• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Actually; If we get say a 45 Character roster and mother got Claus added on, we'd have 1/15th of the roster being mother.

In brawl 1/17th of the roster is mother.

I'd write a pretty good wall about the overpopulation rule and priority and whatnot, but I have a feeling that SmashChu's going to grab a multi-bottle rocket, Cafe's going to bring out ness with a hankerchief, Toise is going to get his spider mech, You'll get Kuma out, FMOI/Pie will come in saying "NO 3 REPS" And before you know It I'll with 0 HP. :laugh:
What does that mean?

Anyway, after listening to this song, I can visualize Rosalina being a playable character. Whether or not she's likely means nothing to me. If it can happen, it can happen.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Edit for kuma: What I mean by that joke is how you seem to like kumatora more as a character (Judging by your screenname) But you haven't really brought up any debates or anything unlike Toise/Cafe/SmashChu/etc.

THE OVERPOPULATION RULE BLAH
First off; Before I start here, let me state that If It did come down to this, I would prefer series like F-Zero and Metroid receiving another rep than Starfox getting a fourth or Mother given a third.

Now that I've brought Krystal and Claus discussion back along with a few others, I think It's time to look at the roster in general.

Let's just say Smash 4 gets a 10 Technical (As in say Lucario's removed, some new poke will replace him) new characters - No DLC Factored into this until future info.

From what we know; It seems likely that with two developers having interest that we'd at least see 1 New Third-Party rep. (Megaman plz) It's a likely situation that we receive two more NES/WTF/Whatever you wanna call em characters (Little Mac and Sukapon plz), and of course, at least one new franchise (Isaac plz)

These lead us to:
36.Retro Dude
37.Retro cool stuff bro
38.Third-Party
39.New Series
46-49 (Possibilities; Of course roster number could possibly be even lower than 45. Not likely but I'm just adding this space here

Of course; There's always possibility of another Third-Party/Smaller Series getting some representation, but assuming the spots left is about 6 or so breaking the priority tree down: (Since most likely nobody is going to get a jump by two)
Bowser Jr/Possibly someone else (Mario)
Mewtwo/eh idk (Pokemon)
Tingle (LoZ)
Ridley (Metroid)
Claus (Mother)
King K. Rool (DK)
Samurai Goroh (F-Zero)
Mona (Wario)
Some new dude from FE/Roy (FE)
Krystal (Starfox)

Now; After breaking it down to a bare minimum It looks a lot better - Doesn't it? This game brings a bigger opportunity than just completing Kirby once and for all. You can bring up "lol sales figures" But fact is that SF Has three reps while Mario technically lost a rep. This is on terms of balancing each series and pleasing every fanbase.

However, it does still play against claus. If you add in Claus but forget Samurai Goroh (THIS IS A HYPOTHETICAL EXAMPLE) Then will EB Fans be happy? Oh heck yes. Will F-Zero fans be happy? Nope. Left in the dust for the fourth time.

So thus by hypothetical theory, there's a bit more lose ends that sakurai has to clean up before going straight away to claus. Ok, maybe not have to. Does he If he wants to please fans of each installed franchise in smash that has potential for another rep? Yes. Can he just go straight away and add Claus before K.Rool/Ridley/Insert someone here? With his power yes, but with his idea of balance, It's not likely.

Which brings me back to my theory that brawl's roster was trying to keep most fans of installed franchises happy. Looking at brawl:
Mother got another rep
Metroid technically got ZSS And some cool stages
Kirby got 2 Reps
Starfox got another rep
FE Lost one sorta but they got one with a unique moveset and there most requested at that
F-Zero...Eh I can't really speak much here, but It did get one of the best stages in my personal opinion in brawl.
Pokemon - Gets there main character in thus 3 popular poke got in instead of one, and It managed to get Lucario.
LoZ - Well Toon Link got a rechange.
Mario - Got a ton of stages still.

I'm rather hoping the idea stays similar, as It's nice If Isaac gets added to see him alone for one/a few games and then GS Fans get more and more of there viable reps (Just an example)

The Third Koopa's right in that I would actually go and say that EB/Mother doesn't need another character...because it really just doesn't.
How I knew you were going to jump on that one is that you said FE May possibly stay with two (Which I agree on) See; I somehow knew that You/SmashChu/Toise/ScoobyCafe/FMOI/Kuma were going to manage to jump on me with this subject. :laugh: And the word need is a rather iffy subject. A lot of suggestions we don't particularly "Need" To be fair.

The fact that it only has three games and two characters is actually quite a bit much in of itself.
Yet again, Mother has viable characters that are more workable and more interesting than other franchises that have been there since Smash 64, and you realize it helped the creation of pokemon, yes?

I'm just saying that two characters in the first place here wasn't much onto itself, considering It's been there since Smash 64 and is one of the more requests you see with a rather large fanbase (almost EVERY ROSTER I SAW HAD MORE THAN ONE MOTHER REP DURING BRAWL) And to be fair; The series has been cheated out of a lot in the US, so this is a good tribute to them. Sure we'll see Bowser Jr or Mewtwo cross onto another game - But when will mother fans in america get anything asides from smash?

For a long time: Never. It's been that way ever since Smash 64.

Sorry about going on about this; I just hate it when people go "OMG IT HAS THE SAME REPS AS DK OMG THAT SHOULDN'T HAPPEN SAKURAI IS BIASED BECAUSE IT ONLY HAS 3 GAMES LOL"

In addition, I don't see why it would be Claus when Porkey makes so much more sense. Now granted I could be wrong about this, since I havn't really played those games, but isn't Porkey one of the main bad guys in both games? Shouldn't that take priority over a the Masked Man?
I'll sum things up: (Spoiler blocks ahead)

Earthbound:
In this game, he gets ness to the fly that tells ness he's one of the chosen ones (Not really important as a villian), He takes the helicopter so ness has a somewhat harder time at getting the sound stones, and he turns giygas machine on (Which any idiot could do)

Mother 3:
This one's rather more debateable, so instead I'll use a bit of a star wars analogy:
Claus - Essentially, the Darth Vader of it.
Porky - That dude who controls Darth Vader, causes more in the plot then that to be fair.

The two have rather similar roles, but in a simple plot summary:
After M2, Porky travels through time to never ages, tho throughout the game you have NO CLUE That he's the villian until the end (Asides from some mentions, which in the previous game he was just called pokey - You can assume a lot out of that)

Lucas's mom dies, then claus tries to fight of the drago while lucas doesn't say anything and claus learns PSI From a magypsy. Claus ends up in a bad condition, pig army takes him in while lucas spends a lot of the game doing various tasks and looking for claus. At one point you are informed that you have to pull seven needles, so you go out pulling those finding the masked man in a race to pull them as well.

After the first fight against him, you are invited to New Pork City, then you have to go through the 100 floored building to end up finding porky (WHO YOU ONLY KNOW OF NOW AND WHO HE IS...Heck the only giveaway to anyone who hasn't read spoilers that the two people are the same person is the earthbound small nostalgia trip you take.

You end up facing porky then in a 1v1 battle you face Claus and pull the final needle

So while I believe the two are pretty even on plot terms considering M3 has a more fleshed out story by far than the other two; Claus appears more and actually has more of an influence. Earthbound isn't really much to go off of.

So logically from the three If you added up the roles together, It'd be something like: Giygas > Claus > Porky (But this one is more slight than the other one) - Of course, it isn't by that much of a margin, so If sakurai really hates us all he could possibly take the time to program porky over other hard characters and say "SUCK THIS EB FANS!" But he seems to know what they want well. (I MISS FOURSIDE)

In addition, I would think that having a fighter in a spidermech would be a lot more interesting than the Masked Man's pottential abilities which seem quite generic.
How does it seem "Generic"? He has a lot in his arsenal as stated previously with a bunch of work for an interesting chatacter, along with the fact that he wouldn't be that hard to program unlike our other two main villians throughout mother. I guess I really haven't gone into much detail but...

Sure, you can say "Bombs! That's not unique! So boring! Link has it!" But something to note is that Claus's bombs latch ONTO Enemies, meaning he could have the potential to put a given small ammount of time on them to blow up, thus being able to combo afterwards.

I can't however purely say that spidermech is completely ununique, but sometimes things don't always have to be insanely different to be unique or "oh wow he's just mk+lucas+link =l" - Look at lucas. While I don't know about the rest of you, lucas is actually rather different from ness and turned out a rather different character, as well as not a carbon copy.

(Also I don't think Golden Sun could be considered the last "Big Franchise" when at the time of Brawl it only had two games for a portable system. Other Nintendo series had that much or more, most notably the _____ Wars series which seemed to be paired off with Golden Sun back in the GBA day.
Had rather good sales figures; But yes, It wasn't treated as big as it is now.

@the3rdkoopa its kinda impossible for america to get those games
It's possible but both of them would have to be edited more than language. I don't really know much about why M2 and M3 haven't came to america.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Long story short, Mother 3 didn't come to North America because Earthbound did so poorly here and, despite starmen.net's demands, it wasn't nearly enough demand to warrant the game coming over here especially when the game came out the year after the DS was released. It also didn't help that Mother 3 didn't do that great in Japan especially when compared to Mother 2/Earthbound.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
yeah **** microsoft they killed BK

BTW Rayman for d next smash, and more metroid and zelda reps as well (the less thing we need are more mario reps >_>)
they just need to introduce more new franchises to the next smash, bring at least 2 unknown characters back to light from the NES glory days, and bring in another franchise that has its roots with the NES and has moved on to other successes

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
My top ten, even though i posted it a while back would be.....

1. Pac Man- cuz hes retro, classic, and very popular, like mario and sonic
2. Sora- Kingdom Hearts is the best game, nuff said
3. Animal Crosser- another popular nintendo series rep would be good, and this is a good start
4. Geno- Come on, he's Geno!
5. Ridley- He's awesome, not too big, and another Metroid rep.
6. King K. Rool- DK is in diar need of a new rep
7. Bomberman-He's cool, bombs are a new weapon, and umm...... he's cool?
8. Megaman- He's just awesome, and needs some more recognition
9. Balloon Fighter- another retro character with a very unique moveset in his horizon
10. Dig Dug- I created a moveset for him, and it was really cool, using the dragons to breath fire, droppin' rocks, and the likes. He would be cool
Pacman is more famous than he is popular nowadays in my opinion. He hasn't really had that many games out as of late, and whilst he is a 3rd party I could see getting in, it will be because of the character himself, not the popularity of the games he's been in.

Square Enix has other reps that would represent them better than Sora would. They have Chocob and Slime- their mascots, and then they have classic FF characters, and even though I'm not fond of him, Cloud is insanely popular. Still, I'd like to see Sora.

Animal Crosser would be OK, but I'd rather see a main character from the franchise. Animal Crosser falls under the Mii category for me.

Geno is the guy I could see SE putting in if they had the chance. However, his fanbase is smaller than the other SE characters I mentioned earlier. I could see him getting in if Nintendo and SE come to an agreement.

Ridley is too big though. It'd be like bringing Kraid in and having him the size of Bowser. Fan demand for him is huge though, and I'd like to see him in- it's jyst unlikely. He suited a boss more than he would a character.

I have no problems with K.Rool. Him and Dixie need to get in, and I could see Funky having a chance due to his recent burst of popularity.

Bomberman is less likely than Mega Man, but I could see him in. However, Link's been using bombs since SSB.

Mega Man is the third party who needs to get in if they still use them in the next game.

Balloon Fighter is a good retro choice, as long with Little Mac, who really has a good chance now.

Dig Dug is quite obscure, this could be a good or bad thing.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
Ridley is too big though. It'd be like bringing Kraid in and having him the size of Bowser. Fan demand for him is huge though, and I'd like to see him in- it's jyst unlikely. He suited a boss more than he would a character.
:burst:

...I agree with the rest of your suggestions though. I've always found that Chocobo and Slime have underrated chances (totally Slime riding on Chocobo's back, like Toise's idea).

mariorocks64

Smash Journeyman
I too have my top ten newcomers I personally hope for!

1. Bomberman
2. Toad
3. paper mario
4. Claus
5.Baby mario bros
6. Sora
7. Bub (from bubble bobble and bust a move)
8. Petey Piranha
9. Galacta knight
10. Caprisun

I only had 9 characters I wanted, so I used the last space for Caprisun, since I had no more ideas.
I always see the baby mario bros to be fun characters. In adventure story, I see them teaming up with Captain Falcon. Bomberman would also be fun. Since Konami owns Hudson soft, Bomberman may have a higher chance! Petey Piranha will be one of the top heavy weights with the largest strength. Petey Piranha has been a recurring character since super mario sunshine. Between Bub and Bombermberman, Bomberman ftw.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Random song of the day from Mother that should be in Smash 4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZRyJDOVRlk - Pokey/Giygas mean business/The Final Battle

Long story short, Mother 3 didn't come to North America because Earthbound did so poorly here and, despite starmen.net's demands, it wasn't nearly enough demand to warrant the game coming over here especially when the game came out the year after the DS was released. It also didn't help that Mother 3 didn't do that great in Japan especially when compared to Mother 2/Earthbound.
Oh yeah, was tired when making that post. It's really saddening to Mother 3 because people in the US Think lucas is such a cool character then to find out he's a japanese only character is rather...Just sucks for them.

I see a lot of people running around using him and ike. At least I'm able to guide the ike ones to FE Better :laugh: But yes - And the sales don't really warrent a wii version of the sorts or anything, which to be honest would be far more interesting than "Wii Sports Resort!" But meh.

Also FMOI I'd like to hear your opinion on If mother got a 3rd rep and whatnot, since you brought Mother up in your last wall o' text about tingle.

If we all just basically agreed that he isn't too likely, why are we still talking about this?
Claus? If you're talking about him, well, we're still talking for two reasons:
1.Priority - While he isn't as debateable as say, the mario series, claus still isn't totally guaranteed unlike If we got another metroid rep, or another
2.Overpopulation Rule - Stretching in-depth over this one.

But really; He still does have a pretty good chance considering he's next in line in mother, It's just that there's other series Sakurai has to please first, so It's really dependent on how generous Sakurai feels to the small franchise of Mother/Earthbound/Potato.

n88

Smash Lord
We doing Top Tens again?

1. Ridley
2. Rosalina
3. Siegfried/Nightmare
4. Mewtwo
5. King K.Rool
6. Bowser Jr.
7. Tingle
8. Mach Rider
9. Roy
10. Isaac
Honorable Mention: Midna

All those are possible, if not likely. Although for two of them (Rosalina and Midna), an appearance in Smash would probably require some reappearances in their own games.

We doing Top Tens again?

1. Ridley- Meh, no opinion
2. Rosalina Again, don;t really care, she is just as good as any other Mario rep IMO
3. Siegfried/Nightmare Haha yes. We can dream right?
4. Mewtwo Good.
5. King K.Rool I prefer Kapt. but as long as he's in
6. Bowser Jr. Not a fan, but he could happen
7. Tingle As his own rep sure.
8. Mach Rider You and I both
9. Roy He's grown on me, I'd prefer him to stay cloned though
10. Isaac Of course
Honorable Mention: Midna Gross.

All those are possible, if not likely. Although for two of them (Rosalina and Midna), an appearance in Smash would probably require some reappearances in their own games.

Opinons bolded

And To conserve space: my wishlist (With reasons)

1. Issac
OBviously no explination needed.

2. Black Knight
Most possible current Fire Emblem Villain with a unique fighting mechanic, and I am biased

3. Kapain K. Rool
Dk villain, I just like the pirate motif the best

4. Balloon Fighter
Great potential for uniqueness, Awesome retro game, awesoem character

5. Mach Rider
I've thought about him a lot and how unvelivably unique he could be. I want him based mostly on unique he could be. (No I am not beign a hypocryte)

6. Volke (Fire Emblem 9/10)
Assassin's are my favorite class and he is my favorite assassin. Completely unrealistic and biased, but hey its a wishlist

7. Andy
Andy would be more of a commander which would focus around a team of AW infantry. AW needs to be in the game beyond an AT

8. Toon Ganondorf
To give the people what they want, a new weapon weilding ganon, while letting me keep my aggro-beast ganon

9. Young Link
I love Young link in Melee. I don;t care if he comes back as a clone (I actually like clones) or with a Majora's mask moveset. I just want him back

10. Eliwood
My most realistic Fire Emblem wish. He uses a rapier, he is also my favorite Lord from FE7

Neo Exdeath

Smash Ace
We're doing top 10s? Alright, here's mine:

1.Claus
2.Mega Man
3.Paper Mario
4.Terra
5.Ridley
6.Tingle
7.Waluigi (I just know I'm gonna get flamed for this.....)
8.Little Mac
9.Adeleine
10.Mewtwo

At least all mine have a good (about 40-50%) of getting in Smash.

Paper Mario Master

Smash Ace
Go Toon Ganondorf! Go Claus!

Yay Random Awesome FE Characters! (Mine are: Mia, Nephenee, and Caineghis......and Sothe[these are the ones that probably have no chance but I can dream....except maybe Sothe....he has an once more chance than the rest])

YAY PAPER MARIO!!......haha......somebody will flame you for that.....I would but I don't really wanna take the time or energy....

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
Whee top 10s.

1. Bowser Jr./Paper Mario
  2. K.Rool
  3. Tingle
  4. Ridley
  5. Black Shadow/Samurai Goroh
  6. Fifth Gen Pokemon/Mewtwo
  7. New FE Lord/Roy
  8. Little Mac
  9. Isaac
  10. Megaman

More of what I expect than who I want. Unless you disagree with me. I dunno.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I think Rosalina will be appearing in future titles, but if I was in charge, I'd add Toad, Bowser Jr., then Rosalina. After that it's fair game. For Midna, I have a feeling that she stands a chance even though she may be a one-timer. From what I can tell, she's the most popular of the TP characters and she can be an interesting fighter.

My top ten (no particular order):

1. Toad
2. Tom Nook
3. Krystal
4. Ridley
5. Isaac
6. Little Mac
7. Mewtwo
8.Kumatora
9. Claus
10. Sukapon
Honarable mentions: Rosalina, Bowser Jr., Midna, Dixie Kong, K. Rool, Roy, Saki, Capt. Syrup

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
monster Tingle post
Your post is very revealing. I could spend about a week pointing out all the problems and everything you get wrong, but there's no reason to. Guess I gave you too much credit.

The one thing I will mention (since it applies to me directly) is that I actually like Tingle. I think that people are pretty quick to judge him, that he certainly doesn't deserve the hate he's been getting over the years. If I believed an appearance in Smash meant fixing his reputation rather than making it worse, I'd be busy convincing you guys to give him a break for once.

By the way, I like Daisy too. In fact there's only one video game character ever that actually manages to go past disinterest and into hate territory. I won't say who though.

----------------------------------------------

Anyway, everyone's talking about overall character inclusion and I can't help myself, so I'm gonna jump on that. This post is in regards to the established series in Smash Bros.: Mario, DK, Yoshi, Wario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, Star Fox, Pokemon, F-Zero, Mother, and Fire Emblem. Of those, this is mostly focused on static series, which is all of them except for Pokemon and FE.

"Over-representation" is this:

Star Fox
--------
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Krystal
Peppy
Leon

An over-represented series has at least one character who shouldn't be playable, but otherwise is complete. In this case we have six pilots from Star Fox, two of which are superfluous. We don't need Peppy or Leon. The other four are keepers.

"Under-representation" is this:

Metroid
---------
Samus

An under-represented series lacks at least one character who should be playable. In this case, we only have Samus but we're still missing a very important character. We need Ridley, but no one else.

We can also have "misrepresentation" as seen here:

Donkey Kong
---------
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Chunky Kong
Stanley the Bugman

A misrepresented series has characters who don't belong at the expense of characters who do. Obviously anyone thinking of Donkey Kong would want King K. Rool or Dixie Kong, but instead we have two unneeded characters. This is the worst kind of representation possible.

Lastly, we have "perfect representation" (or being "complete") like this:

Kirby
---------
Kirby
Meta Knight
King Dedede

A perfectly represented series has all of its important characters, but includes none that are unneeded. Kirby only has three very important characters and all are present; changing this lineup in any way would be unwise (unless a new major character is introduced who eventually compares to them). This state is the goal for every series.

Notice that I don't mention the status of the series themselves. It's very important to understand that Sakurai does not care about sales, prolificacy, or perceived quality of series or individual titles. Consider that by Melee, Star Fox had two games and Donkey Kong outsold Zelda. By Brawl, F-Zero had four new games and a TV show while Mother only had one new game.

The number of characters these series have in each Smash game doesn't reflect any of that. Thus, it's clear that we should only be concerned with the characters themselves, not the series from which they belong. In that regard, all established series are equal.

Now, there's another term that's probably a lot more accurate that you guys should be using, and that's "focus." If a series has lots of focus, it has more of its key characters present than the average series does (Mario, Zelda). If a series lacks focus, it's below the average (F-Zero, Wario).

Is it a problem if a series has more focus? Not necessarily. The series probably has very popular characters whom Sakurai felt should be added sooner rather than later (IE adding Bowser takes priority over King Dedede, adding King Dedede takes priority over Ridley, and so on). As long as the characters added are worthwhile, this isn't that big a deal in the long run. Eventually every important character will be added.

It CAN be a problem, however, if a series is denied focus for too long. Fans of the series become upset and more vocal (moreso than usual), while non-fans of the series either wonder why this one gets the shaft or forget about it almost entirely (and possibly end up annoyed by all the complaints). This isn't really isn't that hard to avoid, especially as other series become complete over time.

The last thing I want to mention is that what constitutes a complete series is usually debatable. Kirby is probably the only series most of you will agree on (maybe Yoshi). I won't be talking about what each series needs in this post since it'd take too long, but I will mention that a number of you seem to have a bit of a minimalist mentality. Somehow certain characters become "icing on the cake" or "second-rate" despite their importance and popularity to their own series. Usually this is followed up with expectations for more Mario and Zelda.

Do you really think these characters aren't that important? Are you just not that familiar with the series and assume that because you won't miss them, very few will? Or do you think that somehow, the series itself doesn't "deserve" the characters it needs?

Hero Dude

Smash Journeyman
OKAY! Do any of you know who Captain Rainbow is? It was a Japan only title that had Nintendo's newest character in it, along with alot of NES characters that where forgoten. This is part of the Wikipedia page:

The main character "Nick" is able to transform into "Captain★Rainbow" a tokusatsu-styled superhero wielding a yo-yo, with a wish to restore his lost popularity. To restore his popularity, Nick ventures to Mimin Island; an island where wishes are said to come true, he'll meet a vast array of past minor Nintendo characters with their own dreams and wishes on his journey. The game features a stylized cartoon look similar to Skip's other games. It was confirmed for release in Europe in Summer 2009, but this seems to have been cancelled.

Yeah....

The gameplay of Captain★Rainbow can be divided in two parts; the adventure part and the action part.

The adventure part of Captain★Rainbow is set on enjoying the Island Life together with the other islanders. Nick can go fishing, bug catching and help the other Islanders with their requests. Most of the requests can lead to various mini-games, such as boxing, volleyball, fishing and golf. Helping islanders can get you special crystals, shaped like little stars, known as: "Kirarin" (”Sparklies”).

The action part is based around those crystals. Each time 20 Kirarin are collected, a star will fall from the sky. The star can be carried to an altar at the top of the Island where it will grant a wish. While carrying the star to the altar Nick is challenged by a mysterious Shadow who for unknown reasons wants the star for himself. If Nick succeeds in bringing the star to the altar there will be two choices left for him. He can either grant his own wish to become a popular hero again or grant the wish of one of the islanders and go back to finding other Kirarin.
*Grumble*

Nick - Coming from "The Land of the Free": Mameruka (a pun on America), Nick's alter-ego is Captain★Rainbow. Although not as popular as he used to be, Nick came to Mimin Island with the dream of restoring his popularity.

Mimin - Little bunny-like creatures with yellow ears. The original inhabitants of Mimin Island. They seem to have a connection with the Island's ability to grant wishes. They can be seen forming a bridge so that Nick can reach the shrine at the top of the island.

Shadow - After Nick obtains a star, this figure appears to steal the star away from him. Nick can try to knock him out with his Yo-Yo while in his Captain★Rainbow form, but can also try to defeat him in a duel when the Shadow hits him in the back. A group of four Shadows can be seen dancing around a stolen star, slowly dancing its life-force away.

Birdo (Catherine) - From Super Mario Bros. 2, Birdo's reason to come to Mimin Island is to become popular with all the boys, but is arrested by Mappo after walking in the women's restroom, uncertain of Birdo's gender. Birdo claims that Nick is his/her boyfriend after Nick "proves" he is "female" and releases him/her from prison. Birdo lives in the "Cute House" on a separated part of the Island. The interior consists of mostly pink colored furniture, ribbons, and eggs. The game continues the recurring controversy around Birdo's gender, where she claims to be female and that Nick is her boyfriend but she has a male voice.

Mappo - The robot jailer from GiFTPiA, it came to Mimin Island to become a plainclothes officer, instead of a Koban officer. Mappo lives together with Tao in a strange guardstation with monitors resembling Mappo and a doghouse for Tao. It holds no furniture as neither of them have need for it. Birdo's cell is located here.

Tao - The dog from Moon: Remix RPG Adventure, Chibi-Robo! and GiFTPiA. His dream is to do nothing but eat.

Drake Redcrest (Gitchoman) - The action figure from Chibi-Robo!. He can be found on the beach, near the Famicom Wars Soldier's volleyball net.

Little Mac - From the NES Punch-Out!! games. Mac's wish is to become a world champion once again. It is shown that, depending on how Nick helps Mac with his training, he can become either massive or incredibly thin. He lives in his boxing ring near Birdo's house.

Hikari - From Shin Onigashima. She is shown to be intimate with Nick, as they can be seen sitting together at the beach at night. She lives in a house shaped like a Japanese shrine. Next to her house is a pond with a waterfall. Her design has changed slightly so she looks as if she is much older than she was in Shin Onigashima.

Takamaru - From Nazo no Murasamejō. His wish has something to do with the fact that he can't control his excitement when thinking of women, which leads to extreme nosebleeds. He lives in a Dojo so run down, that pieces of wall and roof are missing.

Ossan - From Famicom Golf, he is portrayed as an old man. His house is fairly normal, besides the fact that it has a giant golf tee with a giant golfball on it next to it.

Lip - From Panel de Pon (which was remade into Tetris Attack for US and PAL regions). Her dream is to become a great magician. She lives in a Mushroom shaped house which has a Piranha Plant from Super Mario Bros in its garden. Her choice of interior consists of flower shaped furniture with eyes and crayon drawings of herself on rainbows.

Tracy - From The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening. Above her throne she has a portrait of Mario and Link next to an empty portrait. Her wish is to enslave all the men in the world. She lives in a Grand Mansion in the center of the Island where she usually sits on her throne. At night, she can be found in front of her mirror, powdering her face or using the toilet behind a revealing showercurtain.

Famicom Wars Soldiers - From Famicom Wars. For some reason, their wish is to become good at volleyball. They train their volleyball skills during the day, search for shellfish when the tide is low and sit around the campfire at night. They live in a camp near the beach with a watchtower. Army binoculars can be seen together with a picture of Tracy in the watchtower.

Devil - From Devil World. His wish is to become the number one villain in the underworld. He lives in a house shaped like a skull with bat wings on a far side of the island where hardly any plants grow. His house is decorated with mostly skull themed furniture.
That help his chances a little...

Famitsu Magazine awarded Captain★Rainbow a 31 out of 40.[2] The game only sold a scant 6,361 copies during its first week of release, the lowest first week sales for a Nintendo game on the Wii.[3]
Ouch...

His channces aren't too high if you can tell. For those of you who have absolutely no clue who he is, just look him up on google images.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Captain Rainbow
Funny because I was just making jokes in a chat about how he could be a falcon clone and then his Down B To transform into nick could be a marth clone :laugh:

Anyhow; I'd actually like to see this happen If he could transform into nick. It'd be a pretty unique character and If It SOMEHOW Managed to release in the US Or gets a sequel or something, It'd be great advertisement. Truth be told however that unless sakurai puts sales on a really low standard, he probably won't get a debut as opposed to other smaller franchises (Unless sakurai decides for the WTF Character not to pull a "Surpise! An obscure NES Character!")

Hero Dude

Smash Journeyman
Look at the gameplay videos on youtube. IMO The graphics are wonderful.

@TheThird: I see the Falcon thing, but how Marth? He has no sword. Or any weapons, at that.
As said with Pit, Sakurai said he would have to see its re-release sales before anything happened. It placed second to last, and then w00t PIT iz in.

GamenerdAdvance

Smash Apprentice
I could see differently than the eyes of average fans. It doesn't demolish Krystal's chances but It sorta says "We kinda need K.Rool/Ridley/Claus/Samurai Goroh/Etc Before we give Starfox another rep" - I however believe that krystal still has a chance, especially with 4 poll mentions. Sakurai just simply didn't know who she was in one of the journal mentions apparently.
Under no circumstances do we "need" Claus. Claus isn't even in the same league as K. Rool, Ridley and Samurai Goroh. He's not even in the same league as Tingle (and by the way, I believe Tingle has a fair chance). Two reps for Mother is already over-representation, especially in comparison to some other franchises.

And if Mother were to get another character, there are all number of ideas they could exhaust before they resort to using Claus. Personally, I would see to it that Pokey becomes a character, trotting around in a miniaturised Spider Mech (only slightly bigger than Bowser), since he's one of the only characters, bar Giygas (who lacks a physical form) and Andonuts, to actually cross the gap between the otherwise unrelated Mother games. However, even that seems outrageously unlikely. Although to be fair I would like to see Flint or Teddy, if only to fulfill the stereotypes of a cowboy character and a bruiser/bouncer-esque character. But I'm going on a tangent here. Long story short, there is a barely minute chance of Mother getting a justly undeserved third character, and if it were to get one, there are lots of alternatives to Claus (although I'd quite like to see Mother 1 representation, hence Teddy). Claus is not and has never been the shoe-in you imagine he is.

Although whilst we're talking Mother, Giygas should be a stage. It could start out at Mt. Itoi from Mother 1, with the ship emerging, then it morphs into Giygas Lair from Earthbound, before turning off into the psychedelic mess that is the final fight.

Hero Dude

Smash Journeyman
Under no circumstances do we "need" Claus. Claus isn't even in the same league as K. Rool, Ridley and Samurai Goroh. He's not even in the same league as Tingle (and by the way, I believe Tingle has a fair chance). Two reps for Mother is already over-representation, especially in comparison to some other franchises.

And if Mother were to get another character, there are all number of ideas they could exhaust before they resort to using Claus. Personally, I would see to it that Pokey becomes a character, trotting around in a miniaturised Spider Mech (only slightly bigger than Bowser), since he's one of the only characters, bar Giygas (who lacks a physical form) and Andonuts, to actually cross the gap between the otherwise unrelated Mother games. However, even that seems outrageously unlikely. Although to be fair I would like to see Flint or Teddy, if only to fulfill the stereotypes of a cowboy character and a bruiser/bouncer-esque character. But I'm going on a tangent here. Long story short, there is a barely minute chance of Mother getting a justly undeserved third character, and if it were to get one, there are lots of alternatives to Claus (although I'd quite like to see Mother 1 representation, hence Teddy). Claus is not and has never been the shoe-in you imagine he is.

Although whilst we're talking Mother, Giygas should be a stage. It could start out at Mt. Itoi from Mother 1, with the ship emerging, then it morphs into Giygas Lair from Earthbound, before turning off into the psychedelic mess that is the final fight.

Nobody said that Claus was the only contender. We only said that Claus was more likely than any of the others. But, agreed that any of those other characters would get in before Claus.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Your post is very revealing. I could spend about a week pointing out all the problems and everything you get wrong, but there's no reason to. Guess I gave you too much credit.
If there were so many things wrong, why not point them out? It's such a classic cop-out to say "there's a million things wrong with what you said but, oh, you should already know what they are." It's like when you're a kid and you get in trouble for something you didn't do but when you ask your parents what it was they say "oh, you know what you did." It's kind of like the paper bag that every strawman arguement gets stuffed into and I've heard it way too many times in my seven years of spending time on online forums.

Also, there's really no need to bring this arguement to a personal level. It's Tingle for God's sake. If anything, I'd like to talk about him as little as possible but he happened to be the flavor of the day in this thread. I do have to say though, I do find miseribly ironic that you actually like him but think he has virtually no chance and I want the little bugger to burn in Hell but think he's a reasonable addition. :psycho: Also, none of this "let's shake hands and leave as enemies", I can't stand online grudges especially those that stem (real or imagined) from game debates. If you want a good idea of what I'm talking about, ask Pieman. :chuckle:

Well, if you want to be done with this arguement, let's be done with it until it inevitiably comes back up in a month. :psycho:

BBQTV

Smash Master
you guys know how to put up a good show.I could say whats with your post but you should know :laugh:

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Also, none of this "let's shake hands and leave as enemies", I can't stand online grudges especially those that stem (real or imagined) from game debates. If you want a good idea of what I'm talking about, ask Pieman. :chuckle:
Wait, what is this supposed to mean? :embarrass

A-n-y-ways, @ ThethirdKoopa,

I said The Masked Man's attacks seem generic, because they really do seem generic. He has a canon arm, a sword, and a jetpack. In reality, that kind of sounds like some odd fanfic character that the author just wanted to give a lot of powers. Thus, to me at least, the masked man seems rather generc, especially when you compare him to someone who could hypotheticall be fighting other characters inside a spider robot.

And despite your description, I'm still coming off with the impression that with both of his roles combined, that he's the better villain to use in Smash. Heck, the fact that he can be both the villain for Ness and Lucas should be enough really, and I think Sakurai knew that by actually throwing Porky into Brawl.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
HD, don't spam the thread like that. If you want to talk about Captain Rainbow then actually talk about him, instead of just saying his name.

I guess though that you got a bite, since I will give my two cents on him. Back when his game was first announced, I thought he could be a very likely canidate for the next game. As the game came out though, it became clear that he'll probably not make it. For one, he's Japan ony. For two, his game sold poorly. For three, he's not really much of a fighter. There's really not much to say when it comes to him.

Volkner582

Smash Journeyman
Japan Only? Look at (technically) Lucas and (until recently) Marth!

I agree with you on the other two things however.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Sigh... it'd be nice if we had SSB4 discussion broken into more threads. This thread is 95% of the time involving characters. I'd much rather discuss gameplay.

Hero Dude

Smash Journeyman
Thats where we differ. Characters are what I want to discuss.

I knew rainbow wasn't likely. Can someone merge all of his info into a percentage?

I would say like 19%

Jerome

Smash Apprentice
I know it might not happen but i really want Silver to be in ssb4. I would want him floaty and light like Mewtwo but have strong attacks like Lucas also a bit faster than Mewtwo. I just want all the Sega characters that was in the background of sonic's stage playable. Shadow could stay as a Assist Trophy though he would be a sweet fighter too.

As for gameplay wise Nintendo should speed it up a bit but not as fast as Melee and also no tripping.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Thats where we differ. Characters are what I want to discuss.

I knew rainbow wasn't likely. Can someone merge all of his info into a percentage?

I would say like 19%
Perhaps I should leave this thread. There's nowhere else on this board where I can discuss gameplay in the sequel because I'll be forced back here.

Besides, I hope you are aware that there are more aspects to improve than just characters. You can have a 100 character roster, but it doesn't make a difference if the gameplay sucks.

@Kuma

About gameplay, What are your opions of wavedashing and L-canceling/ exploits Advanced Techs returning.

I was thinking of this earlier and with your current frustration, try to alleviate it (at least until someone yells ridley and we lose it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom