• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
The idea of a portable roster would be to cut back to the basics, not to just have a roster of completely random characters. And while Mewtwo may be "popular", he's nowhere near as popular as Jigglypuff, nor has he appeared in as many Smash games, it would seem really strange to include him over Jiggs. ("its not like Jiggs is that popular"...lol)

You seem to be thinking that just because you aren't infatuated with them means no one is. And besides, it's not like Mewtwo and Lucas are any more popular with American players. Japanese players probably prefer Lucas to Ness, but at the same time many American players have no idea who Lucas is. (Though a Japanese player would recognize Ness)

So substituting Smash staples for two characters which have only appeared in a single Smash game seems really strange to me. I also don't think characters should be included just because they are "portable" characters. That should have absolutely nothing to do with the selection.

Honestly I imagine a portable Smash having barely any new characters at all, if any, and not making so many strange cuts as I have seen suggested in this thread.
...Its not random at all. Virtually all the characters in the list are the main characters of their games or major supporting characters.

Outside of Smash, Jigglypuff isn't popular. Not really that popular at all I'd say. She used to be, but times change. In Smash, she's generally considered a joke character, though she is beloved to a certain extent. I wouldn't suggest cutting her from a main console game, but for a portable one like this, I think the characters that are included should be evaluated for what they are now, rather than just picking them because they were in Smash before. Thus I think Jiggs should get the boot for a portable game because she's not that popular right now, and she's not really a retro character. At the same time, I don't think Mewtwo has what it takes to get into a console game, so I feel that it would be nice to let him show back up in a portable Smash game, especially as there is a large number of people asking for him to get in.

Most American players have no idea who Ness is outside of Smash. Fans of Earthbound who do know him though, probably have played Mother 3 via whatever means, so Western fans do know Lucas very well.

And as I said, Smash is about Nintendo all-stars, and thus if those two characters really can't be considered all stars, I don't think there's any problem with letting them go for a portable game. Given how there will clearly be cuts to the characters, its only natural that ther ewill be a bit of a remix of the characters, and those two in particular have nothing going for them other than just being in the first Smash.

And honestly new guy, what exactly is your idea of a portable Smash? So far all you've done is complain about how it wouldn't work, and then complain when people don't have an exact roster like we already have. We're not speculating about a new Smash game for the 3DS, not a 3D remake like SF64 and OoT.

@SSSF: Given recent participation with Sega, I don't think that's an issue...like at all. And we are getting Snake Eater for the DS, so Snake isn't much of an issue either. I'm not saying we would get our third party characters back for a portable game, but the past projects of the other companies doesn't really matter in this regard.

Maripu

Smash Cadet
...Its not random at all. Virtually all the characters in the list are the main characters of their games or major supporting characters.

Outside of Smash, Jigglypuff isn't popular. Not really that popular at all I'd say. She used to be, but times change. In Smash, she's generally considered a joke character, though she is beloved to a certain extent. I wouldn't suggest cutting her from a main console game, but for a portable one like this, I think the characters that are included should be evaluated for what they are now, rather than just picking them because they were in Smash before. Thus I think Jiggs should get the boot for a portable game because she's not that popular right now, and she's not really a retro character. At the same time, I don't think Mewtwo has what it takes to get into a console game, so I feel that it would be nice to let him show back up in a portable Smash game, especially as there is a large number of people asking for him to get in.

Most American players have no idea who Ness is outside of Smash. Fans of Earthbound who do know him though, probably have played Mother 3 via whatever means, so Western fans do know Lucas very well.

And as I said, Smash is about Nintendo all-stars, and thus if those two characters really can't be considered all stars, I don't think there's any problem with letting them go for a portable game. Given how there will clearly be cuts to the characters, its only natural that ther ewill be a bit of a remix of the characters, and those two in particular have nothing going for them other than just being in the first Smash.

And honestly new guy, what exactly is your idea of a portable Smash? So far all you've done is complain about how it wouldn't work, and then complain when people don't have an exact roster like we already have. We're not speculating about a new Smash game for the 3DS, not a 3D remake like SF64 and OoT.
How can you include Starfy and Lip in a game for "Nintendo all stars". Just because they're the main characters in their games doesn't make them all stars.

And you're severely (and I mean severely) underestimating Jiggs' and Ness' popularity and overestimating Lucas' and Mewtwo's popularity. To say Ness is less popular than Lucas wouldn't be incorrect, but to say Jigglypuff is less popular than Mewtwo would almost certainly be incorrect. And what makes Mewtwo more of an all star than Jigglypuff. Unlike Mewtwo, Jigglypuff has appeared in nearly every Pokemon game to date.

