• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I've been lurking since before Melee, so I can telll ya that Smashboards just goes into hibrenation after a year or so from when a game is launched. Its still got some people, but its not nearly as many as pre-game and post-game for the first few months. I'd think the same cycle would occur, though to a lesser extent, if we get a portable Smash announced.

Anyways, by this time next week, we probably will have a lot more to talk about as far as predictions go, even if there is no Smash game. Lately I've been hearing a rumor that the game Retro has been working on is actually a new DK game that's supposed to revive the series (again I guess). If this turns out to be true, this should be very interesting, since it can make or break K.Rool or Dixie's chances.
Thr rumor came from a twitter post saying we will go ape or something at their announcement and people have taken it as Donkey Kong.

I still hope to see something on The Last Story, especially a trailer.

SHEIKNSHREEK

Smash Rookie
i got 2 things id like to see if there were to be a ssb4
1. i would replace goldeen with magicarp and make him be able to be hit like staffy, but if he gets hit into the water a gyradous appear where the magicarp was (assuming it evolved) and uses a supers strong hydro pump at who ever hit him into the water
2. they need to add new characters due to the fact that some players they can relate to (at least so ive heard) they should add a new girl with a different personallity such as lyn that would mean they would finally have a female that weilds a sword, and i would personally like to see isaac as a playable character

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I think everyone would love to play a Donkey Kong game that doesnt involve beating drums :p DK64 is one of my favorite games of all time, and if this IS a new Donkey kong game, and it does well enough maybe we will see King K rool in smash?

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Technically Mario is an antagonist when the story is told through DK's eye's and technically the name of the Game was Donkey Kong, while Mario was an unnamed character in his game. So technically Mario is a villain to DK.

BBQTV

Smash Master
their more like rivals now. anyway that ship has sailed a looong time ago

BBQTV

Smash Master
something about DK influenceung smash at e3. and your sig doesn't tell me much. something about wifi?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Oh hey. My signature explains a bit of my leaf of absence in this thread but hey, I brought you guys fatmanonice back.

So, what new info to influence discussion do you guys think will be shown at E3?
  • Nintendo's future business plans - I think it would be nice if their liking for user generated content is reflected in a refined stage builder and maybe customized textures. It might also gives a clue in general as to what will happen with the next one. Will it be even more casual, crank the competitive aspect to 11, or something else?
  • The Last Story - Find out both more about the characters and the gameplay itself
  • Zelda Wii - In b4 Zordiana for SSB4
  • Some revived franchise - Because recent = guaranteed in SSB4
  • Metroid Other M - Probably discussion of possible changes to Samus moves wise, new characters to discuss, and the return of the forbidden purple dragon
  • Golden Sun 3

Everything else is up in the air such as the possible Retro Donkey Kong, a return for Star Fox, Pikmin 3, Pokemon Black and White, and more.

BBQTV

Smash Master
  • Nintendo's future business plans - I think it would be nice if their liking for user generated content is reflected in a refined stage builder and maybe customized textures. It might also gives a clue in general as to what will happen with the next one. Will it be even more casual, crank the competitive aspect to 11, or something else?
  • The Last Story - Find out both more about the characters and the gameplay itself
  • Zelda Wii - In b4 Zordiana for SSB4
  • Some revived franchise - Because recent = guaranteed in SSB4
  • Metroid Other M - Probably discussion of possible changes to Samus moves wise, new characters to discuss, and the return of the forbidden purple dragon
  • Golden Sun 3

Everything else is up in the air such as the possible Retro Donkey Kong, a return for Star Fox, Pikmin 3, Pokemon Black and White, and more.
tl:dr version

a whole bunch of **** is happening

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
It probably has something to do with Nintendo deciding to be more hush-hush after the massive hype trains that were Twilight Princess and Brawl. That, and who knows how much has changed in the game since we last saw it. No sense in getting us hyped for something that might get cut.

I'm hoping during Microsoft's conference tomorrow I see something on Vanquish or MvC3.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Wouldn't MvC3 be shown in the third-party one or something?

And yeah, I suppose that's true. While I don't want them to go hype-crazy about it however, It's kinda disheartening when a whole new title is one of the biggest things from last year's show and it's been a year with such small info. I guess that's possibly due to the 3DS.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
It probably has something to do with Nintendo deciding to be more hush-hush after the massive hype trains that were Twilight Princess and Brawl. That, and who knows how much has changed in the game since we last saw it. No sense in getting us hyped for something that might get cut.

I'm hoping during Microsoft's conference tomorrow I see something on Vanquish or MvC3.
Oh man, I cannot wait for MvC3...even if the cast has been cut way down.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Wouldn't MvC3 be shown in the third-party one or something?
For some reason I had a gap in logic there and I thought Vanquish was 360 exclusive. I meant to say that I hope to see something on them today.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Anyways, by this time next week, we probably will have a lot more to talk about as far as predictions go, even if there is no Smash game. Lately I've been hearing a rumor that the game Retro has been working on is actually a new DK game that's supposed to revive the series (again I guess). If this turns out to be true, this should be very interesting, since it can make or break K.Rool or Dixie's chances.
I heard about that last night. I really like the idea of Retro working on a DK game simply because they almost have as much talent as the old RARE did and, truth be told, are similar in a lot of ways. (Most notably, getting put on the map aftering reviving older Nintendo franchises.) They did a fantastic job reviving Metroid and I wouldn't put it past them to create a reboot of DK that would blow us away.

Speaking of reboots, I wonder what Ganon Level Five is up to? They said they had a high interest in making another Punch-Out (which is phenomenal, if you haven't played it) or possibly reviving another franchise like Pilot Wings. Still, E3's only a day away and I can't wait to see what happens.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
To my knowledge we are going to see at least a public announcement of Pikmin 3 at E3, so that would be nice.

Yeah, Donkey Kong revival, Zelda Wii, The Last Story, Pikmin 3, Dragon Quest IX, Metroid: Other M, and Marvel Vs Capcom 3. This will be a very nice E3 for me if everything falls into place.

Also, nice to see you back Koops.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Boy did Microsoft's E3 conference stink. The only thing I really like was MGS Rising.

Nintendo just has to show a Zelda trailer and they beat Microsoft, no questions asked.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Microsoft's conference was good for few people in various ways, like the new 360 is extremely good for me since I have an HD but won't get the 360 until next year.

That said, E3 is turning out pretty disappointing so far. Ah well, there were few years I saw that I liked in the first place.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
E3 is fantastic <3 Tomorrow will be great, microsoft was...... yeahh....

but anyways! My has had mucho votes so i thought i should give you and update! Most votes came from users here, deviantart, and a few yahoo answers users so its spanned across hardcore gamers to casual gamers. Ill just be doing top three most votes, asides from mario, Pokemon, and 3rd parties

Mario Series (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser return)
top five most votes:
1st Waluigi- 11 votes
2nd Bowser Jr.- 10 votes
3rd Rosalina- 7 votes
tied for 4th Toad and Paper Mario - 6 votes

Legend Of Zelda Series (Link, Zelda/Sheik, Ganondorf, toon link)
1st Midna w/ Wolf Link
2nd Tied Skull Kid and Toon Zelda/Tetra - 6 votes

Yoshi series
1st (No more Yoshi characters) - 9 votes
2nd Kamek - 7 votes
3rd Shy Guy (Generic or specific)

Wario Series
1st (No more Wario characters) - 11 votes
2nd Kat and Ana - 6 votes
3rd 9 volt/18 volt - 4 votes

Pokemon series (Pikachu, Jigglypuff and PT return)
1st Mewtwo - 11 votes
2nd Lucario - 10 votes
3rd three way tie Female third gen PT (Blazakin, Sceptile, Mudkip), Gold (Typhlosion, Crocnaw, Bayleaf), Zoroark - 7 votes

Mother series (Ness, Lucas return)
1st (No more Earthbound characters) - 19 votes!!!!!
2nd Porky - 5 votes
3rd Claus - 4 votes

Fire emblem (Marth and Ike return)
1st tied Roy and Black Knight - 13 votes
3rd Lyndis - 7 votes

Kirby series everyone returns
1st (No more Kirby Characters) - 17 votes
2nd Galactic Knight - 7 votes
3rd Dark Matter - 4 votes

DK series everyone returns
1st King K rool - 13 votes
2nd Dixie - 7 votes
3rd tied (no more dk characters), Funky Kong - 6 votes

Star Fox (Fox, Falco and Wolf return)
1st Krystal - 15 votes
2nd tied Leon, (No more Fox characters - 5 votes

Retro Characters (IC and Mr. G&W)
1st R.O.B - 15 votes
2nd Pit - 12 votes
3rd Little Mac - 9 votes

Small Franchises (olimar returns)
1st Issac - 15 votes
2nd three way tie Saki, Animal Crossing Character, Custom Robo character - 8 votes

F-Zero
1st (No more F-Zero Characters) - 13 votes
2nd Samurai Gorah - 10 votes
3rd. Black shadow - votes

Metriod Series
1st Ridley - 15 votes
2nd Dark Samus - 11 votes
3rd Meta Ridley - 10 votes

THIRD PARTIES!!!! My favorite part!! ( No one returns, due to the option to say you want no third paties)

1st Megaman - 18 votes
2nd Sonic -16 votes
3rd Snake - 15 votes
4th Shadow - 14 votes
5th BomberMan - 13 votes

This was out of 24 different third party character choices, so dont think bomberman got in their out of the fact these were the only choices!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
About the DK thing I thought it would be more obvious if the people who made Punch Out!! Wii were reviving the series.

Anyway, did any1 ever think about him using his Kongo Klap from Jungle Beat in a smash game? Instead of the shockwave it produced, they could just downgrade it to directional like in the wii version.

Also, did any1 consider the Primid to represent the smash series? It is the first enemy you see in Subspace.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
i was never truly passionate of anything, really...
i just saw the 3DS and Kid Icarus: Uprising...
I almost cried, i haven't cried in over 5 years, if that is the graphics for 3DS, then, i will do the best i can as an artist to make money to get that 3DS AND KID ICARUS RISING!
and it could mean that medusa gets to be a final boss akin to my idea as many final bosses : Medusa, Zero-Two, Andross, etc.
if i showed any emotion in class, then i would have to correct that, as i am traditionally emotionally detached.
oh and my mouth kinda quivered. i had to cover up with my hand.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Palutena for SSB4 anyone?

With that aside, boy do we have a lot of material now to discuss.

DAS

Smash Ace
NNID
DAS1989
I don't really care as long as it stops all the complaining and bashing going on in this scene

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
wouldn't she be like, uber strong compared to pit? she gave him powers! imagine what she could do if she actually wanted to fight others. though im not against the idea. i love Project SORA soo much, i am really glad they kept it super hush hush.
(more femme fatale, w00t) Masahiro Sakurai could succeed Keiji Inafune as my all time favorite human being.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
In regards to character chances, I don't think anything changed much besides K.Rool and Dixie pottentially going down (Doesn't seem Dixie's there, and it looks like there is a new villain). For both though, only time will tell.

As for Kid Icarus...maybe Palutena? Eggplant Wizard? Again, more time is needed to tell.

EDIT OH BOY EDIT: 3DS game list got announced. Paper Mario and Star Fox 64 3D's names were on it. Pilot Wings, AC, and MK too. (And Snake Eater and SFIV? Oh my body sure is ready)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
In regards to character chances, I don't think anything changed much besides K.Rool and Dixie pottentially going down (Doesn't seem Dixie's there, and it looks like there is a new villain). For both though, only time will tell.

As for Kid Icarus...maybe Palutena? Eggplant Wizard? Again, more time is needed to tell.

EDIT OH BOY EDIT: 3DS game list got announced. Paper Mario and Star Fox 64 3D's names were on it. Piolet Wings, AC, and MK too. (And Snake Eater and SFIV? Oh ny body sure is ready)
... .... ... *dies*

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

EDIT OH BOY EDIT: 3DS game list got announced. Paper Mario and Star Fox 64 3D's names were on it. Piolet Wings, AC, and MK too. (And Snake Eater and SFIV? Oh ny body sure is ready)
I am so glad I had this day off. X)

BTW, here is the list for those interested.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm curious as to why they're doing a 3DS version of Starfox 64. Is this going to be testing the waters for a true sequel?
@Pieman
Dixie could very be an unlockable character. Not counting on it though.

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
Nintendo have won me over for the next 20 odd years. All I need now is Pikmin and F-Zero and I'll consider Sony and Microsoft DEAD.

Also: Medusa looks pretty **** cool. Villain rep anyone?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Pikmin 3 will probably be revealed at the Nintendo conference in the fall. I think Nintendo revealed plenty today considering they just revealed new games for Kid Icarus, Zelda, DK, Golden Sun, Mario, Kirby, Nintendogs, and have shown several franchises waiting in the wings with Star Fox, Pilotwings, Paper Mario, and Animal Crossing. Really, they almost revealed too much. :laugh:

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
We deserve it. In fairness we have been loyal to them even after E3 2008. Pilotwings is coming back which is awesome! I might sell my XBox for the 3DS...

Also: Kirby-tank has to be his new Final Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom