• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Statement Regarding Brawl and the MLG 2009 Pro Circuit

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
I'm sorry, but MLG would never endorse a hacked version of the game, because like Dair said, they would get into some serious legal trouble.

I'm not all certain about the whole legalness issue of Brawl+. As far as what you're saying about updating past 3.2 being illegal, then a heck of a lot of Brawl+ players play it illegally. I'm not sure if you still have a 3.1-3.2, whether it's completely legal or not, but still, a professional gaming league wouldn't endorse a hacked version of a game, just because it's hacked. MLG never has, and I doubt they ever will.

Plus, the way to get Brawl+ in the first place is to use Homebrew Channel, which is illegal if the channel has things like free Wii points and other stuff. And the recent Wii System Updates have all tried to get rid of Homebrew, so you can bet that Nintendo doesn't want that.

And even if it was all legal, there isn't enough people playing Brawl+. And while Brawl+ for some is more fun to play, to someone who plays little Brawl or doesn't play Brawl at all, the two versions are going to like the same, so there would still be the same problems of popularity and sponsorship.

Bring Melee back or Brawl for once for 2010, either way I'm happy lulz.

Almas

Smash Lord
Firstly, I'd like to point out that Brawl+ is not illegal in any form. It voids the EULA and thus warranty (and right to use certain online services) for people with a system menu of 3.3 or higher, but is not illegal at all.

Secondly, I think that's as far as the Brawl+ discussion in this thread needs to go. While it is certainly an interesting question, I don't think talking about it in this thread will achieve anything other than a decline into a flame fest.

Bakuryu

Smash Ace
I'm sorry, but MLG would never endorse a hacked version of the game, because like Dair said, they would get into some serious legal trouble.

I'm not all certain about the whole legalness issue of Brawl+. As far as what you're saying about updating past 3.2 being illegal, then a heck of a lot of Brawl+ players play it illegally. I'm not sure if you still have a 3.1-3.2, whether it's completely legal or not, but still, a professional gaming league wouldn't endorse a hacked version of a game, just because it's hacked. MLG never has, and I doubt they ever will.

Plus, the way to get Brawl+ in the first place is to use Homebrew Channel, which is illegal if the channel has things like free Wii points and other stuff. And the recent Wii System Updates have all tried to get rid of Homebrew, so you can bet that Nintendo doesn't want that.

And even if it was all legal, there isn't enough people playing Brawl+. And while Brawl+ for some is more fun to play, to someone who plays little Brawl or doesn't play Brawl at all, the two versions are going to like the same, so there would still be the same problems of popularity and sponsorship.

Bring Melee back or Brawl for once for 2010, either way I'm happy lulz.
I'm not asking MLG im asking Nintendo read the other post. We arent using Homebrew for the other stuff we just need GeckoOS aka the gameshark that never was.. And to say not enough people play it is completely ignorant we have a large community of people who play it and it grows every day.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Firstly, I'd like to point out that Brawl+ is not illegal in any form. It voids the EULA and thus warranty (and right to use certain online services) for people with a system menu of 3.3 or higher, but is not illegal at all.

Secondly, I think that's as far as the Brawl+ discussion in this thread needs to go. While it is certainly an interesting question, I don't think talking about it in this thread will achieve anything other than a decline into a flame fest.
People who know little of Brawl+ (i.e those saying "it's illegal"), please remember the above if you ever enter a discussion that brings up Brawl+.

Anyway, back to vanilla Brawl and MLG discussion...

Tony_

Smash Ace
Brawl is very boring to watch. For real. I can only think of about 2 matches among tournament videos that are worth watching.

Melee, on the other hand, is very exciting to watch. It should be brought back, not Brawl. Besides, almost all the smash pros have given up on Brawl anyways.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Guys, no melee vs brawl here.

-:bowser:Bowser King
This. Please.

Two different games; but for MLG, Brawl would be the better choice. More people play it, so whether it is a better competitive game or not, it would make more money for a company.

noobpota2

Smash Apprentice
hmm still kind of strange that MLG bought smash boards but then dosn't fully support it. I mean its not exactly effecting me in anyway but, and i understand how people would feel, but OP's statement kind of clears things up IMO.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
Disappointing of course, but I strongly appreciate you making a statement about it. Hopefully next year.

Copie

Smash Rookie
Pfff. Just gives me more time to train and go pro.

I'll see you all at MLG 2010. :p

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
I WILL PUT MONEY ON IT that BRAWL will never be apart of a major MLG event. the only thing brawl has going for it is Gamebattles.

Even though SFIV was @ MLG MeadowLands why wasn't there a tourney for it? you can answer that right?

MattNF

Smash Lord
Melee should be on the circuit. It's VERY exciting to watch. Brawl is incredibly boring due to the slow paced matches, and even Mew2King agreed that the Brawl community sucks. There's no East vs West rivalry, no epic classic battles like Ken vs Bombsoldier, etc....

tocador

Smash Lord
Melee should be on the circuit. It's VERY exciting to watch. Brawl is incredibly boring due to the slow paced matches, and even Mew2King agreed that the Brawl community sucks. There's no East vs West rivalry, no epic classic battles like Ken vs Bombsoldier, etc....
Ther's no such thing because brawl is a gentlesmen game.

10gentlesmen

Ax00x0

Smash Apprentice
Mmhm....some of those answers WERE vague, and I do believe MLG is missing out...but then again, I'm not on the inside, so how would I know? Dissapointing, but a concrete answer is nice.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
Its a good thing there was still room for all those shooters though. What a disappointment it would have been if one of them had been pulled.

PolarJunkie

Smash Cadet
Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing both Brawl and Melee MLG events. There's no reason why their existences should be mutually exclusive.

uhhhh you said that you guys make "get better fast(er)" articles, but you havent updated those in nearly 2 months. any idea when the next couple will be released?
Ditto. There were several pretty interesting topics in the section but no content for them so far. I'd be ecstatic to see more.

Tony_

Smash Ace
Melee is the only acceptable standard Smash has left. When Melee dies, Smash will die along with it.

Brawl is very sluggish and Brawl+ is only a little faster. Unless a SSB4 is made that closely resembles Melee, Smash will die, and there is nothing we can do to stop that.

MattNF

Smash Lord
Melee is the only acceptable standard Smash has left. When Melee dies, Smash will die along with it.

Brawl is very sluggish and Brawl+ is only a little faster. Unless a SSB4 is made that closely resembles Melee, Smash will die, and there is nothing we can do to stop that.
The 13 year olds who play Brawl will keep it alive, sadly.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
The 13 year olds who play Brawl will keep it alive, sadly.
Meh. Kupo's Set > Melee > Brawl+ > SSB 64 > George Bush > Brawl > Shirley Phelps.

Kupo's Set is better than Melee because of awesome textures, and the fact that you can add any code that you want.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
He's referring to a B+ coder and his work apparently, and this guy likes his codeset better than the standard B+ery.

Don't get any ideas though, B+ should and never will be mainstream/sponsored/etc. due to the way it is obtained.

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
I am optomistic about this whole situation with MLG. As I'm sure most do, I truely wish that SSBB finds its place in the MLG games line-up. It's pretty obvious that we have a whole lot to offer. Some of the most talented and dedicated gamers to speak of, and a community that has been able to pull together and create some amazing tournaments and events all over the country.

Not to mention that MLG announcers are far more impressive and easy to listen to than whomever happens to grab a mic at some of the bigger events.

Solid Jake

The Arcanum
I am optomistic about this whole situation with MLG. As I'm sure most do, I truely wish that SSBB finds its place in the MLG games line-up. It's pretty obvious that we have a whole lot to offer. Some of the most talented and dedicated gamers to speak of, and a community that has been able to pull together and create some amazing tournaments and events all over the country.

Not to mention that MLG announcers are far more impressive and easy to listen to than whomever happens to grab a mic at some of the bigger events.

Yeah.. im trying to get regular commentators to be a standard thing for the ECRC at least - i personally really dislike the random person grabbing a mic as well but its so hard to run an event, manage live stream, answer questions, manage pools etc etc.

Toadster5

Smash Journeyman
Meh. Kupo's Set > Melee > Brawl+ > SSB 64 > George Bush > Brawl > Shirley Phelps.

Kupo's Set is better than Melee because of awesome textures, and the fact that you can add any code that you want.
Hacked Brawl is pretty fun but there's just something about the feel and epicness of Melee that it will never recreate.

fragbait

Smash Master
So, MLG went with GOW2, R6V2 over Brawl?
Stupid.
It's all FREAKING SHOOTERS!
I bet you if we legalized the Ray Gun and Cracker Launcher, they would put it up.
This is BS, JV. I have lost almost all my faith in MLG after that move. R6V2 gets a Pro Circuit, with events in major cities, sponsorships, etc, and Brawl gets 1 GB tourney? ON WIFI? Seriously, look around the boards a bit, JV. In person is where it's at.
Brawl better not get the shaft for MLG again. Buying the boards means nothing to me. All it did was take away my post count and add new people to the backroom. Which, BTW, InfernoRage1 should be in there, ask any Midwest TO.
I would also like to add that, before, there was little to no advertising on the boards, now there's all kinds. Kinda a pain in the ***.

Top Bottom