• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am starting to think that maybe boss characters aren't meant to be playable in Smash unless they have been playable in their native franchises. The only exception was Ganondorf and it was only because he has a similar body build to Captain Falcon's.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I am starting to think that maybe boss characters aren't meant to be playable in Smash unless they have been playable in their native franchises. The only exception was Ganondorf and it was only because he has a similar body build to Captain Falcon's.
Still, i would rather see main villains be playable, and secondary villains be bosses. Ex: Mewtwo being playable but Cyrus being a boss.

Sort of a bad example, i know..

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am sure lulz will be had if the "remember me" guy from Other M got in SSB4 and Ridley is still not playable... although I don't remember this guy from other Metroid games. :p

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Anthony Higgs as Metroid's second rep in Smash Bros 4 confirmed!

http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/109/1098372/metroid-other-m-20100615043842583.jpg

Even comes with a "remember me" taunt, at no extra cost. ;)
If you think about it...

The guy has had a meme centered around him since the very day the game was announced.
He may have some more plot relevance.
He would be the first Black man in Super Smash Bros. that actually is human (Blackimar and G+W don't count).

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Palutena:

Medusa:

I look forward to the flame wars on who is more worthy by the time Smash 4 rolls around. :(

Also, lol at any other Metroid character being worthy of a playable spot aside from Ridley.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Palutena gets in first before Medusa because good guys always become playable before the bad guys. But it would be nice to have both...

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Anthony Higgs as Metroid's second rep in Smash Bros 4 confirmed!

http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/109/1098372/metroid-other-m-20100615043842583.jpg

Even comes with a "remember me" taunt, at no extra cost. ;)
Oh, so that's his name.

I have something bigger I've realized, but I'll come back to it later.

Simple Question, if Palutena is so string why doesnt she kill Medusa?
In the original game, Palutena was captured by Medusa.

These are Greek Gods remember (or based on them at least). They are very human and not as omnipotent as the Abrahamic religions.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Simple Question, if Palutena is so string why doesnt she kill Medusa?
If she killed Medusa, there would be no Kid Icarus games to begin with. What's the point of having Pit running around Angel Land if he isn't going to have any objectives like killing Medusa?

And it begins.
LOL I haven't flamed anyone... I think the debate will stem from "we need more females!" vs "we need more villains!" and the people choosing Medusa will claim that she is the better choice because she is a female villain, a two-for-one deal. I think Palutena will get in before Medusa simply because good guys usually become playable before the bad guys do.

Case in point, Zelda (good) and Ganondorf (bad) are both unplayable characters in Zelda games before Melee and both were added in Melee... but remember that Zelda was added first and Ganondorf wasn't even considered until Sakurai saw how similar his body build was to Captain Falcon so Ganondorf was added later.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Oh, so that's his name.

I have something bigger I've realized, but I'll come back to it later.
Yes, and supposedly he is like Samus' old friend or something like that. To me I get a "War Machine" vibe from him. If he is important to the storyline and has a fleshed out character, sure I'll support him in the future. My statement was more out of euphoric induced jest than anything. :p

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
If she killed Medusa, there would be no Kid Icarus games to begin with. What's the point of having Pit running around Angel Land if he isn't going to have any objectives like killing Medusa?

LOL I haven't flamed anyone... I think the debate will stem from "we need more females!" vs "we need more villains!" and the people choosing Medusa will claim that she is the better choice because she is a female villain, a two-for-one deal. I think Palutena will get in before Medusa simply because good guys usually become playable before the bad guys do.

Case in point, Zelda (good) and Ganondorf (bad) are both unplayable characters in Zelda games before Melee and both were added in Melee... but remember that Zelda was added first and Ganondorf wasn't even considered until Sakurai saw how similar his body build was to Captain Falcon so Ganondorf was added later.
I did not mean just flame wars. I also meant people wanting them solely for ahem viewing pleasure.

It is very interesting that Project Sora did end up being Kid Icarus 3DS and that Sakurai showed it off in 2010 (he originally said it would not be until 2011 that he would show it). Sakurai's next project after Kid Icarus could very well be Smash 4.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Hate to be a bother, but would someone care to look at my smash bros ds roster? :)
I think its pretty accurate to what it would look like!

@Chrono, No i totally get the fact that the game would suck if she killed medusa, but i was wondering why she couldnt. P.S. My neice just asked why Goku was looking so weird in your avatar. Thats mah neice X)

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I did not mean just flame wars. I also meant people wanting them solely for ahem viewing pleasure.

It is very interesting that Project Sora did end up being Kid Icarus 3DS and that Sakurai showed it off in 2010 (he originally said it would not be until 2011 that he would show it). Sakurai's next project after Kid Icarus could very well be Smash 4.
At least we shall have plenty of new/re-emerging content for just about every series outside of (as of now) F-Zero, Ice Climbers, Mother, and Yoshi.

Hate to be a bother, but would someone care to look at my smash bros ds roster? :)
I think its pretty accurate to what it would look like!
I would if I knew where to find it.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
In regards to a few things...

Dixie or K.Rool not appearing in the new DK game likely would be a huge blow to their chances, because odds are that DK series elements will be portrayed in the style of the new game. Thus if those two are missing from the revival, they could be missing from the next Smash as well. Now its not impossible that either could make it, as both have had heavy roles in the past, but I can't help but feel that it would be unlikely. (Especially for K.Rool, since if he's not in, he would be out and out replaced. Its too early to say if Dixie's role just won't exist, or if she will get a replacement, but if K.Rool isn't there in his normal capacity, someone will have to fill the void.)

Also, given Epic Yarn, I must wonder if its possible that Kirby gets a revamped moveset, transformation, or Toon Link/Dr. Mario type treatment. Its probably unlikely (and we should get some bloody Paper Mario first) but you never know.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
In regards to a few things...

Dixie or K.Rool not appearing in the new DK game likely would be a huge blow to their chances, because odds are that DK series elements will be portrayed in the style of the new game. Thus if those two are missing from the revival, they could be missing from the next Smash as well. Now its not impossible that either could make it, as both have had heavy roles in the past, but I can't help but feel that it would be unlikely. (Especially for K.Rool, since if he's not in, he would be out and out replaced. Its too early to say if Dixie's role just won't exist, or if she will get a replacement, but if K.Rool isn't there in his normal capacity, someone will have to fill the void.)

Also, given Epic Yarn, I must wonder if its possible that Kirby gets a revamped moveset, transformation, or Toon Link/Dr. Mario type treatment. Its probably unlikely (and we should get some bloody Paper Mario first) but you never know.
To be honest I am inclined to believe we may see quite a few characters receive some new moves. I can already tell the whip item in LoZ:SS is going to be the main long reach item for that game and as such any future iteration of Link will most likely utilize the whip as his grab/tether move. Mario could have his spin move return to "special" status, but more tailored to Galaxy's style. Depending on when Pikmin 3 gets here we may see Olimar get a couple of new Pikmin types. Unsure if Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Pit and Kirby will really be impacted by their upcoming sequels though I doubt it unless (in Pit's case) there is a radical change in their mechanics beyond simply art style ie Kirby. Samus is the interesting one to me because of how drastically close combat oriented she has become in Other M. I really believe she could receive a semi-massive change in moves (and even speed as she is more agile in Other M) akin to Capt. Falcon's transition from Smash 64 to Melee.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I prefer to see Paper Mario get a stage, not a character. I also don't want to see another version of Kirby, I just want a Epic Yarn stage.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
On to Shortie's portable Smash roster, I'll post my opinions on the side and further thoughts on the bottom:

Starter Characters:
Mario (New Super Mario Bros)Basic
Donkey Kong (Jungle Climber)Good
Yoshi (Yoshi's Island DS)Good
Peach (Super Princess Peach)Good
Wario (Wario Master of Disguise)Good
Kirby (Super Ultra Star)Good
Marth (Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon)Good
Pikachu (Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver)Good
Fox (Star Fox Command)Good
Samus (Metriod Hunters)Good
Toon Link (Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks)Good
Phantom Zelda/ Armor (Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks)Iffy on this one

Unlockable characters:
Caeda (Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon)Trying to remember her, Pegasus Princess? Iffy.
Luigi (New Super Mario Bros) Good
Starfy (The Legend of Starfy) Good
Luke (Proffesor Layton and the Diabolical Box) Iffy
Notched Ear/Pikachu colored pichu Tag-Team (Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver)Makes sense, but unlikely
Mewtwo (Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver)Would love it, but doubt it
Krystal (Star Fox Command)More likely would be the return of Falco
Tingle (Tingles Balloon Fight)*sigh*Good...

