• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
How about a stage for Mario's greatest enemy, BOWSER?! He hasn't had a stage in THREE freakin' SSBs! There's something wrong there. He needs a stage in the next one. Also, I believe there needs to be Metroid stage that involves an element OTHER THAN LAVA. Frigate Orpheon was a big step in the right direction, but a stage like Phendrana Drifts would be AMAZING! I was thinking of a Tallon IV stage that works like Castle Siege, which would be really cool. And definitely a Galaxy stage. That game had incredible atmospheres. Also, maybe Sanctuary Fortress, a Paper Mario stage(perhaps Bowser's castle from the first game?), more than one Kirby stage, and I was thinking about an underwater stage. I have no idea how that'd work, though, but it was a cool thought.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
By the time Smash 4 comes out, there will be two non-covered Metroid games, Other M and Prime 3, the latter which wasn't included in despite being released before hand....at least in America. To that end, I don't tbink we're going to get a Prime 1 stage, and that a better bet would be Skytown from Prime 3, and something else from Other M.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
By the time Smash 4 comes out, there will be two non-covered Metroid games, Other M and Prime 3, the latter which wasn't included in despite being released before hand....at least in America. To that end, I don't tbink we're going to get a Prime 1 stage, and that a better bet would be Skytown from Prime 3, and something else from Other M.
Echoes was also barely covered in Brawl (one song, a couple trophies), so that's very likely for a stage also...Sanctuary Fortress, anyone? As for Corruption, Phaaze would be a cool stage. It's 100% unique and might have the Aurora Unit in the background *SPOILER*

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
No, because that is Smash's charm. The point of the game is that you have these crazy things that mix up the game and make them more interesting. To lower it would be to weak the series and make it duller. There is a reason Final Destination and Battlefield exist.
Not this crap again. If over the top stages were Smash's charm then why is it that there is no right or wrong way to play the game since we have so many different options (though a hazards switch would be nice) to begin with?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Not this crap again. If over the top stages were Smash's charm then why is it that there is no right or wrong way to play the game since we have so many different options (though a hazards switch would be nice) to begin with?
I agree. I think that would be a great thing for competitive smash. For example, there would be an addtional seven stages that would probably be competitively fair if it weren't for their stage hazards (Mario Circuit, Norfair, Spear Point, Summit, Wario Ware, Port City Aero Dive, and Corneria). Right now, there's 19 stages that are technically legal with only about 9 of them being used on a regular basis. Also, with stage hazards off, two stages would be even more competitive (Pirate Ship and Pictochat). As I can see it, there's nothing bad that could come out of having this option available.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I agree. I think that would be a great thing for competitive smash. For example, there would be an addtional seven stages that would probably be competitively fair if it weren't for their stage hazards (Mario Circuit, Norfair, Spear Point, Summit, Wario Ware, Port City Aero Dive, and Corneria). Right now, there's 19 stages that are technically legal with only about 9 of them being used on a regular basis. Also, with stage hazards off, two stages would be even more competitive (Pirate Ship and Pictochat). As I can see it, there's nothing bad that could come out of having this option available.
For Mario Circuit, wouldn't there be concern regarding chain grabs?

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Not that I disagree with the fact that having more "fair" stages would be fun, but SmashChu does have a point: the crazy stages are there for a reason. Aren't two of the most "fair" and "basic" stages (FD and Battlefield) adequate enough to satisfy "competitive" players?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Not that I disagree with the fact that having more "fair" stages would be fun, but SmashChu does have a point: the crazy stages are there for a reason. Aren't two of the most "fair" and "basic" stages (FD and Battlefield) adequate enough to satisfy "competitive" players?
I have yet to fully into Smash competitively (SF is my fix for now, but I may double for Smash), but as a personal preference, I would like the option to play on more stages just to have more diversity. It gets boring watching matches on FD, BF, and Smashville a majority of the time.

I thought I'd also say this: I alternate between playing styles when it comes to Smash. Some matches I'll play on whatever stage I get on random with items on, other times, I play on neutral stages with no items on. I get bored with one or the other so I have more replay value.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
HAVE I TAUGHT YOU TWO NOTHING!!!

The post I quoted said he wants less hazards or a way to turn them off. First an foremost, this is a horrible idea since competitive players like it. We have learned from the demise of Street Fighter and the 2D fighting game genre that you never give the competitive community what they want. In fact, you you spit in their face, sales go up. Smash will do well if it ignores the competitive players, so it's obviously been doing it right for a while.

Another thing is that what do we classify as a hazard anyway? Next thing we know, people will suggesting no moving anything (not even a platform) as it messes with the game. Heck, no water either. Makes the game unfair. Besides, most matches are fought on FD, Battlefield or Smashville anyway. Why does it matter?

Remember that stages add variety to the game. It makes each stage a new experiences. To even think about removing those elements destroys the stage's personality. To most players, the stages are defined by what happens. Summit is defined by it's fish. Pictochat is defined by the drawings. Castle Siege is defined by it changing. The stages, in the player's mind are determined by how they interact with it. It would kick out all the fun of them.

Plus, why program that into the game when there is very little reason to (the hazard removal I mean).

Also, let's not kid ourselves. The Smash Bros. competitive community is looked down on by their ban happy attitude. I mean, they've been trying to ban a character. They would still ban most of the stages even if they weren't as bad. If not that, they'd still only play on three of them. So, no reason to do it.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master

The post I quoted said he wants less hazards or a way to turn them off. First an foremost, this is a horrible idea since competitive players like it. We have learned from the demise of Street Fighter and the 2D fighting game genre that you never give the competitive community what they want. In fact, you you spit in their face, sales go up. Smash will do well if it ignores the competitive players, so it's obviously been doing it right for a while.
Hm.

@ flyinfilipino:

Uh, because it's nice to have options? Also, there's the matter of counterpicking too.
Oh, I agree with you and Kuma; I just wanted to know if you thought there was some other advantage to having more "basic" stages to choose from besides just having more.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Another thing is that what do we classify as a hazard anyway? Next thing we know, people will suggesting no moving anything (not even a platform) as it messes with the game. Heck, no water either. Makes the game unfair. Besides, most matches are fought on FD, Battlefield or Smashville anyway. Why does it matter?

Remember that stages add variety to the game. It makes each stage a new experiences. To even think about removing those elements destroys the stage's personality. To most players, the stages are defined by what happens. Summit is defined by it's fish. Pictochat is defined by the drawings. Castle Siege is defined by it changing. The stages, in the player's mind are determined by how they interact with it. It would kick out all the fun of them.

Plus, why program that into the game when there is very little reason to (the hazard removal I mean).

Also, let's not kid ourselves. The Smash Bros. competitive community is looked down on by their ban happy attitude. I mean, they've been trying to ban a character. They would still ban most of the stages even if they weren't as bad. If not that, they'd still only play on three of them. So, no reason to do it.
1. This is a terrible statement because the competitive community heavily contributes to the longeveity of games. When most of the casual audience because burned out on a game and moves on to the next big thing, you still have the competitive gamers that keeps interest up and helps with sales long after the initial release.

2. It's pretty clear what a hazard is. There are basically two kinds of hazards, those that disrupt competitive play and those that don't. Those that don't are usually predictible. For example, the claw, cannonballs, and lazer on Halberd are predictible and don't take too much effort to avoid. The ones on Spear Pillar give little warning and can kill you because of it. If you're recovering and the controls suddenly become reversed, you're pretty much SOL. The same goes for the hazards on Wario Ware. As I pointed out, there's 6 extra stages that would likely be neutral or counterpick stages if it wasn't for their hazards.

3. Contrary to popular belief, competitive players don't just play on the five neutral stages (FD, BF, Yoshi's Island *Brawl*, Smashville, and Lylat Cruise). Shocking, yes; there is such thing as counterpicking.

4. Fun is subjective. Smash is a game about giving players different options so I don't understand what's wrong about giving players the option to chose to turn off stage hazards. It's not that big of a deal, hackers learned how to "freeze" stages in the early stages of hacking Brawl so the programming behind it is minimal at best.

5. Demise of Street Fighter? Wait, what? I haven't a clue what you're talking about and, if anything, Street Fighter still has the appeal that it does BECAUSE of its competitive community.

@ Flyinfilipino:

About neutral stages, they can still be used as counterpicks against certain characters and some characters have more of an advantage on them. They're only called neutral because most characters aren't given a huge advantage or disadvantage on them. Counterpicks are generally a stage where certain characters are given much bigger advantages or disadvantages based on certain elements like how Ness and Ganondorf heavily benefit from Pirate Ship and Delfino Plaza because of the water.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Because competitive players are the ONLY people that get mad with your entire flow of gameplay being screwed up because the stage flips upside down and beams come flying from the side. I've heard my little cousins complain about just almost every "hazard" in the game, and their favorite game is Wii Sports. If that isn't the opposite of competitive hardcore then what?

Changing off hazards would do no more than changing of items, some will turn some off, some won't turn some off.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
It's kind of hard when you keep trying to force feed us your way of play while giving sales cards as well.

Wow, so by that logic, random tripping, a feature hated by everybody, should be kept in because the competitive community hates it as well? Yes, it's true that the fighting game genre declined SALES WISE because they had to catch up with vets which caused things to be too complex, but to say that developers should turn their backs on the people who are the true fans of their games would be a gigantic mistake.

I consider a hazard anything that occurs in the stage that can inflict damage on you such as the fire on Norfair. Water, last I checked doesn't kill you. As long as no part of a stage can kill or hurt you, I consider that to be a fair stage.

Like I said before, I'm all for diversity, and you increase this diversity by giving us the option to turn off hazards.

Well, why not? We already have the option to turn off items, and have several different ways to play. Why not add another to the mix?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
You are both wrong
1. This is a terrible statement because the competitive community heavily contributes to the longeveity of games. When most of the casual audience because burned out on a game and moves on to the next big thing, you still have the competitive gamers that keeps interest up and helps with sales long after the initial release.
No. Most fans, even those outside the competitive community, play the game a lot. Check the Nintendo channel and you'll see the game is still being played. You basically see that "casual" audience as being the "******" audience and having a short attention span.

Also, yes Street Fighter has long since crashed and burned. The fighting game world is ruled by Tekken and Smash Bros. Street Fighter is a niche. I can go into detail if you wish.

Wow, so by that logic, random tripping, a feature hated by everybody, should be kept in because the competitive community hates it as well? Yes, it's true that the fighting game genre declined SALES WISE because they had to catch up with vets which caused things to be too complex, but to say that developers should turn their backs on the people who are the true fans of their games would be a gigantic mistake.
UHHH, what!? No, your wrong. The point was that is they focus on the competitive community, they'll leave the weaker fans in the dust. You say they should listen to the competitive players because it's wrong to leave fans behind but to make what was suggested you'll have to leave fans anyway. A sale is really just a number that says how many people bought the product. Sales numbers are people when you get down to it. If you can increase sales, this means you've gotten more people playing it. Increasing sales means increasing fans. Leaving the competitive players in the dust will help to get new people as the barriers will be removed for these weaker players. As long as the content stays fresh, then you've got a winning formula.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
UHHH, what!? No, your wrong. The point was that is they focus on the competitive community, they'll leave the weaker fans in the dust. You say they should listen to the competitive players because it's wrong to leave fans behind but to make what was suggested you'll have to leave fans anyway. A sale is really just a number that says how many people bought the product. Sales numbers are people when you get down to it. If you can increase sales, this means you've gotten more people playing it. Increasing sales means increasing fans. Leaving the competitive players in the dust will help to get new people as the barriers will be removed for these weaker players. As long as the content stays fresh, then you've got a winning formula.
Yes, you'll have more players, but how many of them are going to be long term players? Like Fatman said earlier, you can have a case where X game is trendy and then people will later move on to the next big game. Yes, Brawl has lots of hours logged in, but can we determine how spread out those hours are? You can have a small minority that logs in several hours.

I'm also tired of your concern for weaker players.Everyone starts off sucking when they play a game for the first time. People get better by playing people who are as good or better than them. In this genre, it's eat or get eaten.

I'm all for removing barriers for beginners, but only some barriers, not all. The only barrier that should be present is the control learning curve in general. Afterwords, you have characters and their learning curves along with using game mechanics wisely. There, you're on your own unless you ask for advice from people, which is more often than not how people get better.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I don't think hazards should have a off switch, since what qualifies as a hazard varies to a degree, and certain stages are built in a way that it can't be theoretically turned off at all. If there was a hazard switch, then I assure you that we would suffere in the variety of stages. Plus, there is already a fair number of stages without any hazards what so ever.

And I don't think there's a particular incentive for the Smash developers to make a game that lasts several years, since its not like there's a fee or anything from people who keep playing the game again and again. While its a nice thought to have a game that people can keep on playing forever and ever (even if its just a diehard faction) its not a particularly moving goal from a business perspective.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
You are both wrong

No. Most fans, even those outside the competitive community, play the game a lot. Check the Nintendo channel and you'll see the game is still being played. You basically see that "casual" audience as being the "******" audience and having a short attention span.

Also, yes Street Fighter has long since crashed and burned. The fighting game world is ruled by Tekken and Smash Bros. Street Fighter is a niche. I can go into detail if you wish.
The Nintendo Channel says how long the games have been played on average. You have the number of hours clocked in, not the time span the game has played for. Basically, it's recording the playtimes of everyone that has an internet connection and plays Brawl. Before my Wii got fried in an electrical storm back in August, I had probably over 1,000 hours clocked in. I spent a lot of time practicing for online competitions. As it stands, I believe the average is something like 74-78 hours per person. For a game like Brawl, that's kind of low especially when some of the accomplishments require you to play 100+ hours. With this being said, something is heavily bringing down the average and that something is people who played Brawl for like a month or two, got bored and decided to play newer games. It has nothing to do with people being ********, it's just how most people who play video games are. Outside of competitive gaming, you usually don't have a large number of people who will continue to play a game religiously after the first month. You beat it or you decide that getting 100% is not worth your time and move on.

Street Fighter is still a million seller franchise so I wouldn't call that "crash and burn." If you want to talk about crash and burn, look at Crash Bandicoot or Spyro. Street Fighter 2 is still going decently strong competitively despite being nearly 20 years old. Also, Tekken? That's a niche fighter. You might as well be talking about Bloody Roar. Tekken 6 has only sold about 1/8 of a million while, in comparison, Street Fighter IV has sold nearly 11 times that amount. Also, Smash isn't a leader in anything. In all honesty, Street Fighter 2 probably has more of a competitive prescence worldwide than it and I'd even go as far as saying MUGEN probably has a bigger competitive scene than Smash.

@ pieman:

Again, there's always the option of stage freezes like hackers for Brawl+ have done with Wario Ware and Norfair. I think Smash is like most "true" fighting games because the developers do seem to understand that people will play the game for years. In Sakurai's journal, he acknowledged the competitive community so it's not like they're a small group that's not even on the radar; they should be kept in mind when developing a game and allow them certain options too.

Also, as I said before, there's only five neutral stages which is pretty a small number. Some stages could be neutral if the hazards were turned off which, in a sense, contributes to the balance of the game overall for the competitive players. Really, it's a much, much easier way to try to make the game more balanced without having to revert to something like individual character balancing, which would definately slow down development as a whole.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Honestly, really? I doubt that given MUGEN's brokenness.
There are a lot of characters that are broken but there are a lot of characters that are perfectly fine. The number of playable characters for MUGEN is well into the thousands so, yeah, it's natural that there are going to be some freakishly broken characters like Omega Tom Hanks, Weegee, Orca, Chuck Norris, etc. MUGEN is almost entirely fan made so, yeah, people are bound to go crazy with their creations.

@Smashchu

Has the Casual scene sufered fromt he option of turning off items? No.

And I'm referring to the stages whose hazards don't make the game playable (Not fair, playable) If I turn on items and go play on WarioWare it's still not much fun because every 5 seconds I have to freeze, or jump really high, or avoid getting wet. I don't mind if there are lava, water, even the Arwings on Corneria don't bother me. It's the ones that make the level, or sections of the level, unplayable. This only applies to Mario Circuit, The F-Zero stage, and WarioWare. The hazards in the other levels are tolerable.

Also, How come anything that can help a competetive player, regardless of a casuals control over it, will destory the franchise. If hazard switch is an option, alls the casuals have to do is not turn it off...

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Spear Pillar legal from it? I lol'd. Bottom of the stage wishes to have a word with you.
Also corneria has that evil ledge part.
Oh and Mario Circuit has already been banned, part of the reasoning with Norfair is because It's a MK Camp happy stage.

I don't really care If there's a hazard turn off feature; I mean It could be good, but I don't really see it doing a lot, and you come down to the debate of what a hazard truely is. A lot of stages would still be easily banned. How about being more careful with Chaingrabs the next time If we want less stages banned just to start with?

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
Well that Donkey Kong construction site stage would be cool without hazards. But most of my favourite stages have hazards and I love them anyway. Also if competitive players like the game, then the more the merrier.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Spear Pillar legal from it? I lol'd. Bottom of the stage wishes to have a word with you.
Oh and Mario Circuit has already been banned, part of the reasoning with Norfair is because It's a MK Camp happy stage.

I don't really care If there's a hazard turn off feature; I mean It could be good, but I don't really see it doing a lot, and you come down to the debate of what a hazard truely is. A lot of stages would still be easily banned. How about being more careful with Chaingrabs the next time If we want less stages banned just to start with?
Hahaha MK camping stage...anyways, chaingrabs are far cheaper than any hazard, in my opinion. So are moves that can do infinite damage in certain spots (Ivysaur's hold A attack, for example.) Hazards can be avoided somewhat simply, whereas those two are impossible to get out of.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Yes, you'll have more players, but how many of them are going to be long term players? Like Fatman said earlier, you can have a case where X game is trendy and then people will later move on to the next big game. Yes, Brawl has lots of hours logged in, but can we determine how spread out those hours are? You can have a small minority that logs in several hours.
Most Smash players play the game forevger. You can talk to many people and they'll tell you that they stil;l play Smash. Aagin, you're saying that these peoploe don't play the game long enough.

The competitive players will always buy and play the next Smash Bros. This is a given. People complained about Brawl, and there is still a competitive scene.

I'm also tired of your concern for weaker players.Everyone starts off sucking when they play a game for the first time. People get better by playing people who are as good or better than them. In this genre, it's eat or get eaten.
And look how unsuccessful that model has been. Tekken and Smash bros rule fighting games. Tekken isn't to hard to get into. I've played some real competitive people ans did OK. In Street Fighter, I'd get creamed. 3D fighting games are easier then 2D ones, which is why 2D fighters are niche. I've already explained in detail how Street Fighter has gone and died and is on life support thanks to competitive players. Smash is still healthy and kicking, and so is Tekken.

Easy to enter games is what defines multiplayer. Rock Band is a lot easier then Guitar Hero because it is a party game. Wii Sports, Mario Kart, even the original Street Fighter, are all easy to pick up games.

I'm all for removing barriers for beginners, but only some barriers, not all. The only barrier that should be present is the control learning curve in general. Afterwords, you have characters and their learning curves along with using game mechanics wisely. There, you're on your own unless you ask for advice from people, which is more often than not how people get better.
Basically, you're advocating learning curves. The point is to make the game as easy as it can be. The player shouldn't have a hard time controlling the game. It should be seamless. The only learning at that point is the game. Street Fighter 2 was seamless as well. The only hard part were the specials, but the game rewarded you for being able to do one, something that feels lost in fighting games today.

Street Fighter, in total, has sold 21.66 games out of 23 games in total, meaning an average of 940K per game. Smash Bros has sold 21.33 million games between 3 games, making the average a whopping 7.126 million games. Tekken has sold 28.87 games between 9 games, making the average 3.20million games. Street Fighter is also older then both and has far more games, and it only competes with Smash Bros, a series with three games. Most of those games are Street Fighter 2. Street Fighter has been dead for a while.

The Nintendo Channel says how long the games have been played on average. You have the number of hours clocked in, not the time span the game has played for. Basically, it's recording the playtimes of everyone that has an internet connection and plays Brawl. Before my Wii got fried in an electrical storm back in August, I had probably over 1,000 hours clocked in. I spent a lot of time practicing for online competitions. As it stands, I believe the average is something like 74-78 hours per person. For a game like Brawl, that's kind of low especially when some of the accomplishments require you to play 100+ hours. With this being said, something is heavily bringing down the average and that something is people who played Brawl for like a month or two, got bored and decided to play newer games. It has nothing to do with people being ********, it's just how most people who play video games are. Outside of competitive gaming, you usually don't have a large number of people who will continue to play a game religiously after the first month. You beat it or you decide that getting 100% is not worth your time and move on.
All games will lose playtime, but Smash is still being played by a lot of people. The Nintendo Channel data is good, people are online, and if you ask around, you'll still find people playing the game with friends every weekend. Melee easily lasted for 7 years with or without competitive players. This is why people craved the next Smash Bros so much. Everyone and there mother was excited. It would not have gone over so well if people only played it for a month or two.

This is the nature of multiplayer games. They get played a lot. People still play Starcraft. They still play Halo. They play Mario Kart. Smash Bros is no exception.

Street Fighter is still a million seller franchise so I wouldn't call that "crash and burn." If you want to talk about crash and burn, look at Crash Bandicoot or Spyro. Street Fighter 2 is still going decently strong competitively despite being nearly 20 years old. Also, Tekken? That's a niche fighter. You might as well be talking about Bloody Roar. Tekken 6 has only sold about 1/8 of a million while, in comparison, Street Fighter IV has sold nearly 11 times that amount. Also, Smash isn't a leader in anything. In all honesty, Street Fighter 2 probably has more of a competitive prescence worldwide than it and I'd even go as far as saying MUGEN probably has a bigger competitive scene than Smash.[/quote]
You don't know much about fighting games.

Fighting games sales data

Notice how Smash Bros and Tekken dominate the top stops, along with WWF games. Street Fighter 2 is in the top spots, but no other version. If you want to find it, you'd have to scroll down to #31, and then #40. All four of those games are Street Fighter 2. The lowest in the top 50 is WWF WrestleMania 2000 at 1.48. All other versions of Street Fighter have been below 1.48. Street Fighter 4 did decent, but is no where close to Street Fighter 2's numbers. Heck, every version listed (as some probably are not) beat Street Fighter 4 on one console.

Street Fighter has died a long time ago. Street Fighter 4 helps, but it still can't compare to 2. Tekken still stays strong at ~3 million for 4 and 5. Despite it has fallen in years (from ~6 million with 2 and 3), it can compete. Tekken also has a strong competitive base, meaning that the lower slaes could be increasing barriers.

@Smashchu

Has the Casual scene sufered fromt he option of turning off items? No.

And I'm referring to the stages whose hazards don't make the game playable (Not fair, playable) If I turn on items and go play on WarioWare it's still not much fun because every 5 seconds I have to freeze, or jump really high, or avoid getting wet. I don't mind if there are lava, water, evplen the Arwings on Corneria don't bother me. It's the ones that make the level, or sections of the level, unayable. This only applies to Mario Circuit, The F-Zero stage, and WarioWare. The hazards in the other levels are tolerable.
To the first part, understand this has a much bigger effect. Items simple span on a stage, so turning them off or changing their levels. Levels are written into the game, so how they act is a part of them. It would require more coding and probably longer load times to turn them off.

All stages are playable, you don't know how to play them. The fight never stops, and if you think that, let me get your friend code and stomp you on Warioware. When it says "Don't Move" you can still move. It's one way to take advantage of the situation. Or, why don't you try to knock players out under that umbrella, or try to get them hurt from the falling arrows.

If only three levels are bothering you, then I do not see the point in programming something. Most levels are OK, just that competitive players will ban stages before they ban a broken technique or tactic. Even with hazzards off, you won't play most of them anyway.

Also, How come anything that can help a competetive player, regardless of a casuals control over it, will destory the franchise. If hazard switch is an option, alls the casuals have to do is not turn it off...
Long story short: adding things competitive players likes add barriers. Adding things they hate removes barriers and can actually add more fun (Warioware for instance, which is a really popular stage). Fewer barriers will mean more people will be able to play your game.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Most Smash players play the game forevger. You can talk to many people and they'll tell you that they stil;l play Smash. Aagin, you're saying that these peoploe don't play the game long enough.
Can you clarify what you mean in your first sentence? Are we talking about people who every now and then will play Smash for fun or the people that play it every day?

I'm not saying these people don't play the game long enough, but the hours you posted are simply an average. You have incredibly large numbers and incredibly small numbers in there.

The competitive players will always buy and play the next Smash Bros. This is a given. People complained about Brawl, and there is still a competitive scene.
Will they buy it, yes, but there's no guarantee that they'll go competitive. Look at Brawl, a good amount of people went back to Melee because they were disappointed with Brawl.

And look how unsuccessful that model has been. Tekken and Smash bros rule fighting games. Tekken isn't to hard to get into. I've played some real competitive people ans did OK. In Street Fighter, I'd get creamed. 3D fighting games are easier then 2D ones, which is why 2D fighters are niche. I've already explained in detail how Street Fighter has gone and died and is on life support thanks to competitive players. Smash is still healthy and kicking, and so is Tekken.
Yet that model is how the world has worked under since the dawn of time. Tekken and Smash only rule the fighting genre if you're looking at this from a sales perspective. Other than that, it's entirely subjective.

Another thing in this quote that bugs me is that you're saying 3D fighting games are easier than 2D ones and you also seem to imply that Smash is a 3D fighter when it's really 2.5D. 3D fighters and 2D fighters, while similar in fundamentals, from my experience, control very differently from each other. Seriously, getting a Tekken vet to play Street Fighter or vice versa is not an easy transition.

Easy to enter games is what defines multiplayer. Rock Band is a lot easier then Guitar Hero because it is a party game. Wii Sports, Mario Kart, even the original Street Fighter, are all easy to pick up games.
Easy to learn and easy to master are two very different animals. Smash already does the former.

Basically, you're advocating learning curves. The point is to make the game as easy as it can be. The player shouldn't have a hard time controlling the game. It should be seamless. The only learning at that point is the game. Street Fighter 2 was seamless as well. The only hard part were the specials, but the game rewarded you for being able to do one, something that feels lost in fighting games today.
I'll say what n88 said to you a while back: You're saying that games should be easy as hell?

Street Fighter, in total, has sold 21.66 games out of 23 games in total, meaning an average of 940K per game. Smash Bros has sold 21.33 million games between 3 games, making the average a whopping 7.126 million games. Tekken has sold 28.87 games between 9 games, making the average 3.20million games. Street Fighter is also older then both and has far more games, and it only competes with Smash Bros, a series with three games. Most of those games are Street Fighter 2. Street Fighter has been dead for a while.
Stop using the sales card, now. There's more than one way to making money through a videogame and I'm not talking DLC.

spyrl-9

Smash Rookie
I don't really see anything wrong with "hazard" stages.
As long as not All of them have hazards, it's a nice to have the option to Choose a "crazy" one for some interesting fights.
That's why we have both types of stages. A little something for everyone, for every situation.
There's even the option to choose what stages you want available when you pick Random.
If you don't like "hazard stages", don't pick them. But, they're there if you Do want to play on one.

I'd say keep making Both types of stages but, that's just my opinion...

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
I don't really see anything wrong with "hazard" stages.
As long as not All of them have hazards, it's a nice to have the option to Choose a "crazy" one for some interesting fights.
That's why we have both types of stages. A little something for everyone, for every situation.
There's even the option to choose what stages you want available when you pick Random.
If you don't like "hazard stages", don't pick them. But, they're there if you Do want to play on one.

I'd say keep making Both types of stages but, that's just my opinion...
I'd agree, for competitive fights, use FD or Battlefield, but for other fights, hazards are fun. And right, if you don't like it, don't pick it. STOP COMPLAINING

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The easy solution is: Kepp the hazard levels, keep the regular levels. Zen-perfect balance...
That's not what we're saying: we're saying have the options to turn off the hazards for stages if you want.

The bottom half of Spear Pillar isn't that bad and could be compared to the lower half of Luigi's Mansion. I'm assuming you're talking about camping and chain grab concerns but, again, there's already a legal counterpick stage that's just like that.

I can't imagine Corneria being that bad either. In all honesty, it was pretty much banned because of Lucas and Ness being able to heal on the stage and Mr. Game and Watch being able to fill up the bucket. Before it was banned, it was considered to be a Metaknight counter because of the low ceiling and actually helped a lot of the low tier characters because of the short recovery distance. You have three edges on the stage and the one I'm assuming you're talking about can be gone underneath. If you're talking about the gun, that could easily be controlled by labeling it as stalling thus banning it.

Metaknight can plank on pretty much every stage (including all the neutrals) so Norfair's bigger problem is the lava waves and how they quite literally break apart fights because of how much space they take up.

Again, hazards that aren't competitively sound are pretty easy to define so I don't understand why there are people who suggest that there is so much ambiguity surrounding this. Stages don't only get banned because of their hazards but, when they do, they are pretty obvious. If I were to say why most stages have been banned, it's because of walk off stages and stage hazards.

Mowrt620

Smash Journeyman
In a box filled with peas 300 feet below ground
That's not what we're saying: we're saying have the options to turn off the hazards for stages if you want.

The bottom half of Spear Pillar isn't that bad and could be compared to the lower half of Luigi's Mansion. I'm assuming you're talking about camping and chain grab concerns but, again, there's already a legal counterpick stage that's just like that.

I can't imagine Corneria being that bad either. In all honesty, it was pretty much banned because of Lucas and Ness being able to heal on the stage and Mr. Game and Watch being able to fill up the bucket. Before it was banned, it was considered to be a Metaknight counter because of the low ceiling and actually helped a lot of the low tier characters because of the short recovery distance. You have three edges on the stage and the one I'm assuming you're talking about can be gone underneath. If you're talking about the gun, that could easily be controlled by labeling it as stalling thus banning it.

Metaknight can plank on pretty much every stage (including all the neutrals) so Norfair's bigger problem is the lava waves and how they quite literally break apart fights because of how much space they take up.

Again, hazards that aren't competitively sound are pretty easy to define so I don't understand why there are people who suggest that there is so much ambiguity surrounding this. Stages don't only get banned because of their hazards but, when they do, they are pretty obvious. If I were to say why most stages have been banned, it's because of walk off stages and stage hazards.
Oh, lol, misheard. Thats not a horrible idea i guess....

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Are you guys seriously talking about this? We are running out of ideas....
Hmm...New gameplay topic: Way's to make team mode/doubles more interesting (Like the team healer)

Discuss.

edit:

For the rest of the parts, I didn't know that, but still, LM Is CP Worthy because It's Cave of Life and all CAN Be broken.

Hero Dude

Smash Journeyman
LOL Just like how Sakurai ignored all the Sonic fanboys who begged and whined for Sonic to be added and ultimately ended up adding him after Nintendo pretty much ordered him to put Sonic in? Let's not forget that Sakurai had Snake hate Sonic for no reason.

If Sakurai is going to add an Animal Crossing character, he might as well make a Nintendog playable, too.

About Baby Mario, he's playable whenever Yoshi picks up the star in his games. Have you played both Yoshi's Island games? For SSB4, he already has his own Final Smash from Brawl that I don't think Sakurai would want to change into a transforming move where Yoshi turns into an egg and lets the player control Baby Mario for a short time, much like Wario's Final Smash.

Sakurai could, of course, make Baby Mario a completely separate character from Yoshi even though they are in the same slot in the character select screen if Baby Mario is playable only if the player selects Baby Mario instead of Yoshi on the character select screen, just like how the player can select Sheik or one of Red's Pokemon in Brawl, only there are no transformations like Zelda's or Samus's.

@ Pieman

I agree with you about Kamek. At least Baby Mario and Baby Luigi have proved themselves that they can engaqe in combat. I can't say the same about the other babies except for Baby Bowser and even then, Bowser Jr. would be a better choice over Baby Bowser. I am not saying I support Bowser Jr. but I think he is the better choice over Baby Bowser (and I support Toad over Bowser Jr.).

Edit: I must also remind you, Pieman, that while Kamek in Japan may be a name for a generic enemy but it is also a name for one individual Kamek. Generic Kameks are in Super Mario World but the individual Kamek appears as a main villain in Yoshi's Island games and Mario & Luigi 2. It is the same thing with Toad and Yoshi. Toad the Toad. Yoshi the Yoshi. Kamek the Kamek (aka Kamek the Magikoopa).

And people can also decide not to change their minds, too. You still want Kumatora. I still want Duck Hunt Dog. Fatmanonice still wants Geno. Smashchu still don't want Tingle. Just to name a few examples.

About Sukapon, Sakurai already turned him down for Melee but some fans insisted that there were just programming issues that prevented Sukapon's inclusion. Well, Sakurai had ample time to come up with a way to resolve those issues for Brawl and he still didn't include Sukapon anyway. He wasn't even considered for Brawl. Programming issues, my foot.

I do not care if Wolf acts differently from Fox and Falco. He still uses the same special moves Fox and Falco use. I think that when we talk about clones, I believe we were referring to similar special moves (including the Final Smashes) and not the regular moves (the A moves).

I have something to back that up. I look at all the Forbidden Seven and conclude that all of them except Mewtwo and possibly Dixie Kong would be clones.

Dr. Mario = clone of Mario
Roy = clone of Marth
Pra_Mai (Prasle and Mainan aka Plusle & Minun) = sounds like a Pichu replacement and clones of Pikachu
Toon Zelda = clone of Zelda
Toon Sheik = clone of Sheik

If Sakurai added two more clones, Lucas and Wolf, in Brawl and replaced one clone with another (Young Link and Toon Link), why would most of the Forbidden Seven not be clones?

Also, if Toon Link ended up a clone of Link, it won't make sense if Toon Zelda did not end up a clone of Zelda and the same goes for Toon Sheik and Sheik. Why would Toon Zelda not be a clone if Toon Link ended up a clone?

Impossible? Just because Toon Link does not use kicks does not mean Toon Sheik (aka Tetra) can't use kicks. There is a difference between "don't" and "can't". Sakurai would have found a way to work around Toon Sheik's short legs. But like I said before, when we talk about clones we were referring to their special moves and not their regular moves so it doesn't matter if Toon Sheik kicks or not, she would still have been a clone of Sheik when it comes to her special moves.

@ Part directed to me: Why would he be partnered with baby Luigi, when he REALLY deosn't do anything? That certainly wouldn't be staying true to Yoshi's island.

I completely forgot about that star, sorry.
How do you know he ignored them? Nobody said that. How do you know he didn't even THINK about adding Sonic. Or maybe, he was just too lazy to approach SEGA.

What I am saying is that baby Mario really doesn't do anything. Literally.
Crosser and Nook have atleast done things that could inspire moves, baby Mario sits through the whole game. baby Luigi doesn't even do that.

Partnering him up with Luigi or even putting him in Mario's clothes would be making him more of a Mario rep than a Yoshi rep. I heard someone say: Like in M&L PiT.

Yes, I have played both. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom