• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberMario

Smash Master
My ideas for items:

Cork gun (Shoots a cork)
Yoshi Egg (Opens into a baby Yoshi, you carry it, and it makes your movement limited. If it connects with an item, the item will be eaten, but if the baby eats a character, it's a OHKO!)
Animal Crate (An animal buddy (DKC) pops out)
Multi-Bottle Rocket (Earthbound)
Master Ball (Temporarily contains a foe)
Hydra (Like Dragoon, but comes from the side)
Piranha Seed (Grows into a piranha plant that lasts for 12 seconds)
Warp Block (Swap places with another character)
Spiny Shell (SLOWLY follows the person that has the most stocks/KOs)
TNT (An explosive barrel)
Wheelie Scooter (A wheelie anyone can ride, works like Wario's bike)

Can someone comment on these item ideas?

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
In response to the AT discussion, there are only five assist trophies with any chance whatsoever. In order of likelihood:

Little Mac: One of those characters who can be considered locks. Little Mac's status as a revived retro character means that he's in a status not yet taken. At the same time, Little Mac can be a retro character and a recent one, meaning that he fills two roles in one moveset. From a developer's standpoint, Little Mac could be based upon punches and kicks, which are easy to develop and balance. He could also be the first Smash fighter who fights realistically (Snake has
super soldier genes
).

Tingle: Yes, America dislikes him. Does Sakurai even care? Nintendo has proven dozens of times over how they favor Japan over America. Some might argue that his removal from Twilight Princess shows that they do care, but the character Purlo who runs the STAR game in Hyrule Castle Town is a direct reference to Tingle and the fact that a character like Tingle was recurring for so long speaks volumes. In any case, Tingle has two successful games of his own and a teaser site is already up for an upcoming third. I consider him so likely that I made him a moveset in Make Your Move 5: click here.

Isaac: Golden Sun is a series of RPGs, successful both critically and financially. It deserved a rep in Brawl and it certainly needs one for SSB4. The reason Isaac is not much higher is his yet unknown status in GS3. The fact that he was a party member in GS2 meant that he was still a good option for Brawl over the main character of GS2, Felix, but if Isaac is not significant in GS3 we may get the new protagonist of GS3 over him. Still, it's a lock that we will get a Golden Sun representative.

Ray: The miniature robot is the best option for a representative of the popular Custom Robo series. I don't have much to say seeing that I'm unfamiliar with the series, but I do know that it's a significant series deserving of a rep.

Starfy: Starfy is the protagonist of the "Legendary Starfy" series. With five games and that the most recent one has just left Japan, I think that we'll be seeing more of the prince of Pufftop. Though the series could have sold better.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
lol. Alex.

But seriously. :mad:
Agreed. :( If I have to be serious.

I really don't see why Sega should get any more characters. Let's limit third party characters to just 2 besides Hobbes.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
In response to the AT discussion, there are only five assist trophies with any chance whatsoever. In order of likelihood:

Little Mac: One of those characters who can be considered locks. Little Mac's status as a revived retro character means that he's in a status not yet taken. At the same time, Little Mac can be a retro character and a recent one, meaning that he fills two roles in one moveset. From a developer's standpoint, Little Mac could be based upon punches and kicks, which are easy to develop and balance. He could also be the first Smash fighter who fights realistically (Snake has
super soldier genes
).

Tingle: Yes, America dislikes him. Does Sakurai even care? Nintendo has proven dozens of times over how they favor Japan over America. Some might argue that his removal from Twilight Princess shows that they do care, but the character Purlo who runs the STAR game in Hyrule Castle Town is a direct reference to Tingle and the fact that a character like Tingle was recurring for so long speaks volumes. In any case, Tingle has two successful games of his own and a teaser site is already up for an upcoming third. I consider him so likely that I made him a moveset in Make Your Move 5: click here.

Isaac: Golden Sun is a series of RPGs, successful both critically and financially. It deserved a rep in Brawl and it certainly needs one for SSB4. The reason Isaac is not much higher is his yet unknown status in GS3. The fact that he was a party member in GS2 meant that he was still a good option for Brawl over the main character of GS2, Felix, but if Isaac is not significant in GS3 we may get the new protagonist of GS3 over him. Still, it's a lock that we will get a Golden Sun representative.

Ray: The miniature robot is the best option for a representative of the popular Custom Robo series. I don't have much to say seeing that I'm unfamiliar with the series, but I do know that it's a significant series deserving of a rep.

Starfy: Starfy is the protagonist of the "Legendary Starfy" series. With five games and that the most recent one has just left Japan, I think that we'll be seeing more of the prince of Pufftop. Though the series could have sold better.
Tingle will NEVER EVER get into Smash. As I have already explained, Sakurai would never add a character an entire region hates. This is why Tingle is an assist. Until American stops hating him, don't expect to him.

I doubt we'll see Ray either. Custom Robo is obscure and there is no real demand for him. There are a lot of other characters that just out compete it.

sundayseclipse

Smash Journeyman
Little Mac and Tingle are the only two that I really think are going to be playable. Others like Samurai Goroh, Isaac, Ray Mk III, Jeff, and Saki Amamiya have chances as well, although they aren't very high chances.
i ment as AT. new AT for smash 4 and replacements for those leaving to playable

tingle may have a chance. also you forgat saki.

um for items i think a mario kart. be like warios bike, but stronger
loz. deity mask(if not have it be links final smash)

FE-pegesius. ride it and ...stuff.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Tingle will NEVER EVER get into Smash. As I have already explained, Sakurai would never add a character an entire region hates. This is why Tingle is an assist. Until American stops hating him, don't expect to him.

I doubt we'll see Ray either. Custom Robo is obscure and there is no real demand for him. There are a lot of other characters that just out compete it.
I WANT to support this, but as it been stated many times before, Sakurai doesn't care much for a character's status overseas. While he does acknowledge it and obviously takes notice of it, I think Tingle is the most likely Legend of Zelda character. And the whole point of Assist trophies is to make people happy for seeing characters they enjoy at least in the game. If Sakurai cared about making people overseas happy, he wouldn't have put in Tingle.

Also, you think Custom Robo doesn't have a chance becasue of its obscurity? Its just as obscure as any of the series, and since when does Sakurai care about obscurity anyway? In fact, he likes obscurity, he feels those games are more original, and Kirby should be evident of this anyway. Furry animals flying around in space battling gigantic space monkeys isn't obscure? A fat italian plumber squashing evil mushrooms and saving princesses from giant fire-breathing turtles with studded bracelets and red mullets isn't obscure? A teenage boy traveling around an imaginary world collecting and battling radioactive super animals isn't obscure at all? I'd rethink your argument if I were you.

Clownbot

Smash Lord

Marth and Roy got into Melee when all of America didn't know who they were. A lot of the retro characters were pretty obscure, as well.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
Umm, yes he would. The fact that a character like Tingle was even created, let alone made so recurring AND given three games proves where Nintendo cares about (though I'm not sure why people complain about Tingle having his own games, when they don't need to play them and they got good reviews- I am strongly considering importing Rosy Rupeeland). Besides, do hatebases really matter? If you dislike a character, that just means that you feel a bit of distaste glancing over their spot on the roster. You never even have to use them. However, a single character who people like (which a great deal of people in Japan do) can make an entire game. Sakurai may not think like that but he does favor Japan- like Clownbot said, there are many Japan-only characters in Smash. It's not like Tingle has any competition for the spot of a Zelda newcomer either. Also, please do not lump all Americans together as hating Tingle, me being an American Tingle fan.

I'm not speaking from personal experience, but I've just seen that Custom Robo is pretty well-selling, has plenty of games and has potential for an interesting character. So it's obscure, but so are plenty of characters in Smash. Many people may have not recognized Mother and Fire Emblem characters when they first played a Smash game.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
What I want to know is just what requirements does a character needs to meet in order to be playable?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I NEVER heard Sakurai talk about adding personalities. Yes, the characters have loads of it, but he would DEFIANTLY not pick characters for personalities. People do not want to play personalities. They want to play with something more. Miis have very little personalities, but people love them. Sakurai probably knows this as well. Choosing characters based on personalities will not make people like the game more or less.

I get what he was saying though. For the most part, any character can be given a moveset. Every character is doable. Doesn't mean every character is a good idea. This is just a counter argument to all the arguments based on uniqueness.

No No No. You've got it backwards. Sakurai is saying that even if the character can be playable, then putting them in the game will still make people happy. You think "See See! Sakurai believe people will just be happy with anyone as long as the characters are somewhere." When it really means, "I can't add every character people want to see. But, if I can add them somewhere, this will still make fans happy." It's not an excuse to add whom ever he wants. It's an excuse that he can't add everyone.
You just contradicted yourself in the same paragraph. People were clamoring for Pit, and Sakurai doesn't care about popularity. It makes no sence. '

The problem with your assumption is two fold
1)It's only based on the notes from GDC that say it was finished in 2005. Other sources, like Thinkman's thread, say 2006. Your argument is not based on evidence to support the claim, but on an assumption on the date that leads to another conclusion. So far, there is no evidence to support your claim. But...
2)Tell me. If Sakurai based his entire roster off of what he wanted for uniqueness, then why does the roster reflect fans demand. Why is Lucario in there. Or Olimar. Pit (there are more unique classic characters). Why add Toon Link when Young Link was unoriginal and, otherwise, not loved a lot? Why is Wolf there (Wolf is very popular in Japan and somewhat over here)? Why was Sonic even added (if what you claim is true, then why would he care about Sonic? Most people all ready complain he has an uninteresting moveset. There was more unique material)? What I'm saying is there is no reason to claim why Sakurai magically got the roster "right" in fans minds when he did a year too early and was only for his own enjoyment. If it was for his own enjoyment, wouldn't it have looked like Tatsunoko vs Capcom where the game is filled with oddball obscure characters (from Capcom's side)?

He was the same way on NinDB. But yeah, I hear yeah. I'm surprised it's not at least a trophy.[/QUOTE]

1. He mentioned it in the post E3 06 notes (AKA Sakurai's journal) and, when you think about it, it makes sense. Take Mario and Luigi, for example. Ignoring their roles within their respective franchise and their appearance (which isn't too different in this case), what really sets them apart? How Fox, Falco, and Wolf? Link and Toon Link? As I said before, Dr. Mario is the only anti-thesis to this and he's no longer part of the playable franchise anyways.

2. I agree with that but I was just saying that the characters that he mentioned weren't that bizarre when it came to adjusting them to Smash. As I've said in the past, you can lead Epona to the roster, but you can't make it practical. :laugh:

3. I disagree, I do believe that Sakurai believes that simply putting certain characters in as cameos makes them happy. For example, on the Dojo, he acknowledges that Waluigi, Samurai Goroh, and Little Mac were very popular but he made them into ATs. If you go through the list of all the characters mentioned in "Sakurai's journal", you will find (aside from the third party characters obviously) that a vast majority of the characters are in Brawl but as cameos. The quote that ToiseofChoice posted can't really be interpreted any other way as his wording is no where as vague as what he says about characters usually are.

4. People were clamoring for Pit... in North America. Enormous difference. In 2005, Nsider did a poll asking people who they wanted to see most in the next Smash Bros. The results, oddly enough ended up being:

1. Wario
2. Toad
3. Waluigi
4. Hammer Bros
5. Olimar

Despite not even placing, I remember people talking about him alot... on North American forums. Sakurai does not care that much about the opinions outside Japan. Shocking, yes but it's something that needs to be known in order to view future character choices with the right mindset. That's right, the rosters everyone has been posting since 2005 don't mean Jack. The only thing he's ever said concerning territories outside of Japan is that he doesn't want to add too many Japanese exclusive characters as not to appear biased. That's pretty much it. The only contact he's ever had with the North American fans is the letter he sent to Nsider asking people how they felt about the trailer and the addition of Metaknight, Wario, Snake, ZSS, and Pit.

Pit was in the Melee poll but he had even less votes than the Ice Climbers and yet he still made it into Smash which kinds of turns the "popularity gets characters in" theory on its head. ROB is an anti-thesis to this. Mr. Game and Watch is an anti-thesis to this. Pokemon Trainer is an anti-thesis to this. The fact that the majority of new characters in Brawl were essentially "left overs" from Melee attests to this. The fact that, again, a giant chunk of the characters mentioned in Sakurai's journal were mere cameos including some of the most popular like Ridley, Waluigi, Lyn (who was argueably more popular than Ike), Little Mac, and Krystal acts as an anti-thesis too.

As for your parade of character questions (many which I've already answered):

Lucario-Reps the most recent generation. Diamond and Pearl weren't even released yet when Brawl was technically started but look at all the pokeball pokemon from that generation: piplup, bonsly, weaville, and manaphy. What do all these pokemon have in common? They were all revealed before D/P's release via movies, press releases, or episodes in the anime. As I explained in another post, Lucario was revealed earlier in 2005 in a press release and was the first fourth generation to have a movie centered around it. Just a minor note, it was also the first non-legendary pokemon to be the main focus in a pokemon movie. Lucario and the Mystery of Mew was also the first fourth generation movie so that should be noted as well.

Olimar- As I've mentioned *counts fingers but runs out* many times before, Pikmin was pretty much the only "new" franchise that was added and only became established like a day or two before Melee's release (2001). All the other franchises are older and this is even shown in Brawl's All-Star mode with Olimar being your last fight and Pokemon (originally released in 1996 in Japan) being second to last. Also to be noted, it was the only major Miyamoto franchise (the others being Mario, DK, Zelda, Star Fox, and F-Zero) that wasn't yet repped and the only new Nintendo console franchise introduced during the Gamecube generation that didn't bomb spectacularly like Odama and Geist.

Pit- Again, Melee left over and his cryptic trophy descrption should be noted as well. "Will Pit ever fight again?" If anything, like Mr. Game and Watch, Pit was probably added more as a tribute to Gunpei Yokoi than anything else. To those of you who don't know, Yokoi was the creator of the Game and Watch, Metroid, Kid Icarus, the Gameboy, Wario (as well as the Mario and first two Wario Land games), Intelligent Systems (the second party responsible for franchises like Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, and Custom Robo) and the Virtual Boy. He is also noted for being Iwata and Miyamoto's mentor and is referred to some people as Nintendo's grandfather. He died in 1997 (car accident) but is still remembered as one of the most influential men the gaming industry has ever had.

Toon Link- Essentially replaced Young Link in the Zelda franchise. Think about it, Young Link's last game was Majora's Mask while Toon Link, since then, has had the Wind Waker, both Four Swords games, the Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass, and soon to be Spirit Tracks. The time span between Majora's Mask and Brawl is eight years so, obviously, Young Link was left far behind in favor of the new "young Link."

Wolf- As already explained, Melee left over and some argue that Wolf was originally planned for Melee anyways due to his appearance in the Melee opening trailer (where it can be seen that he looks extremelly similar to Fox). People say that Wolf was more popular in Japan than Krystal but I've seen little evidence of this even when I'd sometimes dive in the larger Japanese forums to keep myself from going crazy waiting for Brawl. :laugh:

Sonic- Sonic could be argued that he's the only anti-thesis to this because Sakurai came out and said that he was added due to extreme fanboy pressure his strong popularity. He still follows the "rules" I mentioned earlier though despite Sakurai giving him an uninspired moveset and Snake's codec suggesting that Sakurai wasn't too thrilled about adding him. You also have to keep in mind that Sonic was added nearly two years after everyone else and after (going off of what Kojima said in an interview in April 2007 after being allowed to test the game) probably around 85% of the game was done. Also, let's face it, if Sonic hadn't been added, it would have probably triggered wide spread genocide especially after the announcment of Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games (which was probably what convinced Sakurai to finally give in). It should be noted though that Yugi Naka (Sonic's creator) said in 2003 that he had approached Sakurai a few months before Melee was released but the game was too far in development to add Sonic so, adding how he was in the Melee poll, it could just as easily be argued that he was yet another left over from Melee like Snake.

Also, if you were here when Brawl was released, you'd know that many people weren't satisfied with the roster. A lot of popular choices were left on the cutting room floor and less popular characters beat out some of the megatons that ruled the forums both here and across the ocean between 2005-2008. As already pointed out *counts fingers and toes but runs out* many times before, nearly all the new characters were left overs from Melee either from the poll (Wario, Diddy, Pit, Metaknight, King Dedede, Wolf, Pokemon Trainer, and Sonic) or mentioned in interviews (Snake and Lucas) and, as already mentioned numerous times, Ike and Lucario represented the most recent additions to their respective franchises leaving Olimar (already explained) and ROB.

To finish this giant wall of text off, I have two things left to say.

1. Have you ever thought of WHY certain characters are popular? I'll tell you why, it's most often because they are interesting and unique. (Holy crap, who divided by zero?!?) For example, look at Geno; he's a possessed wooden doll that has the artillery of a small army which are equipped in compartments in his hands, wrists, and even elbows. I can't say there are many characters like that in gaming, can you? Now look at characters within their own franchises and this makes even more sense. For example, in the Kirby franchise, who are more noteworthy than Metaknight (a miniature knight who follows a strict code of chivalry and has a giant aircraft in his likeness) and King Dedede (an obese eagle who weilds a giant hammer)? Why did people in North America want Pit so much despite probably 98% of the people who wanted him never playing Kid Icarus or Of Myths and Monsters? Because he was interesting and unique and this can be said for pretty much everyone in Smash Bros. As Sakurai is human (although some would argue a troll or god depending on who you speak to), it can be assumed that he can be interested in things too. As I have said before (yes, I say a lot of things, what of it?), Sakurai is a lot like Miyamoto in how he does what he wants but a majority of the time it lines up with the fans tastes.

2. Thinkaman was not the only person who attended Sakurai's conference at GDC 08. There were other people that reported on it and also proved that Thinkaman lied about some things like Sakurai playing with three controllers at once. He's the most known though because he told his story here despite adding some "artistic liberties." From what you've said, I get the feeling that this is the only side of the story you're aware of .

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Outstanding as in your opinion, right?

Anyways, I can't tell what Fatman and Smashchu are actually arguing about, even though I know its about how characters get in. I still say that its basically a backwards version of that one Enzo posted, whith popularity being the first factor, uniquenss as a character being second, and Sakurai's favoratism being third. While Sakurai has been known to not just give into everyone's demands, the vast majority of characters are important characters from major series. There are indeed a few that go against the mold, but they are just a few.

But anyways, onto something that I saw earlier in this thread but didn't coment on, aka those franchise specific items that would be around a FS level of destruction....I really don't think that's a good idea. Too many powerful items, especially with unthought out methods of balancing them, would be really bad.

n88

Smash Lord
That would be terrible. Golden Hammers are too powerful as it is. If anything, items should be weaker in SSB4, and ATs and Pokeballs stronger.

compucroftian counterpart

mycroft

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Good read. I have a question though... Is it true that Nintendo/Sakurai originally intended SSBM to be the last iteration of the smash series? I'm just curious. If not, I'd really want Geno in the next game. I can't think of any other outstanding characters ATM.
Sakurai did intend Melee to be the last Smash game that he directed because soon after completing Melee, he essentially packed his bags and left Nintendo/HAL Laboratories. His complaint was that he was sick of making sequels and wanted to get away from a bit and try new things. The one major project he did away from Nintendo was Meteos and, as we know, founded SORA.

Time has a funny way of changing people, Sakurai basically started Brawl thinking "God, I don't want to make this game" and after Brawl was finished thought "God, I can't wait to make the next game." :laugh: Granted, he's currently working on a big project with Nintendo that's not related to Smash Bros but, when the game is supposedly released in 2011, I wouldn't be surprized in the least if his sights turned to SSB4.

What I want to know is just what requirements does a character needs to meet in order to be playable?
From what we have, it's like what me, Spydr, and Toise have been saying:

Sakurai's interest > uniqueness >>> popularity

There are some other aspects that do seem to help a character out though but to a smaller degree:

1. The character is playable in at least one canon game.
2. The character has a leading role in a game (hero, villian, side kick, etc).
3. The character represents their own franchise.

So far, every character that has been in Smash Bros has followed at least one of these three standards.

Outstanding as in your opinion, right?

Anyways, I can't tell what Fatman and Smashchu are actually arguing about, even though I know its about how characters get in. I still say that its basically a backwards version of that one Enzo posted, whith popularity being the first factor, uniquenss as a character being second, and Sakurai's favoratism being third. While Sakurai has been known to not just give into everyone's demands, the vast majority of characters are important characters from major series. There are indeed a few that go against the mold, but they are just a few.
Basically, his arguement is that popularity is the most important factor while I believe it's Sakurai's interest. Granted, I used to believe the same until GDC 08 gave me a huge swift kick in the nuts and wrecked many of my theories concerning specific characters. I think it was the case with Melee but things were different for Brawl, probably because Brawl's development was mostly focused on the SSE and the online options. Also, I pointed out that there is sort of a triangle that occurs with most of the characters in Smash Bros: the important characters are among the most popular due to their unique qualities. There are a few characters that don't follow all three but every character follows at least two of those. In short, usually the most unique characters are among the most popular.

markopoleoh

Smash Cadet
defanitly fix online (1v1 option, ranking system, etc)

BETTER STORY! make it more in depth, dont just make a few little scenes

keep the origonal 12: this is defanitly important

a few more third party characters: people want it, so why not

heres something i didnt see to many people want as another character

Black mage and white mage
black mage would be an offensive character with many ranged spells
white mage would be the opposite almost, many defensive spells but still far range

character creater: this is defanitly not going to happen, but it would be extremely awesome, being able to put in moves from certain characters

change the PT pokemon, completely redo the pokemon

the ability to upload things from SD card (without hacking, things like stages, replays, MUSIC, etc)

take out the clones: nuff said

no more ghey tripping: yup

a few more regular characters: i dont want to see to many, but a few more wouldnt hurt

the big gap between japan and US must be closed! i mean that all the cool characters made in japan should also be added, i noticed there was only 1 japan character in brawl... it wasnt even a character it was an assist trophy,

alternates:kind of like clones, only they fit under 1 character as a costume, makes it so that moves are slightly altered( for example, mario and doctor mario, mario could have a weaker fsmash and docs could be stronger, but slower, you get what i mean)

-saltz, the SD wizard

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Regarding Sakurai's interest. There's the question of what will raise interest in his eyes. Arguably, it could be popularity, adding a character while looking up the different series (which he didn't do for Brawl obviously), a suggestion from an employee, or thinking a fighter of a certain type would be neat (R.O.B.).

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
Formerly, I backed Sheeda as Fire Emblem's primary candidate for additional representation, but after joining the many FE fans who played and loved FE4, I now back a new candidate.

Sigurd
Lord of Chalphy​

Why would this character be included?​

There are three reasons actually. Fan favoritism, potential, and Sakurai favoritism.

Fan Favorite, You Say?​

Sigurd is the lord of the first "book" of Fire Emblem: Seisen No Keifu, the 4th installment of the series that is only available in Japan, except through the use of emulators. This game is possibly the most popular one in the series, and is widely recommended by English fans that played it via import or emulation. The game spawned three manga series and a trading card game, and a set of figurines was released more than 10 years after the game's initial release.

Sigurd is also known for being the first "broken Lord". Up until Sigurd's time, the main Lords had a history of really really sucking combat-wise. Sigurd changed this by being a pre-promote with great bases and amazing stats, particularly in the areas of strength, skill, and defense. To this day, there have only been three FE Lords who stand out as being very broken- Sigurd, Hector, and Ike. Sigurd is arguably the most powerful of them all due to his ability to control the weapon triangle by wielding both lances and swords and having the ability to freely equip a new weapon after already making his attack on top of his ability to solo much of FE4's first book. He was also mounted, giving him an impressive movement range and the ability to continue his movement after performing an attack.

Potential?​

Sigurd, if chosen for Smash representation, would be the first mounted character to be in Smash. He rides a horse in his game. He is also able to wield both the conventional sword and the spear, freely swapping between the two. This gives him a lot more potential to be unique than most FE Lords have.

What is this Sakurai Favoritism of Which You Speak?​

Sigurd has been said to be Sakurai's favorite character from the Fire Emblem series. We all know how biased Sakurai can be, evidenced by how broken the Kirby characters are and the inclusion of not only one, but two characters from the Mother series. Sakurai's favoritism towards Sigurd would be the icing on the cake if Sigurd can get enough backing from non-hardcore fans of the series.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Big post about Sigurd
Good points Chris, but while Sigurd is a candidate for SSB4, there are several flaws with your argument. First of all, I've seen much more popularity in characters like Lyn and Micaiah, partly because they are more global characters. While Sigurd is up there near the top, his popularity isn't as great as these characters.

Secondly, being on horseback is unique, but it would be a bit strange, something that better suits MYM movesets than an actual Smash game. I'm pretty sure if Sigurd was playable, he would be on foot.

And finally, Sigurd isn't Sakurai's favorite Fire Emblem character, though this is a common mistake made by many people, so it doesn't surprise me that you brought this up. Sakurai's actual favorite Fire Emblem character went by the name of Nabarl, or something like that, but it definitely wasn't Sigurd. If we see a new Fire Emblem character, expect a new Lord or possibly one of the more recent ones.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
Good points Chris, but while Sigurd is a candidate for SSB4, there are several flaws with your argument. First of all, I've seen much more popularity in characters like Lyn and Micaiah, partly because they are more global characters. While Sigurd is up there near the top, his popularity isn't as great as these characters.

I was referring to hardcore fans of the series alone in terms of popularity. This includes the Japanese and those who have emulated his game. Outsiders and minor fans to the series will of course be more familiar with Lyn, who appears as a trophy, and Micaiah, the lord of a recent FE.

Secondly, being on horseback is unique, but it would be a bit strange, something that better suits MYM movesets than an actual Smash game. I'm pretty sure if Sigurd was playable, he would be on foot.

Horseback could actually be quite a simple implementation. It's a lot less crazy then most of the things you would find in MYM, and this is coming from a long-time MYMer.

And finally, Sigurd isn't Sakurai's favorite Fire Emblem character, though this is a common mistake made by many people, so it doesn't surprise me that you brought this up. Sakurai's actual favorite Fire Emblem character went by the name of Nabarl, or something like that, but it definitely wasn't Sigurd. If we see a new Fire Emblem character, expect a new Lord or possibly one of the more recent ones.

Navarre was his favorite character? Ah... perhaps I heard wrong. Sigurd is Sakurai's favorite FE Lord, right?
Replies in yellow.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Replies in yellow.
Actually, the most recent evidence we have of Sigurd's popularity regarding SSB4 (which is most of the popularity Sakurai cares about) are the Melee polls, and that was a LONG time ago, about a decade. Even then, Sigurd's popularity wasn't as high as other Fire Emblem characters, and I'm sure it has changed drastically since 1999 (around the time of the Melee polls) with characters from the newer games and the such.

Being on horseback is certainly unique and I agree, it isn't as crazy as a lot of the MYM stuff, but you can most likely expect Sigurd to be fighting on foot if he was in the game and he would be almost doomed to be a clone of Marth, but he does have a bit of potential.

And finally, no, Sakurai's favorite Fire Emblem character (as of the Melee polls, we don't know if it has changed) was a character named Nabarl. He never said anything about Sigurd, which is a common mistake made by many.

G&W X

Smash Cadet
I really want Geno inside SSB4 and also what would be awesome would be FINAL SMASH FACEOFF(sorry for shouting just so awesome) And of course also add back Mewtwo no more Lucario or turn him into someone who won't a clone of Mewtwo and all clones shall get their own moveset and Ganon gets a sword......

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
With the Notch-Eared Pichu event and the Arceus movie, there's a much higher chance of Pichu returning for SSB4.

Not that it will or anything. Also, whatever happened to Plusle/Minun being possible?

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Spydr: This is the guy. Lots of characters from Marth's games have like 5 different names for some wacky reason.

Also, I'm 99% sure the only FE prospects we have are either Roy or a new Lord. There's no reason for Sakurai to go out of his way to introduce someone from an existing game when people still want Roy back.

With the Notch-Eared Pichu event and the Arceus movie, there's a much higher chance of Pichu returning for SSB4.

Not that it will or anything. Also, whatever happened to Plusle/Minun being possible?
I think the best way to get Pichu (and/or P&M) in the game would be as alt costumes for Pikachu. Pichu wouldn't hurt himself (or herself if it's Notched-ear Pichu, whatever) like it does in Melee, but I'm pretty sure no one would mind. On their own though, no way.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
We aren't getting extra reps for a third party series, seeing as they are guests. For all we know Sonic and Snake may not be returning.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace

There are much more possibilities for Pokemon before Pichu returns, and Mewtwo will DEFINITELY return before Pichu does, and Mewtwo really isn't as likely as it seems. So, I would say Pichu's chances are close to none.

And you must be referring to the "prai_mai" name discovered in Brawl's codes along with seven other characters. This is discovered to not be Plusle and Minun, because if it was, they would each have separate codes instead of sharing a single one (Popo and Nana have different codes, Shiek and Zelda have different codes, etc.).

Spydr: This is the guy. Lots of characters from Marth's games have like 5 different names for some wacky reason.

Also, I'm 99% sure the only FE prospects we have are either Roy or a new Lord. There's no reason for Sakurai to go out of his way to introduce someone from an existing game when people still want Roy back.
Ah, thanks Toise. Also I never said I thought Nabarl had a chance for SSB4 (because he doesn't really compared to other more deserving ones), I was only showing that he is Sakurai's favorite Fire Emblem character, not Sigurd, which is a common mistake made by many people.

I want more Sonic character, preferably tails or shadow.
Of course you do. EVERYBODY who comes in here with a Sonic avatar (which is quite a few, annoyingly) wants more Sonic characters. The other day we had a guy who named off six Sonic characters and thought it was possible. The truth is, like Wizzerd said, we won't be seeing multiple characters representing their Third Party series, so don't expect Tails or Shadow, or anyone.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I really don't think many people want Roy back....and if they do, its pretty much for aesthetics. His game wasn't released in internationally, he was a clone, and unless you understood Japanese, he didn't say anything interesting. In addition, he wasn't even intended to be added in by Sakurai, and by some accounts, was forced in there to advertise the next Fire Embem. From most accounts, even those that actually played the Fire Emblem that he was in didn't like him, so I can't think of a real good reason to add him in.

In the mean time, there have been several international FE lords that have weapons that wouldn't designate them as clones, which give them two points up over Roy. Of course their chances are lowered too if another FE game actually does come out at any time before the next Smash, since adding in the new character does seem to be the general trend.

EDIT: Oh! And in the case of Sigurd, he's very unlikely. For one, he is a blue haired FE swordsman. While I know some people may argue that its a poor reason, I really don't think Sakurai would go down that route with Fire Emblem, since it seems like so much of the same. The horseback thing doesn't seem like something that would be added, and I don't think he'd use a spear much, given that it seems like the lords in Smash use their primary weapons (Ike, where's your axe? Lyn, there are a bunch of other katana using ATs, so why not use your bow?) Plus as I understand, Cecile is basically the main lord for the second half of that game, and makes it into FE5, making him a better representation of that particular FE world.

EDIT 2:

And you must be referring to the "prai_mai" name discovered in Brawl's codes along with seven other characters. This is discovered to not be Plusle and Minun, because if it was, they would each have separate codes instead of sharing a single one (Popo and Nana have different codes, Shiek and Zelda have different codes, etc.).
That may not be the case you know. It could have been that they functioned as one, on a level even greater than Popo and Nana, and couldn't be seperated from each other in combat. It could also have been that there was just so little data for it that they didn't even spit it at the time. Plus, how many other characters could have been Pra_mai?

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Ah, thanks Toise. Also I never said I thought Nabarl had a chance for SSB4 (because he doesn't really compared to other more deserving ones), I was only showing that he is Sakurai's favorite Fire Emblem character, not Sigurd, which is a common mistake made by many people.
Yeah I know, just wanted to clarify the name thing since you seemed confused when he said Navarre instead of Nabarl.

I really don't think many people want Roy back....and if they do, its pretty much for aesthetics. His game wasn't released in internationally, he was a clone, and unless you understood Japanese, he didn't say anything interesting. In addition, he wasn't even intended to be added in by Sakurai, and by some accounts, was forced in there to advertise the next Fire Embem. From most accounts, even those that actually played the Fire Emblem that he was in didn't like him, so I can't think of a real good reason to add him in.

In the mean time, there have been several international FE lords that have weapons that wouldn't designate them as clones, which give them two points up over Roy. Of course their chances are lowered too if another FE game actually does come out at any time before the next Smash, since adding in the new character does seem to be the general trend.
This is gonna parallel into Pokemon/Mewtwo territory a little so bear with me. Also I may or may not be on painkillers.

I believe that if Sakurai wants a new Lord (or Pokemon) he'll get the newest hot thing from Gen 5 or FE12 or whatever. We all agree on that though. But what do you do if all the big movie Pokemon end up as massive legendaries that control the world in some form and also have one of those stupid eternal struggles that must not be disturbed? What if the next couple of FE games end up having that "all-star cast" Narihiro is talking about? Or just remakes of FE2, 4, 5, and 6? What will Sakurai do in the possibility he DOESN'T use new characters?

Now, amongst FE fans who played most of the games, Roy is meh. Obviously a tier thing because he promotes in the last 5 seconds of the game (which is like having your starting Pokemon evolve during the Elite Four), but storywise most have nothing against him. But to Smash fans? Yes, he's still very popular. Entirely because of Melee, but easily far more so than any FE character that hasn't appeared in Smash. People won't forget he exists by the time Smash 4 pops up.

Also I've heard that Sakurai was the one who chose Roy, that he wasn't forced in by Nintendo executives. Not that that matters, but it does fall in line with his statement that all the rosters were chosen by him and him alone. Anyway, the only other thing would be his clone status, and I really doubt Sakurai cares about that. What's one more clone mean to him?

Of course none of what I just said matters if we get a new guy, but I'm really having a hard time seeing why Sigurd/Lyn/Micaiah would have any priority over Roy. Or for that matter, any Gen1-4 Pokemon who isn't in Brawl over Mewtwo. They've BEEN in Smash before, people remember them, people miss them. If the opportunity arises to bring them back, why wouldn't he take it?

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
lol the only sonic character i want added is the Tails Doll
(but be honest a new sonic rep isnt impossible.)

the characters who were cut were clones/ or replaced to the newer audience of that franchise. no big deal.
Actually that is a crock, but I am so tired of talking about these characters as of now I really do not want to discuss it.

And absolutely no to anymore Sonic characters, unless it is Knuckles. ;)

Seriously, Sonic is good enough. Be grateful we even have him.

sundayseclipse

Smash Journeyman
Actually that is a crock, but I am so tired of talking about these characters as of now I really do not want to discuss it.

And absolutely no to anymore Sonic characters, unless it is Knuckles. ;)

Seriously, Sonic is good enough. Be grateful we even have him.
KUDOS ON KNUCKLES

i put tails doll cuz for lols since hes cursed >_>(google it)

yah sonics good enough,but theres oh so many wants and needs.if there was 1 its prbly knucks or tails

any way.

hmm whats a wtf company that acually may have a chance to be put in smash 4.

i can only think of disney

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Yeah I know, just wanted to clarify the name thing since you seemed confused when he said Navarre instead of Nabarl.

This is gonna parallel into Pokemon/Mewtwo territory a little so bear with me. Also I may or may not be on painkillers.

I believe that if Sakurai wants a new Lord (or Pokemon) he'll get the newest hot thing from Gen 5 or FE12 or whatever. We all agree on that though. But what do you do if all the big movie Pokemon end up as massive legendaries that control the world in some form and also have one of those stupid eternal struggles that must not be disturbed? What if the next couple of FE games end up having that "all-star cast" Narihiro is talking about? Or just remakes of FE2, 4, 5, and 6? What will Sakurai do in the possibility he DOESN'T use new characters?
I very much doubt that all of those games will be remade, but if the earlier FE games are indeed remade, then we may see a character from them instead. I still don't think Sigurd of all people will get in because of his aethetics problem, but that's another issue.

Now, amongst FE fans who played most of the games, Roy is meh. Obviously a tier thing because he promotes in the last 5 seconds of the game (which is like having your starting Pokemon evolve during the Elite Four), but storywise most have nothing against him. But to Smash fans? Yes, he's still very popular. Entirely because of Melee, but easily far more so than any FE character that hasn't appeared in Smash. People won't forget he exists by the time Smash 4 pops up.
But it simply makes no sense, since it seems that the attachment is only based on his name and his red hair. Yes there are indeed people who liked Roy back from Melee, but I don't think the majority of them were Fire Emblem fans. FE fans (who the Fire Emblem pick should be geared more towards) don't really care too much about Roy, and you're just saying that non-fans who liked the way he looked will be the deciding influence over him. Heck, its like adding in Dr. Mario over Bowser Jr. or Paper Mario, just because some fans who have no clue about Mario complained about him not having his doctor suit any more.

Also I've heard that Sakurai was the one who chose Roy, that he wasn't forced in by Nintendo executives. Not that that matters, but it does fall in line with his statement that all the rosters were chosen by him and him alone. Anyway, the only other thing would be his clone status, and I really doubt Sakurai cares about that. What's one more clone mean to him?
The problem with Sakurai stories is that its hard to know who's really right. From what I heard, Hiroshi Yamaouchi himself is the one who wanted the upcoming Fire Emblem to be represented, and that's why a character who's game hadn't even come out at the time got in. (Yamaouchi was also the reason why FE had never come out internationally...at least according to this story) In addition, given Roy's data in Melee (aka his name being EMBLEM) this story does seem a bit possible, seeing as that name implies that at the time he was being added in, the FE6 team didn't even give him a name.

Of course none of what I just said matters if we get a new guy, but I'm really having a hard time seeing why Sigurd/Lyn/Micaiah would have any priority over Roy. Or for that matter, any Gen1-4 Pokemon who isn't in Brawl over Mewtwo. They've BEEN in Smash before, people remember them, people miss them. If the opportunity arises to bring them back, why wouldn't he take it?
Mewtwo is a completely different case though. He's not Japan only. He's not part of a series that switches casts each game. He wasn't a clone. These two are hardly comparable, and given the fact that there are multiple international non-clone characters already existing, I don't see why a bunch of non-FE fans should have enough sway to include a character that they only like because of his looks.

Zario777

Smash Apprentice
Alternates: Kind of like clones, only they fit under 1 character as a costume, makes it so that moves are slightly altered( for example, mario and doctor mario, mario could have a weaker fsmash and docs could be stronger, but slower, you get what i mean)

-saltz, the SD wizard
YES! I had the same friggin idea! I'm working on making an alternate character for every1 in SSBB because I think its a really good idea.

Mario=Fludd Mario
Luigi=Paper Luigi
Peach=Super Princess Peach (uses Parry and her emotions)
Bowser=Bowser Jr. (complete with the paintbrush)
DK=Chunky
Diddy=Tiny
Yoshi=Birdo
Wario=Waluigi
Link=Wolf Link and or Midna
Zelda=Shiek
Toon Link=Young Link
Samus=Zamus
Popo and Nana still work together, but depending on the leader can change the moveset (not specials though)
Olimar=Louie
Pikachu=Pichu or Raichu
Lucario=Mewtwo
Marth=Roy
Sonic=Shadow

Thats all I have right now. I don't want to hear anyone say that this idea is unlikely or impossible becuase I really don't care. Some of you guys destroy other people's dreams with your sledge hammers of truth, facts, and opinions. :ohwell:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Anyone else here think Travis Touchdown would be a nice addition? I mean, I could think of a moveset with the bean katana. And even though he stars in M games, Snake did too, so what's the difference?

Oh, and Suda51 said he's like to see Travis in the next Smash Bros :)

Pieman0920

Smash Master
YES! I had the same friggin idea! I'm working on making an alternate character for every1 in SSBB because I think its a really good idea.

Mario=Fludd Mario
Luigi=Paper Luigi
DK=Chunky
Diddy=Tiny
Yoshi=Birdo
Wario=Waluigi
Zelda=Shiek
Toon Link=Young Link
Samus=Zamus
Popo and Nana still work together, but depending on the leader can change the moveset (not specials though)
Olimar=Louie
Pikachu=Pichu or Raichu
Lucario=Mewtwo
Marth=Roy
Sonic=Shadow

Thats all I have right now. I don't want to hear anyone say that this idea is unlikely or impossible becuase I really don't care. Some of you guys destroy other people's dreams with your sledge hammers of truth, facts, and opinions. :ohwell:
I know you say you don't want to hear what others say, but I do think I have to say a few things here. For one, the current Mario is FLUDD Mario. If you want a non-FLUDD Mario, then you could just have Dr. Mario, who you didn't include, who could keep his old Down B. In addition, certain characters such as Waluigi, Bowser Jr. (with paintbrush), Tiny, and Wolf Link wouldn't really work like that as clones. Also ZSS and Sheik are transformations, rather than clone/alt characters.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I really want Geno inside SSB4.
The time to act is not yet upon us. The Geno Alliance will rise again!
But first I need to get money to go back to Kyoto before 2012...

Doubtful because two or three more movies will have come out before SSB4 probably even begins development. They make them on a nearly yearly basis so the Notch-Eared Pichu will probably quickly lose its relevance.

Mario=Fludd Mario
Luigi=Paper Luigi
DK=Chunky
Diddy=Tiny
Yoshi=Birdo
Wario=Waluigi
Zelda=Shiek
Toon Link=Young Link
Samus=Zamus
Olimar=Louie
Pikachu=Pichu or Raichu
Lucario=Mewtwo
Marth=Roy
Sonic=Shadow

I hate to do it again but most of these would be too complicated to do and basically be the equvilent of adding new characters altogether.

the characters who were cut were clones/ or replaced to the newer audience of that franchise. no big deal.
This. I've been playing a lot of Fire Emblem games as of late and I've come to realize that the franchise has a lot of great characters but, realistically, the most recent lords will probably be the ones who make it. I think it's impossible to not play favorites while going through the games (for example, my favorites for Fire Emblem for the GBA are Erk, Will, and Jaffar) which is why I imagine they do just stick with the most recent lords at the time development started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom