• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official SWF Matchup Chart v3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'd like to see more discussions on MUs and stuff. As the OP says, there probably won't be anymore MU chart releases, and instead we'll just update it accordingly as time goes by.
'We' as in the BBR? I hope player input will be the driving factor?

Flayl

Smash Hero
So it's happened, Bowser VS PT is called a -2

I guess it's a good thing I can't get myself to care anymore.

8Bitman

Smash Master
So I am $10 MMing every IC, Marth, Diddy, Wario and ZSS I find at WHOBO. R.O.B obv the worst.

8Bitman

Smash Master
Cool, I will make a list. Hopefully I can actually do all of them. P-1 first.

Luigi player

Smash Master
but with the definition of "who is winning how often in 10 matches"
That definition sucks anyway.

Just go with "has an advantage". 10-0: unbelieveable big advantage that makes it nearly impossible to win.
5-5: even
6:4: one has an advantage, but it's not too big

etc

If one character has an advantage, he should win that MU almost 100 % of the time. I could give it the rating 7:3, because it's a big advantage, but for you it would mean "could still lose the set, even though it's unlikely", even though it is very very much more unlikely than that (unless the player is just much more better).

This is what the -4 to +4 rating is trying to do. It wants to show that it's not a ratio, but imo there are too few options for them... but we all know it might not even help, because people have such big different opinions that some think a MU is +2 and others think it's -1 or w/e. This could make it even more difficult to come together to a ratio...

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I could actually see myself losing to 8Bit, he probably has more NR exp than I do vs Holy's ROB. I'm actually pretty rusty at that MU

Regardless if I somehow managed to make it to WHOBO5 I'd gladly MM him

8Bitman

Smash Master
You're post is the reason I'm doing this. You're not the only one. But yeah, if you come, fun times.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
That definition sucks anyway.

Just go with "has an advantage". 10-0: unbelieveable big advantage that makes it nearly impossible to win.
5-5: even
6:4: one has an advantage, but it's not too big

etc

If one character has an advantage, he should win that MU almost 100 % of the time. I could give it the rating 7:3, because it's a big advantage, but for you it would mean "could still lose the set, even though it's unlikely", even though it is very very much more unlikely than that (unless the player is just much more better).

This is what the -4 to +4 rating is trying to do. It wants to show that it's not a ratio, but imo there are too few options for them... but we all know it might not even help, because people have such big different opinions that some think a MU is +2 and others think it's -1 or w/e. This could make it even more difficult to come together to a ratio...
The problem is, that its much harder to agree on what an advantage is (And how big), than on how often characterX is expected to win against charaY. IMO

Especially since advantage is such an inaccurate term. Advantage what?
The Match Up is easier to play? Easier to win? More/better Options? What exactly does Advantage mean here.
Some people might see something as an advantage, others dont.

I think its much easier to agree on the who-wins-X-games-out-of-10, not saying it there would still be people to disagree with someones opinion on that.

Maybe in the end, its just a personal preferation anyway ^^

8Bitman

Smash Master
I could actually see myself losing to 8Bit, he probably has more NR exp than I do vs Holy's ROB. I'm actually pretty rusty at that MU

-_- Lmfao

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941

Don't worry V, Leafshadow and I will give you all the kinda not terrible ROB main experience you need ;)

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
That doesn't make sense. Being bad/good doesn't change a MU...
Yes it does. Me fighting newbies will make every MU against ZSS/Kirby seem like a +4 to the whole cast.

Also, a person who relies a lot on mindgames could be argued to be skewing the MU in his favor due to his player skill being greater than the opponents'. Kind of like ChuDat and Kirby's early days.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Bad players do not represent MUs.
Mind games are required for some characters. It's not skewing a MU it's playing it well ;)

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Are mindgames... really mindgames? (In smash)

At the highest level, players are going for guaranteed or near guaranteed "set ups", where any alteration or "mind game" comes from a player mixing up what option they choose for the given situation, although they may/probably had multiple options that would've been successful.

Like, is it really a mindgame where a player is facing backwards in the air and chooses to land into a turn around buffered jab instead of bairing? Nearly every top character is strong from a neutral situation but isn't once they expend their resource... And most top characters' resources are "safe" when used properly.

I don't really see mindgames as a player choosing to wait an extra few frames before doing something. You can "mind game" people by pretending you have a rolling habit or something, but the more reactionary the top brass get (i.e. getting close to super duper ******** 2 frame reaction speed [exaggeration]) the less stuff like that... really means anything at all and it just comes down to player's reaction speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom