• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
@Pieman
Some of those are rather short. Most tend to be within the ten to fifteen second range (17 for ICs). Anyway, overall, I think the victory themes should be fitting for victory and/or are significantly well known/iconic.

Luigi: Good choice, but too short. Maybe something from Luigi's Mansion or perhaps an arrangement of Mario's victory theme would be appropriate.
Peach: Agreed, considering that it has been around since SMB
Bowser: I'd go with something from the main series.
Link: That one might be appropriate for Ganondorf, at least something with that instrumentation.
Zelda/Sheik: That song isn't really as associated with them as the ones I listed. That, and some may find it to be a semi-obscure reference (ala Lucas' victory)
Ganondorf: I really have no clue.
Toon Link: I still stand by the LttP title theme.
Fox: Keep it as it is.
Falco: That works.
Wolf: Not really, I'm not sure what would go here. Maybe a metal version of Fox's?
Luigi: I think it could easily be extended to fit in. Its not supposed to be an exact port over.
Bowser: How about a edited version of the Mario death sound?
Link: I suppose if the chanting was deeper it could work for Ganondorf.
Zelda/Sheik: Well, I would think that Sheik's theme is about as obscure as the Prelude to Light.
Ganondorf: Its a bit hard to think of what would really work for him, and really most villains, since there aren't many things that sound upbeat and suited for villains at the same time. Clownbot's suggestion is sort of good, but it doesn't seem like it would fit in all that well for a victory tune, though I guess if the end was edited a bit, it could.
Wolf: I suppose you're right. What I said with Ganondorf still sort of applies to Wolf, though Wolf is probably closer to MK, and thus could use the same type of thing that MK had with his victory tune.

Anyways, some more....

Pikachu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM85d2fXJrc
Edited or sped up a bit of course

Pokemon Trainer: Same one we have now, or possibly the Mewtwo one below.

Mewtwo (if back): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdoy7p7sJ_s

Jigglypuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi5FPLE8zS0&feature=related
Edited a bit to fit.

Lucario: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-LF8t42Ass
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJaX_ykFVHE

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
here are all the "franchises" repped with a playable character in smash bros:

Donkey Kong:
Dk
Diddy

Earthbound:
Ness
Lucas

Fire Emblem:
Marth
Roy
Ike

F-Zero:
Captain Falcon

Game and Watch series:
mr. g&w

Kid Icarus:
Pit

Kirby:
Kirby
Metaknight
King Dedede

Legend Of Zelda:
Link
Zelda/Sheik
Young Link
Ganondorf
Toon Link

Mario:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Dr. Mario

Metroid:
Samus/Zss

Pikmin:
Olimar

Pokemon:
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pichu
Mewtwo
Pokemon Trainer
Lucario

Starfox:
Fox
Falco
Wolf

Wario:
Wario

Yoshi:
Yoshi

Retro/single game characters:
Ice Climbers
R.O.B.

Now here are a fair few nintendo franchises not deemed with a playable character:

Animalcrossing
Art Style
Custom Robo
Golden Sun
Legend of Starfy
Magical Starsign aka The Magical Vacation
Punch Out!!
Puzzle League
Wars (i knew it by advanced wars)

now, which franchises do you think will be repped for the first time, and which franchises will get another character added to there list?

Add any franchises or single games i forgot!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If Advance Wars gets a character, I don't think Andy will be playable. Think about it for a bit... who actually engage in combat in those games? The soldiers. Andy could be like the Pokemon Trainer where he stays in the background and issues orders to a team of two soldiers. I am thinking "Commanding Officer" is a suitable name for Andy while "Infantry" is a suitable name for the soldiers.

If Golden Sun gets a character, I don't think it will be Isaac. Instead, I think the new protagonist from Golden Sun DS would be very likely. Both Isaac and the new guy are very identical in every way except the very clothes they wear. One might argue that the new guy is an updated Isaac - much like how Ness is an updated Ninten. Even Nintendo's first official art of Golden Sun DS shows the new guy in the same pose as Isaac had in Brawl.

Art Style doesn't need a character. In fact, it doesn't even have any characters! What I would like to see is at least a stage based on one of the Art Style games. I think Pictobits would be a nice Tetris-like stage.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I still say Andy should have a moddified Neo-Tank, sort of like what Tron Bonne uses in MvC2. The whole PT thing just seems to akward if you ask me.

Also in regards to Golden Sun, its always such a shame that the first three pottential spots for the series are all stuck with Venus adepts, instead of anything with the other three types. Thus if we got a second character, it'd likely be very simmilar to the first, despite the fact that the series has a lot more variety than that.

NeverFiniteX

Smash Apprentice
Does anybody else notice how well of a job Nintendo is doing keeping their new Games under wraps these days?

Think about it:

Other M
SMG2
[Untitled] LOZ Project
[Untitled] Kirby Project?

Not even just their Big Hits either, now that you guys mention it , Golden Sun only released a trailer and a concept art poster. ( Plus, half the stuff on that trailer wasn't all that 'New' anyways)

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
@ Arcadenik

though Duck hunt dog sounds like a cool WTF character, I think this guy is more likely to fill the WTF role:

that's Mike Jones, BTW.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Wow, that music discussion went down quick. Anyway, I have a bunch of suggestions for character move changes. A lot of these have new moves, some are alterations or nerfs.

Mario: Down B is now a power-up changer. I mentioned this in thread, but Mario now switches between Fire, Ice, Tanooki, and Luma.
- If anyone asks, I'll list each of their uses.
Link: Arrows can be aimed forward, 45 degrees upward, and 45 degrees downward. (Think Pit)
-You have to move the stick to the side in the desired direction for the angled shots
Yoshi: Both his tongue attacks have longer range and the grab has tether.

Samus: now has the ability to feint her shots and missiles by pressing B just as she fires. Now has four types of missiles. Light Side B shoots a homing missile, Strong Side B Super Missle, Up-Right Side B Ice Missile, and Down Right B Diffusion Missile.
- Biggest change to her specials. Here's the jist of the new ones.
Ice Missle: Acting as an anti-air, this move freezes the opponent with no knockback. Is probably one of the best choices for setting up juggles.
Diffusion Missle: A variation of the Ice Missile. This is shot downward with an ice explosion. The blast radius is about the size of Kirby in his NAir. When this hits the ground or an opponent, said explosion is created. Said explosion works like a ripple. The farther out it goes, the higher the % is needed to freeze someone

Jigglypuff: Sing and Rest have larger (Melee size for Rest) hitboxes. Sing can be canceled out of.

Capt. Falcon: Falcon Punch is now a charge-like attack. The move is still activated by pressing B, but the longer you hold it relates to its power. A full charge is of the traditional strength.

Peach: Final Smash is an emotion based attack. B becomes a heart based projectile (Since I want Toad in, but that's just me.)

Ganondorf: Everything
- This or give him the ability to have two movesets.

Meta Knight: Tornado has more power, but the attack is stationary during its animation. (Think EX SBK)
- This might balance out the whorenado.

h!tboxexplo!ter

Smash Ace
once upon a while ago another website had a "list characters you think should be melee"
I suggested sheik ^.^
true story.
ssb4 sould be this. the EXACT f@#KING version of melee with updated graphics and the 'real' glitches removed. i would also be ok with better/more stages

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Well I suggested a few more music things, but its hard to carry a conversation when there's so little activity in it.

As far as changed moves for characters, Wario's neutral B should be changed to the shake move that he has in WLSI. He could grab the opponent, and then by moving the control stick up and down, Wario would shake the enemy up and down as well, causing coins to fly out (though differnt from the Smash coins of course) which would represent damage done to the oppponent. After enough time, Wario would simply throw the opponent away, or the opponent could break out of it like they could any other type of grab move.

And whatever Ganondorf's moveset becomes, it needs the reflect ball.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
If Advance Wars gets a character, I don't think Andy will be playable. Think about it for a bit... who actually engage in combat in those games? The soldiers. Andy could be like the Pokemon Trainer where he stays in the background and issues orders to a team of two soldiers. I am thinking "Commanding Officer" is a suitable name for Andy while "Infantry" is a suitable name for the soldiers.

If Golden Sun gets a character, I don't think it will be Isaac. Instead, I think the new protagonist from Golden Sun DS would be very likely. Both Isaac and the new guy are very identical in every way except the very clothes they wear. One might argue that the new guy is an updated Isaac - much like how Ness is an updated Ninten. Even Nintendo's first official art of Golden Sun DS shows the new guy in the same pose as Isaac had in Brawl.

Art Style doesn't need a character. In fact, it doesn't even have any characters! What I would like to see is at least a stage based on one of the Art Style games. I think Pictobits would be a nice Tetris-like stage.
I always saw Andy as a pikmin type character. Down B would summon a random unit. If said unit takes to much damage, it falls to the ground. Andy would then have to fix it (not being able to summon another one) unless it fell of stage, etc. Each repair makes the unit stronger (to give incentive to fixing instead of trowing it.)

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
the koopa bros ARE highly unlikely because they are only in one game, im pretty sure, there is a few koopas that probably should get in first, and there is sooo many Mario Rpg characters that would, and hopefully will, get in before koopa bros.

The koopas are a very key species/race in the mario series but we have a handful that have played big, roles in many marioi games. Two of the koopas im ferfering to right now are of course the prince of the koopas, bowser Jr. and the most reacurrring magic koopa, Kamek. Weve been thru all the movesets for bj soo maany times soo we all know what he would be like, either a big dissapointment and a total bowser clone, or a paint brush weilding breath of fresh air. Kamek would probably be quicker, and have a move where she can hover, sort of like peach on her broomstick, wihile shooking those random magic shapes and what not.

Also, All the mario rpg's have never been repped, paper mario hasnt, the mario and luigi sagas havent AND SMRPG definitely hasnt. Paper mario likely get in before all of the characters im about to list, let alone getting in over koopa bros. Fawful, seems to keep nudging his way into the mario and luigi saga, soo i could see him more likely being in ssb4 then koopa bros. Fawul is also a reacurring villain and we have very few villain characters in smash that were ever actually playable. (Wario, Ganondorf, Wolf, DDD, Bowser and Mewtwo)
Lastly, from smrpg, Geno, or Mallow would be great candidates for ssb4, they got soo much attention while brawl was coming out. Koopa bros, honestly this is the first time i have ever heard someone want them in brawl, they would be a really cool AT tho.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
@ KumaOso

with Metaknight, my idea of a change is that the tornado becomes his up-B, and his B becomes his tornado projectile move from KSS.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
i hate how wolf, Fox and falco all have the same moves basically. I think wolfs moveset should differ greatly. I would understand why fox and falcos moves would be similar, i mean there in the same group and for all we know it seems like they have known each other forever. But wolf is an outlaw, and needs a toatlly diverse moveset. Like, you wouldnt expect krystal to have the same moves as fox? i mean she grew up on a totally different planet where she fought with a staff and lived w/ dinosaurs!

majora_787

Smash Hero
i hate how wolf, Fox and falco all have the same moves basically. I think wolfs moveset should differ greatly. I would understand why fox and falcos moves would be similar, i mean there in the same group and for all we know it seems like they have known each other forever. But wolf is an outlaw, and needs a toatlly diverse moveset. Like, you wouldnt expect krystal to have the same moves as fox? i mean she grew up on a totally different planet where she fought with a staff and lived w/ dinosaurs!
I'm sorry...did I just wake up in a world where two similar SPECIALS make two characters the same? ...I don't like this world at all. Take me back, whoever sent me here.

Another thing. Meta Knight does not need a projectile. At all. Not even close.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'm sorry...did I just wake up in a world where two similar SPECIALS make two characters the same? ...I don't like this world at all. Take me back, whoever sent me here.

Another thing. Meta Knight does not need a projectile. At all. Not even close.
ummm, there baiscally clones? However, i may not remember clearly, My wii stopped playing my brawl disc umm like last summer :/

and NO! your stuck in that world :)

sig check :)

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
Why don't you get your Wii fixed?

Also Wii 2 is heavily rumoured for next year with a new controller. If that system is as powerful as a X-Box or PS3 how do you think that might affect a future Smash Bros?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I don't see a new console coming out until maybe 2012. Microsoft has said that their "next console" is Natal. I don't know where Sony is in all of this, but I think we can expect the lifespan of these consoles to be longer than their predecessors.

There's that rumor about Brawl DLC, but I call shenanigans, but that's mostly because I'm against the whole idea of DLC in fighting games.

What did you guys think of the new specials ideas, especially Samus'?

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
God, no. He's strong enough as it is.
well, replacing his infamous Shuttle loop with mach would get rid of one of his strongest knockback moves. plus if the Tornado has as much startup lag as , say, the Falcon Punch(since it had some startup in KSS), and did minmal knockback, then he could be balanced without having to flat-out lobotomise him (see: Cap. Falcon in Brawl or Kirby in Melee.)

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
Well the DLC rumour is kinda shaky, but to be honest I don't care if you like it or not, I do really want it. No offense.

I do like your new special move variants, but that would mean spending a lot of time revamping old characters. Which is no bad thing, but they might neglect the newcomers a bit.

PS: Natal looks terrible.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@ Kuma

I don't really like your ideas for Samus very much. The specials are always neutral B, side B, up B, and down B. What you are suggesting for Samus - I think that would complicate the controls. What if the game confuses up-side B with up B or side B? Same with down-side B with down B or side B. It sounds far more complicated than Jigglypuff's rising pound technique where if you mistime it, you end up singing instead of pounding upward. What if you mistime Samus's missiles, you end up doing a Screw Attack or dropping a Bomb instead of shooting Ice Beam or Wave Beam? Also, does Samus really need all those weapons?

The same goes for Mario and Iceballs, Tanooki Tails, and Lumas? Why not give Iceballs to Toad and give Tanooki Tails to Mario for whenever you tap the X or Y button so Mario could fall slowly (although it would look weird if Mario had the tails but no raccoon ears) and add Luma to give a slightly larger hit range to Mario's aerial down move? Anyway, does Mario really need to have Iceballs, Tanooki Tails, and Lumas?

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
God, maybe it was a good think that Krystal didn't make the cut, otherwise I couldn't bear to see Krystal with a Fox/Falco moveset, as for Wolf, man he could have easily had his own moveset, c'mon he is a baddie after all why couldn't he.

Also Wii 2 is heavily rumoured for next year with a new controller. If that system is as powerful as a X-Box or PS3 how do you think that might affect a future Smash Bros?
Wii 2? I doubt it will be released next year, it's too soon, though I hope a new re-make of Brawl does come out with techs and such.... hey I can dream.

Also the BLACK KNIGHT for SBB4!!

Justblaze647

Smash Lord
Running for my life in the forests of Eelong
God, maybe it was a good think that Krystal didn't make the cut, otherwise I couldn't bear to see Krystal with a Fox/Falco moveset, as for Wolf, man he could have easily had his own moveset, c'mon he is a baddie after all why couldn't he.
[/COLOR]
Doesn't Wolf have his own moveset? Sure, his moves have some similarities with the other spacies, but that makes sense. There are from the same universe. Just like the Mario bros have similar moves, but they are not identical.

Dracospawn

Smash Journeyman
I could tell you that but then I'f have to...ummmm

Wii 2? I doubt it will be released next year, it's too soon, though I hope a new re-make of Brawl does come out with techs and such.... hey I can dream.

Also the BLACK KNIGHT for SBB4!!
And yet wolf requires a near completely different strategy.

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
Being that I'm an Earthbound fan, and knowing Nintendo hasn't shown us much love, I decided: why not include another character who isn't a main character.

How's about... THE STARMAN?!

Look at him, so proud and prideful despite his obscureness as a Nintendo character.

What an *******.

I've got some ideas about his specials, too.

Up-special: PK teleport
Specifically the spinning one. He'll spin around abit, goes up a portal, giving good verticle distance, then coming out of a portal a couple feet near the first one, giving mediocre horizontal distance and he'll come out in an explosion, sorta like sheik's.It goes in a set path.

Neutral special: Laser-beam
The alien/robot enemies you fight in the game usually shot lazers at you, so may as well give him one. It'll be like ROB's, only chargeable and not as strong.

Side special: I dunno
I'm guessing PK thunder, but uncontrollable and shaped like lightning.

Down special: Psychic shield
I'm not sure if anyone in you party could learn this technique, but I remember that some of the alien enemies had a psychic shield already active when you started a battle. Basically, he'll activate a shield that reflects energy attacks with only half the damage given back to the enemy, BUT he can still move,attack,etc, etc. I'm guessing it should only last maybe 10-15 seconds, but that's just me..

Eh, Nintendo can figure out the Final Smash, I can't think of one.

On-screen appearance: A UFO flies over the stage and beams Starman down, materializing like in the game.

Nor can I really think of any taunts... maybe a Borg reference or "DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE US".

Well, that's my crazy fanboy rant. Starman fos SSB4!

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
@ Kuma

I don't really like your ideas for Samus very much. The specials are always neutral B, side B, up B, and down B. What you are suggesting for Samus - I think that would complicate the controls. What if the game confuses up-side B with up B or side B? Same with down-side B with down B or side B. It sounds far more complicated than Jigglypuff's rising pound technique where if you mistime it, you end up singing instead of pounding upward. What if you mistime Samus's missiles, you end up doing a Screw Attack or dropping a Bomb instead of shooting Ice Beam or Wave Beam? Also, does Samus really need all those weapons?

The same goes for Mario and Iceballs, Tanooki Tails, and Lumas? Why not give Iceballs to Toad and give Tanooki Tails to Mario for whenever you tap the X or Y button so Mario could fall slowly (although it would look weird if Mario had the tails but no raccoon ears) and add Luma to give a slightly larger hit range to Mario's aerial down move? Anyway, does Mario really need to have Iceballs, Tanooki Tails, and Lumas?
Gonna second this. I'd much rather not have to muck around with Fusion Suit missiles and references to several Mario games.

For the record, I REALLY hate the feint shot idea. It's just plain awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom