• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo Exdeath

Smash Ace
So then let's replace Ness with Paula.

Tom Nook has a definite personality and is a recognizable face of Animal Crossing, generic people can stay in the background.
First of all, that has to be the world's worst analogy. Ness is actually the main hero of Earthbound, not some random shopkeeper ( Nook). Nook is not the main hero of animal crossing. The animal crosser is the central focus of the game, not Nook. Ask anyone who they think is the face of Animal Crossing and they'll probably say the Crosser (maybe Resetti).

Also, if you call the Crosser a generic character, then what is your stance on Toad? Pokemon characters?

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
First of all, that has to be the world's worst analogy. Ness is actually the main hero of Earthbound, not some random shopkeeper ( Nook). Nook is not the main hero of animal crossing. The animal crosser is the central focus of the game, not Nook. Ask anyone who they think is the face of Animal Crossing and they'll probably say the Crosser (maybe Resetti).

Also, if you call the Crosser a generic character, then what is your stance on Toad? Pokemon characters?
Saying that Ness took all his offensive moves from Paula, he was more of a status character. Not importance on anything.

Generic was the wrong word. Your character in Animal Crossing is supposed to represent the player, like they're in the Animal Crossing world. They're made as blank slates.

Mowrt620

Smash Journeyman
In a box filled with peas 300 feet below ground
Animal Crosser is the main character, and that's how they start the animal crossing reps, they can add more later (hey, they didnt start with side characters in the first SSB, they started with the heroes of each game, and when new game reps appear, the main character always comes first, eh?)

So lets just start the AC reps with the main character, right? Yes....

I agree with HeMightBeGiant (btw, is that a referance to the old movie?) Thought i don't want an animal crossing character in the game, I'd rather have Nook than Animal Crosser.

@Neo
I don't like Toad being playable (though I like him over any other Mario choices) and pokemon have established personalities despite there being multiple. Animal Crosser's personality is what you decide it is. Slowpokes are all lazy and Toads are always Peach's stewards (sp).

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
Saying that Ness took all his offensive moves from Paula, he was more of a status character. Not importance on anything.

Generic was the wrong word. Your character in Animal Crossing is supposed to represent the player, like they're in the Animal Crossing world. They're made as blank slates.
The Animal Crosser is a player, but he does not have the potential to be a Smash Bros. Fighter as if he is suited as an audience.

Check out the links in my signature if you want to discuss about adding features of the next Smash Bros game or how to improve the game mechanics.

Neo Exdeath

Smash Ace
@Neo
I don't like Toad being playable (though I like him over any other Mario choices) and pokemon have established personalities despite there being multiple. Animal Crosser's personality is what you decide it is. Slowpokes are all lazy and Toads are always Peach's stewards (sp).
Lol, I was talking to Hemightbegiant. I honestly don't like Toad that much, either.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
For you guys wanting The Villager/Animal Crosser, what do you want the character to look like? One thing I see holding it back is that it has no set face or gender, unlike Nook.

Mowrt620

Smash Journeyman
The animal crosser could be the generic, red shirted, brown haired guy from when you first get into town, and the one on the cover. And I really get annoyed when people dislike him being in, and say he shouldn't. Animal Crossing is one of the best selling franchises for nintendo, way more so than fire emblem or donkey kong or mother...so he is very important for nintendo and DOES deserve a spot at that....

n88

Smash Lord
@Mowrt

A) To my knowledge, Animal Crossing does not outsell DK
B) It wouldn't matter if it did

Sales don't really justify anything. They're kind of a loose indicator for popularity, but that's it. No characters should be put in because their series outsell Mother. The concern w/Animal Crosser is that AC is not a fighter. When you fight in front of the Animal Crossers on Smashville, they look terrrified half the time. If that's how developers perceive the AC (Terrified bystander), then I can't say he has much of a chance. Fighting can be seen as OoC for AC, and rightfully so.

That being said, I'm fine w/Animal Crossing having content in Smash, such as items, stages, ATs, etc. But the Animal Crosser as a fighter? It seems stupid to me. Maybe Tom Nook or someone else from the series, but not the AC himself.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Let me sum everything up in neat numbered points:

1. ChocoSlime is plausible and rather easy to implement. Both characters have more than enough moves, both mundane and magical. And Slime can ride Chocobo just fine because, guess what, Chocobo is a mount. This isn't like "Simon Belmont rides Solid Snake to do a Mecha-Shiva." It's no more challenging than making a moveset for a Mario & Yoshi combo (and if you think THAT'S somehow difficult, you're not trying very hard).

2. Both characters are popular. You'd think that'd be obvious when A) they're the joint mascots of the company, B) they both have their own spinoff games, and C) well, just look around, people really like them. So yes, they'd be accepted (even if they'd get some initial heat for not being [favorite character here], but that goes for everyone else too).

3. I had the ChocoSlime idea for a while but I only mentioned it once in a PM to Wizzerd a while ago. He really liked it and I'm pretty sure he told a few people about it. I might've mentioned it recently too, either way people seem to like it a lot. Also side note: it's kinda funny how TK sees them working as a IC-style sync pair, I always figured them as a single inseperable unit. Think that shows how flexible this idea is (which might be part of the reason people are liking it).

4. It's myopic to think any company that hasn't commented on a game that doesn't exist yet won't ever do so when it suddenly DOES exist. I guarantee you more 3rd parties will pop out of the woodwork when the game is announced (even if it's a behind-the-scenes thing that we wouldn't hear about for obvious reasons).

5. Whether or not SE has a clear cut choice like Capcom or Sega does, that doesn't mean they won't pick something. Anything's better than nothing as far as they're concerned, even if it's the "wrong" choice for whatever reason. I know I was confused as hell when Konami's definitive PlayStation series was chosen over the one that actually has a very extensive history with Nintendo. Turns out 3rd parties can have just as few reasons to do stuff as Sakurai.

6. To be honest, I don't really care about whether the ChocoSlime idea is used or not, but I will attack the notions that it flat-out sucks or that SE shouldn't be involved in Smash (and I don't even like SE). It's pretty clear people want to see SOMETHING from them, and if everyone ends up agreeing that this is the best way to do it, who am I to complain?

Gonna try and keep this simple instead of getting distracted by some of the tangents.

The entire point is that there's no requirement for new 3rd parties, just like anything else in the game. I'm not saying they're not great to have, especially since more characters in general are always welcome (even if there aren't any Sonic-level popular candidates aside from Mega Man).

Something you keep repeating now and then is that "there just HAS to be another!" I know you're only expressing your own wishes, but this isn't a Disney movie. Wishes don't always come true, even when it makes more sense that certain ones do. Be prepared for just Mega Man. In fact, be prepared for no Mega Man. Or no Snake and Sonic or anyone else.

I hate having to tell people not to fully expect everything on their Christmas list while telling someone else not to fully expect a lump of poo in the same post.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Honestly, this character idea makes no sence. I don't think people will be happy to see this character, but more confused. It's also odd as you're taking characters from different series. Is this about Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest. Also, how does it fight? What moves could it use? Why is a Slime riding a Chocobo in the first place? I don't think fans will like it. Of course, my post was never directed at Chocobo/Slime. It was at adding third party characters.
It's not only about that: I'm just stating we're not in the bottom of the barrel JUST Yet with third-party companies into being soulless, but to answer questions:

1)Already explained how it fights
2)A lot, for starters, borrowing moves from FF/DQ In general
3)To represent both of Square's main franchises.

We can go on for hours, but going on:

A game like Smash doesn't need hype. A few people will buy it, they will show it to others, they'll like it, and they'll buy it. No one needs to be hyped. It just needs to get out there. Games like Wii Fit have 0 hype and sold amazingly.
Yet brawl had a ton of hype and received very well; It never kills sales.
You don't understand it.

Basically, marginal utility is additional satisfaction one gets from consuming another good. Total utility goes up as long as marginal utility is positive; however, marginal utility is negative each time. Basically, let's say I'm eating ice cream. The fist one gives me 10 utility. Well, the second one may only give me 8. The total utility is 18 but the marginal utility is 8 (the change in utility). Of course, when I get sick is when utility will drop.

Adding more third party characters will yield less excitement every time. Megaman will yield less excitement then Sonic. Third party character will only yeild less excitement, so there is no point to adding them for excitement. Adding Megaman makes sense because people want him, but others will not yeild the appropriate results. Also, there are issues with rights as well.
Sure It may yield less success, but that doesn't mean the hype card can't work again. What you're saying is: Well, It won't yield as much success or anything, so we might as well stop trying.

Uggg, adding two Pokemon Trainers is the worst idea I've heard and it saddens me when ever it comes up. it just sucks.
TP = Third-Parties. I forgot to note that...PT Is a different definition, unless I typo'd that.

The problem is a LOT of fans get the idea that they are not Nintendo characters. heck, Snake has nothing to go with Nintendo (which is why there were still quite a few people who didn't like the idea). It's obvious that fans will see it as becoming too much. Megaman is one people want because he is synonymous with Nintendo (like Sonic was). Others have a less relationship with Nintendo.
Well; Snake may not, but that doesn't apply to others as noted. There's still plausible ones out there that aren't as ridiculous as snake.

Adding anyone outside of Megaman will not work well.
I lol'd.

Snake doesn't "Work well" As you pointed out; There's no specific restrictions on who does outside of "Appearing on a nintendo console" Furthermore, there are still companies that have created at least quite a number of joint titles with Nintendo. Maybe not viewed as far as Sonic or MM, But there still are.

Gonna try and keep this simple instead of getting distracted by some of the tangents.

The entire point is that there's no requirement for new 3rd parties, just like anything else in the game. I'm not saying they're not great to have, especially since more characters in general are always welcome (even if there aren't any Sonic-level popular candidates aside from Mega Man).

Something you keep repeating now and then is that "there just HAS to be another!" I know you're only expressing your own wishes, but this isn't a Disney movie. Wishes don't always come true, even when it makes more sense that certain ones do. Be prepared for just Mega Man. In fact, be prepared for no Mega Man. Or no Snake and Sonic or anyone else.

I hate having to tell people not to fully expect everything on their Christmas list while telling someone else not to fully expect a lump of poo in the same post.
In other words: There's no specific need for 2 third-parties to happen.

I'm just stating now that It can happen, to say MM Is the only candidate is ridiculous especially at this point in speculation. Suda 51, Hudson, Namco, and Square-Enix (Along with others I may have missed) are for sure possibilities at this point in time, and they're still plausible suggestions each with there own reasons. (I'm not as sure about Hudson/Namco however)

Hero Dude

Smash Journeyman
The animal crosser could be the generic, red shirted, brown haired guy from when you first get into town, and the one on the cover. And I really get annoyed when people dislike him being in, and say he shouldn't. Animal Crossing is one of the best selling franchises for nintendo, way more so than fire emblem or donkey kong or mother...so he is very important for nintendo and DOES deserve a spot at that....
I would prefer Nook WAAAAAY over Villager.

Lol.......AC outsell DK? That will almost surely never happen.

Hmm.......Nook is cooler than Crsooser to.
I don't think anyone generic will get a spot.
IMO To me, its as significant as playing as a Goomba.

Neo Exdeath

Smash Ace
I would prefer Nook WAAAAAY over Villager.

Lol.......AC outsell DK? That will almost surely never happen.

Hmm.......Nook is cooler than Crsooser to.
I don't think anyone generic will get a spot.
IMO To me, its as significant as playing as a Goomba.

Your opinion =/= millions of Animal Crossing's fans. Plus, no franchise has ever not had their main hero in Smash. Nook is not the main hero of Animal Crossing.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Your opinion =/= millions of Animal Crossing's fans. Plus, no franchise has ever not had their main hero in Smash. Nook is not the main hero of Animal Crossing.
There's a hero in Animal Crossing?

Hero Dude

Smash Journeyman
No franchise has ever had thier main character a faceless, genderless, custom, villager before either
Lol ^^^

Look at this. I have posted it before, but none of you looked.
It's the characters Sakurai "Considered" for Brawl. I could imagine they where the top scorers on his poll.

Koopa Troopa (Super Mario Bros. - 1985)
Hammer Bros. (Super Mario Bros. - 1985)
Toad (Super Mario Bros. 2 - 1988)
Petey Piranha (Super Mario Sunshine - 2002)
Vivian (Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - 2005)
"Cel-Shaded" Link (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - 2002)
Tetra (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - 2002)
Link's Uncle (The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - 1991)
Ganon/Ganondorf (The Legend of Zelda/The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - 1986/1998)
Bow Wow the Chain Chomp (The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX - 1998)
Ridley (Metroid - 1986)
Sylux (Metroid Prime: Hunters - 2006)
Noxus (Metroid Prime: Hunters - 2006)
Weavel (Metroid Prime: Hunters - 2006)
Peppy Hare (Star Fox - 1993)
Slippy Toad (Star Fox - 1993)
Krystal (Star Fox Adventures - 2002)
Wolf O'Donnell (Star Fox 64 - 1997)
Diddy Kong (solo) (Donkey Kong Country - 1994)
Diddy Kong & Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country/Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest - 1994/1995)
King K. Rool (Donkey Kong Country - 1994)
Ninten (Mother - 1989)
Paula (Mother 2 [EarthBound in the U.S.] - 1994 [1995])
Jeff (Mother 2 [EarthBound in the U.S.] - 1994 [1995])
Poo (Mother 2 [EarthBound in the U.S.] - 1994 [1995])
Claus (Mother 3 - 2006)
Lucas (Mother 3 - 2006)
Princess Kumatora (Mother 3 - 2006)
King Dedede (Kirby's Dreamland - 1992)
Lololo & Lalala (Kirby's Dreamland - 1992)
Marx (Kirby Super Star - 1996)
Jeigan (Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryuu to Hikari no Tsurugi - 1990)
Oguma (Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryuu to Hikari no Tsurugi - 1990)
Nabarl (Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryuu to Hikari no Tsurugi - 1990)
Sheeda (Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryuu to Hikari no Tsurugi - 1990)
Maji (Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryuu to Hikari no Tsurugi - 1990)
Saji (Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryuu to Hikari no Tsurugi - 1990)
Sigurd (Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu - 1996)
Ike (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - 2005)
Soren (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - 2005)
Mia (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - 2005)
The Black Knight (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - 2005)
Gardevoir (Pokémon Ruby & Pokémon Sapphire - 2003)
Steven Stone (Pokémon Ruby & Pokémon Sapphire - 2003)
Black Shadow (F-Zero X - 1998)
Palutena (Kid Icarus - 1986)
Medusa (Kid Icarus - 1986)
Eggplant Wizard (Kid Icarus - 1986)
Isaac (Golden Sun - 2001)
Felix (Golden Sun - 2001)
Little Mac (Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream - 1990)
Dragon Chan (Super Punch-Out!! - 1994)
Banker (Mario Paint - 1992)
Ray 01 (Custom Robo - 2004)
Captain Olimar (Pikmin - 2001)
Human Main Character (Animal Forest - 2001)
Tom Nook (Animal Forest - 2001)
Chibi-Robo (Chibi-Robo! - 2005)
Harry the Robot (Teleroboxer - 1995)
Doctor Wright (SimCity - 1991)**
Muddy (Mole Mania - 1996)
The Blue Virus (Dr. Mario - 1990)
Urban Fighters (Urban Champion - 1984)
Lip (Panel de Pon - 1995)
Furil (Nintendo Puzzle Collection: Panel de Pon - 2003)
Takamaru (Nazo no Murasamejou - 1986)
Demiru (Tomato Adventure - 2002)
Tomato Robot (Tomato Adventure - 2002)
Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight - 1993)
Donbe (Shin Oni ga Shima - 1987)
Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Tantei Club Part II: Ushiro ni Tatsu Shoujo - 1989)*
Jill (Screw Breaker [Drill Dozer in the U.S.] - 2005 [2006])
Ippongi Ryuta of Cheer Squad (Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan - 2005)
Hero/Heroine (Magical Vacation - 2001)
Professor Kawashima (Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day - 2006)
Master Hand (Super Smash Bros. - 1999)
Crazy Hand (Super Smash Bros. Melee - 2001)
#166 Golden Sun characters and/or Advance Wars infantrymen
#218 Famicom Tantei Club characters

Third Party Suggestions

Mega Man (Capcom) (Mega Man - 1987)
G-Red (Capcom) (Gotcha Force - 2003)
Simon Belmont (Konami) (Castlevania - 1986)
Power Pro-Kun (Konami) (Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu '94 - 1994)
Lupus (Rare) (Jet Force Gemini - 1999)
Geno (Square Enix, Inc.) (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - 1996)
Mallow (Square Enix, Inc.) (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - 1996)
Sora (Disney/Square Enix, Inc.) (Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories - 2004)
Magnus Gallant (Quest/Nintendo) (Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber - 2000)
Princess Katia (From Software) (Lost Kingdoms - 2002)
Kalas (tri-Crescendo/Monolith Soft) (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean - 2003)
Thomas the Kung-Fu Master (Irem) (Spartan X [Kung-Fu in the U.S.] - 1985)

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I'm not sure you could say he considered all of those. In one interview after Brawl's cast must have been decided on, he was questioned on how likely Krystal was, and then asked the questioner who that was, since he didn't know.

Anyways, as far as a AC character goes, Tom Nook makes the most sense. The main problem with the AC-Villeger is that he's supposed to be a custom character that the player designs to a degree (especially post WW) which is something that SSB4 would need to deal with if they really want to do the ACer justice. Of course why should they even bother with this when they have the Mii, or the next gen equivilent? (You know there will be something like this next gen due to their popularity) Since the Mii is basically ingrained into the system, the custom character aspect is automatically taken care of, instead of a seperate feature within the game. In addition, Miis are much more recognizable at this point than ACers, and the Wii_____ series which they represent to a degree has has very very high sales. Thus it makes no real sense to add the ACer.

Thus that leaves the AC franchise with Tom Nook, who is heads and tails above any other AC character. Heck, as far as any type of story goes, he is certainly a main character. Of course there is the problem if AC should even get a character in the first place seeing how its not a series based around combat or even competition really, but that's another debate.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Lol ^^^

It's the characters Sakurai "Considered" for Brawl. I could imagine they where the top scorers on his poll.

Ganon/Ganondorf (The Legend of Zelda/The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - 1986/1998)
Ridley (Metroid - 1986)
Diddy Kong & Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country/Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest - 1994/1995)
Ninten (Mother - 1989)
Claus (Mother 3 - 2006)
Lucas (Mother 3 - 2006)

Third Party Suggestions

Magnus Gallant (Quest/Nintendo) (Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber - 2000)
Kalas (tri-Crescendo/Monolith Soft) (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean - 2003)
Isn't this from the poll? However awesome it would be to think that Sakurai seriously considered Lololo & Lalala, Muddy Mole, and Kalas, alongside awesome choices like Bow Wow the Chain Chomp and Link's Uncle, it seems too good to be true.

Speaking of which, Monolith Soft is now a 2nd party for Nintendo, isn't it? I doubt that we'll get characters from there, but Baten Kaitos characters would be **** awesome.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Sorry to go back to the Slime/Chocobo debate, but...

"Switching to portables, Iwata has once again confirmed Nintendo's support for Dragon Quest IX in overseas markets. Nintendo has made it very clear that they are going to put their marketing muscle behind Dragon Quest IX, because they want to grow the series' popularity around the world. If it can be a multi-million seller in Japan, why not in Europe or North America?"

http://www.gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=102595

Of course the little blurb above is simply Gonintendo's little comment on said article. The point worth noting is Nintendo's continued effort to advertise the Dragon Quest series. If they (Nintendo) are willing to do this for Dragon Quest IX, it's possible Dragon Quest X could receive similar assistance. The Dragon Quest series has sort of become to Nintendo what Final Fantasy has been to Sony for awhile now. Nintendo wants for Dragon Quest to fare better overseas, because IF Dragon Quest suddenly sees a sharp sales boost with the Western audience. Thus Square might be more inclined to keep future sequels on an Nintendo console.

How would this tie into Smash? You figure it out. ;)

Neo Exdeath

Smash Ace
Lol ^^^

Ridley (Metroid - 1986)
Ninten (Mother - 1989)
Claus (Mother 3 - 2006)
Lucas (Mother 3 - 2006)

Third Party Suggestions

Sakurai considered characters like Link's Uncle, Marx, Blue Virus, Dragon Chan, Vivian, and Paluentua for smash?

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Sakurai considered characters like Link's Uncle, Marx, Blue Virus, Dragon Chan, Vivian, and Paluentua for smash?

Yeah, and we got stuck with Ike, Lucario, and Sonic instead. Banker would have been a much better Robot choice than R.O.B.

I'm convinced more than ever that Sakurai really ****ed up with the final roster.

No, this was an open poll where people put in what they would like to see in a future Smash Bros. release, and these are the characters. Back when the full Brawl speculation was going, there was an actual link to the actual poll that showed how many characters got multiple votes. It went something like:

King Dedede: 5 votes
Ike: 4 Votes
Geno: 4 Votes
Ridley: 4 Votes
Diddy Kong: 4 votes

Those were the highest votes.

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
I don't think Ike got 4. I have no issues with the Brawl roster except for Sonic, Snake and the lack of the Forbidden 7. (note: I just have a personal dislike of Sonic and Snake, no discussion needed.)

Also, for the next game he should try to please the American fanbase by putting in Ridley. Then most of the other choices would go without complaint IMO.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Lol ^^^

[the "poll"]
I hope you guys already know that that's not the poll. Sakurai never revealed the Brawl one.

You all remember the blogs, right? Where people had to write out little paragraphs explaining all the characters, stages, and music that they wanted? This "Brawl poll" is just some guy writing down every name he sees from those letters (and/or Sakurai's responses) regardless of context. That's why you see stuff like Link's Uncle and Professor Kawashima's floating head.

It's also why you can't use it as a definitive barometer for what's on Sakurai's mind.

SnakeX

Smash Rookie
Charcaters:
MGS:
Snake: Alt. costumes for the 'Les Enfants Terribles'
Big Boss: Old and Young, with a switching eye patch as a big reference
NO Raiden, Unless MGSR proves him to be worthy, which is very unlikely
Fire Emblem:
Roy~ With impoved movesets.
Sonic Series:
Shadow: Not a clone, one attack using weapons would be fine.
Sonic: A better final smash than 'Super Sonic'
Third-Party (Newcomers):
Crash B. comes to mind
Stages:
More SSB stages, not just battlefield and Final Destination, but stages that have some complexity to them.
1P Modes:
Co-Op in Classic anyone?
SSBM Style adventure for nostalgia.
Multi-Player
Instead of Challenger approaching after a Fight, the unlock char. enters the next brawl as a CPU and if the CPU wins, The char. stays unlocked until one of the players wins

Hero Dude

Smash Journeyman
I hope you guys already know that that's not the poll. Sakurai never revealed the Brawl one.

You all remember the blogs, right? Where people had to write out little paragraphs explaining all the characters, stages, and music that they wanted? This "Brawl poll" is just some guy writing down every name he sees from those letters (and/or Sakurai's responses) regardless of context. That's why you see stuff like Link's Uncle and Professor Kawashima's floating head.

It's also why you can't use it as a definitive barometer for what's on Sakurai's mind.

1. I never said it was the poll. People seemingly assumed it was.

2. It's not the Brawl poll, its just characters Sakurai saw and thought they where worth being playable. He just looked at a barrage of ideas and put the one he might look at. Like brainstorming.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Okay, before you guys go too far with this (again), let me explain some things:

1. The long character list that has been posted consists of all the characters mentioned in Sakurai's Journal. This "journal" consisted of 255 entries into the offical Brawl poll during May-June 2006 that interested Sakurai and his staff the most. We don't know why he chose most of the entries. Some of them seem to have been picked simply because the staff found them funny (like the one where the guy requests Link's uncle, the Blue virus from Dr. Mario, and Bow-Wow the Chain Chomp from Link's Awakening.) It is very unlikely that he seriously considered everyone on the list. To be completely honest, he probably only seriously considered those mentioned more than once. Of the 21 characters mentioned more than once, only five (Diddy, Ike, Toon Link, King Dedede, and Lucas) became playable.

2. We don't have the offical poll results yet. Melee's weren't offically released to the public until late 2003. Brawl's poll was different from Melee's poll. In the Brawl poll, you could write paragraphs and paragraphs about what you wanted in terms with music and characters. For the Melee poll, you were only given enough space to write the name of a single character. Because of this, it's questionable if Nintendo kept the results too long after the Brawl poll ended.

3. Sakurai said the roster was completed (aside from Sonic) in 2006 and that a large percentage was completely programmed by E3 06. With that being said, it is questionable if the poll was for playable characters and may have actually been more for cameos. All the playable characters in Brawl were introduced to the public were at least introduced to the Japanese before Brawl's development offically began October 2005. Lucario was the last who was introduced in the movie Lucario and the Mystery of Mew which came out in Japan during the summer of 2005 despite Pokemon Diamond and Pearl not being released until the fall. (Technically, Lucas was the last one but he had been revealed/talked about in several press releases since 1999 pertaining to Mother 64.)

Pieman0920

Smash Master
1. I never said it was the poll. People seemingly assumed it was.

2. It's not the Brawl poll, its just characters Sakurai saw and thought they where worth being playable. He just looked at a barrage of ideas and put the one he might look at. Like brainstorming.
Nope, Toise is right. Those are just some (possibly not even all) of the characters names taken from those blogs. Thus random people may or may not have considered them, but we know nothing about Sakurai's views of them. They could have been mentioned in the letters Sakurai got, and Sakurai may not have paid any attention to them at all.

Mowrt620

Smash Journeyman
@Mowrt

A) To my knowledge, Animal Crossing does not outsell DK
B) It wouldn't matter if it did

Sales don't really justify anything. They're kind of a loose indicator for popularity, but that's it. No characters should be put in because their series outsell Mother. The concern w/Animal Crosser is that AC is not a fighter. When you fight in front of the Animal Crossers on Smashville, they look terrrified half the time. If that's how developers perceive the AC (Terrified bystander), then I can't say he has much of a chance. Fighting can be seen as OoC for AC, and rightfully so.

That being said, I'm fine w/Animal Crossing having content in Smash, such as items, stages, ATs, etc. But the Animal Crosser as a fighter? It seems stupid to me. Maybe Tom Nook or someone else from the series, but not the AC himself.
Well, Tom Nook doesn't fight either, in fact, he does almost nothing exept following people. His only moves could be expanding mortgages for the fighters, lol. And you say that AC doesn't fight, well, neither did mario at the begging, or really even sonic (he runs alot) and peach doesn't fight, but they are in, so yeah. Animal Crossing is way important to nintendo, and why would you start a franchizxe rep with a rep that ISN'T the main character. They didn't start the mario series reps with bowser or peach, did they?

BBQTV

Smash Master
which is why i said unless he changes his mind and what do you mean learn to type?

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
Well, I actually meant learn to punctuate. Use caps and such. It's sometimes hard to understand your posts.

Anywho,

@ n88_2004

So what if they look scared? Luigi is Nintendo's no. 1 scaredy-cat and look at Lucas in the SSE.

Well, Tom Nook doesn't fight either, in fact, he does almost nothing exept following people. His only moves could be expanding mortgages for the fighters, lol. And you say that AC doesn't fight, well, neither did mario at the begging, or really even sonic (he runs alot) and peach doesn't fight, but they are in, so yeah. Animal Crossing is way important to nintendo, and why would you start a franchizxe rep with a rep that ISN'T the main character. They didn't start the mario series reps with bowser or peach, did they?
First off Nook was a boxer at one point IIRC, the crosser never fights either digs/ fishes/ owns a house. Nook has the ability to do everything the Crossr can. Peach, Sonic, and Mario fought for what the time period considered fighting (jumping and winking enmies out of existence).

Hero Dude

Smash Journeyman
I don't know. I thought Sakurai posted the list <.<...............
Animal Crossing is definantly one of Nintendos heavy hitters, and it does deserve a bit more reresentation. Mario had atleast jumped on top of turtles. Imagine what it would look like if you jumped on a turtle.

Within Animal Crossing's series, there are many things that could give him a potential moveset.
Fishing Pole, Axe, Slingshot, Umberella, Fruits, Shovel, and a Bug Net.
I am not saying his moveset will revolve around using items, he is capable of punching and kicking.

n88

Smash Lord
Basically, what Shino said. No,Super Mario Bros didn't kick things off with Peach, but Mario =/= Animal Crosser. Mario is a definite character who has displayed the ability to fight. Not only does AC not fight, AC is the star of a non-violent game. Putting AC in Smash, would, IMO, misrepresent the series. Imagine Link in Mario Kart. It just doesn't make sense.

IIRC, Nook used to be a boxer, which makes him more suitable. I don't think Tom Nook should be in, either, but he's a better choice than the Animal Crosser. What I'd rather see for Animal Crossing is a couple stages, maybe two or three Assist Trophies. The series still gets its due, and isn't being misrepresented.

@DekuBoy

You're missing the point. I was referring to the way developers perceived the Animal Crossing characters.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think it would be great if Nintendo did an offical poll sometime in 2010 or 2011. Each region would have its own. The main problem with the Brawl poll is that it focused almost exclusively on the Japanese and requests in any other language weren't even accepted. It was technically open to everyone but the big catch was you had to translate what you wanted to say into real kanji .

Mowrt620

Smash Journeyman
Dude, I can't stress this enough, Animal Crossing needs a rep to begin with, and why would you start a rep with SOMEONE THAT'S NOT THE MAIN CHARACTER?!?!?! TOM NOOK IS NOT THE MAIN HERO AND ANIMAL CROSSER IS, CAPISHE?!?! Well, that's a simple as I can make it, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom