• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official MBR 2010 NTSC Tier List

Beat!

Smash Master
I think Marth beats Jiggs.

I also think he does better against Fox and Falco (the two most important matchups in the game), and that they do pretty much equally well against Falcon (slight advantage for both).

And Sheik is definitely worse than Marth and Jiggs in PAL. NTSC is where it gets tricky.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I think people sorely overrate how bad fox vs puff is. Its not a 70-30 match-up, for sure. From games at the highest level, it appears to be relatively even. Since fox is such an easy character to convert hits into stocks on, it may be easier than sheik vs marth.

As for puff vs marth, its all even on the ground, but off stage puff destroys marth. Marth doesn't have any kill options on puff besides random tips and hoping puff jumps into utilt

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Which is quite contrary to what a lot of people say about match-ups diverging at the highest level instead of my theory about all match-ups converging...

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
You can't really just say that match-ups "diverge" or "converge", thats too much of a blanket statement.

A match-up like Fox vs. Pichu is going to get even worse for the Pichu at higher level because the Pichu player is relying on his opponent's mistakes for most of his damage, his options are too limited to compete with Fox in any other way.

Ice Climbers vs. Peach, on the other hand, only gets better for ICs as Peach's strong separation tactics via nair/dsmash/etc... Become harder to land due to more solid play from the ICs player.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
You say that about pichu, but people thought the same think about pikachu vs fox until axe busted out. My hypothesis is that as players get better they learn the positive and negative scenarios; they learn how to avoid the negative ones and maximize the positive ones. Because players are actively avoiding their negatives while fishing for their positives, match-ups become a zero sum relationships (if nobody makes a mistake the result is a stalemate). On top of that, combos and damage output are being maximized so that in many match-ups a single hit can lead to death either directly or indirectly by exploiting positional advantage. Since both characters are equally capable of forcing a stalemate and have equal resource damage capability, the match-up converges to even. Match-ups that will not see this relationship are ones where there is some tactic with no counter (thus breaking zero sum) or where the hit-per-stock ratios are uneven.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Pichu is very different to Pikachu in terms of worth :p

I definitely hear what you're saying about everyone basically becoming a glass cannon at top level, I basically just think that those last two types of match-ups you listed (tactic with no counter and uneven hit-per-stock ratios) are more common than you think.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I think there is not an example of the former in the game of melee, though the latter does have examples. For example, puff has the ability to take one of peach's stocks from a single hit (rest) while peach is forced to chip away at puff. In this regard, I fully understand why Armada doesn't play peach against hungrybox. If puff on average used 3 first-hits to kill peach, but peach required 6, peach would literally have to play twice as well in order to win.

Bing

Smash Master
Roy COULD come close to a Fox at top level if the Roy was incredibly smart and good with tech chasing.

That and got a few d-tilt forward smashes in... those always help...

It winnable but like Vman said... hard

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Roy is probably 4th worst based on matchups (ICs, Peach, Ganon, Samus, Puff, Sheik...all very, very bad) but he has so many good traits (zoning, dashdance, chaingrabs) that hes often bumped up a few spots.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i think fox actually has the advantage against puff, or very close to even. i can't see puff having any advantage

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Sorry Vman, but as a Ganon main, I have to pledge my allegiance to Kage. Good luck, though.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Kage beat mango, but vman has dat potential. Just never look down on your character man. Always remember that a solution is there if you just look hard enough. Think outside the box ^^

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I imagine Vman's Roy is pretty good, and this'll be a lot closer than we think. I still think Kage's going to win, though. In my opinion, this match is going to help prove what Sveet was saying about Matchups converging at higher levels.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
20$ Best of 7, it is then! Are you going to FC-Legacy, Vman?

But then what if my outside the box thinking is stronger than most people.. there's no escape vs that fate!

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
^Yeah freaking that series is returning!!

I wouldn't miss it.

I'm looking forward to this match... and I'm not here to brag etc.. but I do feel Roy has got some potential, and I believe I can give a good set ^^

I hope, no, I know I can give a good set ^^

I'm down if Kage is down

Top Bottom