And new guy lol... So when do I lose the title of "new guy", since I apparently haven't lost it in the 2.5 years I've been here?

D

Deleted member

I can't make an exact character roster yet, but I will eventually. But it'll require some thinking IMO.

Super Mario Bros.: Mario and Luigi should undoubtely stay as they were a part of the original twelve. I don't think just those two will stasify, thought. As Peach and Bowser were meant for the original game, but got pushed back to Super Smash Bros. Melee, they sound like logical choices as well. However, four might be overrepresenting the franchise. I suggest kicking the princess and keeping the flaming koopa.

Donkey Kong: Donkey Kong must stay, no execption. As for Diddy Kong, he won't be a bad choice either. I don't think we can add another character, thought, as the franchise is generally regarded with consoles.

Yoshi: Yoshi must be in. No other characters, thought.

Wario: I suggest keeping Wario. Most of his major titles have appeared on handheld. He has appeared on the latest console game, so keeping him around would be perfect. Being on his original uniform would be nice, thought.

The Legend of Zelda: I suggest keeping Link, as he was part of the original twelve. Zelda/Sheik can stay as well. However, we should elminate Ganondorf and the Toon version of Link as both characters are basically clone.

Metriod: Only one representive again. Which is of course, Samus Aran. Others wouldn't make much sense.
Kirby: It's Masahiro Sakurai's first creation. Of course keep Kirby. I would highly recommend keeping King Dedede, but leaving out Meta Knight. Unlike Meta Knight, King Dedede was planned for both the original and Super Smash Bros. Melee. Therefore, I think he would make a lot of sense.

Star Fox: Star Fox is also well-known for his console representive. Fox should stay, as he was part of the original twelve. I wouldn't mind him as the only character of his franchise, but Falco is an acceptable 2nd character as well, if they can make him more original.

Pokemon: They dominate the handheld business. Pikachu and Jigglypuff needs to stay, as they were part of the original twelve. As for the 3rd character, I'm not sure. Pichu is not coming back, that's for sure. I don't really need Pokemon Trainer in as well. Basically, the 3rd character should be either Mewtwo or Lucario. I'm leaning Lucario.

F-zero: Only Captain Falcon this time, once again. I don't think we're going to need another character here.

Earthbound: Ness should stay, as he was part of the original twelve. Kick off Lucas, as he's basically a clone of Ness.

Retro: The only character I think will work is Pit. All other Retro Characters playable in past games are either console exclusives or from an obscure handheld. Pit has appeared in both consoles and handhelds.

Fire Emblem: Marth has made both console and handheld apperance, so he should stay. Ike will need to go. Do not add Roy.

New Franchises: Issac from Golden Sun should be in, as he is a major character of a popular handheld franchise. Starfy isn't a bad choice as well. Really, I agree with Maripu. There's probably not going to be that many new characters and I doubt fans would put up with losses of some of the characters that I think should return. I also doubt we'll reach twenty-five in the character roster, althought going by my character roster, close isn't that reaching.

Third-Party Characters: Not happening, simple as that. I don't know why people are speculating about this one third-party character that may or may not make it.

UberMario

Smash Master
This is one of my idea rosters for a SSB4 (assumes that the developers spend more time with character creation than a 1-player storyline that you probably will only play once ever):

Characters:
Mario Series
Returning:
-Mario
-Dr. Mario (Luigified clone)
-Luigi
-Peach (Daisy and Rosalina alt. costumes)
-Bowser
Newcomers:
-Paper Mario (not a clone, in three games already and a new one (or remake) coming soon)
-Toad (Luigified clone of Peach)
-Bowser Jr. (A "minor" antagonist for several games)
-Fawful (A main antagonist in two games already, the only other Mario character to do that is Bowser himself)
-Waluigi (For those that think he's only a sports character, he has played a role as one of the two main villans in DDR:Mario Mix)
-Geno (Well with Square-Enix doing games on Nintendo systems again and the recent appearance of it on the VC I'm sure they'll add him due to his moveset potential or the amount of complaints they'd get if they didn't. XD )

Yoshi Series
Returning:
-Yoshi
Newcomers:
-Kamek (Major antagonist in two games, and recent appearances in several games)
-Shy Guy (Mostly as a "filler" for those players that would want an unorthodox playstyle [not quite as unorthodox as Snake's, but still something different)

Donkey Kong Series
Returning:
-Donkey Kong
-Diddy Kong (Dixie as an alternate)
Newcomers:
-King K. Rool (too many reasons to explain why he should be in)
-Funky Kong (Not likely, but he'd have an interesting moveset if he was in)

Wario Series
Returning:
-Wario
Newcomer:
-Captain Syrup (Long time enemy of Wario's)

Legend of Zelda Series:
-Link
-Young Link (NOT A CLONE)
-Toon Link (NOT A CLONE)
-Zelda/Sheik
-Ganondorf (NOT A CLONE)
Newcomers:
-Tingle (being a recurring character and the star of two games, I wouldn't be suprised by his entry to the fray)
-Vaati (A recent major enemy in more than one game)

Kirby Series
Returning:
-Kirby
-Meta Knight (Galacta Knight only needs to be an alternate costume, his moveset isn't that spectacularly different)
-King DeDeDe
Newcomers:
-Rick the Hamster (While not in a major role since the 90s, he was/is the most popular of Kirby's helpers)
-Dark Matter (The Samurai form would be perfect for SSB, although DM has only appeared in two games)
-Adeline (She has the same issue as Rick does, but she could be Kirby's equivalent of a Pokemon Trainer)
-Waddle Dee (Not much to say, maybe he'd be a joke character with a horrid recovery and powerful attacks or something . . . . )

Star Fox Series
Returning:
-Fox
-Falco (Maybe a little Luigified)
-Wolf (NOT A CLONE, please don't say "His attacks don't behave the same", in my eyes, if all of the special attacks look the same as another character's, they're a clone)
Newcomers:
-Krystal (One of the most wanted for Brawl that didn't get in)
-Slippy (Probably on the "clone level" of Brawl Falco)

Pokemon Series
Returning:
-Pikachu
-Jigglypuff
-Mewtwo
-Lucario
-Pichu (With a totaly different moveset, either that or he gets Pika's moveset and Pikachu changes entirely)
-Pokemon Trainer (The most customizable character, you can chose three starters, one of each type, from any of the generations in the series, and can play as any of the pokemon trainers you start as in the main games* [Only one evo. stage is present for each pokemon line], Ash is also one of the choices [he appeared in Pokemon Puzzle League])
Newcomers:
-Zoroark (It's pretty obvious they'd give it at least a thought)
-Plusle & Minun (One of the undeveloped beta character teams that was discovered among file names [some people say it's actually the random button, but I'm not entirely sure of that])
-Garchomp (Prior to Zoroark this was one of the most requested pokemon not to get into Melee or Brawl)
-Raichu (To complete the Pikachu line)

Fire Emblem Series
Returning:
-Marth
-Roy
-Ike
Newcomers:
-Caeda (This series needs something other than a swordsman, and a pegasus-rider would be unique)
-Gordin (First archer you befriend in the first Fire Emblem)
-Merric (A mage, capable of magic attacks)

Metroid Series
Returning:
-Samus/ZSS
Newcomer:
-Ridley (There really isn't another MAJOR MAJOR character in the series that needs to get in besides him, and if Melee's intro was any indiciation he should have been in Brawl)

F-Zero Series
Returning:
-Captain Falcon (Blood Falcon alt, like in Melee and Brawl)
Newcomer:
-Samurai Goroh (The series doesn't really need more representation unless something radical happens in the next few years to the series)

Earthbound Series
Returning:
-Ness
-Lucas
Newcomers:
-Ninten (If the game series truly ended after game 3, might aswell have the one from the first game even if he does look really similar to Ness)
-Paula (One of Ness' friends)

"New Age" Characters [Basically any post-SNES character that doesn't have more than one character in this roster]
Returning:
-Olimar (Pikmin)
Newcomers:
-Demille (Tomato Adventure, JPN-Only)
-Hero (Heroine plays as a true clone, from the series "Magical Starsign" [Not JPN-Only])
-Isaac (Golden Sun)
-Ray Mk I (Custom Robo)
-Starfy (Slowly becoming a major series, has 5 games already)
-Hamtaro (Could be right up there with Sukapon for strangest potential character, all of the Hamtaro RPGs were produced by Shigeru Miyamoto himself and Nintendo has developed at least five of the games, as another "powerful" joke character with virtually no recovery [like Waddle Dee])

Retro Characters [Same as above but anything pre-1996)
Returning:
-Ice Climbers (Ice Climber)
-Mr. Game & Watch (Game & Watch games)
-Pit (Kid Icarus)
-R.O.B. (Various, Addon)
Newcomers:
-Sukapon (One of the most wanted retro characters left out of Brawl, from Joy Mech Fight)
-Little Mac (recent revival, should lead to increased chances, from the Punch Out series)
-Donbe (Shin Onigashima)
-Prince Sabure (For the Frog the Bell Tolls, JPN-Only)
-Balloon Fighter

3rd Party Characters:
SEGA:
-Sonic the Hedgehog (Who else?)
-Knuckles the Echidna (StH)
-Tails Prower (StH)
-Alex Kidd (Was Sega's mascot prior to Sonic's debut)
-Billy Hatcher (Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg, just for a "non-retro" character from Sega)
-Wonder Boy (Major character on the older Sega systems)

Konami:
-Solid Snake (Same as in Brawl, Metal Gear)
-Ken (Survival Kids character, the series has 7 games and has been around for over a decade)
-Simon Belmont (Castlevania)

Capcom:
-Megaman (Most likely the most demanded 3rd party character not to make the cut in the third game)
-Pulseman (Made by the creators of Pokemon and referenced in design by some pokemon/props)
-Ryu (Street Fighter)
-Ken ^
-Chun Li ^
-M. Boss ^
-Captain Commando (Old mascot for Capcom)
-Phoenix Wright (Have no idea how he'd play, but he's a popular newcomer to the list of major Capcom characters)

Square-Enix:
-Mage (any color, Final Fantasy)
-Chocobo (Final Fantasy)
-Chrono (Chrono Trigger)
-Frog (Chrono Trigger)

Namco:
-Pac-Man

Sure that's a lot of characters, but heck Melee was rushed and had over 20 (even if some were clones) and most people expected a 40-50 strong roster for Brawl.

(Besides, like I said I'm thinking the next SSB will not have an adventure mode or at most a Melee-esque one, with most of the focus only on classic mode and various vs. modes, so that'd mean more character/stage development time)

No one said:
POST DIVIDER
One of the tech demos at E3 2010 was the Super Smash Bros Melee Trophy Viewer, discuss?

Maripu

Smash Cadet
-Peach (Daisy and Rosalina alt. costumes)
-Waluigi (For those that think he's only a sports character, he has played a role as one of the two main villans in DDR:Mario Mix)
-Diddy Kong (Dixie as an alternate)

Sure that's a lot of characters, but heck Melee was rushed and had over 20 (even if some were clones) and most people expected a 40-50 strong roster for Brawl.

(Besides, like I said I'm thinking the next SSB will not have an adventure mode or at most a Melee-esque one, with most of the focus only on classic mode and various vs. modes, so that'd mean more character/stage development time)

One of the tech demos at E3 2010 was the Super Smash Bros Melee Trophy Viewer, discuss?
Having Daisy, Rosalina and Dixie alt costumes (meaning that they would not actually be in the game but their color schemes would be) is already available for Daisy/Dixie so I'm not sure why you would even bring it up. But it's not like Daisy, Dixie or especially Rosalina would have the same movesets as Pach and Diddy if they were included as actual characters.

And DDR: Mario Mix is a spin-off game too, so his role in that game really doesn't account for anything. Plus, he's incredibly unpopular among most mainstream Mario fans.

That's also far too many 3rd party characters. This game is for Nintendo all stars, and you included 22 3rd party characters (including Geno).

And even with all those characters you left out the ICs. Not sure if that was intentional.

I don't think you know the roles of many of the characters you mentioned well enough to judge their validity in Smash and I think your roster overall is just way too big.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
I heard the word "staple" a lot in the previous pages (most were in conjunction with maripu, my guess is that its cause he/she used it in one of his/her posts so others just thought to use it with and/or against him/her) would people stop using the original 12 or the mario big 8? its really the only thing going for youse to bring someone in or keep someone in.
Maripu, he said new guy because you have like 20 posts and ye weren't seen in this thread (mostly the latter, but the first thing that I saw was the smash rookie title). also, do you intend to burn everything? you're probably thinking of burning me right now!

Jigglypuff and ness can be cut from 3DS and still come back in SSB4, its not that big of a deal... okay, not a big deal to people like me.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
How can you include Starfy and Lip in a game for "Nintendo all stars". Just because they're the main characters in their games doesn't make them all stars.

And you're severely (and I mean severely) underestimating Jiggs' and Ness' popularity and overestimating Lucas' and Mewtwo's popularity. To say Ness is less popular than Lucas wouldn't be incorrect, but to say Jigglypuff is less popular than Mewtwo would almost certainly be incorrect. And what makes Mewtwo more of an all star than Jigglypuff. Unlike Mewtwo, Jigglypuff has appeared in nearly every Pokemon game to date.

And new guy lol... So when do I lose the title of "new guy", since I apparently haven't lost it in the 2.5 years I've been here?
You're a new guy because you're new here to this thread. Mostly all the people here are kinda like regulars. Given your join date versus your post amount, you seem to have been a lurker, and that's fine (I myself am a very old lurker. Pre-Melee even. I just joined up during the hype for Brawl) but you're still new to this thread, so you're still a new guy. :psycho:

Anywaaaays, I will concede Lip. She hasn't had a game in a long time, and only has had cameos in recent years, but she'd be a new retro pick. Technically though she could easily enough be replaced by whoever. Starfy though has been picking up steam recently, what with him recently getting an international release, and seeing as he's an up and coming portable game character, him getting into a portable Smash seems like a good fit.

When taking Smash bros into consideration, Mewtwo still has a large amount of vocal supporets, though I won't disregard that Jigglypuff has her fair share of people who main her. When taking the actual Pokemon series though, Mewtwo's importance and popularity blow Jigglypuff's out of the water. Mewtwo was the first Pokemon to get a movie based around it, was pretty much the final boss in the original games, as well as being the final boss in Stadium and Pinball. While his roles have clearly faded over the years, they were better than Jigg's who was just a random Pokemon among hundreds. As far as the anime goes, where Jigglypuff made her name, she hasn't shown up since the Advance series. (Though that's not to say Mewtwo hasn't lost some of his focus either. All he does now in regards to the anime is show up in openings) Still if you take the actual sereis into consideration, there's really no debate who is more of an "all-star" between them. As far as apperances go, Mewtwo is from the first gen too, so I'd think they would be pretty much tied, other than the fact that Mewtwo probably had a major role in the games he showed up in while Jiggs didn't. Still I suppose Jiggs may have shown up in more of the spin off games like Hey You Pikachu and what not. As you said above in regards to Waluigi, those type of roles don't really amount to anything.

Keep in mind though that I don't think Jiggs should be replaced by Mewtwo in a main console Smash game.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Whoaaa! Talk about major posting :o

Anyways so, the whole mewtwo versus jigglypuff arguement is tricky. I think If SSB3DS actually was a game jigglypuff would be replaced, probably not by, mewtwo but in general she would be replaced. Which is okay, because i sort of consider the whole SSB handhelds a sort of spin-off type game. The game can have its own set of main characters.

But some of you are talking about rosters and it seems they all are for SSB4, like for the "Wii2" console. In that case, jigglypuff will probably never be replaced. However i could see mewtwo coming back considering out of every character taken out of ssb he is the most wanted. Roy comes in second.

Waluigi, is the epic fail of mario. Juss sayin...

Personally, i dont think any new mario characters should be brought in to a handheld smash bros game.

Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser both have had plenty of games on handheld to support the mario franchise alone. However, if i had to chose a fifth mario representative for handheld, it would be toad. On the handheld games Toad has been in all of them (i think) And both Waluigi, daisy and Baby Bowser Havent been in more than one, if that.

Not saying i love toad, because i dont really, just i know when toaadmit defeat. And toad wins both bowser jr. and daisy when it comes to handhelds X)

Pieman0920

Smash Master
@Shortie: Exactly. I guess its true that Mewtwo doesn't quite need to be what would pottentially replace Jiggs in a portable Smash, but I feel that she doesn't really need to be in that type of game. A true Smash 4 for the consoles though should certainly have Jigglypuff showing up. Same with Ness.

@BirthNote: While not completely Smash original, ROB sort of is like that. In any case, we don't quite need a character that's original from Smash, since that's not really the point.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
@Shortie: Exactly. I guess its true that Mewtwo doesn't quite need to be what would pottentially replace Jiggs in a portable Smash, but I feel that she doesn't really need to be in that type of game. A true Smash 4 for the consoles though should certainly have Jigglypuff showing up. Same with Ness.
Yeah, I would expect almost everyone to return in the console version. Maybe not Toon link, it seems like he isnt coming back for a while. If young link was to come back, i would hope it would be Majora's Mask Link.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
did you forget about master hand? while not being traditionally playable, he is already representing smash... by being the villain, lol.

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
After reading a large chunk of this thread, I decided to join Smashboards. It's only the appropriate thing to do, since I've probably spent half the days out of my life playing Smash for at least an hour since the original came out in 1999. :chuckle:

When - not if - a new game comes out, it will probably be in 2012 or later (unless there's a 3DS port or spin-off), I foresee 51 or 55 characters - it's not a ludicrous total, but it allows enough space for all of the major Nintendo All-Stars who aren't currently in to be playable.

The major (and obvious) question is 'who justifies as an all-star"?

And, alas, I created a list, like I've been doing since Melee came out.
This list contains 50 characters and my reasoning for their inclusion or other notes for veterans as far as moveset changes, etc. goes. I'm working on lists Stage, Items (w/ Assist Trophys, Pokeballs), and a new feature (Character Items).

On that note, what do you think of character items?

Similar to Smash Balls, only on a weaker, longer lasting scale.

For example, Link could have an ocarina (or grass blade) and call for Epona, which he could ride in a similar (and easier-to-control) style to Wario's motorcycle. Pikachu could have a surfboard that allows it to summon and ride on a wave when used. Donkey Kong could turn into Rambi.

Anyways, on to the list. (I support Retro, bit-style costumes that do not remotely change anything else, where they apply)

MARIO SERIES
1. Mario - (Dr. Mario costume) For such an important character, Mario has always been TOO average - I say 'too' because he IS the 'learner' character, but he should also be playable competitively. Make FLUDD more useful, change the cape to a CAPE and not a towel slap to improve his recovery. Just give him a slight all-around buff.
2. Luigi - he's alright the way he is, he's supposed to be a spastic character. Poltergust 3000 item.
3. Peach - she's weak when it comes to KO ability, but like Luigi, i like her the way she is.
4. Bowser - I've always had problems with Bowser in Brawl compared to Melee (in most cases, it's the reverse). He can be potent, but make him a little less victimizable.

5. Toad - Toad is quite honestly the largest Nintendo character (or at least Mario character) not already playable. He can be a speedy lightweight with excellent throw and poor jump. His up-B can be a parachute similar to G&W, his side-B a Racing Kart, down-B a vegetable, that sometimes is a mushroom power-up.

6. Paper Mario - I know a lot of people oppose him, but he's an infinitely better choice than the Doc. Attribute-wise, Mario-G&W lovechild. B hammer, up-B paper airplane.

ZELDA SERIES
7. Link - As I said, Link can summon Epona for a very defensive approach. Make him a LITTLE quicker and give him a better recovery. Like Bowser, less victimizable. Put him in the top 1/3 tier-wise. Graphically update him to Skyward Sword, with OoT and TP costumes)
8. Zelda/Sheik - Make her magic more potent, give her recovery a little angle. Buff Sheik just a TAD.
9. Ganondorf - completely change this moveset. No excuse. He can keep his dreadful speed and recovery if you just give him some quicker, ranged swordplay and magic. Change every B-move except maybe up, the A-moves are decentish. Give him better grab range.
10. Toon Link - He was actually better than Link last time, but I honestly don't mind if his moveset stays similar, but make the up-B the up-A and make up-B a Deku Leaf (little damage, amazing recovery). Give him a Windwaker item.

11. Vaati - I know less about this character than Midna & Wolf Link, the other favorite. (I've only played most of the console Zelda titles). But I'd rather have another villian with a VERY unique playstyle than another incarnation of Link with a moderately unique playstyle. Give him balanced stats, a nice final smash, and a very Lucas-esque approach.

YOSHI SERIES
12. Yoshi - I really like Yoshi's unique stats (heavyish aerial fighter), but he's so hard to become a beast with. Fix this.

WARIO SERIES
13. Wario - Wario is fine as is. The Wario Land games need some representation, but character-wise, Wario shouldn't change.

DONKEY KONG SERIES
14. Donkey Kong - Big DK has a lot going for him. Donkey Kong could use his coconut cannon, a much more powerful version of Diddy's peanut popgun, without charging, as a new side-B, to give him more range.
15. Diddy Kong - I love Little DK, but ever-so-slightly nerf him. If you must...

16. King K. Rool - a new heavyweight villian. Make him a Bowser with quicker attack speed (punches and bites), fewer good KO moves (but strong), and a projectile or two (orange grenades, crown, or TNT barrel roll are all possibilities). He deserves to be in more than any other villain except Ridley, and we all know it!

METROID SERIES
17. Samus/Zero Suit Samus - Save this legendary heroine! ZSS is an amazing fighter, but the oft-gender confused suited version of the bounty hunter needs an upgrade. Buff her missiles, beam, and bombs a bit. Make her as good as Zero Suit, in other ways.

18. Ridley - we're not discussing size here. :dizzy: it's really not that big of a deal. He has amazing moveset potential. Make his down-a his tail sweep, make him heavy but frail, with great recovery and quick but predictable attacks.

POKEMON SERIES
19. Pikachu - As is.
20. Pokemon Trainer (Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard) - I don't mind the stamina issue, and strangely my favorite is Ivysaur... but whatever. I don't really see a huge need to change, except maybe Squirtle, who is just too easy to KO, IMO. Give the Pokemon Type Theory a chance (make Squirtle's water-attacks a little stronger against Charizard, Charizard's fire attacks a little stronger against Ivy, etc., and in addition make those elements slightly weaker when attacking the other... for example Mario's fireball or Bowser's flames would also be a little weaker against Squirtle, but since they are not FIRE-types, they aren't weaker to Squirtle's attacks)
21. Lucario - The aura trait can stay. He's a little overpowered, if you ask me.
22. Jigglypuff - Give Jiggly a break, and increase priority. Not that Jiggly is all bad. It's an aerial beast. And give it a microphone exclusive item.

23. Mewtwo - Returns. Maybe alter a move from Melee, but make it the antithesis to Lucario overall. Keep the floatyness yet power throws, but make him more nimble and agile. Give him better dash, keep the awesome dodges.

KIRBY SERIES
24. Kirby - Nothing too bad here. Just make all the new characters outfits, other than that, as was.
25. Meta Knight - *sigh* how do you change MK without changing who he is? Just decrease that almighty priority. Keep the superior attack speed and recovery,but for the love of God, don't him make him THAT cheap. I get beat him with my mains (Diddy, Ike, Snake), but he does give me the most trouble out of all the characters I could battle.
26. King Dedede - Which brings me to the Penguin King. Nerf those grabs. He's not as annoying as his fellow franchise-mate. But do something with him.

STAR FOX SERIES
27. Fox - Still pretty good, but not too good. Maybe prioritize his attacks a tad. Overall buff him.
28. Falco - Unique final smash, please? Balance him with Fox. Mild nerfing. I love the reflector. Keep it's power.
29. Wolf - Unique final smash, if you will. Otherwise, good as is.

Sorry, no Krystal. She's not that important, think about it. I'm all for new female characters, but not just for the sake of them. I know she'd be very unique, but when you're on a limited number, she's just not my priority.

MOTHER SERIES
30. Ness - I'm not a huge Ness fan, but make him a little more usable. Make him Lucas-esque in someways. I'm removing Lucas (my only removal) simply to balance the game in number of characters comparatively. (I'm not adding an F-Zero character, so I found it the most fair thing to do).

F-ZERO SERIES
31. Capt. Falcon - Give him combos and better aerial game, keep the speed, but fix the traction.

FIRE EMBLEM SERIES
32. Marth - Satisfying as is.
33. Ike - No matter what you say about Ike, I love him as is, and feel like he's a welcome challenge as far as learner-curve goes.

34. Lyn - I chose Lyn over Michaiah because she represents the first FE game in America, and would provide the quickest swordplay in the game, combined with epic combo sweeps. She could also have a bow. Lightweight and nimble.

GAME & WATCH SERIES
35. Mr. Game & Watch - Yes.

GYROMITE SERIES
36. R.O.B. - Also yes.

ICE CLIMBER SERIES
37. Ice Climbers - Not so yes, but epic. Degrade them a tad, they're too combo-abled.

KID ICARUS SERIES
38. Pit - Give him better KO ability.

PIKMIN SERIES
39. Olimar - What's to argue? Great as is.

GOLDEN SUN SERIES
40. Isaac - A nice balance of swords and psyenergy that is very elemental based. Fire, water, earth, and wind can be selected by down-B as the Djinn, and these dictate his A-sword attacks. His B can be his hand used by the Assist Trophy.

STAFY SERIES
41. Stafy - Small and lightweight, with great speed and jump, and decent attack. He plays a lot like Sonic, with stronger, more diverse physical dash attacks minus the homing abilities.

PUNCH-OUT!! SERIES
42. Little Mac - Had to bring back a retro character. Pretty basic and straightforward fighting style (punches :psycho:)with quite good offense and defense but poor aerial and recovery.

ANIMAL CROSSING SERIES
43. Tom Nook - Great potential moveset. Net could be used for grabs. Shovel, fishing pole, slingshot, axe. Not bad. Tom Nook can be a mid-weight character with fairly strong moves and Ivysaur-like recovery.

SIN AND PUNISHMENT SERIES
44. Saki (or protagonist of Star Successor)

CHRONO SERIES
45. Crono

SONIC SERIES
46. Sonic

METAL GEAR SOLID SERIES
47. Snake

CASLEVANIA SERIES
48. Simon Belmont

WII SPORTS SERIES
49. Mii

SMASH BROS. SERIES
50. Master Hand

add one to five.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Ive been thinking, since smash 3DS is coming out, and some of us think that their should be some characters that are exlusive to SSB3DS, what are we going to do about Falco and Krystal?

Like in my previous list, i think that we should leave falco for the console versions and add krystal in. I mean Since in star fox Command Krystal kind of had a more interesting and important role than falco. Krystal > Falco? Anyone agree? I know we have Star Fox 64 coming out, but that doesnt mean Krystal isnt worthy of the spot.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Ive been thinking, since smash 3DS is coming out, and some of us think that their should be some characters that are exlusive to SSB3DS, what are we going to do about Falco and Krystal?

Like in my previous list, i think that we should leave falco for the console versions and add krystal in. I mean Since in star fox Command Krystal kind of had a more interesting and important role than falco. Krystal > Falco? Anyone agree? I know we have Star Fox 64 coming out, but that doesnt mean Krystal isnt worthy of the spot.
I'd rather have Falco over Krystal, to be honest. Especially with his roles in Star Fox Command and Star Fox 64 (referring to that because of the remake on the 3DS).

There's no reason to remove him from the main lineup and Krystal is definitely not a replacement for him.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'd rather have Falco over Krystal, to be honest. Especially with his roles in Star Fox Command and Star Fox 64 (referring to that because of the remake on the 3DS).

There's no reason to remove him from the main lineup and Krystal is definitely not a replacement for him.
It wouldnt be removing him from the main lineup, it would be removing him for the handheld spin-off game, and we would be replacing him with a character with equal game play time as him, if not more if you count star fox Adventure. And a more in-depth story. I mean i could give you at least a few sentences on krystals background, latest activity, and heck even love interests. We know very little about falco. Also, its just the spin-off, and i think bringing some new characters into the handheld series would give it a newer feel instead of a handheld remake feel. Besides, its not like falco couldnt be in it if the handheld SSB game became a whole handheld series.

Am I the only one thinkin Krystal over Falco, for this particular spin-off?

D

Deleted member

Pieman said:
@SSSF: Given recent participation with Sega, I don't think that's an issue...like at all. And we are getting Snake Eater for the DS, so Snake isn't much of an issue either. I'm not saying we would get our third party characters back for a portable game, but the past projects of the other companies doesn't really matter in this regard.
I'm not saying they are impossible, just don't think it's going to happen (Improbable is a better word). Both characters were in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, so that rest assure that it isn't impossible for them to be in the handheld installment (I'll give you that). However, I think the things going against it's inclusion (Not including popularity) outweigh the things that is supporting the inclusion of either characters.

Sonic the Hedgehog: Sega are more well-known for there console outings. Sonic's games haven't been the best received, so a handheld inclusion would definently be questionable for Nintendo.

Solid Snake: Possible, but unlikely as well. Sure it's getting an installment for the 3DS, but the majority of previous installments have been on other systems platforms. We have not seen a Metal Gear game on a Nintendo platform since 2001 and that was a remake. I'm not sure if another remake will help Konami secure a spot for a handheld game.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
If they do port the game to handheld, perhaps Castlevania would have a better chance of getting a rep. I'd still rather have one on SSB4. I just don't think a smash game would play well on a handheld.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
If they do port the game to handheld, perhaps Castlevania would have a better chance of getting a rep. I'd still rather have one on SSB4. I just don't think a smash game would play well on a handheld.
Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest, as well as Megaman are probably just as probable as Castlevania, not to mention all three have massive followings in japan. Chrono and Dragon quest have decent followings in the us. But No character can really touch Megaman's status, except Mario and Sonic themselves. I dont think Sonic has as many fans as megaman.

Mario probably has triple, I mean, mario is a global phenomenon. (sp?)

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Sonic the Hedgehog: Sega are more well-known for there console outings. Sonic's games haven't been the best received, so a handheld inclusion would definently be questionable for Nintendo.
No. Sonic is still the most recognizable Sega character. He's the one most associated with Nintendo. If having poorly recieved games were to be an issue, then he wouldn't have been in Brawl.

Solid Snake: Possible, but unlikely as well. Sure it's getting an installment for the 3DS, but the majority of previous installments have been on other systems platforms. We have not seen a Metal Gear game on a Nintendo platform since 2001 and that was a remake. I'm not sure if another remake will help Konami secure a spot for a handheld game.
Twin Snakes came out in 2004. In any case, that didn't stop Snake from getting into Brawl, so that's not an actual problem either.

Tacel

Smash Lord
A remake of the first Smash Bros. for the 3DS would be awesome.
Ocarina of Time remake, Star Fox 64 remake...
Well, it might happen. :ohwell:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Why would you want a remake of a game that's already available for the N64 and for VC?
Think of it as Super Smash Bros. Turbo HD Remix, and that's assuming they rebalance the game.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Not sure where this "They have to be on a handheld for the handheld thing came from." I don't think it makes a difference.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
They don't have to. We just now know that the possibility exists thanks to the existence of the analog stick equivalent (forgot the name). I'm now thinking that a remake of SSB or SSBM might not be a bad idea.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
This is my idea for K.Rool if he was in SSB4. Instead of focusing on his moveset, I'll talk about his characteristics:

He'll start off as a heavy and slow character, but the more damage he takes , he will become faster, like he did in DKC. Also his jumping height will become higher, but he'll still be a heavyweight fighter. Obviously its similar to Lucario, but it could work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom