• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic rFAQ! New to Sonic? Have a quick question? Ask it here!

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i should make lists like that more often, cause when i (or anybody else) looks at it i (or you) can really take a different perspective on my game, since it helps me to see how many options i really do have and how many i dont use and should use more often

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Definitly, after you do a D-throw it's just a bit of prediction where he will roll/tech to. You can F-smash out of it, D-smash, regrab and more stuff like that.

wildjango

Smash Cadet
oh cool ill b sure to tray them. so if they roll away i can get a free dash attack rite???

Bluehedgehog

Smash Cadet
Hey, I'm new to the boards.

Out of a down throw i use my spin dash sometimes, then i continue from there.

Anyway I was in training mode and i did an upthrow, to spin dash jump vertically and then back air, it did about 32%.
I have not tried it on humans or cpus but it seems pretty good, hopefully you can't DI out of one of the hits...

I also have a question, one of my friends uses wolf and every-time I rush in with a spin dash (usually after I do mind games and what not..) he hits me with his blaster. However when he does this I just jump and homing attack to punish him. What else can I do?

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Hey, I'm new to the boards.
Out of a down throw i use my spin dash sometimes, then i continue from there.
Anyway I was in training mode and i did an upthrow spin dash jump vertically and back air, it did about 32%.
I have not tried it on humans or cpus but it seems pretty good...
Welcome to the boards :)
Don't forget to allows use the search button and read the stickies!

Feel free to gaze into the index thread near the top of the page for guides and stuff :')

Down can introduce tech chances (predict where they roll then re grab them), Down throw off the stage also sets up gimps.

The opponent will probably DI away so you can do that. :/

Maybe at 0% Up throw > upsmash/up air/ bair etc.

wildjango

Smash Cadet
call me a noob but i just found out that u can direct sonic's side smash does this change anything???

Bluehedgehog

Smash Cadet
call me a noob but i just found out that u can direct sonic's side smash does this change anything???
I think it does because I think it changes sonic's hit box and will affect how the opponent is hit and where they will be sent flying to

I edited my previous post a lot as not to double post...

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
You mean when you unleash your Forward Smash, you can direct Sonic's punch up, center or down?

I'm pretty sure it doesn't affect how the opponent will go flying back but aiming the punch up allows you to hit things above and aiming it down allows you to poke at areas not covered by someone's shield...I think

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Yeah, tilting forward smash just alters the hitbox.

Can be useful for some things.

Like, a normal fsmash forwards at a Wario's Bite would get you eaten, but if you angle the fsmash up it hits him and you're fine.

Welcome to the boards.

:093:

Bluehedgehog

Smash Cadet
yeah i mean if u aim it up or down does it change anything like damage or KB??
I don't think it affects How much knock back but how the opponent is knocked back. So my answer to your question is no.

[Edit]
Can some one explain to me Side B reversal.

wildjango

Smash Cadet
oh ok thanx just wondering. btw i heard of some technique that will help me get more range of the sidesmash is it true??? or have i been lied too

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I just answered that in my thread, and linked you to the place that tells you how to do it, and even gives you a video tutorial.

>_>

Bluehedgehog

Smash Cadet
oh ok thanx just wondering. btw i heard of some technique that will help me get more range of the sidesmash is it true??? or have i been lied too
Do you mean stutter step? there is a video on youtube but i can't find it. However its just tapping back and c stick forward.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Can some one explain to me Side B reversal.
Side B reversal? Well, when it turns around, it loses it's hitbox, but you can still get attacked out of it which is pretty bad.

There are neutral B reversals, but it doesn't do much for Sonic considering the move sets it's own path towards the opponent anyway.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ34M-Bdo6k&fmt=18

That video explains a lot to do with side/down B, doesn't cover everything, but is useful. I recommend a watch.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Bluehedgehog knows his facts.

I like it.

Welcome to the boards everyone :p

I guess ROOOOY, Chis, and Gf2tw are going to go play, but I'll still be on. If you have any more questions I can answer them.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Gtfo, I can't join. I'm not around my Wii atm.

Besides, we'd probably have an extremely laggy connection anyway.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Hm...I do have a beastly connection with most.

But that still doesn't change the fact I don't have my Wii with me D:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
to the guy dealing with wolf,

you are thinking about it too much in a "Sonic" sence and not as much in a "Smash" sence...

for example, as opposed to thinking, "How can sonic get around wolf's blaster?" sometimes its better to think, "How can I get around wolfs blaster regardless of what character I am?" that helps your overall gameplay. because instead of thinking about sonic specific stuff, you can think of overall game mechanics, which make you better at the game.

But to answer the question.

when wolf spams blaster you cna just walk and powershield the hits. you can roll around them, you can spotdodge them, you can do a jumping airdodge through them, you can simply jump over them, you can use side b's invincibility to go through them and you can also do a spinshot or iSDJ to get over them.

Bluehedgehog

Smash Cadet

you are thinking about it too much in a "Sonic" sence and not as much in a "Smash" sence...

for example, as opposed to thinking, "How can sonic get around wolf's blaster?" sometimes its better to think, "How can I get around wolfs blaster regardless of what character I am?" that helps your overall gameplay. because instead of thinking about sonic specific stuff, you can think of overall game mechanics, which make you better at the game.

But to answer the question.

when wolf spams blaster you cna just walk and powershield the hits. you can roll around them, you can spotdodge them, you can do a jumping airdodge through them, you can simply jump over them, you can use side b's invincibility to go through them and you can also do a spinshot or iSDJ to get over them.
Thanks a lot, I have read some of your previous posts and threads those really helped me too. Also do you think it is wise to do the thing Malcolm does where he runs up to the opponent turns around to fake them out and side smash ? Because cant they just side smash you? Especially knowing some characters side smash range like charizard and such.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
its how mindgames work, you have to be in control of your speed timing and spacing at all times, cus to be honest it would be very easy to forward smash sonic out of that,

if you know its coming...

thats why its hard to play sonic, because everything you can possibly do can get ***** if the other person knows what you are going to do.

Boxob.

Smash Lord

That's probably the smartest thing I've read on these boards in a long while.

People think way too much about Sonic specific. The game's easy when you just think of the game as a whole.

IDK

Smash Lord
I thought about posting this in the matchup threads but it's not really character specific... anyone with a good stagespike can do this. Anyway, do a lot of sonics use their b to recover? At least once a match? Because basically if you do, and someone else expects it, they can run just out of his range (below and too far away) (under the ledge) and it puts sonic in perfect position, right next to the ledge, to be stagespiked, and he can't do anything about it once he presses the b button.

As for the blaster question, just SHAD and perfect shield, and every once in a while full jump over all of it and fast fall a fair, dair, or nair, depending on your character.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Homing Attack is a joke.

That's one of the many reasons that I don't use it, along with it being the worst move in Brawl in general.

Boxob.

Smash Lord
I thought about posting this in the matchup threads but it's not really character specific... anyone with a good stagespike can do this. Anyway, do a lot of sonics use their b to recover? At least once a match? Because basically if you do, and someone else expects it, they can run just out of his range (below and too far away) (under the ledge) and it puts sonic in perfect position, right next to the ledge, to be stagespiked, and he can't do anything about it once he presses the b button.
If a Sonic uses his Homing attack to recover to the stage whilst close to the stage (close enough to jump/ spring to it) he's stupid.

You're only supposed to use it if you're really, really far away.

Even then, you most likely won't need too, Sonic might need to use his HA to get back maybe once every 10 or so matches, if that.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
If you're reffering to Homing Attack, then that is possible, along with many other things

Which contributes to why people use Homing Attack very rarely because it's a pretty bad move

In a normal situation, most Sonic's (who know what they're doing) will NEVER use Homing Attack, not even for recovery unless their opponent can't attack back because it's very easily outprioritized

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
IDK, we know that homing attack sucks to recover. We only use it against people who have never played Sonic or don't know anything about him, lol. You can even spotdoge while the Homing attack is "locking on" and it totally just messes it up. Homing attack is not a RELIABLE move for anything...

EDIT: lol, I love how many people come in to tear apart homing attack so quickly XD

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I only use HA when in a 45 degree angle above the stage, far away from the opponent and not going under the ledge in the end. Just for funnies and horizantal distance.

Boxob.

Smash Lord
Homing attack is not a joke move, it's not terrible and people just need to test it more.

REALLY think about what we have here as an attack, I might do a write up for it, a full essay on as to how and why it's a useful move.

Top Bottom