• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQTV

Smash Master
What exactly do yous ee as a problem for the projectiles? That you couldn't see them coming from an opponent pottentially? I'd assume that given the map and/or arrows that would indicate where the opponent is, you'd know their general position well enough. You also have to take in to consideration that they likely couldn't see you if you can't see them.

Also with the item or assist calling thing, I'd say that the button would be big enough that you could just tap the screen, instead of breaking out a stylus.
are you serious? having an arrow show where my opponent is would not be fun. im sorry but thats just dumb

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
well in the end, since everyone pretty much said everything i said and spread it amongst your own comments, speaking as if it was your own thoughts (which they most likely were, im just saying that i said all that in my rant).
you see?! what kuma said on experimenting and then pieman said..."like kuma said, experimenting"
(feels like i don't exist. feels like im fading, again)
I didn't credit you, but your post made me think about it.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
are you serious? having an arrow show where my opponent is would not be fun. im sorry but thats just dumb
You do know I mean only if they are out of your perspective, right? You know like how there are arrows that point at you or your opponent if you go beyond the stage screen boundry, but aren't in the KO zone. Would not having any indication as to where they are be funner for you?

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
i would have guessed that it was your own thoughts seeing as that is what i make of you based on your comments in ssb4GDG. (speaking of, i left a comment)

ok... i have been playing Golden Sun on visualBoy, all of the psynergy seem really drastic and over the top... the move psynergy is big, in both the game and in the assist trophy. in terms of fitting in with the playstyles of the other combatants, Saki Amamiya kinda fits in more than Issac in terms of viable specials, only problem is that Saki fails in popularity.
I don't want to have to browse through nonsense to find a good Issac specials moveset, i want to know here and now!
Force is good tho. i really want that one in.

Maripu

Smash Cadet
You do know I mean only if they are out of your perspective, right? You know like how there are arrows that point at you or your opponent if you go beyond the stage screen boundry, but aren't in the KO zone. Would not having any indication as to where they are be funner for you?
Wouldn't it make more sense just to shrink the stage? Of course that's where the small screen comes in and everything. But zooming in on the player would be really stupid in my opinion.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
@People who say "Temple can't work on a small screen."

Well, they could just design all the stages around the hardware. That would make sense.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Uh oh looks like K. Rool's chances of being in Donkey Kong Country Returns just got downgraded (or maybe outright confirmed he won't be in it.):

IGN: How directly are you going to connect Donkey Kong Country Returns to the classic Super Nintendo games? Are you borrowing from the level designs? Are there going to be a lot of winks and nods? Could you give us an example of something you might see in the game that would refer back to the SNES?

Tanabe: The control of Donkey Kong himself -- the way he moves and his gait -- that's all very much referencing the original Donkey Kong Country series titles that have come along in the past. And you'll also see several different aspects of the game that have been key to the series thus far, making an appearance here again -- such as the way the barrel cannons blast you, the way you utilize barrels in the environment, or, as you may have noticed, all the mine cart stages. But naturally we're not taking those elements in the same configurations and just updating them. There are lots of little tweaks to design and flow that make it a very new experience.

Retro: There are no crocodiles in the game. (laughs)

Pieman0920

Smash Master
@Maripu

I'm not proposing that its zoomed in at the maximum, but rather that the camera is at a set distance from the character and that it doesn't expand out when someone moves out farther away. You could have it so that its like the maximum distance for Yoshi's Story in Melee, and that would work just fine on the screen size. Another option would be that the screen could be adjusted to zoom in or zoom out via the touch screen, or the x or y buttons. (Or possibly just done prior to a match in an options menu)

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
@Maripu/Panera Bread: Pieman pretty much explained it already (kinda soon for console Smash, portable would be nice since it'd be a first), but there's also little stuff like this that gets people excited:

Also anyone worried about the small screen shouldn't be unless they typically play handhelds several feet away from their heads.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Uh oh looks like K. Rool's chances of being in Donkey Kong Country Returns just got downgraded (or maybe outright confirmed he won't be in it.):

IGN: How directly are you going to connect Donkey Kong Country Returns to the classic Super Nintendo games? Are you borrowing from the level designs? Are there going to be a lot of winks and nods? Could you give us an example of something you might see in the game that would refer back to the SNES?

Tanabe: The control of Donkey Kong himself -- the way he moves and his gait -- that's all very much referencing the original Donkey Kong Country series titles that have come along in the past. And you'll also see several different aspects of the game that have been key to the series thus far, making an appearance here again -- such as the way the barrel cannons blast you, the way you utilize barrels in the environment, or, as you may have noticed, all the mine cart stages. But naturally we're not taking those elements in the same configurations and just updating them. There are lots of little tweaks to design and flow that make it a very new experience.

Retro: There are no crocodiles in the game. (laughs)
I get more of the impression that he means no Kremling enemies, not that K. Rool cannot make an appearance. I hope so but if not what can you do? Still will be a great game.

Also, Kenji Yamamoto is composing (and remixing in some cases) the music for the game. If there is anybody outside of David Wise I could trust with creating beautiful, ambiant music it is him.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I get more of the impression that he means no Kremling enemies, not that K. Rool cannot make an appearance. I hope so but if not what can you do? Still will be a great game.

Also, Kenji Yamamoto is composing (and remixing in some cases) the music for the game. If there is anybody outside of David Wise I could trust with creating beautiful, ambiant music it is him.
K Rool Could be like Ganondorf now! We all expect the main bad guy of a game to be who it obviously should be (Vaati) Then You find out that its this other guy behind EVERYTHING! (Ganondorf)

Oh Ganondorf, you sly dog you ;)

That p!ssed me off, so much....

@Toise, What game is that picture from!?

@Augusto, at least youre realitivly recognized in this community, I still feel like the annoying little brother of the group XP

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@Maripu

I'm not proposing that its zoomed in at the maximum, but rather that the camera is at a set distance from the character and that it doesn't expand out when someone moves out farther away. You could have it so that its like the maximum distance for Yoshi's Story in Melee, and that would work just fine on the screen size. Another option would be that the screen could be adjusted to zoom in or zoom out via the touch screen, or the x or y buttons. (Or possibly just done prior to a match in an options menu)
Depending on the size of the stages, you might very well just keep the camera at a constant size, but I don't know how that'd work though.

@Shortie
That's from a 3DS tech demo that let people get a feel for the 3D. The same demo lets you check out other Mario characters and the Pikmin.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
If all you naysayers want an idea of how a Smash game can look fine on the 3DS, here.

I took a snapshot from a real match on Youtube, minimized it to the 3DS' screen frame and overlayed it. Even threw in a little bit of blue blur for a tad screen effect.

Though hardly proof maybe it will open your minds a little.

BBQTV

Smash Master
that kinda how i thought it would look like. i have no idea whh pieman thinks such a carzy thing

Pieman0920

Smash Master
BBQ, were you even listening to me? I was just suggesting that the camera shouldn't pull back in larger stages, and if a opponent goes beyond the camera's eye there should be an arrow that indicates where they are....like how Smash does it already in certain instances. A map on the bottom could also work well enough to give their exact location on a large and more complicated stage such as Temple or New Pork City.

D

Deleted member

@ChronoBound: Your fear is probably a concidence. In the bolded, you included the (laughter) part, indicating that they weren't serious. If they were, that part wouldn't be included. So therefore, it is for not, a concidence.

BBQTV

Smash Master
BBQ, were you even listening to me? I was just suggesting that the camera shouldn't pull back in larger stages, and if a opponent goes beyond the camera's eye there should be an arrow that indicates where they are....like how Smash does it already in certain instances. A map on the bottom could also work well enough to give their exact location on a large and more complicated stage such as Temple or New Pork City.
oh you mean larger stages? i thought you wanted the whole thing that way. anyway what characters would be in this game? how may ect...

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
can someone do that 3ds again but wit new pork city? ya know, for teh lulz.
(gawd, i hate 1337 speak, its so ghey, its a good thing hardly anyone here does it)

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I'm just saying, but seeing the joypad on the 3DS is making me think more and more that the next Smash Bros will be on the 3DS.

As long as there is a new one, I don't care which of the two platforms it is on. As long as the gameplay is good and we get some great new characters, they can put it on whatever platform they want.

libertyernie

Smash Ace
I had what I think is a great idea. What about a 1-player Subspace-like game on the 3DS? It would refine the SSE game mechanics, to make it the best version of what it could be: a side-scrolling Kirby-style hack-n-slash. One-player would be the focus, but there would also be a VS mode.
This way, it wouldn't be a Smash game at all, so it wouldn't have to live up to the same expectations.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I would personally go for a 25 character roster like this:

1. Mario
  2. Donkey Kong
  3. Link
  4. Samus/Zero Suit Samus
  5. Fox
  6. Yoshi
  7. Kirby
  8. Pikachu
  9. Capt. Falcon
  10. Ness
  11. Luigi
  12. Jigglypuff

These twelve are in because they are the original 12. I feel that for every SSB games, these guys have to be in.

Now for the remaining thirteen:
  1. Zelda/Sheik
  2. Ganondorf
  3. Peach
  4. Bowser
  5. Ice Climbers
  6. Marth
  7. Pit
  8. Olimar
  9. Wario
  10. Isaac
  11. Little Mac
  12. Saki
  13. Lip
As you noticed, there are only four newcomers.

Maripu

Smash Cadet
I would personally go for a 25 character roster like this:

As you noticed, there are only four newcomers.
I really doubt that so many insignificant characters would be included. I could see IC since they are staple now and also pretty cool, but Isaac, Saki, Lip, and Little Mac would probably not have any chance of happening.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I would think that for a portable game, and not a main game, the original 12 may not all need to get in. Specifically, I'd think Ness and Jigglypuff would get the boot. Lucas works well enough, especially as his game was portable, and Jiggs spot could go to a better choice. After those 10, I could see it going...

1. Toon Zelda/Spirit Armor (Something a bit different than normal that probably wouldn't happen in a main game)
2. Ganondorf
3. Bowser
4. Peach
5. Marth
6. Lucas
7. Wario
8. Mewtwo
9. Pit
10. Krystal
11. Lip
12. Starfy
13. Mathew
14. Andy
15. ??? - Pokemon (5th gen, 6th gen, whateva)

Third Party Character #26: Simon Belmont.

...Well that's what I'd like... At the very least I feel that the newcomers should come more from the handheld games.

@Maripu: There would be newcomers and not just veterans you know.

Maripu

Smash Cadet
I would think that for a portable game, and not a main game, the original 12 may not all need to get in. Specifically, I'd think Ness and Jigglypuff would get the boot. Lucas works well enough, especially as his game was portable, and Jiggs spot could go to a better choice. After those 10, I could see it going...

Third Party Character #26: Simon Belmont.

...Well that's what I'd like... At the very least I feel that the newcomers should come more from the handheld games.

@Maripu: There would be newcomers and not just veterans you know.
Why would Lucas get in over Ness, and Mewtwo over Jigglypuff? (Not to mention a third Pokemon over Jigglypuff). I think Ness and Jigglypuff are both quite a bit more staple than quite a few of the characters you mentioned. (And Toon Zelda? Really?)

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I think that, like in my roster every character should have at least been on the ds platform once. I didnt just leave out Captain Falcon for nothin! Thats why I didnt put in roy or Ike either. They have never been on the ds. Thats why caeda is their.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Why would Lucas get in over Ness, and Mewtwo over Jigglypuff? (Not to mention a third Pokemon over Jigglypuff). I think Ness and Jigglypuff are both quite a bit more staple than quite a few of the characters you mentioned. (And Toon Zelda? Really?)
Yeah I can see that all happening. As I said a portable Smash game doesn't need to have a standard lineup that you'd see in a console game. Mewtwo has a lot of people asking for him, and I think it'd be okay for a game with an abridged character list to take out Jiggs and put in Mewtwo, since its not like Jiggs is that popular.As for Ness, I said it already, but Lucas is the portable character, so I feel he's more appropriate for a portable game. Seriously though, they are only staples of the series in the sense that they were part of the original 8. As far as ranking up to other Nintendo characters, both of their glory days have long been passed, and there are better characters from their own series that would be a nice change of pace.

As for Toon Zelda, on second thought she might not be an ideal choice. I feel that the Toon versions of the Zelda characters would probably be best suited for a portable game, but I also forgot to think about OoT's remake. I also didn't take into consideration that if you have Toon Zelda, then you should have Toon Link.

@Shortie: I'd at least expand that to include GB and GBA. (Technically in that capacity, Captain Falcon has shown up. If you include the GBA slot, then Cap has shown up on the DS)

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Well, my character list is outdated ever since E3. Unfotunetly i made this literally like the night before nintendos showing at E3. Before then both Toon Link and Phantom Zelda/Armor were pretty up-to-date. Also, does the remake of star fox make krystal out-of-date? D:

Luke for SSB4 X)

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I like Pieman's list the best as it almost exactly resembles mine. Only thing I disagree with is the third party character as it would more than likely be Megaman, and as strange as it may sound it would be Megaman.EXE at that.

Well, my character list is outdated ever since E3. Unfotunetly i made this literally like the night before nintendos showing at E3. Before then both Toon Link and Phantom Zelda/Armor were pretty up-to-date. Also, does the remake of star fox make krystal out-of-date? D:

Luke for SSB4 X)

Technically it does and at the same time it doesn't.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I like Pieman's list the best as it almost exactly resembles mine. Only thing I disagree with is the third party character as it would more than likely be Megaman, and as strange as it may sound it would be Megaman.EXE at that.

Technically it does and at the same time it doesn't.
How so? Im curious.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
How so? Im curious.
Unless one of Nintendo's "enhancements" to Starfox 64 3D is a Krystal mode I think it will be safe to say yes. After this I do not expect to see a real Star Fox sequel for quite awhile...

But, since we do not know for sure if Star Fox 64 3D is a kind of side development akin to the Ocarina of Time remake and Skyward Sword no one can really say this or that.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
27 characters sounds good for Smash 3DS... here's my roster.

Mario Kart 3DS
1. Mario
2. Luigi
3. Peach
4. Bowser
5. Toad
6. Yoshi
7. Donkey Kong
8. Wario

Zelda series + Tingle series
9. Toon Link (named just "Link" in the game)
10. Toon Zelda (named just "Zelda" in the game)
11. Tingle

Pokemon HGSS + BW
12. Pikachu
13. Pokemon Trainer (Gold with 2nd gen starters)
14. Zoroark

Kirby Super Star Ultra
15. Kirby
16. Meta Knight
17. King Dedede

Star Fox 64 3D
18. Fox
19. Wolf

Portable RPG Heroes
20. Marth
21. Lucas
22. Matthew (from Golden Sun: Dark Dawn)

Other Portable Heroes
23. Samus / Zero Suit Samus
24. Mr. Game & Watch
25. Pit
26. Starfy
27. Muddy Mole (from Mole Mania)

8 newcomers, 10 if you count Pokemon Trainer's 2nd gen starters, and we have a grand total of 30 characters when you count transformations. And yes, I am one of those people who don't care about the Original 12. I feel it is very limiting and stale...

n88

Smash Lord
Since we seem to be having this massive outpouring of 3DS rosters, I figured I'd join in. I'd imagine the final product looking something more like this:

Super Mario Bros
1) Mario
2) Luigi
3) Peach
4) Bowser
5) Yoshi

Donkey Kong
6) Donkey Kong
7) Diddy Kong

WarioWare/Land
8) Wario

The Legend of Zelda
9) Link (Toon)
10) Zelda (Toon)
11) Ganondorf (Toon)

Metroid
12) Samus
13) ZSS (Trans. of Samus)

Kirby Superstar
14) Kirby
15) Meta Knight
16) King Dedede

StarFox
17) Fox
18) Falco
19) Wolf

Pokemon
20) Pikachu
21) Jigglypuff
22) Mewtwo
23) Zoroark (Yes, it's just because he seems to be the 5th Gen poster Boy)

Other
24) Marth
25) Ness
26) Captain Falcon
27) Olimar
28) Pit
29) Starfy
30) Little Mac

So, that comes out to 30 Characters with transformations. I wasn't shooting for some arbitrary number, which seems to be the popular thing to do, though. I just put down the characters I thought should be in. The characters from Brawl not on here are Ice Climbers, ROB, Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, a second Link, Lucas, Ike, Game & Watch, and the Third Parties.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Eh, I guess I'll take a stab at it, too.

Mario
1) Mario
2) Luigi
3) Bowser
4) Peach
5) Yoshi

Donkey Kong
6) Donkey Kong
7) Diddy Kong
8) King K. Rool

WarioWare
9) Wario

The Legend of Zelda
10) Link
11) Zelda/Sheik
12) Toon Link

Metroid
13) Samus/ZSS
14) Ridley

Kirby
15) Kirby
16) Metaknight
17) King Dedede

Starfox
18) Fox
19) Falco

Pokemon
20) Pikachu
21) Mewtwo
22) Zoroark

Other
23) Marth
24) Ness
25) Captain Falcon
26) Pit
27) Little Mac
28) Sonic
29) Snake
30) Megaman

Another list rounded out to 30 for a hypothetical Super Smash Bros 3DS.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
@Arc's list:
I wouldn't try expanding the Mario roster for a portable game that will probably have less characters, thus I wouldn't add in Toad (Or Bowser Jr. or anyone new at this point) The four Mario characters from Melee is sort of pushing it as it is. For Star Fox, I feel that you can sort of reboot the series and give it Krystal without worrying about Wolf and Falco, but if you don't want to add in Krystal due to worries about Star Fox 64 DS, or other grievances, Falco is the better pick than Wolf by a long shot. Next off, I'd say give Kirby only one of those two characters instead of both. After that, I'd say replace the cut Toad and Kirby character spots with Samus and Captain Falcon. Maybe there's someone else you could cut there for Ganondorf. (Not going to get into Muddy Mole there. If that's your random character, then that's your random character)

@n88's list:
If you have ZSS as a seperate character from Samus, are you going to give Toon Zelda a transformation, or just keep her as a normal character? I'd cut out Wolf, a Kirby character, and Jiggs, and replace Ness with Lucas (and maybe get rid of Diddy) but I think those opinions are things I've already said quite a bit. Outside of that, the biggest problem with your list is that you give newcomers the shaft. You have three new guys, and not a single rep from Golden Sun. Little Mac should probably also wait until a console game, but that's just my opinion there.

@Rapture's List:
Kind of the same problems in regards to newcomers, with the total being five there, but that's better. I'd also doubt K.Rool alot with his apparent exclusion from the series revival. I'd also say that Ridley should wait until a console due to his complexity, but then again who am I to say what the 3DS can or cannot handle. Also I kind of doubt that we would get three third parties for it. I'm betting one at the most.

Maripu

Smash Cadet
Yeah I can see that all happening. As I said a portable Smash game doesn't need to have a standard lineup that you'd see in a console game. Mewtwo has a lot of people asking for him, and I think it'd be okay for a game with an abridged character list to take out Jiggs and put in Mewtwo, since its not like Jiggs is that popular.As for Ness, I said it already, but Lucas is the portable character, so I feel he's more appropriate for a portable game. Seriously though, they are only staples of the series in the sense that they were part of the original 8. As far as ranking up to other Nintendo characters, both of their glory days have long been passed, and there are better characters from their own series that would be a nice change of pace.

As for Toon Zelda, on second thought she might not be an ideal choice. I feel that the Toon versions of the Zelda characters would probably be best suited for a portable game, but I also forgot to think about OoT's remake. I also didn't take into consideration that if you have Toon Zelda, then you should have Toon Link.

@Shortie: I'd at least expand that to include GB and GBA. (Technically in that capacity, Captain Falcon has shown up. If you include the GBA slot, then Cap has shown up on the DS)
The idea of a portable roster would be to cut back to the basics, not to just have a roster of completely random characters. And while Mewtwo may be "popular", he's nowhere near as popular as Jigglypuff, nor has he appeared in as many Smash games, it would seem really strange to include him over Jiggs. ("its not like Jiggs is that popular"...lol)

You seem to be thinking that just because you aren't infatuated with them means no one is. And besides, it's not like Mewtwo and Lucas are any more popular with American players. Japanese players probably prefer Lucas to Ness, but at the same time many American players have no idea who Lucas is. (Though a Japanese player would recognize Ness)

So substituting Smash staples for two characters which have only appeared in a single Smash game seems really strange to me. I also don't think characters should be included just because they are "portable" characters. That should have absolutely nothing to do with the selection.

Honestly I imagine a portable Smash having barely any new characters at all, if any, and not making so many strange cuts as I have seen suggested in this thread.

D

Deleted member

I personally think that we may not even receive a third-party character. We all know how difficult it'll be to get a 3rd party character in a console Smash game. Now imagine a handheld Super Smash Bros. game (Which I do want, don't get me wrong). I honestly doubt we'll see one. Most of Solid Snake's handheld apperance have been on the Playstation Portable. Sonic was once Nintendo's rival and Sega had a rival handheld, so I'm not sure if Sega will keep Sonic in.

The only good option, as others have explained, is Mega Man. I'd prefer the classic form.

As for my character roster, that could be a bit difficult to pull off. I don't think we'll reach Super Smash Bros. Melee in terms of character roster. Probably betweeen the original and Super Smash Bros. Melee, so that would elminate the need of a third-party character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom