• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Metaknight Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I think Captain Falcon is the most fun character to play.

But still, this conversation is irrelevant to the topic.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Nah, MK and Samus are tied at most fun to play as.
Though Samus would be aggravating to play as in a competitive setting. :/

Hey guys, do you all think MK still deserves to be in his own tier if there was a ledge grab limit, scrooging, and planking were banned?

Flayl

Smash Hero
Actually I've looked really closely at frame data concerning Ledge play, and for a large portion of the cast, it actually technically framewise is unbeatable. I'm gonna make a huge thread covering it soon once I make sure all the data is correct, and once I have the numbers right.
Thank you. But if we end up with characters with small frame windows with the risk of being gimped, it's unviable for those as well.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
If you're having fun, or trying to have fun, and you opponent doesn't care about your fun and is crushing you, is it fun anymore?

clearly, justblaze doesn't think so.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Nah, MK and Samus are tied at most fun to play as.
Though Samus would be aggravating to play as in a competitive setting. :/
Samus is hella fun, but sucks balls.

Hey guys, do you all think MK still deserves to be in his own tier if there was a ledge grab limit, scrooging, and planking were banned?
Considering all the results we have now are basically from tournaments with rules set in place to prevent said tactics, yes.

All you people out there who like falcon, be jealous:

I'm playing in the DOUBLES FALCON CHAMPIONSHIP tonight.

THEE UFC DOUBLES!!!!
(Ultimate Falcon Championship Doubles)
Rangers must practice against one another in order to fight against the monsters.

This means.....
3 Stock
8 Mins
All Double Stages on Random
Captain Falcon Only.

Free entry with Golden Falcons for first place.

That's right. GOLDEN FALCONS.

LIVE STREAM:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/mwc-e-ouga-rangers-zeo

^Falcon UFC doubles starts at 9 p.m.

Yeahyuhzz.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Lol no. It's not humanly possible to be as to punish all these "in theory things". You're relying on theory craft to say "well this matchup could be possible".

Sheik has no kills setups on MK outside grab release, MK doesnt have to approach once he gets ahead and he doesnt have to touch the ground either. It honestly doesn't matter how much damage you can do because MK can live up to 180% every stock and MK can kill Sheik at half of that. MK only dies if he mispaces something or makes a mistake.

What you're thinking is "outplaying someone significantly", but if you think about it, all of the hits you land are misreads by MK. If a MK and Sheik player are of equal skill the MK player will win every time on every stage by a safe margin.
I was about to say "If you replace 'Sheik' with 'Kirby' that is exactly how I've felt for many many months now" but:

It's so sad that you can replace the word "Shiek" in this post with well over half of the cast of characters in brawl, and the argument would still be valid...
Kith beat me to it.

edit: and now that I read RH's post again, I saw "Sheik has no kills setups on MK outside grab release"
Kirby has NO kill setups on MK. LOL

In my honest opinion, Kirby has no "absolute unwinnable matchups" so he fits my definition of a "good/decent" character, but if you really look at it he can't do **** against MK, and no other character puts him in the same situation. If MK loses to Kirby, it's the player, not the character. That's all there is to it.
:\ MK

You're trying to argue against an 'unbeatable tactic', when planking isn't unbeatable. No one said it is, they're just pointing out it's an 'optimal' tactic. So, as you can see, it doesn't matter if some characters can beat planking, because it still is one of the best strategies around.
Planking is "beatable" in the sense that human error exists.

Actually I've looked really closely at frame data concerning Ledge play, and for a large portion of the cast, it actually technically framewise is unbeatable. I'm gonna make a huge thread covering it soon once I make sure all the data is correct, and once I have the numbers right.
That. And even if it WAS beatable:

Thank you. But if we end up with characters with small frame windows with the risk of being gimped, it's unviable for those as well.
The word "unviable" is a good one to use here, since the smash community likes to use it so much.

Basically, if the MK is planking you, and you go to do something about it, with most characters you are taking a HUGE risk while MK is playing "low risk high reward" like he usually is.

I just watched that whole thing.

Now watch 8 minutes of that and imagine planking instead.
/justsaying

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Does anyone remember who made the last thread about official MK ban thread? The "Fourth and Final Community Vote" one. I sorta want to start looking over it again, but I don't know where to look. >_<

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I never thought I'd see someone bring up fun in this thread. No one seems to care about that when talking about MK.
Probably because fun is subjective.

Not true actually. M2K says MK is the most fun character to play, and Im sure most of the top MK mains would agree...
AND EVERYTHING THAT LEAVES M2KS MOUTH MUST BE TRUTH AMIRITE?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
So can we ban MK soon? :3
Just read* that... can anyone seriously tell me that the anti-ban argument is more convincing? @_@

*pronounced "reed" since I looked back and it could be misinterpreted

It's kinda weird how this thread has died down recently, when it was so active before. The new tier list thread has been active, but I would imagine MK taking his own spot would provoke even more discussion in this one.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
So can we ban MK soon? :3

Just read* that... can anyone seriously tell me that the anti-ban argument is more convincing? @_@

*pronounced "reed" since I looked back and it could be misinterpreted

It's kinda weird how this thread has died down recently, when it was so active before. The new tier list thread has been active, but I would imagine MK taking his own spot would provoke even more discussion in this one.
No. And it doesn't really hold up since MK is getting better and planking is still an issue. But its harder to change something than to do nothing.

Anyways I suggested this earlier but it got lost in the shuffle so maybe now that the topic is slowing down I'll try again.

I think the best way to measure MK's effect on the community might be a survey. At tournaments a survey could be issued to ask various questions relating to MK and his impact on the community. Something like this perhaps.

1. How often do you attend tournaments?
( ) Less than once a month ( )Monthly ( )Bi Weekly ( ) Weekly
2. Has your tournament attendance increased or decreased over the last 6 months?
( )Increased greatly ( ) Increased ( ) Stayed the same ( ) Decreased ( ) Decreased greatly
3. What reasons have contributed towards your increase or decrease in tournament attendance? (if there has been a change)

5. If MK were banned how would this impact your tournament attendance?
( ) I would be less likely to attend tournaments ( ) I would be more likely.... ( ) I would be equally likely... ( )I would be much more likely... ( ) I would be much less likely... ( ) I would quit tournament play

And so on so forth. I think trying to coordinate something like this with TOs would be a good way to gather data that can't be gained through results alone.

Delvro

Smash Ace
I think the best way to measure MK's effect on the community might be a survey. At tournaments a survey could be issued to ask various questions relating to MK and his impact on the community. Something like this perhaps.

1. How often do you attend tournaments?
( ) Less than once a month ( )Monthly ( )Bi Weekly ( ) Weekly
2. Has your tournament attendance increased or decreased over the last 6 months?
( )Increased greatly ( ) Increased ( ) Stayed the same ( ) Decreased ( ) Decreased greatly
3. What reasons have contributed towards your increase or decrease in tournament attendance? (if there has been a change)

5. If MK were banned how would this impact your tournament attendance?
( ) I would be less likely to attend tournaments ( ) I would be more likely.... ( ) I would be equally likely... ( )I would be much more likely... ( ) I would be much less likely... ( ) I would quit tournament play

And so on so forth. I think trying to coordinate something like this with TOs would be a good way to gather data that can't be gained through results alone.
I've actually been doing this for players in Kentucky. The problem is that if you only survey people who currently go to tournaments and thus get a biased sample (even so, it may be useful).

I personally know quite a few people that hate metaknight and quit the game long, long ago because of him. Too bad these kind of people are difficult to find and survey. =[

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Just thought I'd pop in here and say...

Larry took M2K to game 3 last stock super duper close and almost won (barely lost), then Ally beats M2K 3-1 and M2K gets third...

BAN META KNIGHT, OBV

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Just thought I'd pop in here and say...

Larry took M2K to game 3 last stock super duper close and almost won (barely lost), then Ally beats M2K 3-1 and M2K gets third...

BAN META KNIGHT, OBV
It's inconceivable that some players can beat others.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
After watching the top MK struggle against/barely beat the top non-MKs yesterday at VC7, I can't support a ban at the moment.

Code Lyon

Smash Journeyman
One tourney outta how many that MK has dominated?

It's fine that some one else took #1 but that's one outta of million (overdoing it)

swordgard

Smash Hero
I just wish we removed the anti planking rules, then at least we could witness some non restrained version of MK.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Are we talking about ADHD/Ally/DEHF or other top players? Because if it's those 3 it's nothing new...
Yeah, i'm talking about those three. They really do an amazing job at showing what their characters can do to effectively combat MK's tools.

And yeah, you can call it "just" one tournament, but it's recent "top-of-the-metagame" tournament.

The matches are too close and come down to outskilling the other guy.

Code Lyon

Smash Journeyman
I just wish we removed the anti planking rules, then at least we could witness some non restrained version of MK.
I thought BR's ruleset had nothing against planking?

Thus the development of his own tier where the halberd uses the claw to knock people into the laser to stun everyone so the combo cannon can shoot and then finish the combo. Halberd should a banned character.

Lol but anyways with the offical ruleset letting MK run free adds to our pro-ban side.

EDIT:
@Turbo: I understand that it's most recent but it would make more since if it was like the 50 national tourney in a row that MK was De-throned it would make a lot more sense.

@Masmasher@: Your agruement has been brought up and disproven already in this thread. Continue?

Code Lyon

Smash Journeyman
Also Ether this MK rule effects the community and everyone is not top-of-metagame. So using outliers or the minority over the majority would is not smart as in the sense of people every top of the metagame people here are 1:100

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
Also Ether this MK rule effects the community and everyone is not top-of-metagame. So using outliers or the minority over the majority would is not smart as in the sense of people every top of the metagame people here are 1:100
its called competing to be the best.

if meta knight can be proven to not be broken or overcentralizing at the top of the metagame then this ban argument is moot and should be stopped.

BSP

Smash Legend
MK isn't broken at the top of the metagame, that's already out the window. He's not broken really, just difficult.

The only arguement that should be considered is damaging to the metagame/community.

Code Lyon

Smash Journeyman
its called competing to be the best.

if meta knight can be proven to not be broken or overcentralizing at the top of the metagame then this ban argument is moot and should be stopped.
Ok answer this or give an estimate.

How many times has a MK won a top-of-the-metagame tourney compare to other characters?

Lol can some one please this guy crow's chart of MK compare to other people so I don't to keep going on with this?

EDIT: Mariob that guy listen to him.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
The only arguement that should be considered is damaging to the metagame/community.
Is over centralization not worthy of a ban?

The results of this tourney made me reconsider my position, but because of Pound 4 results alone (Over 50% of matches were MK v. X) we shouldn't draw any conclusions on this tournament alone and should look at the overall trend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom