• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic rFAQ! New to Sonic? Have a quick question? Ask it here!

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace
I'll try again must be my internet or something.
yeah ... youtube does that sometimes. You might have to reload it bunches of times or change the quality of the video. If all else fails, try another browser.

oh snap, i am LOVING this stage list.

stage sonic should be CPing
frigate
halberd
rainbow cruise
Final D

Stages sonic should avoid.
Lylat
Battlefield
pictochat (IMO, sonics worst stage)

the rest are matchup dependant
dont go bf against snake
Ban Japes against rob falco and peach.
CP fattys and bad recoveries to RC
ban brinstar against DK and wario.
lylat is worse for spacies than it is for sonic.
CP Ike, ivy, oli, and other tethers to frigate.

stuff like that.
Sounds good, but how do you know who plays what character? Doesn't the order go ban stage - they ban stage - both pick characters ?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
1. pictochat is sonics worst stage because its most likely the biggest legal stage for this tourney. therefore it takes FOREVER to kill anything with him there.

2. you learn who plays who by scoping stuff out, paying attention and asking around. Find out who people main, play friendlies with people. its like war a little bit, you have to go out scouting and doing reconnaisance missions. Before the tourney ever started I knew that you mained sonic, and that i wouldnt CP frigate against you, since you second kirby and frigate is a good kirby stage. i found that out by paying attention on the boards and watching you play friendlies before hand. stuff like that.

RyuKen!

Smash Apprentice
yeah ... youtube does that sometimes. You might have to reload it bunches of times or change the quality of the video. If all else fails, try another browser.

Sounds good, but how do you know who plays what character? Doesn't the order go ban stage - they ban stage - both pick characters ?
Thanks, it work stright away as soon as i changed the quality.

Thanks to you chis for the vid great match too.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Pictochat also destroys Sonic's gimping game with how close the level is to the bottom blast point...

And I don't know what the **** is wrong with you people, I love Battlefield.

C'mon, lrn2BF. It's so good.

I understand against SOME characters it's not that good, but overall, Battlefield is sexy for Sonic.

:093:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Final Destination is SONIC's playground...

...wait you say your opponent is Diddy Kong here...?!

HA! Don't even get me started on how more people find it annoying to play on Final D than they do BField. Seriously it's not that I don't like BF as much as I know that my opponents hate FD much more than any other neutral stage (except maybe when Lylat is a starter stage).

Seriously if Final D isn't banned, I don't know why you wouldn't go to this stage.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Final D is FUN, but Battlefield is very effective against characters who can gay you at Final D.

But lol@peoplewhobanFDatlikeeverytournamentigotobecausetheythinkitshisbeststageevar

Just sayin' people.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Dear fellow Sonic players,

Is there any point in executing a spin dash (charge) at the exact same instant as you jump? Does this move have any special movement properties or is it just as if Sonic jumped normally? Would there be anything to gain from using this?

You can release it into an ASC or a spin dash roll (if you release it once you land), but that's not necessary.

infomon

Smash Scientist
afaict you don't have any aerial control during an "empty" down-B, like when the aura's not present; or maybe there's just not enough time to tell (because you do have aerial control while charging the ASC, by rolling the control stick between down-left and down-right). But at the very least it's less aerial control than during a normal jump. And you can't do anything out of it, so it's useless except as a really lame mindgame :(

If you release the ASC while rising in your jump, it looks cool; similar enough to a side-B to fake me out, lol. Although the only good that can come of that is to eventually shield-cancel the ASC's landing when the opponent thinks it's a side-B which can't be shield-cancelled.... but that's pretty dumb and will never matter, lol.

I wonder if we can get the rising-ASC to do like 4-hit combos lol.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Like, a rising down-B charge, with the charge started as you jump?

You can ASC up to half the stage from a short hop if you do that and release ASAP.

like, a rising ASC.

It's cool, but I never really went into any uses/properties of it other than trying to see if it had any effect on the "11% damage" second/multi-hit.

Nixernator

Smash Ace
So I hear that Green greens is Sonic's best stage. At a tourney today I played it a few times and sucked hardcore. Any tips on how to play on it to turn it into a viable counterpick?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
So I hear that Green greens is Sonic's best stage. At a tourney today I played it a few times and sucked hardcore. Any tips on how to play on it to turn it into a viable counterpick?
:D

~An Excerpt from the OFFICIAL Sonic Stage Examination thread~
-A write-up from Boxob

Stage Synopsis: Sonic for me is all about pressure. To pressure, one needs to eliminate options of the opponent by either overwhelming them with speed, box[ob] them into a corner or wall, create situations where you are in control and they are unable to perform A and B. Green Greens is a magical place that lets you do all three of those at the same time with minimal amounts of thinking and effort. The barriers are really, really small, KO's are no longer a problem by any means. In fact, they're too easy. the fact that there are walls everywhere,
coupled with the existence of the spinshot make this stage a combo *****'s wet dream. It's green, twice. Sonic is amazing with items. OH LOOK AT THAT. This place is so amazing, it makes Sonic godly. This is Sonic's best stage. The end.

Oh, and Boxob forgot to mention that Sonic's SideB eats Bomb Blocks. Use that for sexy kills/damage racking.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
it only eats them in the first 10 or so frames

maybe 5.
somewhere there, i never did the data because its a stupid stage and only dumb regions have it as a cp

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
it only eats them in the first 10 or so frames

maybe 5.
somewhere there, i never did the data because its a stupid stage and only dumb regions have it as a cp
lol, it's banned everywhere I go.

And yeah...Don't try and go through like 3 walls of bombs...cuz it only works for a little XD

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I think it was a joke.

And even if it wasn't, you just need to practice, like everything else.

I tried to play on it, but I got my *** handed to me.

Nixernator

Smash Ace
Nah it wasn't a joke, I never practice on it coz I assumed it was banned, then I got there and got my *** handed to me by a marf on battlefield. I was like wait isn't green greens good and its not banned today. I still lost.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
no matter how good a stage is for a character, if you dont know why, or what makes said stage special for said character, its pretty pointless, youd be better off going to a stage you are really fimiliar with even if it gives you some kind of disadvantage than going to a stage youve never played on before

leonbird

Smash Rookie
spin shot is the Down+B special for sonic. press B 5 times for maximum speed or "charge"

infomon

Smash Scientist
spin shot is the Down+B special for sonic. press B 5 times for maximum speed or "charge"
Ummmmmm nope, we call down-B "spin charge" for that reason, and side-B is "spin dash".

Spin Shot is a weird double-jump tech, you can do it from either side-B or down-B. It's a long fast jump. One way to do it is by charging a down-B in the air, then hitting Forward on the C-stick. Your midair-jump must be available for it to work.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
VSDJ has a hitbox on liftoff, it also looks flashy.

It doesn't take too much to do either, so a jump with a hitbox seems liek a nice benefit.

Player-3

Smash Hero
An extra hitbox never hurt anyone.

Except for maybe the opponent ;o

isnt vsdj's horizontal DI worse than a normal jumps? i could be wrong.. most likely am..but thats why im asking, rite?

i know about the hitbox but i was talking maneuverability

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
vsdj also goes slightly higher than a normal jump

MC
you are going to play KC on saturday. If you lose more than 1 stock against him, i will be HIGHLY disappointed in you. If he beats you, I will never speak to you again. And I will take away your right to play sonic forever.

infomon

Smash Scientist
isnt vsdj's horizontal DI worse than a normal jumps? i could be wrong.. most likely am..but thats why im asking, rite?
You shouldn't call that DI, just aerial maneuverability; DI is about controlling the trajectory when you get hit. Calling them both DI is common but IMO misleading, so I try to point it out to ppl. That minor technicality aside... I actually thought SDJ/VSDJ had better horizontal acceleration than a normal jump, but that may not be right. You can control the initial direction of a regular jump better, though. (I love the low angles we get with our jumps!!)

VSDJ is good because as ppl have pointed out, it goes higher than a regular jump and it has a hitbox.... it's good for some combos and messing with ppl on platforms. Especially since you can start a side-B, and depending on their response, either shield-cancel it or hit them with a VSDJ lol.

Player-3

Smash Hero
You shouldn't call that DI, just aerial maneuverability; DI is about controlling the trajectory when you get hit. Calling them both DI is common but IMO misleading, so I try to point it out to ppl. That minor technicality aside... I actually thought SDJ/VSDJ had better horizontal acceleration than a normal jump, but that may not be right. You can control the initial direction of a regular jump better, though. (I love the low angles we get with our jumps!!)

VSDJ is good because as ppl have pointed out, it goes higher than a regular jump and it has a hitbox.... it's good for some combos and messing with ppl on platforms. Especially since you can start a side-B, and depending on their response, either shield-cancel it or hit them with a VSDJ lol.
o:
i see
i wasnt sure but i saw Umby do it at the tourny on saturday
he might have just been moving slowly but i dunno
(i had never bothered looking at the SD threads because i didnt feel comfortable using it yet)

thanks for the term fix

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace
ok, jablock. I can't do it. I've done it once, but that was with the help of the tree from PS1.

I can SD > foot stool jump, but no matter what I do it seems like my opponent has plenty of time to recover before I can get down there again and start jabbing.

?

Tenki

Smash Hero
I don't know if VSDJ's acceleration is greater than a normal jump, but its max speed is.

ok, jablock. I can't do it. I've done it once, but that was with the help of the tree from PS1.

I can SD > foot stool jump, but no matter what I do it seems like my opponent has plenty of time to recover before I can get down there again and start jabbing.

?
Sonic's "guaranteed" jab lock setup is:
SD > footstool > (few frame delay) Spring > D-air (lagless, no contact) > jab lock

at low %'s (below 30% on most characters). And even then, you have to time the spring delay, the D-air, adjust the timing on the footstool after the SD, AND hope your opponent DI's in the direction you're facing.

If you get a SD> footstool, don't go for a jablock, go for a techchase followup.

edit:

LOLOLYOU'RETOOSLOW

though, your post content was nicer than this one :/
vvvvv

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208

?
Tenki sucks ):<

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
vsdj also goes slightly higher than a normal jump

MC
you are going to play KC on saturday. If you lose more than 1 stock against him, i will be HIGHLY disappointed in you. If he beats you, I will never speak to you again. And I will take away your right to play sonic forever.
oh is he going?

i'll slit my wrist vertically, don't even worry about it

Top Bottom