at a tournament. The TO makes all the decisions about how to seed his bracket, remember... he has the final word on who he thinks is better. The PR Tier List is merely there to help him make decisions.

The main goal of the tier structured PR list is NOT to help Texas TOs seed Texas tournaments, but rather to be used for Out-Of-State tourneys/players. I think Xyro and I have a great understanding of who the best players are and who typically beats who. We tend to seed our tournaments with good accuracy (even without looking at a list) because we've been to all of them and are the ones that post results.

But let's think from another TO's point of view: if a bunch of players from TX went to No Koast, how would the TO there seed us with all of the Kansas/OK/Missouri players? The exact ordering of players from TX does not matter that much, since we are in foreign area. What matters is general skill divide and bracket placement such that we don't player each other round 1/2.

@Xyro's most recent post: Then what's the point of tiers if they are ordered? Just remove the tier headers and you will have a normal ranked PR list... that includes everyone. I don't get it =/

Gnes

Smash Master
Yeah...i dont get it either....

If thats the case, its just like dphat said and ur making a Tier/Pr list with over 50 people. That is not a good idea.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
It shouldn't matter about the amount of people in a tier....they are in order right? Thats obvious how the seeding will go. There could be a million people in F tier or something, but the TO is only going to look at the top 8 in order. If you want you can even high lite S, A, and B tier to show those are the top players if you think no one cares about the rest. I know you're giving feed back dphat, but a lot of the lower players like this from what I've seen. It seems like its working and this is new so give it time.

Edit: Just read Zac's post. I'm confused lol.

DallasPhat

Smash Master
Planking Gnes While He Watches Invincible Youth
No so like my example would be
S-Tier DOJO
A-Tier: Top-Razer, Gnes, Bottom-Dphat
B-Tier: Top-Dmg, D4bag, Sethlon, Bottom-UtdZac
Basically just label who's the top of each tier and who's the worst of each tier.

But by setting a specific number it gives people a goal. Let say S-tier can only allow 1, then A-tier can only allow 3, and B-tier can only all 4, and C-tier can only allow 8 etc etc, it gives people smaller and more manageable goals to achieve while helping TOs decide seeding.

Basically I choose these numbers cause S+A determine top 4 seed, then you add 4 more from B-tier which would determine 5-8, then add 8 from b-tier to help determine 9-16. Etc etc.

Dojo

Smash Champion
The only people you should lose to are me razer and gnes anyways. Even if you have to play one early you'll still make it to the top. Stop *****ing about seeding.

*Tyson*

Smash Ace
Seriously Dphat, it is not THAT big of a deal. Just chill out and play the game. Who cares if you are the 4th seed that you want sooooooooo badly ( i fail to see why ) when you have always done just fine.

Besides this whole thing barely even surfaced yesterday. Relax and give it a chance.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
No so like my example would be
S-Tier DOJO
A-Tier: Top-Razer, Gnes, Bottom-Dphat
B-Tier: Top-Dmg, D4bag, Sethlon, Bottom-UtdZac
Basically just label who's the top of each tier and who's the worst of each tier.

But by setting a specific number it gives people a goal. Let say S-tier can only allow 1, then A-tier can only allow 3, and B-tier can only all 4, and C-tier can only allow 8 etc etc, it gives people smaller and more manageable goals to achieve while helping TOs decide seeding.

Basically I choose these numbers cause S+A determine top 4 seed, then you add 4 more from B-tier which would determine 5-8, then add 8 from b-tier to help determine 9-16. Etc etc.
but what happens when theres 4 people who belong in A tier?

Better yet look at razer and dojo, decided between 1st and 2nd seed in the last PR came down to the last match at whobo between them which was game 3 last hit. Razer is nearly good enough to be S tier and when he finally reaches that does that mean dojo would become A?

I really like this (cause it gives el paso a chance now XD), if everyone in the nation used this then it would make seeding nationals so easy.

SS - m2k,ally
S- dojo ADHD tyrant dehf
A- atomsk lee gness dsf mikehaze ksizzle shadow lain esam havok tearbear razer

I certainly would like to see it used in one of those. Isn't that what the main point is for when there a lot of other states at one tournament?

edit: i'm really looking forward to when razer is in S tier with dojo

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
It is impossible to create a Tier based PR list AND cap off tiers at certain numbers

Scenario 1
M2K, Ally, ADHD, Tyrant, Dojo all live in TX.
S Tier = M2K? Ally? Both? No wait we can only have 1
A Tier = ADHD, Tyrant, Dojo? but wait thats top 5... we need top 4

Scenario 2
Player A, B, C, D, E are all of equal skill level. B tier can only have 4 people in it, now what?
S Tier
Dojo - 10

A Tier
Gnes - 9
Razer - 9
Dphat - 9

B Tier
Player A - 7
Player C - 7
Player D - 7
Player E - 7

C Tier
Player B - 6
SomeOtherGuy - 3
SomeOtherOtherGuy - 3
SomeOtherGuysMom - 3

Tiers divide players on SKILL GAP. They do not order players. A Tier = lots of skill (9). B Tier = good skill (6-7). C Tier = Poor skill (3)

Secondly, gaps do NOT help with seeding. I posted all of the most recent touranments. Tell me, how many of them had even seeds amongst S-C tiers? None of them fit evenly with Top4/Top8/top16 or w/e. It's not that important to have this Tier PR list spaced out evenly.

Xyro77

Dphat, relax. This new system REALLY does work and u wont be gimped out of your proper spot. NO ONE will.

DallasPhat

Smash Master
How do you recognize high skill to regular skill? Tournament Placing?? Numbers?? WTF!!! In the end it's people giving their biased opinion on whos skill level is equal to who... sounds alot like a regular PR but without no tournament placing evidence. Anyways inactivity should be punished. If I'm gone for a year I don't expect everyone to rewind time and give me back 4th seed.

ruin`

Smash Journeyman
Oh boy, back to Hylian, melee1 and TreX being top 3 again.

edit: Oh wait, how could I forget...RoyR

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Dphat, let me put it simple:

If you think you belong higher on the list, then wait a few tournaments and see what happens. Remember, this is a rough draft. Once we do a few tournaments, my little program will move people around in tiers accurately. If you are as good as you say you are, you will go up to A tier. But as it stands, the list shows a big gap between Razer + Gnes and You.

ruin`

Smash Journeyman
I played 1,000,000 friendlies with dphat. I didn't win a single one. Thus, PROVING that there's a HUGE skill gap between me and Dphat.

P.S: I've NEVER won a set vs dphat in the past few tournaments. HUUUUGE GAP!

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
How about a new list

1.DPhat
2.DPhat
3.DPhat
4.DPhat
5.DPhat
6.DPhat
7.DPhat
8.DPhat
9.DPhat
10.DPhat

This will ensure that DPhat gets his 4th seed every tournament

Okay unfunny but we should all just chill and see how it goes for a few weeks starting with hobo and phase 10 and jujment day

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Please keep things on a serious note. Feedback is still welcome on this new idea of a Tiered PR List. As soon as I think we've hit on most of the other ideas about this, I'm going to update the OP with an official list.

Xyro77

Quoted for seriousness!
1: Ally - ?
2: M2K - ?
3: Dojo - S
4: Atomsk - ?
5: UlimateRazer - A
5: Gnes - A
7: Lee Martin - ?
7: Fliphop - D
9: RoyR - B
9: Ozz - C
9: DMG - B
9: Trela - C
13: Dao - C
13: Espy - C
13: Van Jones - D
13: Dphat - B

WHOBO 2 doesnt lie

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
@ Dphat, I guess you just ignored this post then?

At any rate, player's placement on the PR list will NOT be discussion anymore. That type of discussion does not help me in fleshing out this Tier list idea. Please refrain from posting about tier placements, etc, or else. Not being on the list is entirely different.

Xyro77

1. ADHD
2. Razer
3. Gnes
4. Dojo
5: Fliphop
5: Hylian
7: Roy R
7: Trela
9: Zac
9: Bassem
9: Espy
9: Dphat

HOBO 21 doesnt lie

ruin`

Smash Journeyman
Please keep things on a serious note. Feedback is still welcome on this new idea of a Tiered PR List. As soon as I think we've hit on most of the other ideas about this, I'm going to update the OP with an official list.
I swear if this new Tiered PR List messes up my next bracket at the upcoming events I'm gonna....forfeit first round and beat people in losers bracket so they can't climb into higher SKILL GAPS!

DallasPhat

Smash Master
Btw look at who I lost to at each tournament Allan, you're so stupid.
OMG I lost to Dojo and ADHD back to back at Hobo21. **** guess I suck.
And at whobo I lost to m2k in winners, guess I'm utter garbage man. Just remove me from the tier list please cause it's not going to be accurate at all. I'd rather be on LA tier list then this garbage.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
Jeez. DPhat. Stop *****ing.
It's here.
If you are so much better than the people who are currently on your level, then PROVE IT. Quit whining about it.
It's what I plan on doing, I know I am better than G Teir. I just haven't proved it. You think I would be throwing this big of a fit because of my placing.
Chill.
And lock.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Going to open this up again.

Be nice.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Thanks Hylian. For those of you who are wondering what the status is, here's an update. I've got tons of files I'm running my little program to accurately create a ranking list for all TX players. After the Phase tourney this weekend, I'm going to add some final touches the post up the list. Please bear with me while I process everything ><

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom