• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Statement Regarding Brawl and the MLG 2009 Pro Circuit

MLG_JV

Smash Ace
I have seen some threads and posts around here lately regarding Brawl’s exclusion from the 2009 MLG Pro Circuit. A lot of people have stated opinions and claimed to know the reasons, and rather than just leave it all to speculation I want to come right out about it and address the issue.

The reality is that making a decision about whether to include a game on the Pro Circuit is a very complex process. There are an immense amount of factors that go into it, from the space on our shipping trucks, the setups, venue space, prize money/operating cost, sponsorships, the current economy, or a variety of other things. And that’s the truth. This year there was not any one reason Brawl was not on the circuit. It was a combination of factors that simply didn’t line up properly.

MLG has been steadily growing for years, and throughout those years we as a company have always had a great relationship with the Smash community. There were a lot of people in the office pulling for the game to be included on the Circuit this year (I can tell you that first-hand). Obviously with large turn-outs at UCLA, HOBO, COT4, a successful East Coast Circuit and Midwest Circuit and a summer that looks to have some great tournaments (Genesis among others) the community and Brawl has proven to produce large turn-outs and staying power. That was not the issue. The reality is that you really have to sit down and factor in all of the things I mentioned above, and at the end of the day MLG had to make a business decision for this year’s Pro Circuit. And unfortunately, it just did not work out with Brawl this year. That is the honest answer.

That said, with MLG purchasing Smashboards, it’s clear the company has faith in the community and the game. Looking at the $7,500 Time Warner GameBattles Brawl Ladder, the staffing initiatives we have taken here on the SWF, the SBR-B Reformation, the efforts to bring you more Pro Content, the Get Better Fast articles, contests we have tried to involve the community in (Dr. Pepper Smash Bros Brawl Film Festival, Ultimate Gaming House), and a lot of other things both big and small this should be clear. We hope to continue to do these things, look for new and exciting things to bring to the table, and continue to improve things around here on SWF.

Nothing is ever perfect, that’s a reality of life, and I understand none of this is the Pro Circuit (I do have to cry myself to sleep every so often). But that does not change MLG’s commitment to the Smash community, and I still remain optimistic that Brawl could make it onto the Pro Circuit in the future. There is no reason for me to believe that it wouldn’t or couldn’t happen. We’ll try again next year, and in the meantime we will continue to try to do our part to help build the community every day and provide a great foundation for competitive smash and smash on a whole.

This whole thing is a process, but I can tell you wholeheartedly that smash has been a huge part of my life for many years and I will continue to try do right by the community. Its important that everyone continues to support their local scene and really puts effort into making new players feel welcome. Everyone's goal really needs to be to grow the community, to make vets feel welcome and appreciated, and make new players understand how getting involved in the community can be a great life experience and a lot of fun.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Its just one of those times where things just don't work out, eh?

Thanks for letting us know. I'm pretty sure alot of people would prefer this instead of the reasons that they made for themselves.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
Purchasing Smash Boards is proof enough for me, that they still care.

(And Brawl isn't the most exciting game to watch sometimes. People wouldn't want to come to see planking, which is a very viable strategy in Brawl.)

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
...This year there was not any one reason Brawl was not on the circuit. It was a combination of factors that simply didn’t line up properly...

...The reality is that you really have to sit down and factor in all of the things I mentioned above, and at the end of the day MLG had to make a business decision for this year’s Pro Circuit. And unfortunately, it just did not work out with Brawl this year. That is the honest answer...

...There is no reason for me to believe that it wouldn’t or couldn’t happen. We’ll try again next year, and in the meantime we will continue to try to do our part to help build the community every day and provide a great foundation for competitive smash and smash on a whole....

...Everyone's goal really needs to be to grow the community...
Personally, these are the things that I hope people pull from this post.

MLG_JV, we really appreciate you coming to the boards yourself and telling it to us straight. I really think that's all that we really wanted, to be talked to straight, like the members of a community. Here's hoping for next year.

z3r0C0oL

Smash Apprentice
Would Melee ever be considered again? I dont play it, but the matches are always a blast to watch.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Still disappointing, but at least we know why now. Hopefully we will see brawl on the circuit next year.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
I might be missing the main message, but apparently, Brawl is so good it's expensive... Too expensive to include.... that's one thing that my mind seems to becoming up with.... I understand the other reasons, but that one seems to pop out for some reason.... in any case, it's good to know that they don't dislike us atleast, and that they do have reasons for it instead of just hating.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Ah, that's a really good clarification.

Hopefully not a ton of people will be spreading speculation after this, they have no reason to now. Thanks JV, I think that this should help some of the false rumors going around and whatever else people are saying and just pulling out of thier hats. Yes, hats.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
It's not much clarification at all. Who knows what the "variety of factors" really is? :/ It could just be nice talk for, "We don't really like Brawl that much." as well, though I trust that isn't the case with the commitment MLG has shown us elsewhere (as stated).

The best I can come up with is that Brawl would be the only Wii exclusive on the Circuit, making the setup relatively cost-prohibitive compared to the 360's and PC's that can basically play every other title they did include.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
from the space on our shipping trucks, the setups, venue space, prize money/operating cost, sponsorships, the current economy,
Wiis take up less space then xboxes, but the majority of your games are on xbox so you have to ship xboxes. Valid I guess lol.

Prize money is used for other games as well...

Micro$oft is a major sponser of MLG. Doubt they would give any money to a Nintendo game.

The current economy has just as much of an impact on other games.

Honestly, these reasons are pretty vague. I'd just like to know why MLG excluded smash this year. This would've been the perfect opportunity to unit wc and ec (determine who's better) and raise a lot of money. Meh, just provide better reasons. I don't see how it would affect your company negatively at all...

MattNF

Smash Lord
The real reason is probably that Brawl sucks and it would be an embarassment to have it in the circuit

...I kid, I kid.

Noa.

Smash Master
Does No MLG = Less Smash tournaments?
Not necessarily, but if it was in the circuit it eould have been nice. The whole country could have played to see who's among the best. But it's nice to see that MLG told us the reasons. I thank JV for that.

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
Not necessarily, but if it was in the circuit it eould have been nice. The whole country could have played to see who's among the best. But it's nice to see that MLG told us the reasons. I thank JV for that.
Exactly - an MLG tournament draws a lot of players, moreover a high concentration of the most skilled players, and so there's an increased sense of legitimacy and a lot of respect given for players who perform and place well. Obviously there's nothing saying that this can't happen without MLG, but having Smash on the circuit would be an incredible boon.

I'm not so much worried about the whys, but I certainly have my fingers crossed for the future! And if, by the way, there's anything the community can do to help make it happen, I'm sure we'd all be equal to the challenge.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I am normally not a jerk about this, but the articles are Get Better Faster, not "Getter Better Fast." AFAIK.

Once again, I wouldn't do corrections unless it was an important post.. this is an important post =D.

Thanks for communicating, I am sure this will put a lot of the talk to rest.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
The Process:

Is it for 360? No.

Are there guns? No.

GET IT OUTTA THERE!

I kid :) But I'm still pissed that Brawl isn't on the pro circuit. How bout a little variety?

Dekar173

Justice Man
I think he set up quite a rubric for getting Brawl on the circuit next year:

HELP OUR COMMUNITY THRIVE.

Thanks, and let's hope this message affects as many people as possible.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
Wiis take up less space then xboxes, but the majority of your games are on xbox so you have to ship xboxes. Valid I guess lol.

Micro$oft is a major sponser of MLG. Doubt they would give any money to a Nintendo game.

Honestly, these reasons are pretty vague. I'd just like to know why MLG excluded smash this year. This would've been the perfect opportunity to unit wc and ec (determine who's better) and raise a lot of money. Meh, just provide better reasons. I don't see how it would affect your company negatively at all...
reread your post and you'll realize you've answered your own question

MLG_JV

Smash Ace
First off there have been a lot of positive responses. So thanks for that all, continue to do your part to grow and support the community, and I assure you will be trying again next year.

Would Melee ever be considered again? I dont play it, but the matches are always a blast to watch.
Running Melee for the MLG pro circuit I saw some of the most exciting video game matches of my life. So yeah I am a big fan of Melee. That said the Brawl while maybe not as fast paced the game is still great in its own right, the community is strong, and the game is a huge seller. It just is difficult and does not make a lot of sense to support a previous version of a game series. So its extremely unlikely melee would be featured. If the community can show up in huge numbers, or perhaps just some side event/crew matches are possible.

Or possibly Brawl+?
Pretty much No. Im normally a never say never guy. But I just see this being extremely incredibly unlikely. Because of the Wii mod Nintendo would have to sign off on it, very difficult for me to see that happening. And you would be severely cutting the player base.

We already own Xboxes and have to ship them. Wiis might take up less room, but since we are running 2 360 games like you said its not like we can substitute Wiis for Xboxes. So you need Wiis, Brawl, TVs to play them on, venue space to set it up in, power strips, electrical grid support. Its a much bigger picture than you accounted for.

There is only so much Prize money to go around. Entry fees only cover a fraction the prizes MLG gives out. So MLG has to dip into our own pocket for each game on the circuit. MLG is doing well but the economy does factor how much you want to extend yourself.

I thought I was pretty honest with what went into making the decision. There are a lot of factors and no one reason. People within the company were pulling for the game, but after all factors were considered, MLG just had to make a business decision.

Exactly - an MLG tournament draws a lot of players, moreover a high concentration of the most skilled players, and so there's an increased sense of legitimacy and a lot of respect given for players who perform and place well. Obviously there's nothing saying that this can't happen without MLG, but having Smash on the circuit would be an incredible boon.

I'm not so much worried about the whys, but I certainly have my fingers crossed for the future! And if, by the way, there's anything the community can do to help make it happen, I'm sure we'd all be equal to the challenge.
Thanks! And honestly I feel like if more and more people can see how great it can be to be a part of the community or how deep the game is we can continue to grow. So part of it is just everyone doing their part to spread the word via forums, game expos, gamestore tournaments, etc. And really welcoming and educating new players. The other part of it is just supporting your local scene. It would be amazing to see 300 person tournaments all over the US and national scale 500-600 person tournaments.

I am normally not a jerk about this, but the articles are Get Better Faster, not "Getter Better Fast." AFAIK.
Good call, corrected

Sanu

Smash Champion
Running Melee for the MLG pro circuit I saw some of the most exciting video game matches of my life. So yeah I am a big fan of Melee. That said the Brawl while maybe not as fast paced the game is still great in its own right, the community is strong, and the game is a huge seller. It just is difficult and does not make a lot of sense to support a previous version of a game series. So its extremely unlikely melee would be featured. If the community can show up in huge numbers, or perhaps just some side event/crew matches are possible.
Even though I'm disappointed, I'm sure that myself and the other competitive Melee players are really glad to finally have closure on this issue; although it was the expected outcome. Thanks for clearing that up :).

wangston

Smash Lord
Finally a direct answer from MLG themselves. I was getting so tired of hearing mlg gave up on brawl and said the game was too kiddy.

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
I think he set up quite a rubric for getting Brawl on the circuit next year:

HELP OUR COMMUNITY THRIVE.

Thanks, and let's hope this message affects as many people as possible.
Quoting this because everyone should read it. If we make Smash a big community (and game), it will give them more incentive to put it on the circuit.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
is there anything the smash community could have done differently so that smash would have been on the 2009 circuit? because this could help ensure that smash makes it next year

edit: this was pretty much awnsered

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
The Process:

Is it for 360? No.

Are there guns? No.

GET IT OUTTA THERE!

I kid :) But I'm still pissed that Brawl isn't on the pro circuit. How bout a little variety?
Well... there are Ray guns in Brawl...

... But nevermind that...

...Oh and JV, I think he was being sarcastic about B+, but I can't tell over the internet/not knowing the guy/gal's personality.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I reckon a lot of it has do do with the fact that brawl is boring as hell to watch compared to melee.(For me anyways)

There is a pretty noticable skill difference between the two.Higher levels of melee were way more intense to watch than in brawl.

Bring back melee for MLG!

Nah only jokin ill get in trouble for this kind of jargon.

But MLG didn't acquire this place for nothing so its definite in the future.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
This thread made my day.

Thank you for clearing this up JV. It's nice to finally get a direct answer from someone whose a part of the MLG.

:093:

B!squick

Smash Master
Variety of reasons? *sniff sniff* Does Smash have bad BO? O.o

In all seriousness though, don't worry, it's cool. MLG is more for Halo and whatnot anyway. V_V

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Am I the only one that thought this thread sounded like JV was breaking up with us? Yes? Okay.

Anyway, thanks to JV for taking the time to formalize something. It's good to know that when the community has a concern we can expect it to be taken seriously.

Smash for 2010.

Gannonspetmoblin

Smash Apprentice
uhhhh you said that you guys make "get better fast(er)" articles, but you havent updated those in nearly 2 months. any idea when the next couple will be released?

Bakuryu

Smash Ace
How would we go about getting Nintendo to sign off on Brawl+? I know the chances are practically zero, but if we don't try we won't know Brawl+ does nothing illegal its changing there game, but we aren't using it the abuse anything else on the Wii.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
How would we go about getting Nintendo to sign off on Brawl+? I know the chances are practically zero, but if we don't try we won't know Brawl+ does nothing illegal its changing there game, but we aren't using it the abuse anything else on the Wii.
are you serious?
in order to hack brawl you need to hack the wii to install homebrew (which is illegal)
abusing has nothing to do with it. This isn't gameshark where you insert a disk and woila you have hacks.. no you have to hack your wii and install illegal software to hack it. Nintendo isn't patching exploits for custom WAP files and all that stuff for nothing if MLG endorses this they can get in some serious legal trouble

Bakuryu

Smash Ace
are you serious?
in order to hack brawl you need to hack the wii to install homebrew (which is illegal)
abusing has nothing to do with it. This isn't gameshark where you insert a disk and woila you have hacks.. no you have to hack your wii and install illegal software to hack it. Nintendo isn't patching exploits for custom WAP files and all that stuff for nothing if MLG endorses this they can get in some serious legal trouble
If I remember correctly if you didnt update past 3.2 its not illegal, besides were not doing anything illegal we didnt get a gameshark to use so we made our own. You can all laugh, but I'd ask anyway if nintendo still believe there games should be fun for everyone and played the way the player wants why not?

Top Bottom