Third Party Guest Character:
Chrono (Chrono Trigger DS)Would love it, but not going to happen

Total=21 characters

Not a bad list, though I think we are more likely to see a 5th generation Pokémon rep over Mewtwo, especially on a portable edition. Caeda is iffy for me, but does have a better chance with the advent of the lastest FE. Chrono isn't going to happen, if anything we would see Megaman, possibly the EXE incarnation as it would be in the handheld sector and that incarnation is the most popular in Japan and probably the most well known outside of his Classic appearance. Also likely would be the main character from Dragon Quest IX (nameless avatar angel knight) given Nintendo's pushing of the game. Most people would probably rage over the fact that there is not enough variety, but honestly you cannot please everyone.

Such a game would focus primarily on the portable world versus the console sector unlike what most Smashes have done, so I would expect to see series more in line with that "world". Starfy, Golden Sun, Custom Robo, Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, Pokémon, and as of now Kid Icarus. I'd expect more of those portable franchises to receive priority then say something like Punch Out (though I recognize a certain two series are kind of dead for the time being). The cast would naturally be condensed and smaller, I think 21-26 is a generous estimation given the capabilities the 3DS has displayed. Picking who to carry over from the main game will probably be the most difficult aspect of the game, but your list did a pretty good job at doing that. Given that Sakurai has already developed a game for the 3DS and will have time on his hands the next Smash could very well be a 3DS game.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
First, after some thinking, I'm not sure Ridley will be in Smash. When you consider that Sakurai mentions they have to work in the world of Smash, Ridley doesn't fit. He might be too big. Olimar worked because he had a human frame. Ridley just takes up a lot of space. He might not work in the game (I would like to see him).

I'm starting to agree with something that Chrono said earlier. That the next Smash game may only have 10-12 characters, and I say it because the well is getting dry. In order to add more characters, they have to do one of three things.
  1. Add new series to the game
  2. Expand on current series
  3. Get third party characters

The first one is what most people have suggested. There are still other series out there like the Wii series and Punch Out. But, what about others? There are a lot of series they could add, but will they be enough to add into a new game? You could, say, add the character from FlingSmash, and you could make him work, but would it be worth it?

The second one is one that will dry eventually. Who else can we add from Kirby? Eventually, the series will run dry. And even when they don't, a lot of the left overs just aren't that good. Take Mario. You could add, Toad, but who else after that. A lot of people don't like characters like Waluigi and Bowser Jr. Unless they make radical new characters, the series will run their course. Some series have a lot of characters, but should there be a lot of characters added to them. Do we need 4 Star Fox characters or 4 Fire Emblem characters? Take F-Zero. We could add Goroh, but who else? There are a lot of characters, but should we cram all of them.

Then there are the third party characters. Should we add a truck load of them. This is a Nintendo fighting game. Could adding too many characters from other properties feel like cramming to consumers. It might be a little disorganized. Not to mention costly as royalties may have to be payed, not to mention the legal mess it could make. This could result in some character who were added being cut later due to legal reasons.

But let me back track to get to the point. It's not that we can't find enough characters. I'm sure most of you could make a list a mile high of potential characters. But the problem is that we are running out of really good characters to add. A lot that could be offered is second rate. Sakurai has made Smash awesome because he thinks a lot about little things and he makes sure anything he adds works. He wont add a character "just because." he take special consideration with the characters who are added, so not anyone can just up and be added. This is the dilehma that Smash is running into. They either have to slow down on characters, get REALLY creative, or start adding anyone.

I will say the long wait between games is very good. There was a lot to add between Melee and Brawl and it will hold true for Brawl to 4. Today, we got a lot of content that could be used for Smash.

I do think we'll see a new Kid Icarus character come the 4th one (be it Palutena or Medusa or both)

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
@StarPheonix,
Thanks! I really thought about each individual character to be brought in. I agree that I should have brought in custom robo and other characters from ds franchises. I actually made a sequal list to this one with him in it. Anyways, i just wanted to clearify a few characters.

No regular Zelda Characters?!
Well, has regular link ever shown up on ds? No. That is why I chose The toon characters. I choose the Phantom Zelda/ Armor because as we have been discussing, more recent characters are more likely to get in over olds. So Zelda/Tetre were less likely. And I dont like Tingle either, but i mean he has his own spin-off series for christ sake. He's in. He is a ds kind of guy, considering he owns one :p

Caeda, the girl with the weirdest name
Simple, I dont know my FE, and Basically she was the second on Wikipedias list of main characters for Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon "^^ I didnt recognize any other names from that game, so she was put in.

Luke mah boy
I love Proffesor Layton's old english charm. I think most people do. Not to mention it has had four games (I think) on ds. That's a big number!

Pichu and Mewtwo, blast from the past!?
When making this, HG/SS was mainly on my mind. Nothing sums that game up more than the "Pichu Bros" revisted in this game. I couldnt think of a better Representative really. As for mewtwo... hey, do we really want lucario? :p I added mewtwo to get some "DS exclusive" characters in.

Krystal
Yea, i thought she had a more important role than Falco in command. I could totally be wrong.

Personally I thought my roster did the DS justice, and I would love to see a portable
smash!

@Smashchu, I really dont see why you dont think Bowser Jr. is up to par with toad. In all honesty Bowser Jr. is getting more popular by each game release. I dont hate toad, I just prefer Bowser Jr.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You know, I just realized something... Palutena, Medusa, Caeda, and Krystal all have one thing in common: they all use long-ranged weapons. I have a concern that these characters could be similar in terms of A moves when they use their long-ranged weapons in combat.

EDIT: Bowser Jr. may be getting more popular but Toad is still one of the faces of the Mario franchise. Even the Official Guide to Mario by Nintendo Power acknowledges Toad as one of the key characters of the series (alongside with Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Wario, and Bowser) despite the fact THE Toad was only playable in SMB2. Looks like the Mario Big Eight wasn't made up by me, it was always implied by Nintendo for years. Toad is far more marketable than Bowser Jr. as indicated by Club Nintendo rewards and Nintendo-related merchandise.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
You know, I just realized something... Palutena, Medusa, Caeda, and Krystal all have one thing in common: they all use long-ranged weapons. I have a concern that these characters could be similar in terms of A moves when they use their long-ranged weapons in combat.
I dont expect both Paluena and Medusa, and Krystal probably has a different fighting style in comparison to both of them. Caeda... I dont know sh..... about her. I mean Seong Mina and Kilik can live harmoniously in Soul Caliber, Why not Krystal and Medusa/Palutena?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
First, after some thinking, I'm not sure Ridley will be in Smash. When you consider that Sakurai mentions they have to work in the world of Smash, Ridley doesn't fit. He might be too big. Olimar worked because he had a human frame. Ridley just takes up a lot of space. He might not work in the game (I would like to see him).
lol too big Sorry I couldn't resist. And what's this about them having to work in the Smash universe (after the SSE, I pretty much hate this)? I don't remember that being part of his criteria.

I'm starting to agree with something that Chrono said earlier. That the next Smash game may only have 10-12 characters, and I say it because the well is getting dry. In order to add more characters, they have to do one of three things.
  1. Add new series to the game
  2. Expand on current series
  3. Get third party characters

The first one is what most people have suggested. There are still other series out there like the Wii series and Punch Out. But, what about others? There are a lot of series they could add, but will they be enough to add into a new game? You could, say, add the character from FlingSmash, and you could make him work, but would it be worth it?
Well, we have these series that haven't been touched yet, including those on the way:

Punch-Out!
Sin and Punishment (Would the logo be the kanji?)
Panel de Pon
Joy Mecha Fight
Nazo no Murasame
Animal Crossing (Let's not get into this.)
Advance Wars
Chibi Robo
Starfy
Xenoblade
The Last Story (Depending on how the story of this game is, we might get both protagonists)

With some more here:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Nintendo
Then there are the third party characters. Should we add a truck load of them. This is a Nintendo fighting game. Could adding too many characters from other properties feel like cramming to consumers. It might be a little disorganized. Not to mention costly as royalties may have to be payed, not to mention the legal mess it could make. This could result in some character who were added being cut later due to legal reasons.
Personally, I'd go no more than five just to avoid the legal messes.

I will say the long wait between games is very good. There was a lot to add between Melee and Brawl and it will hold true for Brawl to 4. Today, we got a lot of content that could be used for Smash.
There's a bit of a downside to that though and this is part of the reason I'm an advocate for an update on Brawl (just one) and future Smash games: It helps them refine their skills in the game, be it rebalancing, experimenting new ideas, or whatever.

I do think we'll see a new Kid Icarus character come the 4th one (be it Palutena or Medusa or both)
With Sakurai in charge of the project (and it looks like he's done a bang up job), I wouldn't be surprised, or that he adopts the series for that matter.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
We can't really say anything on Palutena and Medusa yet until we more of the game. Palutena could very well use her staff like a mage, making her possibly our first mage character. I'm clueless on Medusa.

Krystal, assuming she uses the spells Fox uses in Adventures, has quite the number of tools to choose from. Not only that, but Fox used said staff exclusively in closed combat.

Caeda/Sheeda I think, since she's a Pegasus Knight, would probably use more poking A moves.

At least style wise, Krystal would rely on pressure and rush down while Caeda/Sheeda would be more defensive, relying much more on footsies.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
something ive been wondering... will we ever get a Football mario game? (not referring to soccer as football here, we are americans dammit!)

one last stand? isnt that a comedy show of smash?
closest thing we got to another smash right now is Super Smash Flash 2 (an upcoming flash game) and Super Smash Bros. Rumble (DS homebrew in development)

oh and, what no last story?
No we won't. There not going to make a game that only America, a much smaller market compared to Japan, will enjoy. MAYBE a Rugby game, but thats really unlikely.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Ah, do you know something that we don't seem to be comenting on, but may be a problem? The Golden Sun representative. I havn't looked up on the game all that much, but this Mathew guy is Isaac's kid, right? At this point I'd say that its likely that he's going to take the GS character spot, and that there may be an Isaac alt costume of some sort.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Or the other way round. I wouldn't be surprised if after Kid Icarus, Sakurai develops a 3DS Smash Bros.
Which is completely in the realm of possibility although that would probably mean downsizing things to make it work on a portable console. In other words, there would undoubtably be less contact unless there's something about the 3DS's capabilities I'm not aware about.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Now that I think about it, the only thing that would they would run into issues with is the screen size. Unlike other fighters, this has the option of having up to four players in any given fight all on the same screen. Can anyone imagine what it would be like trying to play on the 3DS on New Pork City? Not only that, but other fighters have an adjustable wall because knockback doesn't have as large of a role as in Super Smash Bros.

It'd be funny if the screen size was the thing holding it back.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
They could just make smaller levels, leaving out large ones such as Hyrule Temple and New Pork City. If they are roughly around the same size as Final Destination in width and about Princess Peach's castle in height I don't forsee the camera as much of a problem.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
if there is a 3DS Smash, it doesn't have to be like the previous installments. remember that every single smash game plays differently. we don't need to keep reviving the Temple stage, and New Pork City? please, like a massive stage is truly necessary, lets just keep the stages for any SSB-3DS small, normal and vertical.
wouldn't it be cool to play PictoChat stage in portable smash?

another idea of mine is to revitalize SSB64 on 3DS (bad idea i knows) all the chars that were in the original as well as those that were going to be there but were cut, and no forward b moves or chargeable normal moves. (DeDeDe is one of those that would have been in i think)
of course, it should have updatedness like OOT gets updatedness. does starfox get updatedness? i don't want to see no weird chars animations in that little hub screen, i want awesomeness.

Edit: it seems phoenix beat me to the punch... i guess i shouldn't have written all this extra stuff, took too much time.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
lol too big Sorry I couldn't resist. And what's this about them having to work in the Smash universe (after the SSE, I pretty much hate this)? I don't remember that being part of his criteria.
3. The character must fit into the style of Super Smash Bros.

I dont think Ridley fits this. I think his frame is to overbearing. Of course, Sakurai has yet to say it's impossible.
Well, we have these series that haven't been touched yet, including those on the way:
*list*
Punch-Out!
Sin and Punishment (Would the logo be the kanji?)-The problem I see is it is a very obscure game. But, then again, when has that stopped him?
Panel de Pon-Can Lip even fight. And does anyone want a fairy girl outside of "She's a girl."
Joy Mecha Fight-Sakurai has already given a no to this. Not to mention it's a series no one outside of Japan has even heard of with a pink robot.
Nazo no Murasame
Animal Crossing (Let's not get into this.)-Then why did you put it up? I agree with Sakurai. These characters don't fight, so they can't be in Smash Brothers. People think about things like this, and they may see it as odd that these characters are fighting one another.
Advance Wars-Who are you going to add
Chibi Robo-HA
Starfy-Starfy really isn't anything extraordinary, and it's not a very popular series either.
Xenoblade-We have to wait and see on this one.
The Last Story (Depending on how the story of this game is, we might get both protagonists)-Same as above

(Surprised you didn't mention Golden Sun or the Wii series). The ones I didn't comment on I think could work. I think S&P might work as well, but it would be adding things that people may be like "who" or "what."

Personally, I'd go no more than five just to avoid the legal messes.
Even 2 can become a legal fiasco. Copyright laws have serious teeth. Smash brothers can work so well because everyone is owned by Nintendo and Sakurai is good at designing characters to fit the game. It becomes problematic to get other companies involved. There become a large lack of communication and they may not hold the same trust as Nintendo developers and their partners share. They may also demand money and not everyone in their side may agree to it. Changes to cooperate powers may also block using those characters in the future. There are so many variables to balance. I don't think more than 3 could work.

There's a bit of a downside to that though and this is part of the reason I'm an advocate for an update on Brawl (just one) and future Smash games: It helps them refine their skills in the game, be it rebalancing, experimenting new ideas, or whatever.
What is this "downside?" Also, I see now way that what you said will actually make people want the game more.

libertyernie

Smash Ace
The 3DS has something important: an analog stick. And if they made a 3DS Smash Bros., Starfy might get in, since all 5 of his games have been on the GBA or DS.

UberMario

Smash Master
Considering the 3DS has a joystick, I can see a SSB3DS happening, since that would help with Smash attacks and leaves the D-pad for taunting or something else.

(If SSB3DS had a control scheme I created this is how I'd design it)

Control Stick: Shouldn't it be obvious? >_>
Start: Pause/Reset (with L+R+A)
Select (Hold): Hold and press a "+" direction to do a taunt
B: Special (lol)
A: Normal (lol)
Y: Jump
X: Jump (mostly because I'm not sure what else would be useful for it)
L:Shield/Roll
R:Grab/Drop or Throw Item
+:"C-Stick"/Camera Swap (See modes below)/Taunts (see above)
Home Button(online): Start texting
Screen (Modes switched by tapping the screen [tapping would be disabled while texting and would be enabled again after the text is sent], the change between modes would be instantaneous without fades so you could quickly "loop through" the modes to go back to the previous one:
-Texting mode (By clicking the home button while on wifi since the home button is disabled online, so might aswell give it a use by enabling a keyboard to come up on the touch screen
-Stat mode (Icons [lives, damage%, character icon, time, etc. are moved to the bottom of the screen to make the top screen unclutered.
-Closeup mode (Remember the screen on the Pokemon Stadium stage? Basically that's what the bottom screen would be for)
-Cinematic mode (Uses the sides of the + to focus on different characters, and the up and down on the + to use different angles)
-Map mode (basically fixed-camera mode view on the bottom screen with only icons)
(Plus usage for menus, etc.)

Of course we haven't heard of a SSB3DS, but you never know, maybe one of the developers will see this. :p

Pieman0920

Smash Master
In regards to the screen size issue, I would think that they would just have the camera fixated on the character that the player is controlling. There would also be color coded arrows that would point out where opponents are (like the arrows that show up when you're past the edge of the screen, but aren't past the KO zone) or possibly a map on the bottom screen. Pretty much what was done in JSS/JUS, which were pretty much Smash style games.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
3. The character must fit into the style of Super Smash Bros.

I dont think Ridley fits this. I think his frame is to overbearing. Of course, Sakurai has yet to say it's impossible.
After posting, that's what came to mind. There's really nothing from him being downsized. Look at the size differences between the Pokemon. If size is his only issue, then that's nothing compared to adapting 1983 Pacman for SSB.

What is this "downside?" Also, I see now way that what you said will actually make people want the game more.
The downside is that the engines are all so different from each other that they almost feel like different games. The updates, depending on how they're done, would indicate more of an evolution in the games then just "Change for the sake of change". Compare how much has changed over time from the first SFII to SSFIV. Mechanics came and went, some evolved into the present concepts while others have died out. The SSB series felt like they added on the shift to Melee and did a little too much streamlining in Brawl without much compensation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom