• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Texas Power Rankings! - Updated June 15, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I'm confused. Take is in two different tiers.
Zac will fix it. Me and him went through the list to find all the doubles. One or 2 may have been missed.

I ask all TOs to please put the full name of each player in tio when u register them. please dont put slang or different names. it really messes up stuff.

Xyro77

I'm confused. Take is in two different tiers.
Zac will fix it. Me and him went through the list to find all the doubles. One or 2 may have been missed.

I ask all TOs to please put the full name of each player in tio when u register them. please dont put slang or different names. it really messes up stuff.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Not that it matters or anything, but I got split into two people in Ftier.. Psycho Ace and PsychoAce.
This is VERY important. If you guys find any other duplicates I missed, please let me know. Changing two people to become one doesn't just affect your scores, it affects everyone who ever played you.

Do we still gain/loss points for playing OOS players like Lee?
Yes.

I can't figure out how to download from that site. There's a big download button, but clicking it does nothing. Try http://www.mediafire.com/

Zac I'm not on the PR. Think you could fix that?
You should show up after the next tourney. I accidentally left a few people out. Sorry =(

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
ELO is the same system they use in international Chess rankings.

Questions for Zac:

1 - How are you determining the K Value of the events? Again I'll reference Magic - they determined K value by the level of Judge and the number of people at the event.

2 - Is this every tournament? I'm thinking about having small weeklies/biweeklies at my apartment here in the upcoming month or so and it will suck for out of town people if that counts towards the rankings, but it will also suck for local people if someone beats a high ranked local player if it doesn't count.

3 - How do out of state tournaments count? What sort of value do those tournaments hold versus the in-state tournaments?
Bumpsies.

ten502badgateway

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Updated OP with a fresh list

Btw, I made some edits to fix duplicate names and re-balance a few things. You'll notice the list has changed. If I made any mistakes with the spelling of your name or the character you use, please PM me.

@Infinity Whoops sorry.

1 - How are you determining the K Value of the events? Again I'll reference Magic - they determined K value by the level of Judge and the number of people at the event.

The K value used in for Double Elimination tournaments is different than for Swiss tournaments. I had to experiment to find a good K value. One other thing to note, is people who stay in the winners bracket might only play a total of 5 games, while players sent to losers early can play up to 9 games. It could be possible for someone to take a first game loss just to play more games and gain more points. I adjusted the K value for losers bracket to prevent such a problem from happening.

K value (winners bracket) = 24
K value (losers bracket) = 12

It's not perfect, I know, but it's pretty darn accurate. Again, I ran multiple tests to ensure players were being ranked as accurately as possible.

2 - Is this every tournament? I'm thinking about having small weeklies/biweeklies at my apartment here in the upcoming month or so and it will suck for out of town people if that counts towards the rankings, but it will also suck for local people if someone beats a high ranked local player if it doesn't count.

I excluded small attendance tournaments like PikaPika, EX2, and Phase 9. Those results, while still accurate in head-to-head comparisons, skewed ratings too much. I may consider adjusting the K value for smaller tournaments so that I can add them in later.

3 - How do out of state tournaments count? What sort of value do those tournaments hold versus the in-state tournaments?

OoS tournaments are weird, because it's hard for me to rank EVERYONE from EVERYWHERE. I can still use non-TX tournaments to rank TX players (I did this with MLG Columbus and will do this for Apex 2010). I did my best to use older tournaments to get a base point value for OoS players (like KS, LA, and OK). Again, it's not entirely 100% accurate, but it's pretty darn close. I also set base values for M2K and Ally at 2000 in order to include Whobo 2, just cause =P

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
you can go ahead and take me off the rankings. safe to say I don't play this game much/at all anymore.
If you live in TX and entered a Brawl tournament, you will be on the list. You staying on this list has neither a positive nor negative effect on other players, so don't worry.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I don't think this list is balanced...there needs to be a PR+.

Yes, moving closer to F tier again!

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
List is looking more accurate now, 2 questions

1. If I beat M2K at ozzfest 4 how many points would i get? How do you determine M2ks ELO rating? Also If you counted whobo, Trela beating San, Dojo beating Atomsk, etc... I'd like to know how that works.

2. What was the earliest tourny you used for this?

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
1. If I beat M2K at ozzfest 4 how many points would i get? How do you determine M2ks ELO rating? Also If you counted whobo, Trela beating San, Dojo beating Atomsk, etc... I'd like to know how that works.
Like I said, this was tricky because other places don't have a system in place like this. I think we can all agree that M2K and Ally's scores should be above everyone else's so I gave them 2000 each. I also started ADHD (hobo 21) at 1900, Atomsk (whobo 2) at 1800, and San (whobo 2) at 1700.

2. What was the earliest tourny you used for this?
May 1st 2010

I had two sets of tourneys, an early list ONLY to help me get a base score for everyone:
Hobo 21 - Dec 12
Phase 5 - Jan 30
Hobo 22 - Feb 6
Phase 6 - Feb 20
Hobo 23 - Mar 6
Phase 7 - Mar 27
Whobo 2 - Apr

And a recent list:
Phase 8 - May 1
Hobo 24 - May 8
Nikefest 2 - May 15
JUJment Day - May 29
MLG Columbus - Jun 5
Hobo 25 - Jun 12
Phase 10 - Jun 26
Hobo 26 - Jul 3

Both lists were used the same way in calculating ratings. However, what you have to understand is that the earlier list didn't have a very big impact on the ratings. This is because whatever ratings were determined by the early list were then updated using the recent list; this effectively overrides outdated results.

Dakpo

Smash Lord
D tier D:l. Ima try and place in top 10 at all the phases i go to! see if i can make it to B tier >_< or even A!

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Updated List Again​

Sorry for so many updates, I've been working with Xyro to get smaller tourneys and other tweaks figured out.

Added these tourneys (newly added ones since last update in bold):

2009-12-05 Phase 4 - added to balance # Phases vs # Hobos
2009-12-12 Hobo 21
2010-01-09 Final Smash 8
2010-01-30 Phase 5
2010-02-06 Hobo 22
2010-02-20 Phase 6
2010-03-06 Hobo 23
2010-03-27 Phase 7
2010-04-03 Whobo 2
2010-05-01 Phase 8
2010-05-08 Hobo 24
2010-05-15 NikeFest 2
2010-05-22 EX2
2010-05-29 JUJment Day
2010-06-05 MLG Columbus
2010-06-05 Phase 9
2010-06-12 Hobo 25
2010-06-19 PikaNick
2010-06-26 Phase 10
2010-07-03 Hobo 26
2010-07-07 P4 Tourney 3

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Nooo, I'm moving from farther from F-tier...this displeases me.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
I reallly dont think p4's tournament should be counted. It wasnt even for money. Just organized friendlies pretty much

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I scaled the small, local tourneys to fit appropriately. They are worth far less points than real tourneys, but are still counted. Their impact is about 3-4 points difference (which easily gets erased/overridden after larger tourneys)

Xyro77

Its ok RT, Im not going anywhere either... :(
and dont think I will for a while, but being able to at least see my name please me...lol
though u didnt think u did bad, its like your 3nd or 3rd tourney right? you WILL get better.

I reallly dont think p4's tournament should be counted. It wasnt even for money. Just organized friendlies pretty much
phase 9 was counted and it was balanced brawl. its small so i dont think it will make royr surpass gnes fo example

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom