• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Metaknight Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnes

Smash Master
Dude, planking is BROKEN! Have you seen how bad MK can plank Falco?! That's why Falcos can never beat MKs.

....Oh wait.
I usually refrain from saying things like this...but hear it goes

ur an idiot, u do realize the reason that this does not happen is because of lgl in certain areas.

Planking is broken, hence why it is banned.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
MK clearly beats Falco with planking in the game. You would be foolhardy to argue otherwise.

Dang, other posters covered it quite well. I love you guys. Especially Gnes, cause Chocolate is good for your health in Moderation.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
What MK does at lower levels of play is irrelevant.
WRONG!

MK at low levels causes people to quit or play MK. thats the problem with MK.

its not that "he's unbeatable". thats not why proban wants to ban him at all. its what he does to the community

napZzz

Smash Hero
The "outliers" you want to dismiss are the ONLY people that matter.

We are trying to see if MK is banable at the highest level of play.

What MK does at lower levels of play is irrelevant.
mk affects the community as a whole. Whether its the top players, or the bottom players, a community is made up of EVERYONE with different levels of skill. You cant have tournaments with just the top level players where you think it should only matter.

Nicole

Smash Champion
So, is anything ever going to be done about MK or are we all just going to discuss whether to ban or not ban MK for a few more years? Or until brawl dies, whichever comes first. I don't mean to be critical and I know most everyone who posts in this thread has no control, but this MK problem has been discussed since Pound, so it's been going on for at least a month, this thread has never NOT been active except for the few times it's been closed by mods for silly reasons...it'd be nice if some action was taken, and if the community could be updated on such happenings. So I guess anyone who has the power to do something of that nature maybe should?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Kill at 900% with dash attack?
Yessir.

Planking is broken, hence why it is banned.
Planking ain't banned. It's just exponentially limited because of the ledge grab rule.
You can still plank, just nowhere near as hard as you used to.

Which is a shame, because Falco deserves it.

So, is anything ever going to be done about MK or are we all just going to discuss whether to ban or not ban MK for a few more years? Or until brawl dies, whichever comes first. I don't mean to be critical and I know most everyone who posts in this thread has no control, but this MK problem has been discussed since Pound, so it's been going on for at least a month, this thread has never NOT been active except for the few times it's been closed by mods for silly reasons...it'd be nice if some action was taken, and if the community could be updated on such happenings. So I guess anyone who has the power to do something of that nature maybe should?
I think OS said something about waiting for the Anti-Ban's response.
We've been waiting for awhile now, hopefully they'll get something up soon.

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
Wouldn't a targeted community vote be the best way to resolve this debacle? (by "targeted" I mean the voters would be active members of the Brawl tournament scene; not just every joe-shmo that has a SWF account like the last polls)

....Granted SWF isn't really equipped to do such a thing easily. It would be a pretty huge undertaking, but I think it could be done.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Put the people that actually KNOW what they are talking about.

Edit: Miracle's don't occur, they are made. LETS DO IT SWF!

Edit2: My god I had an urge to put another really cheesy line here.
Edit3: LETS SHOW THEM THE REAL POWER OF SMASHBOARDS!
Edit4: I put it anyway XD
Edit5:
HA!

Humpy Thrashabout

Smash Journeyman
If we took a poll again would it make sense to compare all of the people who vote against Ankoku's list to make sure that only people who attend tournaments have their vote counted? It would also stop people from making multiple accounts and skewing the results.

Speaking of which, does anyone have a link to the thread with the last poll? I'm curious, I'd like to take a shot at doing that.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
If we took a poll again would it make sense to compare all of the people who vote against Ankoku's list to make sure that only people who attend tournaments have their vote counted? It would also stop people from making multiple accounts and skewing the results.

Speaking of which, does anyone have a link to the thread with the last poll? I'm curious, I'd like to take a shot at doing that.
I dunno. First off that would take a massive amount of work. Also not every tournament is reported, and not every person places, and not every person has an account name that matches the name they use in tournaments.

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
Hotgarbage you are asking for a SWF MIRACLE.
LOL. .....But really, it could work!! :p

Off the top of my head here's my take if anyone gives a crap:
[collapse=WoT incoming]
First off "member of the Brawl tournament community" would have to be defined by the SBR-B. Something tangible..... like attending X amount of tournaments in X amount of time perhaps? Or maybe just having had attended X amount of tournaments. Depends on if you want to only include active members or not.

Next two threads would be made. A "vote" thread and a "debate" thread. Both threads would have statements prepared by anti-ban and pro-ban somewhere in the OP. The debate thread would obviously just house the ongoing discussion of the issue. Perhaps it should sit a few days before the vote thread is put up?
Anyways, the vote thread would have the aforementioned definition of "member of the Brawl tournament community" set as the voter criteria. If you meet this criteria you can vote. If you don't, you can't. Voters would be required to post in a standardized format consisting of their vote aaaaaand proof of their eligibility?? (probably links to attended tournaments?)

Now the tricky part would be enforcing this. To begin with punishment for voting when not eligible would have to be EXTREMELY HARSH. Like, being banned for months/years if not permanently. There would also need to be rewards offered for ratting out dishonest voters. A very lengthy premium membership perhaps? A few free entries into tournaments? These two things alone would probably scare away most of the scumbags. The rest would be up to a modding team to sift through the posts... which would be quite the task :/.

Eh, I guess that mostly covers it. Now for some problems that I could see with this:
- Votes would not be private. Not sure how big a deal this really is.
- Because of the above issue things could potentially get REALLLY messy as voting comes to a close.
- Not sure about the "proof of eligibility" thing. Many tournaments don't have complete results. This could be worked around one way or another I'm sure though, even if it means restricting the voter population.
- False votes would likely still happen, but hopefully in a trivial number.
- Combing through the thread for false vote would suck for those doing it
- If this somehow fell apart in the middle of things it would be verrrry bad.

And benefits:
- A community vote would be FAR less divisive than a SBR_B mandate.
- It would provide immediate resolution of the issue
- The community as a whole would likely be more satisfied regardless of outcome if they have a say in the matter.
- This would be the ethically superior option. Shouldn't those who the decision is effecting have some sort of say in the matter?

ALTERNATIVE SOLUTION: Focus on creating a new "tourney-goer" user-group and add people to it based on aforementioned criteria of eligibility, with similar punishments for trying to get in when not eligible. This group could then be polled in a traditional manner. ...I actually like this better come to think of it. It's more of a permanent solution, (as if an issue like this crops up again in the future it would be easy to resolve via another poll.) and it could also give lurkers some motivation to attend tournaments. On the downside this would require constant upkeep.
[/collapse]
... o wait

*looks at the amount of work/coordination involved*

*looks at SBR*

WTF AM I THINKING LOOOOOOL

Meh, but in all seriousness perhaps one thing we can all take away from this situation is that SWF itself needs to evolve. It is the cornerstone of this community afterall :p.

EDIT:

Oh hey this is a novel idea. It would be far easier to implement than what I proposed. As tien pointed out though there are some pretty big problems. Applying this to the last thread would be very interesting at least. If you're really intent on doing this (I assume by using some python magic or some ****) I could send you a compilation of all of Ankoku's tournament results. Now to find the old thread.... http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=242903

•Col•

Smash Champion
then DMG dont say much, I'd probably wreck ur wario easily lmao. Wario's are tooo easy.
Actually.... Doesn't Captain Falcon have a guaranteed sweet-spotted knee grab release on Wario? XD I've always thought that was pretty awesome...

And I love that comic edit. <3 xkcd

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Ally I guess they don't know the matchup.

There's a reason Falcon vs Wario is in Wario's favor lol.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
Ally I guess they don't know the matchup.

There's a reason Falcon vs Wario is in Wario's favor lol.
Winners' bracket
Bye
Defeated Tuen
Defeated Pwneroni
Defeated Sky
Defeated Zex
Lost to Mew2King

Losers' bracket
Defeated Zex
Defeated Mew2King
Lost to Mew2King

ps, i'll wreck your falcon
You guys are mean, stop teaming up on Ally. lol

Also, DEHF is too good, but Ally is better. IMO. :)

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
lol
planking in a debate? someone needs to implement a ledge grab limit right now.

i'm serious. if this really can't move forward without anti-ban's official response, then there needs to be a time frame for them to come up with a response.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
lol
planking in a debate? someone needs to implement a ledge grab limit right now.

i'm serious. if this really can't move forward without anti-ban's official response, then there needs to be a time frame for them to come up with a response.
That's it! If anti-ban doesn't have a response to pro-ban in 24 hours, they are DQ'd from the debate and Meta Knight is instantly banned.

... :)

Asdioh

Not Asidoh

Rather than making an actual SWF poll, someone could just mass PM all those people that are active in tournaments and compile their answers individually.

:bee:

@planking: Alphazealot told me that Sheik can essentially plank invincibly with Up B in Melee. How often do you see that happen? G&W and Pit planking is something we can deal with later, if it comes up, I guess. I'm still wondering if (at least) a temporary MK ban will take place :3

Flayl

Smash Hero
@planking: Alphazealot told me that Sheik can essentially plank invincibly with Up B in Melee. How often do you see that happen? G&W and Pit planking is something we can deal with later, if it comes up, I guess. I'm still wondering if (at least) a temporary MK ban will take place :3
You can edge-hog Sheik out of that ledge stall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom