• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Ew DLC for characters. I'd rather not want that to happen. Actually, have any fightng games had DLC characters?

And what is with those FD opitions? Just choose the stage simple as that.
Soul Calibur 4 did.

NO TO DLC!!!!
I want a complete game. When I go back to play it, I want to play the full game, not the part that I was able to get in time.

Why do people want DLC? I don't get it. It is like card games. Why waste all the money and time to get every bloody card. In the end, you may never have a complete game and in time, it will be impossible to have a complete game.

Lovely

Smash Lord
Why do people want DLC? I don't get it. It is like card games. Why waste all the money and time to get every bloody card. In the end, you may never have a complete game and in time, it will be impossible to have a complete game.
♣ Some people want the game to last longer, like some DLC can have more characters that would make the game last much longer, some DLC can have missing music for a game that needs to have more music in the game, some people want have more stages also another gameplay mode. Just about most of the games on 360 or PS3 have mostly DLC, and the Wii has less than five that has DLC. Like I said, if you want Smash to last longer, then you want DLC. ♥

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Real quick, on Tabuu:
I like the idea of being able to play as him, and I think he'd make a good character. However, I agree with Wizzard that he's not too popular nor is does Smash need to have representatives (proving the the "representative" line of thinking has gone too far).

It's a tricky subject. Either way could work. It is a matter of opinion and what Sakurai thinks.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Soul Calibur 4 did.

NO TO DLC!!!!
I want a complete game. When I go back to play it, I want to play the full game, not the part that I was able to get in time.

DLC does not have to be new characters necessarily. DLC can be stuff such as alternate characters (think Tekken 4 with Eddie as Christie's alt), new music, alternate costumes, new modes, new stages, and patches to help balance the game.

At the very least, Nintendo could do a rerelease of the game like Tekken 5 and 6 got and include all the new stuff on it. Or they can have expansion discs for sale like the Halo 2 Map Pack.

I used to be concerned about the future of Smash because I figured that they'd have to resort to mostly obscure franchise's for characters in the next game but, like after Melee, Nintendo's made a lot of good moves concerning it's franchises. Golden Sun is being brought back, Starfy is no longer a Japanese exclusive, Punch-Out's back, and Sin and Punishment is being brought back and all of these announcements were made shortly after a year that Brawl was released. If you ask me, these are the franchises that definately need character reps in the next game:

1. Golden Sun
2. the Legendary Starfy
3. Punch-Out
4. Sin and Punishment
5. Animal Crossing
6. Nintendo/Advance Wars
7. Custom Robo

As for third parties, the only new franchise I want to see is Megaman.
Puzzle League needs a character as well: Lip. Speaking of which, I hope sequels to it actually keep all the anime fairies in the English release.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What classic/oldschool Nintendo series do you guys think deserve representation? There are a lot of series to choose from, and it would be natural to add more, considering it's kind of a "tradition" in Smash now.
Takamaru without a doubt. He'd definately be a great character to bring back. I'm glad that he was in Captain Rainbow so that he was put back in the public's eye. Oh and not to mention that the main theme is freakishly awesome and would sound great orchestrated:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5EKqi9uGcM

Thethirdbrother

Smash Rookie
Ew DLC for characters. I'd rather not want that to happen. Actually, have any fightng games had DLC characters?

And what is with those FD opitions? Just choose the stage simple as that.
"Those FD options" are for playing online multiplayer. I'm sure I'm not the only one sick of people picking stupid levels. (electroplankton/ iceberg/ Rumble Falls)

Last time I checked, it wasn't simple as that... It was a vote... or random of the stages selected or something...

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
KumaOso said:
Puzzle League needs a character as well: Lip. Speaking of which, I hope sequels to it actually keep all the anime fairies in the English release.
I agree. Lip is a good option to represent Nintendo's puzzler series.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
"Those FD options" are for playing online multiplayer. I'm sure I'm not the only one sick of people picking stupid levels. (electroplankton/ iceberg/ Rumble Falls)

Last time I checked, it wasn't simple as that... It was a vote... or random of the stages selected or something...
Just play only with people who pick FD then. And it should stay as simple as a vote, since its not fair for one person to have the only say.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
For the topic of classic/retro representation in Smash 4, does anybody think Mach Rider should get a rep or should the game go without a playable rep in SSB4 (as to let Wario keep his uniqueness in his Wario Bike)?
Mach Rider would be awesome. So would Takamaru, Balloon Fighter, Sukapon, Lip, and Bubbles imo, so it's kind of up in the air, I guess.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
♣ Some people want the game to last longer, like some DLC can have more characters that would make the game last much longer, some DLC can have missing music for a game that needs to have more music in the game, some people want have more stages also another gameplay mode. Just about most of the games on 360 or PS3 have mostly DLC, and the Wii has less than five that has DLC. Like I said, if you want Smash to last longer, then you want DLC. ♥
Good games last long enough.
One reason why I refuse to buy a PS3 or Xbox 360 is because of DLC. It makes incomplete games, kills the second hand market, makes retro gaming fade and all at the expense of "I'm bored and cannot make my own fun out of this game."

Some forms of DLC is valid. Patching bugs, fixing balancing issues and the occasional new content is fine. But what DLC is being used for now is just wrong and lazy.

Another thing is completion. IF a game comes out now, in 5 to 7 years, is that extra content still going to be available? I know of 20 wii games I want to buy. that number raises every 4 months. If all 20 games had DLC, I may get to some of them until the bargain bin holds them. Will the DLC still be available after that long time? Will I be able to acually play as Darth Vader on the Xbox when the next system is out and Namco is moving onto SC6?

DLC does not have to be new characters necessarily. DLC can be stuff such as alternate characters (think Tekken 4 with Eddie as Christie's alt), new music, alternate costumes, new modes, new stages, and patches to help balance the game.

At the very least, Nintendo could do a rerelease of the game like Tekken 5 and 6 got and include all the new stuff on it. Or they can have expansion discs for sale like the Halo 2 Map Pack.
The way I see it, all the extra alt costumes and stuff would have been in the game originally (Tekken like you said and DOA) if there is no DLC. now with DLC, companies can cut producing all the extra content, give a barebones product and force you to buy all the extras that should have been there to begin with.

I have no problems with DLC if a disc option or a method to get everything (IE physical copy). I dislike the idea of Download only games for the reason that companies can restrict the hell out of what you do. DLC works the same way.

I see it as a way to limit the gamers freedom. Yes we get more stuff, and more stuff is cool, but we are sacrificing gaming rights for another 10 minutes of extra content.

that is my opinion on it.
Back onto topic.

With the release of Captain Rainbow, I think almost all of the characters used lost their chance of being playable (except lil mac. The new punch out saved him.) Tha game just took the piss out of them and turned them into joke characters who are perfect for AT status.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
No, not really. Captain Rainbow was a commercial failure. Maybe the people who played Captain Rainbow think so, but that's only 0.01 million people in Japan. (Source)

Lip for SSB4!

Mario the Jumpman

Smash Ace
For Mach Rider in Smash 4, maybe Nintendo could do to M. R. similar to what they did to Captain Falcon. They could give the mechanical biker some guns, his motorcycle, and some lightning-fast hand-to-hand attacks. I don't really have any ideas for his FS, but maybe Mach Rider could split into two with one copy being comouter-controlled, or have him summon a helicopter to attck his enemies. I don't know, I couldn't come up with something better than that.

phatcat203

Smash Apprentice
Well, I like the idea of DLC, personally. Not as an excuse to make the game barebones, but it would eliminate the need for a SSB5; as they come out with new characters, stages, or items, you can just download them off of WiiWare instead of having to go buy an entirely new game. That is, of course, if Nintendo decides to be sensible, and doesn't charge out the *** like Sony and Microsoft for it.

n88

Smash Lord
For Mach Rider in Smash 4, maybe Nintendo could do to M. R. similar to what they did to Captain Falcon. They could give the mechanical biker some guns, his motorcycle, and some lightning-fast hand-to-hand attacks.
Captain Falcon has a motorcycle???!!!

I get what you're saying, but I think Mach Rider's chances have decreased as of late. He didn't even get a trophy in Brawl.

Mario the Jumpman

Smash Ace
To n88_2004: Guess I should have been more clear. I meant to say that C. Falcon was given hand-to-hand moves in the SSB series, the same can be for Mach Rider. And the racing bounty hunter never, to my knowledge at least, road a motorcycle.

And I kinda expected a response like the one Heartz made. The mechanical biker could be a "ripoff character."

Now for Smash 4, what about this guy as a playable character: Musketeer Daltania from Chosoju Mecha MG?

n88

Smash Lord
Why do you put your name over things you write? Just curious. I was joking about the motorcycle, but Mach Rider really does have almost zero chance.

There are too many other characters he has to compete with and Sakurai has said that he probably won't put more than 50 characters in a Smash game (I do not have a link to proof of this, go find someone who does). That leaves space for about 11 more characters in Smash, and I don't think Mach Rider makes the cut. Of course, I think Sakurai also said that Melee would be the last Smash game, so anything's possible.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
n88_2004 said:
There are too many other characters he has to compete with and Sakurai has said that he probably won't put more than 50 characters in a Smash game (I do not have a link to proof of this, go find someone who does). That leaves space for about 11 more characters in Smash, and I don't think Mach Rider makes the cut. Of course, I think Sakurai also said that Melee would be the last Smash game, so anything's possible.
I have no source either but I'm 99% sure that he said that once (it may have been 49). Also, Sakurai counts transformations as characters, so he probably meant 45/46 roster slots.

Mario the Jumpman

Smash Ace
Do you guys think that the Zelda franchise needs only the Triforce Three (Link, Zelda (who can transform into Sheik), and Ganondorf) in Smash 's playable roster and not need a fourth rep (mainly a Link clone)? Maybe Link could get a speed increase, eliminating the need for Toon Link (at least, as a clone).

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
Toon Link is not necessarily a clone. Sakurai just made him so, and his games are on a different timeline than other Zeldas. He is staying, and we also have Tingle as the best option for another rep- and Zelda is certainly big enough for another rep.

Mario the Jumpman

Smash Ace
Toon Link is not necessarily a clone. Sakurai just made him so, and his games are on a different timeline than other Zeldas. He is staying, and we also have Tingle as the best option for another rep- and Zelda is certainly big enough for another rep.
Can you explain how Toon Link is not a clone (and I mean in terms of play)?

Edit: I did not completely understand that quote. So you don't need to answer my above question.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Can you explain how Toon Link is not a clone (and I mean in terms of play)?
There is a lot of stuff available from the Cel-shaded games to give Toon Link a completely unique moveset. However, Sakurai and the others were far too lazy to give him one.

phatcat203

Smash Apprentice
Also, I see a completely new Toon link coming to SSB4, with a Spirit Tracks related moveset.

I'm hoping that this short post will actually make someone look at it, unlike my other two ideas.

Mario the Jumpman

Smash Ace
Which five characters of Brawl's roster do you guys think have the greatest chance of being removed? I think these characters are the ones that Nintendo might most likely remove (and I'm not saying that I want all these characters removed): Ike, Wolf, Lucario, Toon Link, and Lucas. Snake and Sonic have a chance of being removed as well, since they're third-party characters.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Also, I see a completely new Toon link coming to SSB4, with a Spirit Tracks related moveset.

I'm hoping that this short post will actually make someone look at it, unlike my other two ideas.
I doubt that Spirit Tracks will be the last cell shaded Zelda game before SSB4. Sakurai plans on releasing his current project in 2011 so, with any luck, the next SSB will probably be announced in 2012.

@ Jumpman:

So far, no characters in the starting roster have ever been removed so there's a very good chance that Ike and Lucas will stay. Lucario is inevitible if you ask be because he'll no doubt be replaced by one of the more popular anamorphic pokemon of the 5th generation. I honestly don't see Toon Link leaving simply because, technically, he's already been in two smash games and, so far, nobody who's been in at least two games has been removed yet.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Why do you put your name over things you write? Just curious. I was joking about the motorcycle, but Mach Rider really does have almost zero chance.

I have no source either but I'm 99% sure that he said that once (it may have been 49). Also, Sakurai counts transformations as characters, so he probably meant 45/46 roster slots.
No, you are misquoting him. I don't remember what he said, but it was something along the lines of "I won't make Smash just for new characters." I think he was refusing to making a game with over 50 characters. There is no number for the next Smash.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Which five characters of Brawl's roster do you guys think have the greatest chance of being removed? I think these characters are the ones that Nintendo might most likely remove (and I'm not saying that I want all these characters removed): Ike, Wolf, Lucario, Toon Link, and Lucas. Snake and Sonic have a chance of being removed as well, since they're third-party characters.
This may be more out of personal preference than logic, but...

Jigglypuff
Snake
R.O.B.
Lucario

and...

Mario.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
In the very unlikely chance that 5 characters are actually removed (remember they were mostly clones anyways) I'd say Wolf, Toon Link, Jiggs, Sonic and Snake all have the technical highest chances, though I doubt any will be removed. Wolf, TL, and Jiggs are quite clearly the last three added to Brawl, with two of them being clone-like, and one being a unremarkable Pokemon who's heyday has ended. Still, Wolf has more that sets him apart from Fox than Falco does, so I do think that he will stay, and as Toon Link has shown up in more games than adult Link, I think he should stay as well. As for Jiggs, I can't help but think that even she will cross over to SSB4, as she has been in all three games.

The third party characters probably won't also go, but I'd say they have a higher chance of not being included, due to legal reasons, as well as the fact that things could deteriorate between companies between now and whenever SSB4 shows up.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
In the very unlikely chance that 5 characters are actually removed (remember they were mostly clones anyways) I'd say Wolf, Toon Link, Jiggs, Sonic and Snake all have the technical highest chances, though I doubt any will be removed. Wolf, TL, and Jiggs are quite clearly the last three added to Brawl, with two of them being clone-like, and one being a unremarkable Pokemon who's heyday has ended. Still, Wolf has more that sets him apart from Fox than Falco does, so I do think that he will stay, and as Toon Link has shown up in more games than adult Link, I think he should stay as well. As for Jiggs, I can't help but think that even she will cross over to SSB4, as she has been in all three games.

The third party characters probably won't also go, but I'd say they have a higher chance of not being included, due to legal reasons, as well as the fact that things could deteriorate between companies between now and whenever SSB4 shows up.
I too think that Jiggs may be an exception to the "rule" I stated earlier. I think that Jigglypuff was put on the roster at the last minute just to bolster the cast. Even if you play the game casually, you can tell that not all that much thought went into Jigglypuff because she's laughably bad compared to the previous two installments. I honestly think they wanted to cut her but got cold feet.

Regarding third party, from what I know, Kojima and Sakurai are still best friends so Snake will probably stay in place and SEGA and Nintendo are now so buddy-buddy that I doubt Sonic's going anywhere. As for other characters, Inafune (Capcom's current president and the creator of Megaman) is the only third party developer that has gone right out and expressed interest in becoming involved with the series.

n88

Smash Lord
I've heard (again, no source) that Pit was originally in Smash 64, and Jiggs just replaced him because Pokemon was so popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom