• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic rFAQ! New to Sonic? Have a quick question? Ask it here!

Tenki

Smash Hero
lag-landing first hit U-air isn't safe on contact, is it?

forgot to test, lol.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
If you hit with only first hit off U-air (dropping right above them), it knocks them up just a little bit. You have enough time to put up a spring for them to punish an airdodge or counterattack. Also brings them up for U-air star KO

Tenki

Smash Hero
No, I'm asking if the hitstun is enough to keep your opponent from D-airing you, for example, after they get hit.

If anyone here can play right now, check it on a MK/Marth for me please?

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I don't think it does, but it does if you hit them sideways, it knocks them out quite far. MK should be able to hit it, Marth I don't know, but he still has an amazing amount of landing lag.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
If you could main jigglypuff, just keep that dedication, and then start reading all our guides.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Oh hey hold up though, how come you quit Jiggles? You seemed like you were good at it.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Try me, playing Sonic already defies a lot of things, like how he keeps Brawl a somewhat fast game.

infomon

Smash Scientist
How should I pick up Sonic if I just quit Jigglypuff?????
.... eat moar steak?

srsly tho holy crap I can't believe you're ditching Jiggs and considering Sonic lol. Sounds like a conspiracy joke or smthg lol.

Sonic takes a looooong time to not suck with, like Jiggs you really have to know every matchup to know when you can punish between their missed attacks; punishment characters, largely. Sonic's best asset (IMO) is his maneuvrability; you'll spend a long time mastering the side-B / down-B which add a lot of depth to your movement options around the stage. Sonic's dash is also strange and can be frustrating at times because it actually requires tech skill, otherwise it's kinda limiting because Sonic's too fast to easily control lol.

my 2 cents.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
www.Xat.com/BlueSteak

Go ahead and take your time to reply though, I'm jut kind of tired to do any reading if your answer is a detailed one.

Since you wanted to introduce yourself, why not visit the chatroom/the roll call thread... if you are maining/2nding Sonic now.

Forgive me, but it doesn't seem right that somebody is so eager to pick up Sonic who is a very hard character to even play half-decently, but I shouldn't be this way since you used to play Jiggles though. (I'm still curious though.)

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
But...but what about the Jiggs board anthem??

D:

10yourethebestarounds

:093:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Man, those were good times... sort of.

I also suggest that we have the first "It Doesn't Matter" as our anthem.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Someone screwed over my ruse of flipping out but I'm still gonna keep Sonic. Learning him should give you a great grasp over the game.

And my question is for his B-side, when are the best times to release it and what are some of the best mindgames that come out of it.

Tenki

Smash Hero
best times to release it?

When someone actually jumps an attack at you while you're charging it. If you time it well (think of powershielding), you can invincy-frame through attacks.

A better question would be more like, when would you use it?

When recovering, most people (who... aren't familiar with Sonic's recovery shenanigans) who want to edgeguard you will jump at you and space an attack either assuming you'll double jump or release the side-B right away. By holding the charge just a little longer, you'll fall a bit, possibly making them miss, while setting up a counter attack, or letting you spinshot through them.

As for 'mindgames', basically, side-B on the ground can be used when baiting spotdodges, rolls, and attacks from pressured opponents. Usually, you use it when you're in close range:

- If you B-reverse when running towards someone, the extra twitch can force a defensive move.
- If you charge facing the opposite direction, you can sometimes catch the opponent if you 'back roll' towards them (weird, I know. It's unsafe, but it's fun to do once in a while >__>)
- If you charge a side-B near someone and they try to jump an aerial on you or something of that nature, you can just shield cancel the attack then either aerial OoS or grab, etc.
- On grabby people, you can release a side-B on/towards their shield, and either jump or spring away and counterattack.

._.;

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
no.

just a gauranteed f tilt.

which is good, cause.
1. it can kill at about 160 or so, and
2. if teh lucas isnt paying attention, you can regrab him after the f tilt

you can also air grab release lucas into a CG

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I think he means the thing on the right of which board your on. Its gonna stay Jigglypuff for like another 800 posts in 1 character board.
I'm not really sure if the small icon is just which board you're on most, but I just have it for the love of God Sonic Steak.

you can also air grab release lucas into a CG
Doesn't Lucas' 2nd jump have to be gone in order for that to work?

I'm trying to get this grab-release shizz down, and nobody here in Vegas plays Ness (or anymore AFAIK).

SS, it probably could spike, but the odds of that happeneing are low, and if you're talking about the first hit spike, it doesn't really do much because of its set knockback.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
Hit with first part of upair
They get sent down
You grab the edge
They try to recover
profit?

The second hit spikes for sure if you're under them and you're both at least part way under the ledge. I has vid evidence in the form of an uber bad vs matchlol

Sagen du Smash

Smash Journeyman
K I'm asking my questions here now. PLEASE dont report me!

Whats the best use of Dsmash with Sonic, as I almost never seem to hit with it. How do you connect with it consistently?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Use it on somebody who is roll/spotdodge happy, or if your forward smash is decayed (which it shouldnt).

Using it on the ledge can be quite deceptive, as the range can be distorted, not to mention after it's charge-up, the release is quite fast, kind of like MK's FSmash.

Vaul

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure this has been addressed a thousand times, but I can't find it, and hopefully someone can enlighten me here.

Sonic can't 'hug' the ledge like the rest of the cast, i.e. run off and quickly slam the control stick toward the ledge. But I know/I've heard he has a substitute for this, or at least his own technical way of doing so.

So yea...how does Sonic hug the ledge?????

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
I'm sure this has been addressed a thousand times, but I can't find it, and hopefully someone can enlighten me here.

Sonic can't 'hug' the ledge like the rest of the cast, i.e. run off and quickly slam the control stick toward the ledge. But I know/I've heard he has a substitute for this, or at least his own technical way of doing so.

So yea...how does Sonic hug the ledge?????
fast fall immediately after leaving the ledge. This takes some practice.

:093:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
That is with your tap-jump off, right Infzy?

Because I have mine set to on, and how I do it is just run off the stage, FF, and then right after do a quarter-circle movement on the D-Pad towards the ledge like you were doing a Hadukon in SF. If I do anything that is up, it would take my jump.

Top Bottom