• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Texas Power Rankings! - Updated June 15, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
But humor me, how do we keep the same numbers if we're squished into one list?
Normally u people think "oh god heres xyro complaining again" but as always, i do it for a REASON. Not to get me on the list(i dont do singles almost at all anymore) but to get people/tx represented correctly and FAIRLY. Ran talks about his PR like only top 3 matter and the rest are just.....there. TX as a whole is kinda staying all to itself and this is why hobo/phase dont grow. This is why el paso/rgv only show up every once in a while. This is why NONE of us travel to La and get better(or get them better). Whats wrong with changing all of that if it makes turnout better and players stronger?

As for the tx pr not changing when we combine. Id say u need to talk to zac about that but from what i understand this is kinda how you can kinda view it.

S tier= DOJO

A tier=Razer(borderline S tier), Gnes, Lee

B tier= Royr/Dphat/D4ba.....for example

This list is based more off of skill/common sense and less of numbers/results(which alienate players).

PS: curlz, you are last on the LA pr. You wont be last on this new list.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
So uh, when I move I put zac in charge of everything southwest related as far as PR goes and all that. He does everything anyways XD. I'll also be removing myself from the panel because I won't be here attending tournaments.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Ah, so the new thing will be a tier list, like our melée pr. I like it.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Allan I dont understand why you stir up trouble before I get a chance to post anything. Guy's I'm working on the writing up how it will work. I'm going to share it first with the current Panel then post it here.

Until then :smash:

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Current PR:
  • Static
  • Takes 3+ months to get a new list
  • Requires a panel
  • Rank based: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc

New PR:
  • Dynamic
  • Updates after each tourney or two
  • No panel required (I'll still update the thread)
  • Group based: S-tier, A-tier, B-tier, etc

Reason why old PR is a problem:
Tournaments that are held half-way through PR iterations have bad/inaccurate lists for seeding players in that tournament. They are outdated, sometimes, especially if an old player was previously removed and started coming to tourneys middle season. The idea is to have the players sectioned off into "Tiers" or groups. We then initially rank players by putting them into the groups. We use these groups to get a better idea at seeding all players for any given tournament. The effect this new PR allows is that multiple states can combine PRs at any given tournament to help better seed ALL players. The PR list is exhaustive.

Step 1 - Split Into Groups

Create a rough draft list of everybody in the state. Now place each of those players into categories based on relative skill. Basically we just use our current PR and make some minor changes.

Step 2 - Use Groups For Seeding

Use the groups to seed players at all tournaments. The TO still has full control over how to seed his/her tournament. One method is to randomly seed by tier: ie Dojo, being the only member of S-Tier is 1st seed. Razer and Gnes being the members of A-Tier get randomized for 2nd and 3rd. The 6 members of B-Tier are randomize for 4th-9th seed, and so on.

One major benefit of having players ranked by groups is that we can combine them with other states to help with seeding multi-state tournaments. Since the groups are split based on national standings we can more easily compare players from one state with another. For example, we can temporarily combine our groups with Louisiana's groups. Lee would go in A-Tier, Hyro in B-Tier, and so on. This helps relieve the problem many TOs run into when several individuals come to their tournaments from out-of-state and the TO has no idea who half those players are. Remember, the groups are exhaustive (includes all players in state, regardless of rank).

Step 3 - Update Groups With Results

After each tournament we can update the groups of players to reflect their recent performance. This update doesn't require a panel of people to oversee. There will be an automatic ranking system to determine if a player meets the requirements to move up a tier, or if they failed to meet requirements to remain in a tier and therefore lowered a tier. Assume for now that such a system exists and works with good accuracy.

Oh and for those of you wondering how exactly you go up in tier, well can't explain all of it... but basically it's beating people in tournament who are ranked in a higher tier than you. Going down in tier is due to inactivity (long periods) and losing repeatedly to lower tiered players.

Also, players are never removed from the list. This ensures that the list can remain accurate and useful even when a good player leaves for some number of months and returns still strong.

Rough Draft List

Tiers are based at a National level. Order does NOT matter. This is a rough draft, I plan on going through the past 5 months of tourney files, running my program on it, and moving a few people up/down a tier as seen fit by tourney performance.

S-Tier
Dojo

A-Tier
UltimateRazer
Gnes

B-Tier
DPhat
Roy_R
D4BA
Sethlon
UTDZac
DMG

C-Tier
Trela
Ozz
Espy
Dao
Fogo

D-Tier
K prime
Jerm
FK
Van Jones
Fliphop
Shlike
Melee1

E-Tier
Esca
Magik
FuriousDuffman
ArturitoBurrito
Denti
Ice
Vorguen
Xyro
Broly
Bwett

F-Tier
Take
Morningstar
PJ
Bored
PhoenixAlpha
Rockettrainer
KuroZero
Carnage
Smoom
Zigsta
Tyson
Slaps
Chuky
Teh Brettster
ALSM

G-Tier
Foursaken
Cake
P4
Furbs
Greyfox
Tallman
Nike
Pyledriver
Viperdev
JUJ
Tree
Kovu
Khaoz
Echo
Crossjeremiah
Mumble
Problemo
Leaf
JoWii
Chic
Riot
KRD
tofer_booboo

* If you notice your name is not on the list and you are a competitive player in Texas then simply shoot me a PM.

** Remember this is a rough draft list. Your exact placement in a tier is not important. After a few tournaments the tiers will get updated; if you performed well enough you'll go up a tier.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
Blaine is from LA, you forgot to take him out cause I made the list initially and included LA players.

Other than that, this is seriously too good.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I would nitpick to see if you forgot anyone, but I don't think you did, lol...

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Yes absolutely. All tournaments that involve these players count. Just send me tio files and I'll run my little program on them to update results.

Oh and for those of you wondering how exactly you go up in tier, well can't explain all of it... but basically it's beating people in tournament who are ranked in a higher tier than you. Going down in tier is due to inactivity (long periods) and losing repeatedly to lower tiered players.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
I don't know whether to be happy about my being a part of it or sad about being so low...
Who am I kidding, I'm a part of it. I can always just main MK get better.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Remember, this rough draft is a ROUGH draft. Some people will raise once Zac is finished with all the HOBO/Phase tio files from 2010. If anybody has tio files from tournies in 2010, please send them to zac asap. NikeFest needs to be sent to zac

Turazrok

Smash Master
It's weird. D tier has some of the people from the old PR in it. D tier is barely passing. I don't like anything other than an A :(

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
BSL is from Louisiana too.

So if/when LA gets added to this, do we need to send you all of our 2010 tournies as well?
No. We will NOT be merging PR Tier lists.

LA will/should do their own in a similar manner if you want to participate. When two states have lists setup like this, then seeding tournaments where both states are represented will be easier. You temporarily merge the groups together and form one list in which you seed players.

Trela

Smash Lord
Looks like the Dallas Menace has taken over B Tier.

Don't worry, Roy! I'm coming going to try to save you!

PS: Xyro is legend.

-Ran

Smash Master
Tiers are decided around player skill gaps. Mostly they were created by putting players together, until it becomes uncomfortable for another player to fit into the group. At that point, you create the next group, and continue until you have reached the bottom of your list. After that, you refine the list with who is keeping company with who to prevent oversight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom