• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
For a Fire Emblem character, I now believe Roy's chances are not so great. His character in teh fire emblem was not so popular and most popularity I must presume is from melee. Where he isn't a wimp you have to baby sit.

Sigurd has a much better chance at getting in then Lyn ( not sure about Hector thoug). Sigurd was the main lord in FE 4. Which is considered one of the best FE games of all time (introducing new gameplay features into the fire emblem world). If you have not played a majority of FE games then I really do not feel you have a good solid point in Fire Emblem reps.

A new fire emblem game could just walts right in and destroy the discussion for fire emblem rep.

What would I give for a remake of FE4 @__@

Zario777

Smash Apprentice
I know you say you don't want to hear what others say, but I do think I have to say a few things here. For one, the current Mario is FLUDD Mario. If you want a non-FLUDD Mario, then you could just have Dr. Mario, who you didn't include, who could keep his old Down B. In addition, certain characters such as Waluigi, Bowser Jr. (with paintbrush), Tiny, and Wolf Link wouldn't really work like that as clones. Also ZSS and Sheik are transformations, rather than clone/alt characters.
I don't mind lite suggustions, i meant those responses that would say that they wouldn't impliment this idea because of *insert some sort of disproving statement here*.

Also, I meant that the characters would be alternate because they look like the original character, but had a completly different moveset.
Like Mario and Fludd Mario, I changed Mario's Down B from FLUDD to Ground Pound so that Fludd Mario could have it. And I made the alternate characters share as little moves as the original character as possible (the only move that Olimar and the moveset I gave Louie share is the Nair. The rest are different)

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Here are my thoughts on Fire Emblem. First of all, Roy doesn't really have that much of a chance. He was one of the five clone characters that were insered later in the game to fill up spots because a few of the developers felt that 20 character slots wasn't enough. Since there was still time, they created five characters with the same moves (and a few altered differences) but a new model. These five characters were Dr. Mario, Young Link, Pichu, Falco, and Roy. Dr. Mario was chosen because of his similarity to Mario and his simplicity when it comes to designing, Young Link was chosen because he is similar to Link and was a recurring Legend of Zelda character of the time, appearing in the two biggest Zelda games, and Falco was chosen due to his popularity over the other members of the Star Fox team. Pichu appealed to Sakurai becasue Sakurai wanted a "joke" character, he was simple and similar to Pikachu, and represented the Gold/Silver Pokemon games. Roy was also chosen by Sakurai, but his choice was pushed a bit by Nintendo to promote FE6, and Sakurai felt it would be a good idea himself and it would be simple with Marth already in the game (this is also one of the reasons Marth and Roy were both unlockable in Melee).

So, aside from that little history lesson, we found out that FE6 didn't do to well for a Fire Emblem game and furthermore, Roy wasn't a very popular character within the game. While he may be popular among veteran Smash fans, his popularity isn't enough to bring him back, and he doesn't have much of a chance compared to a newer Fire Emblem Lord or a next-generation Fire Emblem Lord.

YES! I had the same friggin idea! I'm working on making an alternate character for every1 in SSBB because I think its a really good idea.

Mario=Fludd Mario
Luigi=Paper Luigi
Peach=Super Princess Peach (uses Parry and her emotions)
Bowser=Bowser Jr. (complete with the paintbrush)
DK=Chunky
Diddy=Tiny
Yoshi=Birdo
Wario=Waluigi
Link=Wolf Link and or Midna
Zelda=Shiek
Toon Link=Young Link
Samus=Zamus
Popo and Nana still work together, but depending on the leader can change the moveset (not specials though)
Olimar=Louie
Pikachu=Pichu or Raichu
Lucario=Mewtwo
Marth=Roy
Sonic=Shadow

Thats all I have right now. I don't want to hear anyone say that this idea is unlikely or impossible becuase I really don't care. Some of you guys destroy other people's dreams with your sledge hammers of truth, facts, and opinions. :ohwell:
I respect your opinions and dreams, but there really s no point of this at all. A lot of those characters are completely different characters anyway and wouldn't have a chance in hell as an Alt. costume. First of all, Zamus and Shiek aren't alt. costumes, they're completely different characters that relate to each other. Things like FLUDD Mario? Basically what we have right now. Bowser Jr.? Why not a separate character? Mewtwo? He's completely different from Lucario. Wario and Waluigi... serously? Wario already has an alternate costume and Waluigi looks and acts completely different from him, he also doesn't use any of Wario's moves. And finally, YOSHI and BIRDO? WTF? They never even starred in the same canon game, Birdo isn't even a Yoshi character. I could complain about all the others but I'll stop here.

Don't expect ALL the characters to get an alt. costume, maybe just a few. We only had one in Brawl. Also, for them to be an alternate costume, they shouldn't be a completely different character like Wario/Waluigi, Lucario/Mewtwo, and definitely Yoshi/Birdo. They should be the same character with a few differences like Mario/Dr. Mario, Samus/Original Suit Samus (or a newer suit), and things like that. Things like Dry Bowser don't really seem possible either, because that is a whole different model, and while you might argue that Original Suit Samus and Dr. Mario are too, Dry Bowser is much more drastic and would be one of the last things on Sakurai's to do list.

Those are my thoughts on that subject, sorry for ruining your opinions and dreams with my sledge-hammer of truth. :(

Zario777

Smash Apprentice
Sorry to crush your sledge hammer of truth with my wrecking ball of correction, but I said character not costume. My idea was by pressing R (gamecube controls) you would swithc to an alternate character to that original character (pressing R on Mario will change to Fludd Mario with all of his own costume colors) Thats what I meant =P

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
What I want to know is just what requirements does a character needs to meet in order to be playable?
This is straight from the horse's mouth (with some added commentary)

1)The character's inclusion must make people want to play the game.

This can mean a lot of things. It mainly means that the character needs to be a character that people want and one that people would want to try. It could also mean character people want to see (popularity). In reverse, it could mean avoiding what characters people don't want to see (like Tingle).

2)The character must be unique.

Basically, the character must have features and abilities that make themselves unique or stand out from the crowd. So, Louie would be a bad choice as he doesn't differentiate himself from Olimar.

3)The character must fit into the style of Super Smash Bros.

Basically, character has to work and make scene. So, characters like Epona are no nos.

4)They must contribute to the game balance.

This one is obvious. Inb4 Metaknight

@Fatmanonice: I'm not going to respond to every little thing. I will mention the big things.
1. He mentioned it in the post E3 06 notes (AKA Sakurai's journal) and, igi, for example. Ignoring their roles within their respective franchise and their appearance (which isn't too different in this case), what really sets them apart? How Fox, Falco, and Wolf? Link and Toon Link? As I said before, Dr. Mario is the only anti-thesis to this and he's no longer part of the playable franchwhen you think about it, it makes sense. Take Mario and Luise anyways.
Dr. Mario was planned to be in Brawl.

Also, no one buys games for "personality." Sakurai knows this.

2. I agree with that but I was just saying that the characters that he mentioned weren't that bizarre when it came to adjusting them to Smash. As I've said in the past, you can lead Epona to the roster, but you can't make it practical. :laugh:
:laugh:
3. I disagree, I do believe that Sakurai believes that simply putting certain characters in as cameos makes them happy. For example, on the Dojo, he acknowledges that Waluigi, Samurai Goroh, and Little Macyl were very popular but he made them into ATs. If you go through the list of all the characters mentioned in "Sakurai's journal", you will find (aside from the third party characters obvious) that a vast majority of the characters are in Brawl but as cameos. The quote that ToiseofChoice posted can't really be interpreted any other way as his wording is no where as vague as what he says about characters usually are.
The problem is there are two ways to ascribe it(think that's the right word). Look

He basically said "If I can add a character, even if it's not playable, then fans will still be happy."

You see it as Sakurai is being a knave. As if he's using it as an excuse.
I see it as Sakurai being apologetic. He saying that he can't add everyone, so he hopes to "make due."

I believe it's the later because Sakurai isn't not a knave. He wants people to enjoy his games. You see his attitude in other Nintendo employees (all of Nintendo's second parties share Nintendo philosophy. This is why Nintendo bought up Monolith). Also, the topic is always on playable characters. People focus on these more then static characters. Sakurai knows this. His goal would be to try and get all the characters people want. Not add what he wants. (Big note here: Games sell and developers are successful when they think about the user and NOT themselves. Miyamoto has pioneered this).
4. People were clamoring for Pit... in North America. Enormous difference. In 2005, Nsider did a poll asking people who they wanted to see most in the next Smash Bros. The results, oddly enough ended up being:
1. Wario
2. Toad
3. Waluigi
4. Hammer Bros
5. Olimar

Despite not even placing, I remember people talking about him alot... on North American forums. Sakurai does not care that much about the opinions outside Japan. Shocking, yes but it's something that needs to be known in order to view future character choices with the right mindset. That's right, the rosters everyone has been posting since 2005 don't mean Jack. The only thing he's ever said concerning territories outside of Japan is that he doesn't want to add too many Japanese exclusive characters as not to appear biased. That's pretty much it. The only contact he's ever had with the North American fans is the letter he sent to Nsider asking people how they felt about the trailer and the addition of Metaknight, Wario, Snake, ZSS, and Pit.

Pit was in the Melee poll but he had even less votes than the Ice Climbers and yet he still made it into Smash which kinds of turns the "popularity geats characters in" theory on its head. ROB is an anti-thesis to this. Mr. Game and Watch is an anti-thesis to this. Pokemon Trainer is an anti-thesis to this. The fact that the majority of new characters in Brawl were essentially "left overs" from Melee attests to this. The fact that, again, a giant chunk of the characters mentioned in Sakurai's journal were mere cmeos including some of the most popular like Ridley, Waluigi, Lyn (who was argueably more popular than Ike), Little Mac, and Krystal acts as an anti-thesis too.
Bold is contradicting. The idea was fans have been clamoring for his return. And yes, they were. Sakurai said he probably wouldn't have added Pit. It was Western fans that got him in. Sakurai said this himself. No need to really reply to the rest.

Well, except the underline. Remember that Sakurai does not just add characters because they are popular. He said that adding only popular characters is not interesting. This also means he's looking at popularity.

Also, if you were here when Brawl was released, you'd know that many people weren't satisfied with the roster.
People are never satisfied. Welcome to the internet.
1. Have you ever thought of WHY certain characters are popular? I'll tell you why, it's most often because they are interesting and unique. (Holy crap, who divided by zero?!?) For example, look at Geno; he's a possessed wooden doll that has the artillery of a small army which are equipped in compartments in his hands, wrists, and even elbows. I can't say there are many characters like that in gaming, can you? Now look at characters within their own franchises and this makes even more sense. For example, in the Kirby franchise, who are more noteworthy than Metaknight (a miniature knight who follows a strict code of chivalry and has a giant aircraft in his likeness) and King Dedede (an obese eagle who weilds a giant hammer)? Why did people in North America want Pit so much despite probably 98% of the people who wanted him never playing Kid Icarus or Of Myths and Monsters? Because he was interesting and unique and this can be said for pretty much everyone in Smash Bros. As Sakurai is human (although some would argue a troll or god depending on who you speak to), it can be assumed that he can be interested in things too. As I have said before (yes, I say a lot of things, what of it?), Sakurai is a lot like Miyamoto in how he does what he wants but a majority of the time it lines up with the fans tastes.
Good point, but, again, not every character follows follows this.
2. Thinkaman was not the only person who attended Sakurai's conference at GDC 08. There were other people that reported on it and also proved that Thinkaman lied about some things like Sakurai playing with three controllers at once. He's the most known though because he told his story here despite adding some "artistic liberties." From what you've said, I get the feeling that this is the only side of the story you're aware of .
No. Again, my reason for thinking it was a misstype was 2005 never added up. Which means I must have seen them yes? I have that thread bookmarked is all. Most of Thinkman's stuff is inline with what others wrote. I not going to buy anything until I see it.

Time has a funny way of changing people, Sakurai basically started Brawl thinking "God, I don't want to make this game" and after Brawl was finished thought "God, I can't wait to make the next game." :laugh: Granted, he's currently working on a big project with Nintendo that's not related to Smash Bros but, when the game is supposedly released in 2011, I wouldn't be surprized in the least if his sights turned to SSB4.
Which will be awesome

Let's hope:laugh:

From what we have, it's like what me, Spydr, and Toise have been saying:

Sakurai's interest > uniqueness >>> popularity
This is kind of going backwards, but there are two distinct problems with both

First, you have mentioned Sakurai's journal before. But we don't know the poll's results. Just what Sakurai commented to. If you were right, and Sakurai added characters he found interesting, then what were none of the characters he mentioned we not playable and the others were. If these characters were that interesting, why did he go with the lesser interesting characters?

Also, unqiueness doesn't fly as 1)Any character can be unique and 2)he picked a lot of not so unique ones.Lucas, Wolf and Toon Link are very close to their original characters. With such an outcry against clones from Melee, why go back to it. And if Sakurai wanted these characters characters to be unique, then why did the borrow from other characters (we all know Toon Link could have been original).

Your good at countering my arguments, but not good at making your own. The problem with your claim is you found a source and then looked for the evidence to support a claim. Nothing lead you to the claim. You just decided it existed and tried to look for something to back it up. My argument is based solely on evidence. I thought 2005 was wrong because the evidence pointed elsewhere.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Sorry to crush your sledge hammer of truth with my wrecking ball of correction, but I said character not costume. My idea was by pressing R (gamecube controls) you would swithc to an alternate character to that original character (pressing R on Mario will change to Fludd Mario with all of his own costume colors) Thats what I meant =P
:laugh: Well jeez! I guess a wrecking ball beats a sledge hammer... All I'm saying is, character, costume, or pizza, it would be better to just give those characters (some of them) a playable slot all on their own, there's really no point in making a lot of those characters separate characters but sharing the same slot as another.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
:laugh: Well jeez! I guess a wrecking ball beats a sledge hammer... All I'm saying is, character, costume, or pizza, it would be better to just give those characters (some of them) a playable slot all on their own, there's really no point in making a lot of those characters separate characters but sharing the same slot as another.
True, because if Sakurai had done that, Brawl would have ended up like Marvel Vs. Capcom with Gold War Machine and Evil Chun Li.

Also, what is everyone's thought on an Art Style stage in SSB4? Do not ask me how it would look, just something that crossed my mind.

Neckbeard Torterra

Smash Journeyman
The character select screen is going to be bananas.
And compact. (I cant even comprehend a smaller version of ssbb)
They might just have to list the franchises to choose from, then a drop down menu. Or perhaps they'll get rid of the character portraits or go Capcom by centering the roster down the middle of the screen (horizontal or vertical as long as the portraits come out from the 4 corners of the screen).

:O

Clownbot

Smash Lord
They might just have to list the franchises to choose from, then a drop down menu. Or perhaps they'll get rid of the character portraits or go Capcom by centering the roster down the middle of the screen (horizontal or vertical as long as the portraits come out from the 4 corners of the screen).

I don't want to get nitpicky on something as little as the CSS format, but this doesn't sound like the best idea to me. At most, there will probably be 50 slots on the screen (excluding transformations), which seems like enough to put in the same format as usual.

EDIT: I just noticed this after perusing a few other recent posts.

3)The character must fit into the style of Super Smash Bros.
I don't want to sound biased, but I don't necessarily like the idea of this reason. First of all, could you be so kind as to explain what "the "style" of Smash Bros." is?

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace

Meh, not necessarily. It really isn't going to be that hard, you are probably expecting too much characters. Like Clownbot said, expect 50 AT MOST, which will be pretty easy. 10 x 5 screen with no random box wouldn't be too much. And the player boxes (the ones that show the character the player has chosen at the bottom of the screen) can be reduced as well, and there is room for horizontal expansion.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I don't want to sound biased, but I don't necessarily like the idea of this reason. First of all, could you be so kind as to explain what "the "style" of Smash Bros." is?
Well, Smash Bros. is a lot of things, but let's see what it isn't:

1) Full of realistic firearms: However, we've got blasters, missiles, grenades, bombs of all sorts, and mines (although they were censored a bit).

2) Excessively violent or gory: There's no blood, and the combat is cartoony at best.

3) Sexed up: Our females are fully clothed and quite modest (and then there's Zero Suit Samus). The Pokemon are still mostly naked, though.

That's the way I see it, anyhow.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
@Fatmanonice: I'm not going to respond to every little thing. I will mention the big things.
1.Dr. Mario was planned to be in Brawl.

2. Also, no one buys games for "personality." Sakurai knows this.

3.The problem is there are two ways to ascribe it(think that's the right word). Look

He basically said "If I can add a character, even if it's not playable, then fans will still be happy."

You see it as Sakurai is being a knave. As if he's using it as an excuse.
I see it as Sakurai being apologetic. He saying that he can't add everyone, so he hopes to "make due."

I believe it's the later because Sakurai isn't not a knave. He wants people to enjoy his games. You see his attitude in other Nintendo employees (all of Nintendo's second parties share Nintendo philosophy. This is why Nintendo bought up Monolith). Also, the topic is always on playable characters. People focus on these more then static characters. Sakurai knows this. His goal would be to try and get all the characters people want. Not add what he wants. (Big note here: Games sell and developers are successful when they think about the user and NOT themselves. Miyamoto has pioneered this).

4.Bold is contradicting. The idea was fans have been clamoring for his return. And yes, they were. Sakurai said he probably wouldn't have added Pit. It was Western fans that got him in. Sakurai said this himself. No need to really reply to the rest.

5. Well, except the underline. Remember that Sakurai does not just add characters because they are popular. He said that adding only popular characters is not interesting. This also means he's looking at popularity.

6. People are never satisfied. Welcome to the internet.

7.No. Again, my reason for thinking it was a misstype was 2005 never added up. Which means I must have seen them yes? I have that thread bookmarked is all. Most of Thinkman's stuff is inline with what others wrote. I not going to buy anything until I see it.

This is kind of going backwards, but there are two distinct problems with both

8. First, you have mentioned Sakurai's journal before. But we don't know the poll's results. Just what Sakurai commented to. If you were right, and Sakurai added characters he found interesting, then what were none of the characters he mentioned we not playable and the others were. If these characters were that interesting, why did he go with the lesser interesting characters?

9.Also, unqiueness doesn't fly as 1)Any character can be unique and 2)he picked a lot of not so unique ones.Lucas, Wolf and Toon Link are very close to their original characters. With such an outcry against clones from Melee, why go back to it. And if Sakurai wanted these characters characters to be unique, then why did the borrow from other characters (we all know Toon Link could have been original).

10.Your good at countering my arguments, but not good at making your own. The problem with your claim is you found a source and then looked for the evidence to support a claim. Nothing lead you to the claim. You just decided it existed and tried to look for something to back it up. My argument is based solely on evidence. I thought 2005 was wrong because the evidence pointed elsewhere.
1. And was removed. The point still stands. I kind of have a theory that Dr. Mario was "folded" into Mario because Mario does have some of Dr. Mario's Melee traits.

2. True on its own but I don't think Smash Bros would be near as popular if it consisted of minor enemies and people like Toad. Again, bringing something new to Smash.

3. Sakurai's not a knave in the least (interesting choice of words, by the way), he simply knows that, no matter what he does, people will still buy his games. He's not bad for doing that because his wants usually align with what people like and people usually just deal with the stuff they don't like. Like I said in another post, he's like Miyamoto in that regard. Think about the Wind Waker; people were cutting their wrists and trying to build bombs in their garage when the art style was revealed but it still ended up being one of the top 5 best selling titles for the console. Super Mario Sunshine and Twilight Princess were very similar in that regard, there were things in the game that people didn't like but they still bought them and liked them regardless.

Look at Melee, nearly 1/3 of the cast was clones but it was still the best selling game for the console. Look at Brawl, crappy wifi, a lot of dumb extras, a mediocre adventure mode, and some characters choices that initially made people want to gnaw off their own arms but it's still in the top five best selling games for the Wii and sold more in six months than Melee did in its entire life span. This forum is a standing testement to how people still like the game despite it flaws even after a year and half. As he said, he somewhat caters to the fans (like with wifi when he said it'd be very hard to do with the Wii) but they do not control what he does with his games. Basically, he puts it into consideration but he's still judge and jury when it comes to whether he thinks a character is worthy or not. If popularity helps because it lets him know that the person even exists because, to be a expected, he's probably not familar with all the franchises and big games like some of us are.

Also, the reason I'm comparing Miyamoto and Sakurai is because comparing him to someone from an entirely different companry like Inafune (which I could have) would have detracked from the arguement if anything.

4. Sakurai doesn't really have any connections with North American fans. Both polls that have been done so far were both done in Japanese exclusively and entries that weren't in Japanese were pretty much thrown out. Basically, you had to use something like Babelfish to even have your opinions heard. He can speak and read English but it is very doubtful that a busy man like himself would spend his time searching through North American forums. Again, the only thing we have is a short letter he wrote to Nsider after E3 06 asking about the five new people that were shown in the E3 06 trailer.

5. He looks at it but it's not the most important factor. As said, the person has to go through his "screening process". It's not like "this guy's popular, I'll add him", it's more like "this guy's popular, why should I add him."

6. I'm fully aware with that but I think Brawl crushed most people's expectations, even more so than Melee. It's not a bad game in the least, it's just that we hyped it to be the end-all of Nintendo games. The point is that people looked at the poll (including myself) too much to determine who was going to become playable. Most people expected 50 characters, we got 39. People expected there to be at least one more third party character after Sonic but there wasn't. We expected the Wifi to be comparable to something like on Xbox Live, we got wifi that's barely passable despite probably 1/4 of the time being spent just on that. The SSE originally looked epic but was kind of mediocre in the end despite them spending nearly 60% of the development time on it. The point is, Brawl would have looked a whole lot different if Sakurai's goal was to go along with what the fans wanted.

7. Why doesn't it add up? Sakurai said himself one of the first things he did when the development building was finished was go back to HAL Labortories and get all the character data from Melee to build off of that. Considering a majority of Brawl's development focused on the SSE and online play, it makes a lot of sense that the characters were the first things they got out of the way and Sakurai obviously didn't waste any time making those his first priority when SORA was finally done and he had a solid development team to work with. Basically, from what we have from interviews, the time line kind of looks like this in terms of focus:

E3 05--> Iwata asks Sakurai to develop Brawl--> Sakurai decides the roster minus Sonic in the course of three days afterwords -->October 2005 ---> character development---> Sakurai gets all the Melee data from HAL-->January/February 2006---> focus shifts to SSE --> E3 06 --> Sakurai reveals origins of Brawl project after Brawl is revealed--> Nintendo World 06-->March 07-->Kojima reveals that Brawl is about 85% done and "feels like a finished project"--> E3 07 --> Reggies says that Brawl will be released in December 07--> focus shifts to online-->Nintendo World 07--> Demos are shown, Sonic is revealed and Brawl is delayed --> December 07--> IGN reveals delay is caused by complications with online play--> January 08--> Brawl is released in Japan--> GDC 08--> Sakurai reveals many details about Brawl's development

8. This actually adds more evidence to the roster being done early and fully programmed into the game before E3 06. Also, I've pretty much explained all the characters you asked about last time, who's left as uninteresting? Jigglypuff is a pest that won't go away and ROB was pretty much Sakurai's wild card.

9. The way that Toon Link, Wolf, and Lucas turned out was Sakurai's choice. As you said yourself, they have enough differences between their counterparts in Brawl to have original material but Sakurai didn't use it. Captain Falcon and Ganondorf are hardly alike but Sakurai made Ganondorf a clone (and then a semi-clone) anyways. They all still bring something new to Smash and follow most of the major and minor standards I've listed in other posts. (Just a recap: Sakurai's interest, uniqueness, popularity, playable in a canon game, having a leading role in at least one canon game, and able to fully and reasonably rep a franchise if they have). Like with Melee, they were probably done the way they were for the sake of efficency. Fox and Wolf are basically opposites with their personalities as are Lucas and Ness. Toon Link's radically different from Link solely based on age and graphic style. Again, something different even if in the long run its not that different/unique. In other words, they definately had the potential to be different, but Sakurai didn't go with it and that's the big key here.

10. And as I've pointed out, there's PLENTY of evidence suggesting that the roster was indeed decided in 2005, finished in early 2006. As I said earlier on, I think you're still hung up on the poll despite it being said by the man himself that the poll was pretty much a way to add cameos to at least please people with the satisfaction that their character requests weren't fully ignored (aside from the third party characters of course). Sakurai doesn't care about lists that people write in their school notebooks, he goes with what he wants and, lucky for us, we usually like it. Also, I'm not good at arguing? I really hope that wasn't an attempt at causing a STAB but you seem to be above that so I'll ignore that comment.

Clownbot

Smash Lord

1) Full of realistic firearms: However, we've got blasters, missiles, grenades, bombs of all sorts, and mines (although they were censored a bit).

2) Excessively violent or gory: There's no blood, and the combat is cartoony at best.

3) Sexed up: Our females are fully clothed and quite modest (and then there's Zero Suit Samus). The Pokemon are still mostly naked, though.

Snake's games contain mature content (albeit I've never played the MGS games, so I'm not entirely sure to what extent), yet he managed to get in without any blood or gore in the game.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Zero Suit Samus is modest. At least they didn't give her jiggle psyhics or cleavage. In a weird, almost body numbingly way, she's basically wearing the equivalent of long underwear, probably the unsexiest undergarments in the world.

I don't know about the rest of you but I definately feel more like laughing than being aroused when looking at this picture.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Snake's games contain mature content (albeit I've never played the MGS games, so I'm not entirely sure to what extent), yet he managed to get in without any blood or gore in the game.
I'm aware of that, but Snake (and other characters) uses a lot of firearms in his games, yet only uses explosives in Smash (because they're much tamer, apparently). I'm not sure how much in the way of blood/gore is present in MGS games, but since they're not especially known for that, I'm sure it's not too bad. In other words, Snake was pretty workable for Smash; his equipment in the game isn't too different from some stuff that other characters use, and stuff that would push him over the top (like guns) was conveniently able to be left out.

@Fatman: Yep, you've got that right.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
In my opinion any character can be adapted to Smash, even the ones from the bloody, gory games. All you need to do is give them abilities that they can use that are generally "smash acceptable", like mines or other explosives, and unrealistic firearms. But, these games obviously don't appeal to much to Sakurai and other developers, so I wouldn't say any other character besides Snake from games like this are very likely or necessary.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
I'm aware of that, but Snake (and other characters) uses a lot of firearms in his games, yet only uses explosives in Smash (because they're much tamer, apparently). I'm not sure how much in the way of blood/gore is present in MGS games, but since they're not especially known for that, I'm sure it's not too bad. In other words, Snake was pretty workable for Smash; his equipment in the game isn't too different from some stuff that other characters use, and stuff that would push him over the top (like guns) was conveniently able to be left out.
Yeah, Snake used guns and stuff in his games. I think Nintendo also utilized his character to avoid making a "Samus replicate". His explosives make him unique and interesting to play as. Although this is a little off topic, I think that Megaman's exclusion from Brawl may have had to do with the large amount of similarities (in terms of moveset) with Samus.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Yeah, Snake used guns and stuff in his games. I think Nintendo also utilized his character to avoid making a "Samus replicate". His explosives make him unique and interesting to play as. Although this is a little off topic, I think that Megaman's exclusion from Brawl may have had to do with the large amount of similarities (in terms of moveset) with Samus.
That may be, but I'm pretty sure the two have a lot of different moves, don't they? So he wouldn't be so much of a Samus clone as a character who resembles a blue, male Samus. But remember, Jigglypuff and Kirby look a lot alike, Link and Marth are a lot alike, so I don't think looking alike is a reason. It could aslo be that Sakurai just didn't care much for Megaman at the time. Don't worry though, by the time SSB4 comes around, you can expect Megaman. He'll get in the same way Sonic did: immense popularity.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Megaman's exclusion had nothing to do with that. Inafune, Capcom's president and Megaman's creator, said that he would love to have him in Brawl if he was contacted. However, it never happened because Sakurai never bothered to contact anyone.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
In regards to MM, the fact that we still have clones in Brawl pretty much debunks the theory that he wasn't in because of Samus....that and the Inafune thing that KumaOso just said. Plus, the only real thing that MM and Samus have in common is their charge beam, which is only one move. (Not to mention it could be worked out so that they still work differently.)

Zario777

Smash Apprentice
I don't see one bit of similarity between Wolf and Fox. Wolf's Blaster is different from Fox's Blaster because he puts it away between each use, and it has an attached claw; Fox doesn't put away his blaster to allow rapid use, and doesn't have anything attached. Wolf's Reflector is round, has countering capabilities at the start, doesn't stall him in midair, and it's red. Fox's Reflector is hexagonal, doesn't have countering capabilities, stalls him, and is blue. Wolf Flash goes diagonal which gives it vertical recovery and Fire Wolf doesn't hit at the start-up, and captures enemy's in the take-off. Fox Illusion goes horizontal and can hit opponents during Fire Fox's start-up, but then smacks enemies away.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I don't see one bit of similarity between Wolf and Fox. Wolf's Blaster is different from Fox's Blaster because he puts it away between each use, and it has an attached claw; Fox doesn't put away his blaster to allow rapid use, and doesn't have anything attached. Wolf's Reflector is round, has countering capabilities at the start, doesn't stall him in midair, and it's red. Fox's Reflector is hexagonal, doesn't have countering capabilities, stalls him, and is blue. Wolf Flash goes diagonal which gives it vertical recovery and Fire Wolf doesn't hit at the start-up, and captures enemy's in the take-off. Fox Illusion goes horizontal and can hit opponents during Fire Fox's start-up, but then smacks enemies away.
Wolf is to Fox what Luigi is to Mario, pretty much.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
In my opinion any character can be adapted to Smash, even the ones from the bloody, gory games. All you need to do is give them abilities that they can use that are generally "smash acceptable", like mines or other explosives, and unrealistic firearms. But, these games obviously don't appeal to much to Sakurai and other developers, so I wouldn't say any other character besides Snake from games like this are very likely or necessary.
This.

Or at least, this SHOULD be true, but with Sakurai...

Eh...

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Just a couple quick things on Roy:

- FE fans hate Roy as a fighter, not as a character, and even then it's just between when he hits level 20 and when you can promote him (even if that is a good chunk of the game).
- FE6 (Roy) outsold FE5 (Leaf), FE7 (Eliwood/Lyn/Hector), FE8 (Eirika/Ephraim), and FE9 (Ike) in Japan. FE10 (Micaiah) hasn't even sold half as well as FE6 and it's been out for almost 30 months.
- Sakurai doesn't care about clone status since Brawl had plenty and Roy himself was intended to come back.
- Roy being half of the Fire Emblem Welcome Wagon in Melee keeps him relevant and well known, even if anyone else could've done the same in his spot. He's a major part of FE history just for that. Plus, you know, being in Smash AND being the star of a game does mean more than just being the star of a game.

Anyway I'm not trying to suggest Roy will be back in SSB4, I'm pointing out how Sakurai isn't going to bother with any of the currently existing FE Lords. Any new guy from FE12 or later still definitely beats him, but Sigurd/Lyn/Micaiah/anyone else? No chance. There's no reason not to just go with Roy again if the option comes up.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@ Smashchu

Just because Tingle might be playable in SSB4 is not going to stop anyone from buying the game. There might (and most likely will) be several most-wanted newcomers and you think that people are going to pass the opportunity to play as Little Mac, King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Starfy, Krystal, an overrated 5th gen movie Pokemon, and a popular future FE Lord, and possibly Ridley and Mega Man just because Tingle is playable? Riiiiiiiight.

Look, I did not pass the opportunity to play as Olimar, Pit, Toon Link, Meta Knight, Lucas, Pokemon Trainer, Zero Suit Samus, Wolf, and R.O.B. just because I did not want Snake and Sonic. I bought the game because there were many other characters I wanted or thought they were interesting choices. The more I play Brawl, the more I appreciate the Brawl roster (and I still rarely touch Sonic and Snake).

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
@ Smashchu

Just because Tingle might be playable in SSB4 is not going to stop anyone from buying the game. There might (and most likely will) be several most-wanted newcomers and you think that people are going to pass the opportunity to play as Little Mac, King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Starfy, Krystal, an overrated 5th gen movie Pokemon, and a popular future FE Lord, and possibly Ridley and Mega Man just because Tingle is playable? Riiiiiiiight.

Look, I did not pass the opportunity to play as Olimar, Pit, Toon Link, Meta Knight, Lucas, Pokemon Trainer, Zero Suit Samus, Wolf, and R.O.B. just because I did not want Snake and Sonic. I bought the game because there were many other characters I wanted or thought they were interesting choices. The more I play Brawl, the more I appreciate the Brawl roster (and I still rarely touch Sonic and Snake).
Logically, more people hate him then like him. Would you piss off more users to please a few? People notice these kinds of things and will consider his inclusion a waste of space. They will be saddened that another character wasn't added.

One of the ways Smash has survived is because it has content everyone can enjoy. Smash is driven by it's content. Characters are a big part because they make a large chunk of the content. Tingle will feel like wasted content. To those players, it will feel as if the product isn't as nice. To them, it will lose some of it's value. This is step #1 to making current users distant users. This is why Rule #1 is to add character that people want to play as (again, this is why I feel the poll could not have happened in 2005. Sakurai didn't know how much people would like or hate the three new characters. Making people happy goes before "representation.")

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I don't think every pottential buyer in the America hates Tingle, and I don't think for those that do, that he is someone they won't buy a game over. That just seems insane really. Only someone very neurotic would actually stop themselves from buying a game, because one character they hate is in it. As I've said before, even if they do hate Tingle, and don't want to play as him, they can still beat him up, which is some of the appeal of those who hate Pokemon, yet still buy Smash games.

EDIT: And about FE sales, RD and SD both have sold more than FE6

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
SmashChu, seriously, no one isn't going to buy the game or completely loathe it if Tingle is in (except for a small few who really have issues). I really don't like Snake or Sonic, and I never liked Pichu or Dr. Mario in Melee, but I accepted the fact that they were in and instead of playing as them they served as my CPU punching bags when I had no one else to play as.

Don't bring bias into this, if you don't like Tingle, Sakurai doesn't really care. The fact is that Tingle is the most likely new Legend of Zelda character for SSB4. You just have to accept that. While no one really likes it, everyone has accepted it but you.

And Pieman is right about the Pokemon thing. While Pokemon has a HUGE fanbase, it still has a HUGE group of haters that play Smash, and buy the games anyway. I'm not a fan of Pokemon, I don't enjoy them, and I know most of my friends who have the game hate Pokemon with a passion, but they bought the game anyway.

n88

Smash Lord
Logically, more people have never heard of him than hate him or like him.
Fixed. You seem to think that everyone and their dog hates Tingle. Really, though, a lot of people don't know who he is. They don't really care wether he gets in or not. Your average Joe, upon unlocking Tingle, would laugh at him, and find him a funny caracter.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Considering the fact that Tingle is pretty popular in both Japan and Europe and he's becoming a franchise with four games, I would wager he's got good chances of becoming playable. I mean, really... two regions that love Tingle compared to one region that hates Tingle. Also, Tingle won't be "wasted content" like Dr. Mario and Pichu were and there is absolutely no way to please everyone. There will always be someone who will be saddened that another character wasn't added (even if we did get Ridley, Geno, and Mega Man).

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Hi, I'm back, everyone!

It's been a long time since I've been on this forum. I won't be on all that often, just so you know!

As for the Tingle discussion, I think the Zelda series already has enough reps, which is five, we won't need another.
Hey, I wondered where you went.

Anyway, I think that the Zelda series, Pokemon series and Mario series will each have five slots, they all had four in Brawl and they all got a new character (besides Mario, but thats only to balance the character slots). I'm sure we'll get a new Zelda character.

Also, careful about using the word "reps", it makes some people angry, for some, strange reason... :laugh:

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
Sakurai thinks so, so I'm inclined to agree with him. I think now that Spirit Tracks is set in another time to WindWaker/Phantom Hourglass we can forget about Toon Sheik/Tetra. Unless there IS a proper Toon Sheik in Spirit Tracks. Anyway on the topic of New Zelda characters: (gah images not working)

1. The mysterious 'Knight Helper' in Spirit Tracks. Provided he actually has a personality and character rather than being a mindless drone, I think a knight (not Meta) would be a really cool addition.

2. The Blue Girl in 'Zelda Wii'. Now if the rumours are true, and she is somehow the Master Sword this is unlikely as Link wields the Master Sword in all the Smash Bros. However if she is the Master Sword that gives her great importance to the series and may be a bonus.

Sorry about the images (or lack of images) but I think this would make an interesting discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom