• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic rFAQ! New to Sonic? Have a quick question? Ask it here!

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
^^

Wait... wut?

I don't think I can understand what you're trying to say, Terios.

I think you mean how people know more about Sonic us than we do ourselves?

If that's the case, lol sarcasm on the internet.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
SOrry guys, I was @ a tourney last weekend and got 5th. I lost to 2 friend of mines I play all the time :-(

If it matters I yelled steak after every kill ;-)

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Err... I think you may have the wrong thread?

Regardless, if you did or didn't we really have a stickied tourney results thread for those kind of things. This place is for asking any question that may concerned you.

Indeed, for anything you might not know or are too lazy to look for yourself (or the answer may just not be out there) this is the place to post your concerns.

Which reminds me.

Why would I need to learn how to DACUS as Sonic? Sure if I ever played other characters who benefited from a DAC it would come in handy, but with sonic (and since you won't ever catch me playing anybody but Ike), it would seem to me that I just get the same distance from either a hyphened USmash (probably because Sonic runs so fast and his traction when hyphen-USmashing becomes really low), or a DACUS. I cannot see or feel the difference from watching it on Youtube videos.

So basically, my question is :

Why would I need to impliment DACUS into my game and when/where would I be able to use it/ what benefits could I get from it that I would not be able to reap from a regular hyphen USmash?

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Why would I need to learn how to DACUS as Sonic? Sure if I ever played other characters who benefited from a DAC it would come in handy, but with sonic (and since you won't ever catch me playing anybody but Ike), it would seem to me that I just get the same distance from either a hyphened USmash (probably because Sonic runs so fast and his traction when hyphen-USmashing becomes really low), or a DACUS. I cannot see or feel the difference from watching it on Youtube videos.

So basically, my question is :

Why would I need to impliment DACUS into my game and when/where would I be able to use it/ what benefits could I get from it that I would not be able to reap from a regular hyphen USmash?
The good thing about dacus is that you can delay it from sonics foxtrot. Like, foxtrot, wait a bit, then adash attack into upsmash. lol mindgames.

infomon

Smash Scientist
... although that can be done with running-upsmash as well.

The DACUS gives it a more visible boost forward at the beginning. That extra punch of speed can prolly be worth it, but I actually find the DACUS hard to perform lulz.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Well, from a standing position, you can have a low-range hyphen smash if you just do the U-smash right out of an initial dash.

If you want the 'full-speed' slide, you actually need to have a running start first, because believe it or not, Sonic DOESN'T start at full speed.

DACUS lets you do that.

You can like, walk away to space, then all of a sudden do a turn-around DACUS and land a U-smash.

Just throwing out ideas, lol. I don't actually do that too much, even though my fingers like doing the DACUS input.

Infzy:
Also, if you're using tap jump off, all you have to do is hit diagonal forward-up and then C-stick(preferrably down, like instant dash attack) +A

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Yeah, I kind of thought that the timing for a DACUS is a little strict (for Brawl), however even though practice could help me learn it and it would be a nice tool, I do not really care enough to impliment such a technique when a simpler method is already available. Besides I never hyphen an USmash from a standing point, I'm always running.

For knowledge though, how exactly do you DACUS on a GC controller? P.S. I have my Y button set to shield if that matters.

Also how do I Glide Toss forward and throwing my item forward with me? I know I'm going to need to know how to do this when I fight a Diddy.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
C-stick is your friend now you use a GC controller. Dacus is eassssssy now. You have to dash, C-stick down for dash attack, then press up (control stick) + Z button (which is supposed to be grab)

Glide toss is roll + C-stick. The way you tilt the C-stick is the way you throw.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Just follow G2's simple post on how to do it.

While it may look easy, it's not at first. Of course like everything else, it just takes practice.

But again I don't think not using DACUS as Sonic is too vital.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Ok, How do U DACUS? Every1 said Sonic couldn't do it so I never bothered learning it....
C-stick is your friend now you use a GC controller. Dacus is eassssssy now. You have to dash, C-stick down for dash attack, then press up (control stick) + Z button (which is supposed to be grab)

Glide toss is roll + C-stick. The way you tilt the C-stick is the way you throw.
...There?

Unless you're not using a GCC then this should answer that...

:093:

Tenki

Smash Hero
If you have tapjump off you can just do [UP+FORWARD] > [C-stick down]-[A](or [Z]).

It's a ton easier and you can even pull off Sheik's with like, no problem doing that.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
i dont think DACUS is really needed wit sonic though. hyphen smash is still good if you use it wisely. i tend to use it to punish aerial happy opponents randomly.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
DACUS seemz pretty interesting, It Might Be useful....

Also, 1 thing I've noticed is that we Sonic's are about Mindgames

But many people make the mistake of showing all of our tricks SO SOON in matches.

For example, lets say Tenki is fighting Ally. Tenki is using all of the mindgames in the world but Ally is figuring more and more out about Tenki during the match. Even if tenki wins, Aly still figures him out. We Sonic Players kno that Sonic is at a big disadvantage. But we trick every1 into thinking that good Sonic Players are scarier than MK.

Like, people should start holding back and as teh match progresses, or depending on how soon the opponent picks up on Sonic's disadvantage, we should then start pullin out more tricks...

Right or wrong? Although this is a horridly obvious strategy...

Also, Hypen smash juggling is fun :-) plus the mindgames with SD cancel... Sweet

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
For example, lets say Tenki is fighting Ally. Tenki is using all of the mindgames in the world but Ally is figuring more and more out about Tenki during the match. Even if tenki wins, Aly still figures him out. We Sonic Players kno that Sonic is at a big disadvantage. But we trick every1 into thinking that good Sonic Players are scarier than MK.
This is called matchup inexpierence, which shouldn't really count to how good a character is. It shows the opponent just didn't know enough.

Tenki

Smash Hero
This is called matchup inexpierence, which shouldn't really count to how good a character is. It shows the opponent just didn't know enough.
Correct.

When you're playing, you can abuse it to your heart's content, but don't EVER rely on it.

Like, people should start holding back and as teh match progresses, or depending on how soon the opponent picks up on Sonic's disadvantage, we should then start pullin out more tricks...

Right or wrong? Although this is a horridly obvious strategy...

lol been there, done that.

When you play against people like that, their mindgames and player-traps are so amazing that you aren't really able to tell how much of it is their character and how much is them just mindraping you into their gamerape.

Like, at that point, the only places the "character" really shows up is when they're dealing damage, killing you, or choosing moves to beat yours. The rest - approaching, countering approaches, punishing airdodge/rolls, etc are all player-based.

The idea is correct, but your motivations are totally wrong.

Counting on your opponent not knowing the matchup is a rather fickle thing to do.

But holding back on your tricks for a bit is fine, because you generally want to save your 'critical' mindgame(s)/mixups for when they're at a kill %.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I just go autopilot mode in my matches, unless I'm like losing or something.

It works for me.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
I just go autopilot mode in my matches, unless I'm like losing or something.

It works for me.
My thoughts exactly :laugh:

It's just that matches against D3, Falco, Lucario, MK and G&W are beyond Doable but frustrating.

It's the Oli,, Snake and Wario Match-ups that are becoming Impossible tho....

Snakes are easy to beat-up on until that last freakin life!!! Grrrr....

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
if it works abuse it.

if it works, keep doing it forever until they figure out how to beat it, and at that point do something else.

thats the best method. especially with sonic, because theres ALWAYS something else you can do

B_AWAL

Smash Master
if it works abuse it.

if it works, keep doing it forever until they figure out how to beat it, and at that point do something else.

thats the best method. especially with sonic, because theres ALWAYS something else you can do
::laugh:

I was thinking about how every character has bad match-ups and etc.

But,

We want Sonic to go up in the rankings.

So

Would it be ok if I had a 2ndary to beat up on Sonic's worst match-ups?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Nobody is stopping you from picking up a character to help you with your matchups.

It's just some thing some of us do where we don't even have a CP and go full Sonic, that's your choice though.

Though if you're trying to get Sonic up in the rankings, it defeats the purpose by having to CP because it just meant that you were not confident in your skill with Sonic to beat your opponent without having to use another character. Not only that, but you will also have to split the points equally, and you getting 1st with say something like Sonic/Snake would not get you as many points if you got 2nd place and went all Sonic.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
Nobody is stopping you from picking up a character to help you with your matchups.

It's just some thing some of us do where we don't even have a CP and go full Sonic, that's your choice though.

Though if you're trying to get Sonic up in the rankings, it defeats the purpose by having to CP because it just meant that you were not confident in your skill with Sonic to beat your opponent without having to use another character. Not only that, but you will also have to split the points equally, and you getting 1st with say something like Sonic/Snake would not get you as many points if you got 2nd place and went all Sonic.
I ONLY go Fox or Luigi against Snake, Oli and Wario. All of those match-ups are definitely Doable. But to pick Sonic against a campy Olimar that kills ALL possible approaches, a Snake that can drop grenades in the middle of any of Sonic's combo's(Even the frickin SD footstool) or a Wario that can 0 to death U is kinda stupid. I wanna stick 2 Sonic the entire time but that match-ups are so ********.

But in the end I see Ur point. If it's 2 hot then stay the **** outta the kitchen right? Well I'll just stick 2 Sonic and practice different strategies.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Wario is beatable, contrary to popular belief.

But yeah I can see your frustration, it happens to all of us.

P.S. if your opponent is playing gay, play gay right back.

Tero.

Smash Champion
Wario can be more gay than Sonic ~.~

Sonic is not that vulnerable to air camping tho, because he's too fast

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I really think what makes Wario such a nuisance is his stupid Bite and all that jazz.

The matchup isn't so bad if you can avoid those, trust me.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero

itll get you wayyy more money tho

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
THAT MAKES PERFECT SENCE!

@.Tero: yeah, wario is gay, i just run from him, or counterpick YI:B... :laugh:
i need to stop promoting stuff...:(

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I don't see what's wrong with it, I really do think YI:B is one of Sonic's better stages anyway and you can't go wrong with it as a neutral.

Also KID you forget not everybody in here is playing smash for the money.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I'll only win a tourney without Sonic if my CP looks something like "Sonic/Steak."

Mhm, LOLCakes.

... Althoguh you could just be better than your opponent and still win tourneys, but let's not continue this any further since I know what counter-arguments I'll see and it'll just be a long, drawn-out debate on how we all already know some play to win, some play to get better, some play to win with Sonic, some just play to win as Sonic because they literally can't play anybody but Sonic, some to play for fun, and some play to get better with Sonic.

So pretty much whatever the Hell you can come up with.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Sometimes Spin Dash Roll clashes with a projectile. Other times it loses. Same goes for ASC. Is this due to holding forward or dependent on the amount of charge remaining?
I think it also takes into account how fresh the move is...but I think holding forward gets the extra hits to "eat" the projectiles.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
I think it also takes into account how fresh the move is...but I think holding forward gets the extra hits to "eat" the projectiles.

I'm testing it right now and it appears to be holding foward. I hope I didn't offend anyone who might already have known this.

edit: However the ASC seems a little more unpredictable... i've just been testing on pikachu's shock. Moving on to next projectile.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I'm testing it right now and it appears to be holding foward. I hope I didn't offend anyone who might already have known this.

edit: However the ASC seems a little more unpredictable... i've just been testing on pikachu's shock. Moving on to next projectile.
It's not a problem man, it's been brought up before. Like, we've had cases of ASC going through fully chared Aura Spheres, but hey, if you wanna test what projectiles it works on, what %'s, stale/unstale etc, that'd be awesome.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
What's a good Sonic fansite?

I'm curious as to what the fanbase thinks of Sonic and the Black Knight. Nintendo Power gave it an 8 prior to IGN's 3.9, so the IGN review has been causing a bit of a buzz.

Browny

Smash Hater
all i have to say is...
you cant spell ignorant without ign

Also the ASC projectile eating ability is referred to as 'omnomnom frames'

Top Bottom