• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic rFAQ! New to Sonic? Have a quick question? Ask it here!

B_AWAL

Smash Master
So I won a tournament 2 Saturdays ago.... After every victory I yelled STEAK!!!!!!!!!!

I'm jus letting u guys kno I'm doin my best to do my part w/ Sonic. Ur turns!!!

Jus outta curiosity, Sonic is the king of tech chasing!!! But nobody does that wit him...

Tenki

Smash Hero
I haven't followed up on you, but if you haven't already, you should probably post results in the tournament results thread.

Plus who techs in brawl? lol
XD the low hitstun always makes everyone airdodge before they land.

thouuuughhhh teching is lolmindgames.

People always think you're going to airdodge or attack into the floor, and it's so lols on Sonic when you tech the floor instead, and they miss their grab.

also, lol cam
vvv

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
So I won a tournament 2 Saturdays ago.... After every victory I yelled STEAK!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats, you should post your results (in the proper format) to the tourney results thread.

Jus outta curiosity, Sonic is the king of tech chasing!!! But nobody does that wit him...
lol?

Sonic's preach all the time about Sonic's tech chasing XD

Where have you been mah boi?

:093:

Tenki

Smash Hero
Is your issue not being able to hit the button in time, or is it that the hitstun makes you airdodge instead of tech? lol

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Hit stuns...... I mean when I REALLY try I can tech but it's like... why bother? Brawl is floaty enough they can intercept you before you even land. The only thing I typically make sure to tech anymore is Sonic's Dthrow.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
I was told that you guys were bothered by Xiivi and I thought you might be intrested in this. so here is my questoin?

Would you like to join a social group to discuss openly the problems of SWF moderation and the way it is run as well as come up with solutions? We may not be powerful but our weapon is public opinion so the more we have the better we become.

This group was formed today the link is. http://www.smashboards.com/group.php?groupid=821

Link mains have had similar problems and I'm advertising this where I think people may be interested and will check. Spread the word

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
We're alright actually, we have a mod who is legit cool.

While the moderation could be better, he does his thing, and s'all good.

Now that that is taken care of, time to reply to a quote.

But before I do, I hope Chains is a less flaming person in-person than he is online, or KC isn't going to make it out of that tourney alive.

I do not enjoy a hedgehog-grilled Steak, that's no good.

If I did that here in Vegas, nobody would have a clue WTH I would be referring to.

I mindgame chase, my tech skill does need work.

I'm working my way to the top, I'll let you know how exactly that's gonig shortly in another thread.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Really, your lucky then. We never had a mod to look out for us. Still, its open for suggestions and stuff.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Yeah, all you gotta do is just get a mod who is pretty laid back but still stern when needs to be.

I'm pretty sure that's what you guys got Deva for on AiB.

Boards kind of need their own mods, if they could supply the man-power for that, then that would be tight.

Also now that I have the chance to post this, I need to know something.

So I've jab-locked a Bowser in the tourney today a couple of times.

Why is it that he got out of range of my jab, and then I had to use another attack that wasn't a jab to discontinue the lock? Is it possible that DI can save you and I never knew this, or was I not doing something right?

Also is my timing off, or can't Sonic FSmash people out of a jab-lock? The Bowser always managed to PS my FSmash if he was in range. I would think I'm not doing something right since a shield does take like 3-7 frames to come up, right?

Help would be appreciated, when my opponents are crazy enough to take me to Weegee's and I have to play gay.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
Congrats, you should post your results (in the proper format) to the tourney results thread.

lol?

Sonic's preach all the time about Sonic's tech chasing XD

Where have you been mah boi?

Sorry, been out of the loop. I DJ and go 2 skoo so I only check the boards like once every 3 days. Alhough I need to check up on this thread more often. I'm not sure wut SD means but that jabb lock that Teh great Tenki speaks of sound interesting.

I'm currently back reading the thread. 'm pretty sure It'll allow me to figure out wether I should change up some things or not...

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
So I've jab-locked a Bowser in the tourney today a couple of times.

Why is it that he got out of range of my jab, and then I had to use another attack that wasn't a jab to discontinue the lock? Is it possible that DI can save you and I never knew this, or was I not doing something right?

1. you can SDI out of the jab lock
2. you can keep the jab lock going if you walk farther forward in between jabs

Also is my timing off, or can't Sonic FSmash people out of a jab-lock? The Bowser always managed to PS my FSmash if he was in range. I would think I'm not doing something right since a shield does take like 3-7 frames to come up, right?

shield is supposed to come up on frame 1.
just release the fsmash earlier

Help would be appreciated, when my opponents are crazy enough to take me to Weegee's and I have to play gay.
i had teh same problems dont worry about it.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Actually I think shield comes out on frame 2, because even with buffering, there's 1 frame where the shield is input, and the next frame is when it comes out lol. I could be wrong tho.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Although SD more commonly refers to self-destruct (ie. when you kill yourself, like by accident lol).... Sonics use SD to mean Spin Dash, which is what we call our side-B (down-B is Spin Charge).

For setting up a jab lock, side-B onto their head and footstool them :)

B_AWAL

Smash Master
Although SD more commonly refers to self-destruct (ie. when you kill yourself, like by accident lol).... Sonics use SD to mean Spin Dash, which is what we call our side-B (down-B is Spin Charge).

For setting up a jab lock, side-B onto their head and footstool them :)
U kno, I feel so Fing ********.... The last time I was on this thread, I swear people were saying sideB and DownB :-/ O well. SD and SC is alot easier. Now that U mention it. SD to footstool DOES happen alot..

infomon

Smash Scientist
lol, even though most of us hardcore Sonicboarders are very familiar with our own acronyms, we still usually just call them down-B / side-B because there's no room for confusion that way. So no worries :)

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I have no idea what Infzy was saying when he mentioned something about some silly little crystal jump thingy on BF nobody will EVER use.

What was the full acronym Infzy?

infomon

Smash Scientist
Oh no lol... you should know better than to bring up the elusive SBFCJASCDRT.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again........ SHFFBRSDSC: shorthop fastfall b-reverse spindash (side-B) shield-cancel.

Or maybe........ the previously-mislabelled SBFCJASCDRT!
Waaaaah, I've re-discovered soooo many strange details of Sonic's moveset this week... but there's no fighting it. Tenki knows everything. :laugh:

EXCEPT FOR THIS!

Sonic's Battlefield Crystal-Jump ASC Dive Recovery Tech! (SBCJASCDRT)
Hop off the side of battlefield and ASC inwards toward the pointy crystal at the bottom... just as you pass it, jump-cancel the ASC in position so that you can wall-jump off the opposite side of the crystal from where you started... from there you can follow it with an Fair (cuz it looks cool) but inevitably Spring > (wall-jump if you want) > recover on the opposite side of battlefield.

It looks so cool. It's ridiculously dangerous; the spacing required for that jump-cancel is absurd. It's totally unnecessary since you'd be better off just ASC'ing (or even just SD'ing), jump-cancelling under the opposite side of battlefield, and then springing, but it's way cooler to wall-jump off the opposite side of the crystal... but most importantly..... Tenki didn't know you could do this... if only because he never thought to try it.

WHAT NOW!?
:054:

darkNES386

Smash Lord
I just had to post this:

And to clarify... you DO HAVE THIS IN YOUR BODY. We all have a little SHH in us :)

Sonic hedgehog homolog (SHH) is one of three proteins in the mammalian hedgehog family, the others being desert hedgehog (DHH) and Indian hedgehog (IHH). SHH is the best studied ligand of the hedgehog signaling pathway. It plays a key role in regulating vertebrate organogenesis, such as in the growth of digits on limbs and organization of the brain. Sonic hedgehog is the best established example of a morphogen as defined by Lewis Wolpert's French flag model—a molecule that diffuses to form a concentration gradient and has different effects on the cells of the developing embryo depending on its concentration. SHH remains important in the adult. It controls cell division of adult stem cells and has been implicated in development of some cancers.

Discovery

The hedgehog gene (hh) was first identified in the classic Heidelberg screens of Eric Wieschaus and Christiane Nusslein-Volhard, as published in 1978. These screens, which led to their winning the Nobel Prize in 1995 along with developmental geneticist Edward B. Lewis, identified genes that control the segmentation pattern of Drosophila melanogaster (fruit fly) embryos. The hh loss of function mutant phenotype causes the embryos to be covered with denticles (small pointy projections), much like a hedgehog.

Investigations aimed at finding a hedgehog equivalent in mammals revealed three homologous genes. The first two discovered, desert hedgehog and Indian hedgehog, were named for species of hedgehogs, while sonic hedgehog was named after Sega's video game character Sonic the Hedgehog.[1] In zebrafish, the orthologues of the three mammalian hh genes are: shh a, shh b (formerly described as tiggywinkle hedgehog named for Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, a character from Beatrix Potter's books for children.), and indian hedgehog b (formerly described as echidna hedgehog, named for the spiny anteater).

Criticism of the name

Some clinicians and scientists criticize giving genes frivolous or quirky names, calling it inappropriate that patients with "a serious illness or disability are told that they or their child have a mutation in a gene such as Sonic hedgehog."[12]

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_hedgehog

Why? Well one of my gf's college bio classes discussed this and so yeah she knew I'd get a kick out of it.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
LOL

I personally never saw that before XD

That's too good. The only way it could've been better is if they somehow mentioned Steak in there.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Not killing it, but redirecting all the discussion elsewhere.

Personally I don't like it for intelligent discussion, nothing can be saved. Sure works wonders though for dodging infractions.

We won't have to get banned for being Sonic boards. YAY!

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Why do you suppose he's moving on to other boards?

He has like 4 other character boards to mod IIRC.

Whatever, it really doesn't matter, I know were all in the tourney scene, I am too.

That's enough to look forward too, and it's very exciting when I'm there.

Also Chis you're overreacting in the true SBr.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Why do you suppose he's moving on to other boards?

He has like 4 other character boards to mod IIRC.
I knowz

Whatever, it really doesn't matter, I know were all in the tourney scene, I am too.

That's enough to look forward too, and it's very exciting when I'm there.
That's nice. But not everyone is so yeah.

Also Chis you're overreacting in the true SBr.
lol irony,

Top Bottom