• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Link Question and Answer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasook

Smash Champion
I don't think there is one. Link's style is very character-specific. There's no one, set, safe approach.

What is a good way to approach with Link?
First of I usually only aproach noobs, I havent found many good opponents. But here is some general aproach stuff.

Dont DAC for aproach.

characters with worse spam:
dont aproach

big targets:
zair

small targets:
in these matchups spacing is really important, keep yourself at midrange as much as possible. also nair, bair and fair carefully for approach, dont jump directly into close combat (like metaknight), try to use bombs and rang to create openings. Use your range.

everyone at any occasion when distance is correct (hmm, maybe Im somewhat biased):
bombslide fthrow > utilt, dsmash, fsmash, zac fair/nair. this keeps your opponent guessing, I love it, it hasnt failed me yet(mostly play noobs though, but I think its waterproof safe). your opponent can either dodge the bomb and get hit by your attack or sheild the bomb where you have a free well spaced(against most characters) fair or they can do nothing and get hit by both bomb and attack.

to sum up: dont aproach if you dont have to and when you have to do it with care and do it with zair(hey, it rhymes).

Edit: Bombslide is not fair. And norfair is no fair.

D

Deleted member

sasook and lootic just failed

approach with bombs nairs, fairs, zairs and the GB

KgN_7

Smash Rookie
k thx and when against characters like diddy is their any good strategies

D

Deleted member

wait wut? I think I said that.
you basically told him to not approach

k thx and when against characters like diddy is their any good strategies
take control of their banana's
don't roll if you slip
if you know the fsmash is coming DI it
DI the dash attack so they can't follow it up with another attack.
watch for the barrel cancel because that does a lot of dmg
jab and fsmash to space

Swordplay

Smash Lord

LMAO

But....

OMG ROLF

*shrug*
Watching sasooks head blow up was amazing.

The real question is how do you define approach. Do you define it as going from a projectile game to a closer spacing game? Do you define it as just running into the fray and danger in hopes that your unexpected moves will be able to pull off some sweet combo?

Different people have different styles thus define approach slightly different. This inherently gives you different answers. That is the greatest weakness of this thread. SSBB is a style game and since everybody has their own style, it is near impossible to rule out opinion when you want a factual answer.

Sorry Sasook. But if you want I will give you a Popsicle to cool down that heated and confused mind of yours

Deva

Smash Lord
If you want to win you never approach with Link. The only thing even remotely close to approaching is spacing between spam intervals when your opponent approaches you, with the exeption of certain, very specific matchups.

D

Deleted member

For kicks name a few and how you approach those specific character.
Rob - I try to use platforms to advance while staying out of the angles he has with the laser and gyro. you can always tell if he's going to gyro you because he has to jump first. i usually have a bomb in my hand and I either use that or i zair to put him in his shield or to make him spot dodge

Flako - power shield dashing

Snake - there is no safe way to approach snake, you'll get ****ed up most of the time. try not to fight snake at long distance because you will lose, keep him at mid distance because you can still spam but approaching isn't impossible. i usually use bombs to "stun" him and then throw down the ravage combos after that. watch for tilts and explosions.

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
Q: What secondary characters best compliment Link, that is, which characters do well against Link's worst match-ups? (Other than that kirby/marth frankenstein that is metaknight) Give reasons, don't just throw out names.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Q: What secondary characters best compliment Link, that is, which characters do well against Link's worst match-ups? (Other than that kirby/marth frankenstein that is metaknight) Give reasons, don't just throw out names.
It may not complement Link but Ike plays VERY similar to Link. His long sword is almost like zair spacing. And he is full of jabs just like Link.

(My opinion) (I use marth and Ike to complement)

But in reality. ROB or Falco combined with Link look really good on paper. With ROB. Falco is your only weakness. With Falco G&W is kinda it.

sasook

Smash Champion
Ike plays similar to Link, yeah. Both use swords, both have KO power, both suck at recovering xD.

Umm.....well not that I like to flaunt but Ima say ZSS. She's similar to Link in that you need really precise spacing, and she's fun. Extremely comboey, a con is that she has hardly any KO ground moves. Her aerials ****. Oh, and she can't be CG'd. Let me repeat that.

She can't be CG'd.

Deva

Smash Lord
Actually Rob is only semi approach for me, so is Snake, for me it's more like

Sonic, Olimar (semi), falco, Fox (if they know how to camp), Wolf (for the same reason, although he's more in the semi category), Pit (also semi since it usually turns into a battle of bombs vs arrows)

Ony matchups you really HAVE to approach in are Sonic and Falco, Fox if they know how to effectively camp (aka ban FD). The others are semi approach, and everyone else is spam and space.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Ike does play a lot like Link. Sucky recovery move but good DI. :p My Ike needs work. But like Link, Ike uses a lot of Nair, and bair is amazing. Ike's Dtilt is much better than Link's, but used sparingly.

I use Ike in honor of Roy. It's as close as I can get.

D

Deleted member

Zelda because she has good match ups against all of links bad match ups....cept for MK....

she obliterates Rob, devastates Flako, destroys Kirby and ravages Fox

plus she's pure sex so there ya go

Bandit_Kieth

Smash Apprentice
would it be worth my time maining link for much longer? because i dont use projectiles to their potential, im mainly a close up smack the crap out of them type of player, i dont like to sit back and spam away it just doesnt suit my style.

and if it isnt who would you consider for me to play?

sasook

Smash Champion
would it be worth my time maining link for much longer? because i dont use projectiles to their potential, im mainly a close up smack the crap out of them type of player, i dont like to sit back and spam away it just doesnt suit my style.

and if it isnt who would you consider for me to play?
Nothing wrong with playing close range dude. I love playing close quarter combat myself. Also, don't get discouraged! Link has an insane learning curve, so don't feel bad. Plus, he's freakin' Link.

Deva

Smash Lord
at top levels of play, spacing becomes a large part of winning, and projectiles are a major component of the spacing tactic. Depends how far you plan on going with Link and to what degree of competitive play.

Bandit_Kieth

Smash Apprentice
i do use them, just not as much as i should really. and living in Western Aus.. there's hardly any competitive smash going on..

i'd love to have it here though

Deva

Smash Lord
In that case, unless you plan on leaving Australia for tournaments I'd suggest sticking with Link. Agressive gameplay shouldnt be too much of a problem, and yeah, its a lot more fun.

knightzy

Smash Journeyman
well,im a aussie link i suppose,i will ditto you when i get my wii back just give me a hoy and i will teach you some stuff.

Bandit_Kieth

Smash Apprentice
heh, thats a problem in itself, i dont have a wii.. i just go around my friends place as much as possible and brawl.

where abouts in aus are you from, i live 4 hours north of perth

In that case, unless you plan on leaving Australia for tournaments I'd suggest sticking with Link. Agressive gameplay shouldnt be too much of a problem, and yeah, its a lot more fun
i always play aggressive :p im not much of a person to wait for them to come at me

KgN_7

Smash Rookie
I have a question, when ledge hopping a Fair how do you get both hits in? Should I use the c-stick or is there a certain way of doing it?

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Mostly its about the timing of the fair. You have to let go of the edge and immediately press towards the stage and jump. Since you're already pressing toward the stage, you might as well just press A and not reach all the way down to the c-stick. Stick with A.
But you must do everything almost simultaneously to get both hits in. The second hit comes out around 2-5 frames before you hit the ground when done perfectly, so just note you need to hit A almost exactly the same time as you jump.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
I have a question, when ledge hopping a Fair how do you get both hits in? Should I use the c-stick or is there a certain way of doing it?
Personally, I prefer hitting down to get off the ledge vs away.

From there it's just a matter of doing your jump and Fair ASAP.

I guess if you look at my hands when I do a ledgehopped Fair, it kinda looks like a Soul Calibur move. lol. Hit down, roll the stick to which ever way is fowards, and I slide from X to A. Down+X = ledgehop and side+a gets your Fair going, just a matter of speed.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
No no no. Not on how to main Link! Lol
How to face him effectively as Peach lol. Like what should I do as a Peach main to defeat one. Thanks for any future advice ^.^

Im having a little trouble on campers who like to use Bombs, and all the other projectiles a lot. Also, his Dacus is pretty far so any tips on that? Should I play aggressive or defensive? Once again thanks.
Dair.

Then throw turnips offstage.

Dair.

Then throw turnips offstage.
then link dairs and you will say "wtf stop that, its not fair, link should die from projectile edgeguarding"

@KgN_7: YES,
bombslide fthrows > fsmash/dsmash/utilt/jab/fair/nair for nice aproaches, Bombslide to get to ledge for edgeguarding quicker. the reversed is a nice get away move, sasook is the man at this one. I prefer to retreat with zairs or rang instead(cause I rarely have space behind my back to make a reversed bombslide)

I also have a question: what do you do if you wnat to complain about a how a moderator does his job(no names, but you should know who Im talking about)?

and I will probably get banning points for this too, for something like "Plays link".

sasook

Smash Champion
the reversed is a nice get away move, sasook is the man at this one. I prefer to retreat with zairs or rang instead(cause I rarely have space behind my back to make a reversed bombslide)
I use them offensively, actually. Never to get away from the dude lol

KgN, bombsliding is really useful if you know how to use it. If you can't incorporate it properly, it's near useless, just like pivot boosting. Personally, I find it very useful.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Okay quick question.

Whats the deal with the B-throw. It usually throws the opponent diagonally back but there are times where it can throw them much more horizontal.

I don't think its DI. infarct I'm almost 100% sure its not DI. Do throws suffer stale moves or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom