• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official MBR 2010 NTSC Tier List

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Well I mean anyone can live their whole life experiencing things but not learning the lessons from them. I guess that's a big factor why some people are more successful than others?

odinNJ

Smash Lord
I have always thought that melee was about fun, and that if one is having fun, getting better is a side effect. I guess part of being a low tier main is lacking the "drive to win" i get better so that i can be competitive with good players, which is fun.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
I'm a low tier main, and I have a drive to win. Also, melee isn't all about experience, for example, I am one of the newest players in Oregon(definitely newest 10%) but can probably beat 50% of the competitive players.

Gamma: Consider this: Every decent player ever knows how to DI, playing with bads, you don't need to DI, because it isn't like they will punish it. . . play with good players. . . you will get destroyed and forced to learn DI. Also, punishes, your friends probably don't do it. . . it changes everything. . . If you p,lay a puff for example, and you use Bowser, you have to worry about getting rested. For example, if you roll into puff, you die. If you miss a smash, you die. If you miss a Bowser bomb, you die. If you use fire, you die. If you miss an aerial, you might die. You dash attack on a shield, you die. You smash a shield, you might die. You get hit by a U-tilt or U-air, you might die. Miss an L-cancel, you die. Edit: after messing around with a CPU Bowser, if you miss a dashgrab(Don't JC) you'll get rested. If you Jab me and I DI in, you'll get rested. I'm sure better Puffs can rest punish more more things on Bowser, the above is just what I can do. . . Hell, a good Puff can probably rest you out of jump, Bowsers 9 frame jump Gives puff 6 frames to jump, 1 frame to rest and 2 frames of window. . . That would be hilarious.

These rules apply to a lesser extent against every character.

Until you play actual* players, you won't improve your defensive game at all.
*-
By actual players, I mean players who know how to punish, understand DI, etc.

Edit: 200 posts, I'm a Smash Journeyman. Dope. . .

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I have always thought that melee was about fun, and that if one is having fun, getting better is a side effect. I guess part of being a low tier main is lacking the "drive to win" i get better so that i can be competitive with good players, which is fun.
Well I thought we naturally played this game for fun to begin with or with love. It is definitely needed to a strong degree if you want to continue on this road.. or any road for that matter.

E-102 Gamma

Smash Journeyman
If you miss a Bowser bomb, you die.
I don't use that move anyway. I realize it can be used to mix up recoveries, but I haven't practiced it, so it's currently too risky of a move for me to attempt.

Honestly, I think you underestimate me. I'm not good, but I'm not clueless, either. I've watched a ton of videos of the 'Bowser pros' (Gimpyfish, DJ Nintendo, WarriorKnight, CAOTIC, Gojira, MagnuM, etc.), making a point of it to understand what they're doing, how they're doing it, and why they're doing it. I know the Bowser theory to some extent or other. I just don't have the experience to actually use it to its full potential.

Bowser Vs. Puff is also a very extreme example. According to Gimpyfish, it's Bowser's worst matchup (DJ Nintendo disagrees, but whatever). Jigglypuff is hard to edgeguard, hard to space, and possesses good edgeguarding and gimping abilities, as well as a devastating punish in its down-B. 'Puff is at a rather large advantage in the matchup.

Btw, I've survived Rests before. Bowser is heavy enough that if he's at low enough percents (<20%?) and is in the right place on the right stage (PS and FD are big enough), the rest won't actually KO him. :b: With proper DI, he makes it back to Jigglypuff right about as it wakes up.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
I was the same way, and I could wreck all my friends, tell you theory left and right, tell you who I thought was good and why, tell you the results of the last big tournament, and I thought my Falco and Marth were really good.

When I played competitive I got 4 stocked by a super technical Fox in 1 minute.

Also, when you're fighting a puff, they will know when a rest will kill you. At low %s spacies can survive a rest with proper DI and if they are on a big stage/rested at a good location.

I once played a casual smasher who was a DK/ Bowser main, and he kept telling me he could probably beat me because he would always beat people, and one of his frat friends was good and taught him how to play. . . when I played him I 4 stocked his DK with Pichu and beat his Bowser by only using rest. He would so his same boring noob-killing moves, get read, miss and get punished. . .

I guess I can't force you to try playing competitive smash, but it is a shame that you won't considering how good of a location you are in for it. I drive to Portland once or twice a week for smash. :\

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Hey, if he doesn't want to play competitively, don't pressure him to do so.
He'll either get to that point of his own free will, or he'll quit before then.
Its what happens.

Vudujin

Smash Lord
Meta-game

If you aren't a part of it. You won't beat people. No matter how many videos you watch and scrubs you beat. It's arbitrarily based on current psychological exploits of winning strategies.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
8 hours sucks. . . I'm 7 hours from my girlfriend, is that worse? :p

Seriously though, 8 hours must suck.
I had a long distance relationship (5 hour /flight/) with a girl for 4 years until she decided to go cold shoulder passive-aggressive "I'm not angry" fallout modo.

So now I've concluded that I'm an unlovable piece of **** and have to go to anime conventions as the Morton Salt Girl because I'm just made of salt.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
I realized I didn't include that we go to the same college. In a week it won't be long distance anymore. Also, don't sound so sad Kink Link, there will one day be a Nana to your Popo. (That was bad, I know)

Also, I do see what you're saying Stevo, it happens far too often where people try to debase little things in an argument, not the point the other person is trying to convey. (I'm not saying in these boards in particular, but it happens here as well)

Zoler

Smash Ace
8 hours sucks. . . I'm 7 hours from my girlfriend, is that worse? :p

Seriously though, 8 hours must suck.
My ex lived in New Jersey and I live in Sweden, 8 hour flight at least. :p

Was together for a year and then I visited her for a week. Long distance suuuuckss.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
I'm just going to be that guy and say it, long distance means no sex. If I didn't get to see my girlfriend over 50% of the time, I would have to fix it. . . how are you people getting relationships so far away? 8 hour flight, how do you meet these people? (If you say online, I have no sympathy :p)

Also, the whole Popo and Nana thing. . . it isn't incest if it isn't sex, and oral sex isn't sex.

Suspicious loopholes? Yes.

Battlecow

Play to Win
"Relationship-wise, several fans believed them to be siblings, or even spouses, despite their young appearance, but according to Nintendo, the nature of their relationship is up to the player's imagination. However, during Melee's development, it was said that Sakurai wanted them to be lovers."

from smashwiki

Also, long distance is completely undoable.

cannedbread

Smash Lord
just to back up .vanir's statement, i read on smashwiki that roy was the slower, stronger version of marth.

that's ****ing wrong okay lol

E-102 Gamma

Smash Journeyman
I guess I can't force you to try playing competitive smash, but it is a shame that you won't considering how good of a location you are in for it. I drive to Portland once or twice a week for smash. :\
I fully intend to go to a smashfest or something someday. Can't see myself going to anything but the smallest of small-time tournaments until I get really good as a good character (or freaking amazing as Bowser).
I would love to start attending smashfests. I've just been hard pressed to find the time to. That, and I don't have anything better than a driver's permit, which complicates things. To get a driver's license, I'd need a job to pay for the car insurance, and this economy isn't doing me any favors in that regard... :glare:

I've already freely admitted that I'm not very good at this game compared to competitive players. I'm sure I would lose hopelessly to just about any competitive player who wouldn't just sandbag himself to death should he play me. I am not satisfied with my current metagame and would like to improve.

Btw, I don't actually live in downtown Portland. It's just the closest major city to where I live, being about a 1-hour drive away iirc.

Anywho, I can't help but to feel like I'm drawing attention to myself, which is something my experience on Facepunch has taught me not to do. This discussion also isn't very relevant to the topic of this thread, so if you'd like to continue this conversation, please do so via PM.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Haha, you don't get better by not playing.
You need to accept losses, we ALL have to deal with them.
You can't be scared of losing, if you want to improve, put yourself out there and become experienced, its hard at first, but you'll get there ^^

anyway, its not my place to tell you what to do, so if you feel that not playing is best....
And of course, car johns suck :(

Top Bottom