• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Metaknight Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I don't do signatures, but this needs to be in someones signature.
Got it. =D

Buuut of course my sig doesn't show up. LOL.

On topic: Zoze, he doesn't need to win tournaments to be considered overcentralized. Just look at Pound 4, 3/4 of the top 10 were MK.

/arguementthatsbeenexplainedanddebunked1000times=D

solecalibur

Smash Master
so if we ignore Ally and ADHD, then MK should be banned.

That sounds silly.

MK needs to be winning every national tournament to be banned. Period.
And when this happens Im going to make a more stupid rules so I can keep using him!

Zozefup

Smash Lord
If MK consistently placed top 3 at most national tournaments, everyone would be okay banning him. But if hes not winning national tournaments, then hes not going to get banned.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
so if we ignore Ally and ADHD, then MK should be banned.

That sounds silly.

No, he doesn't. Period.

If this were the case, we could have banned him when Mew2king was winning every large tournament with Metaknight. Period.

That'd be silly though, because editing the game based only on one placement is silly. Period.

Lots of people play Brawl. Period.

Metaknight has got a lot of data backing up how dominant he is. Period.

You can't see the data and say he isn't dominant. Period.

solecalibur

Smash Master
If MK consistently placed top 3 at most national tournaments, everyone would be okay banning him. But if hes not winning national tournaments, then hes not going to get banned.
What about local / semi larger tounrys? Do they just not count? Are you still forgetting there are only 2-6 people that can consistently beat top MKs?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I did it!

The trick is to take a % of your winnings out based on your average winnings over a 3 month span (assuming there is no downward trend) so that the % taken out should pay for 80% of your monthly expenses each month. This means the other 20% of your monthly expenses are paid out of "spending money" that you can set aside as you need to, and the amount set aside increases or decreases based on the amount you need (so variable free money, but static "saved" money).

This allows your actual expenses to be paid for reliably, but makes your actual lifestyle a variable. I live cheaply regardless of my income, so this wasn't a problem for me.

If you can't find a % of an average of winnings in a 3 month span that can reliably pay for 80% of your bills (or the tournament number decreases as time goes on), don't try it.

I just recently had to go to an ATM for the first time after using only smash money (gas was paid for straight out of bank account, as I consider that a standard monthly expense), but this was due to my girlfriend deciding she wanted a $500 date -_-;;
I never said it wasn't possible.
But there are more RELIABLE ways of earning a living out there. Living off of something you're not necessarily guaranteed good money for is pretty dangerous (nor are you guaranteed consistent tournaments to get the opportunity to possibly win money).

Kudos for being able to do so
having the balls to try and live off of a video game
, but it's still generally not a smart move.

I lol'd.

but yeah...i honestly dont see how ally is winning with cf....u guys are must be either high or drunk or both when he was playing yall.
Those players suck for not knowing the Captain Falcon matchup.

Which is why I play as Wario. Don't need to know the Captain Falcon Matchup when you can Dthrow over and over lol.
Overswarm, it's a gimmick effect. I beat good player with Ganondorf because they don't know what to expect, but once they learn what to expect, there's no hope for me. The same goes for Falcon (except he has a little more hope because he isn't as terrible as Ganon).
I must resist.
I must RESIST.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
You don't have to, you can try to say the same thing for Sonic, but sadly you actually have legitimate options, unlike the lowest of the low tiers.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Legit options or options that require you to think/have actual reflexes to beat the character lol. Ganondorf you can beat even if you are slower than the average reaction time.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Just none that kill.

Sonic has no legitimate options that lead to kill moves.

Plenty of legit traps and options though, just involve forcing your opponent to commit before you do, which is easy.

NNID
Budget_Player
so if we ignore Ally, ADHD, and M2K, then MK should be banned.

That sounds silly.

Fix'd.

Without Ally and ADHD, we would be having these situations where MK is getting almost all of top 8 in every nationsl. Granted, to make this equation fair, we'd have to remove M2K, MikeHaze and DEHF from the picture, but look at top 8 results at nationals-it's ADHD, Ally, M2K, random MKs.

etecoon

Smash Hero
falcon beats everyone. you get distracted by his golden nipples and BAM, falcon punch'd

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
I'm skeptical. Not so sure if removing MK will remove planking from the game. GW's ability to plank looks really, really stupid.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Ally I won't be on that list dawg. I got no problems CGing a Falcon or playing gay. THEY might not know, but I know.

Turbo, put it this way. Do you think that G&W, with planking allowed completely, is top 5? If you don't think he is/would be top 5 if he was allowed to plank, then the discussion is instantly over since you would be hard pressed to ban something like that because a character who isn't even in the top 5 can abuse it.

People tell me all the time "Naw dawg, Pit and G&W are super broken when they plank" and then when we talk about ranking character WITH PLANKING ALLOWED, might I add, they rank these characters below top 8 even. Like, it's one thing if you feel the characters are stupid with planking allowed, and you say "Well I think they would be near the very very top", but it makes no sense to say "BAN THEM FROM GRABBING THE EDGE, IT'S TOO GOOD FOR THEM" if you originally don't even rank them that high lol.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm skeptical. Not so sure if removing MK will remove planking from the game. GW's ability to plank looks really, really stupid.

For having a supposedly broken strategy, G&W sure isn't very popular. He's easy to use, too!

G&W's planking has just been talked about, enver put into practice.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Actually Overswarm, Zac has planked people with G&W (albeit, characters who are vulnerable to his planking) in tournament.

Turbo, like I said earlier, I am asking you personally. I'm quite aware people don't/didn't try to abuse planking as much as they should have. Hell, not everyone abuses a top tier character like they should.

My question is, asking you specifically, do you think those characters (G&W and Pit) are top 5 characters if they are allowed to plank? If you say no, then there's no contest discussion over lol. If you say yes, then you can have a discussion about whether something needs to be done or not.

etecoon

Smash Hero
For having a supposedly broken strategy, G&W sure isn't very popular. He's easy to use, too!

G&W's planking has just been talked about, enver put into practice.
well, why bother when you can just do it with MK instead? there's no reason to try planking with GAW, pit, any other character that can supposedly ledge camp.

Gnes

Smash Master
MK's ability to plank is far greater than GW's.

You can stage spike or footstool and GW and he wont come back.

You can stage spike AND then footstool MK and he WILL come back.
uh...gaw planking isnt as easy to stop as u think...if u are stage spiking or lol footstooling him he isn't doing it correctly.

Whats cool is mk stops all planking ^_^, cept his own

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
You can stage spike or footstool and GW and he wont come back.
Really, easier said than done. You have to get through his high priority Nair, Uair that blows you away, and invincible UpB, in order to attempt this. The Nair and UpB can also stage spike you.

DMG: Yup, with Planking fully allowed, I could see G&W being top 5. Perhaps I am just ignorant of reliable ways to combat his planking.

Pit, i'm not so sure about.

etecoon

Smash Hero
DMG: Yup, with Planking fully allowed, I could see G&W being top 5. Perhaps I am just ignorant of reliable ways to combat his planking.
I could see it based on the planking itself but there's still the issue of getting a lead to begin with, this is something that MK is much more proficient at and makes him more dangerous. what good is stalling ability if you never get to use it?

I'd still have to think of GAW pretty highly with MK out of the picture and planking fully allowed though

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
I could see it based on the planking itself but there's still the issue of getting a lead to begin with, this is something that MK is much more proficient at and makes him more dangerous. what good is stalling ability if you never get to use it?

I'd still have to think of GAW pretty highly with MK out of the picture and planking fully allowed though
Although I was primarily discussing the planking itself, I still regard G&W as a formidable character, able to get a percent lead.

Invincible recovery moves + auto snap ledge + decreased gravity = stupid stupid stupid physics

Zozefup

Smash Lord
"M2K, Ally, and ADHD are outliers and don't represent the norm."

Our goal is to determine if MK is ban worthy at the highest level of play. And at the highest level of play, he is obviously not ban worthy at this point.

If your trying to ban him based on high level play (but not top), then that's just weird. But even if you disclude the "outliers", all other MKs still lose to Anther, Lain, Blue Rogue, Hunger, Atomsk, DEHF, TKD, Razer, Nick Riddle, Co18, mikehaze, meep, nynjalink.

*yay judge*

Maybe we should ban MK at tournaments where Ally, ADHD, DEHF, Nick Riddle, Mikehaze.... don't attend?

Zozefup

Smash Lord
DEHF is also an outlier, most of those people have also lost to sub top level MK's.
The "outliers" you want to dismiss are the ONLY people that matter.

We are trying to see if MK is banable at the highest level of play.

What MK does at lower levels of play is irrelevant.

Zozefup

Smash Lord
Dude, planking is BROKEN! Have you seen how bad MK can plank Falco?! That's why Falcos can never beat MKs.

....Oh wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom