• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Link Question and Answer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeTa

Smash Apprentice
Gotta hit the buttons close to the same time so you do it fast enough for the second hit to come out before it auto-cancels. Careful not to self destruct with it...
must be hard... :(

Well aren't you nice?! :p
Please?
well, read the guides.

could you be more precise with what you want to learn and how much you already know. Otherwise very basic tips are:

- Learn how to DI and recover(aka read the guides)
- Learn how to Fastfall(aka read the guides)
- Learn how to spam(aka read the guides)

you find the guides here:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=212523 (spam guide)

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=187670 (beginners guide)

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=194177 (long very into depth guide, the best character guide of whole brawlboards IMO)

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
No no no. Not on how to main Link! Lol
How to face him effectively as Peach lol. Like what should I do as a Peach main to defeat one. Thanks for any future advice ^.^

Im having a little trouble on campers who like to use Bombs, and all the other projectiles a lot. Also, his Dacus is pretty far so any tips on that? Should I play aggressive or defensive? Once again thanks.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
No no no. Not on how to main Link! Lol
How to face him effectively as Peach lol. Like what should I do as a Peach main to defeat one. Thanks for any future advice ^.^

Im having a little trouble on campers who like to use Bombs, and all the other projectiles a lot. Also, his Dacus is pretty far so any tips on that? Should I play aggressive or defensive? Once again thanks.
Silly air gemini! We aren't going to give you advice on that!

(But if I had to give you advice, it would be... never use your dsmash unless Link FFed a nair or fair-- you will get punished. Keep Link above you in the air, because as nasty as dair might be we'll be afraid to use it if we think you'll punish us for it. And to avoid spammers do your weird peachy floaty thing that drives us crazy [Drives me crazy anyway]

And some vids of Deva vs Praxis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6-I0G3FRbM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJdFQCNr7Kg - 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvMsdE8ZnB4 - 3)

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
Well the main problem I have is campers. His projectiles are hard for me to get by since I like to aerial approach a lot, they get in the way. Besides sheilding I dont know how to deal with them.

And arent you guys going to have to tell us Peach mainers anyways when we do our match up on you :p

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
And arent you guys going to have to tell us Peach mainers anyways when we do our match up on you :p
No, we don't really have to. :laugh:

Frankly, all Link can do against Peach is spam. Peach rocks Link in close combat. You'll just have to alter the height of your jumps, airdodge through projectiles, and then get back into the jump again if you want to approach us. You might also consider using your downb, double jumping to throw your turnip at us, then flying over our heads while we try to avoid the turnip and pouncing on us.
In any case your regular air approach is going to get you screwed. You're like a target hovering at one height above the battlefield screaming "shoot me! shoot me!"
So either switch your approach up or counterpick a stage like BF where there is little horizontal distance between you and Link.

@airgemini: why didnt you say so, then I have a advice for you, use metamindgamespam and SD three times in the first match then you CP norfair. otherwise read the guides, it will probably help you face link(especially the advanced guide).

@anonano: quite, dont say any more. dont tell them about our bad recovery.

mackman

Smash Cadet
all right, got a question. zair is great for lots of things because of its speed, reach and lack of landing lag. link uses it all the time. but how about for short characters, like pikachu or kirby? It's very hard to hit them with the zair unless they're already in the air as well. However, a quick-drawn arrow will probably hit them, interrupting whatever they're doing and giving link some breathing space. is the SHFF quick-draw ever a better option than the SHzair, or is the zair still better? sorry if this is addressed in the guide or somewhere else in the boards, i accept the flaming i will receive and admit that i am a noob if that is the case.

sasook

Smash Champion
If you can't space with zair, space with jabs and the boomerang, his other 2 amazing spacing tools.

D

Deleted member

all right, got a question. zair is great for lots of things because of its speed, reach and lack of landing lag. link uses it all the time. but how about for short characters, like pikachu or kirby?
space with jabs and the fsmash, you can also use it as an anti air if they're trying an aerial approach

is the SHFF quick-draw ever a better option than the SHzair, or is the zair still better?
never

@airgemini: if you can't beat link i'm worried about you

@mackman: to much ending lag on Bow. to little stun. to little combo ability. to little everything. fair, jab and rang is the spacers for small creatures that crawls around.

sasook said:
Yeah seriously, no one mention a word about turnip gimps. Seriously, keep it on the hush hush.
yes hush hush about links dair recovery too

DeTa

Smash Apprentice
LINK HAS A DAIR RECOVERY?! lol
better not tbe what I think it is... because it doesn't work too well

sasook

Smash Champion
Bouncing on projectiles with a dair = Link's dair recovery. Works exceptionally well on Pit's arrows (at least, I get the most distance from them moreso than other projectiles)

Swordplay

Smash Lord
A full week without internet. Reading each one of your posts will be enjoyable and painful. :D

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Sasook. I saw you post in the g&w forum that RC is a very good stage.

Maybe soo but not against g&w. That's the one stage you want to avoid. Abusive U-airs and his great air flexibility make him a perfect candidate for that stage. He will eat you.

Back to questions. Time to ask one of my own.

A lot of people have been discussing DIng down and away to zair recover at 110% and more. Since Legan has posted this, how many of you have tried this? Have you had great success? It sounded like a great idea to me at first. But I still had 1 question. can you still pull this off at such high percents? I thought you needed to hit the stage to be able to zair that quickly. Can you guys really get it off in time?

I do the zair whiplash before 70% but after that I start DI as usual, the reason is that I want to come back onto the stage fast before my opponent can corner me. Also we need a list of moves that we can zair recover. Its something that will take some time. I could make the testing.

Also yoshis Island(pipes) is a perfect stage to abuse this AT. Just keep to the left of your opponent when at high percentages.

And when they say "WHY CANT YOU JUST DIE?" you say "I just did, I DI:d down"
and at this point the person you are playing against will let go of his controller, fetch the wiimote and hit you in the head with it, leaving himself wide open. Finish him of quickly and then finish the metaknight ****.

*starts testing zair whiplash recovery*

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
I do the zair whiplash before 70% but after that I start DI as usual, the reason is that I want to come back onto the stage fast before my opponent can corner me. Also we need a list of moves that we can zair recover. Its something that will take some time. I could make the testing.

Also yoshis Island(pipes) is a perfect stage to abuse this AT. Just keep to the left of your opponent when at high percentages.

And when they say "WHY CANT YOU JUST DIE?" you say "I just did, I DI:d down"
and at this point the person you are playing against will let go of his controller, fetch the wiimote and hit you in the head with it, leaving himself wide open. Finish him of quickly and then finish the metaknight ****.

*starts testing zair whiplash recovery*
That just made my day

sasook

Smash Champion
Ah ok Swordplay, I didn't know G&W was better there.

For the whiplash recovery, I find it really hard =(

The one thing I don't like about it is if you miss.....you know what happens.

At least with momentum canceling you can pull a bomb...as a backup plan in case you don't make it. Sure the bomb might not explode, but at least there's a chance. With the zair one..there IS no backup plan.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
My friend and I found something weird with Link a while back.

Please don't flame me if this was discovered, lol. I don't really have the time to go through all the stickies and such right now...

Anyway, it was just a friendly, my bro was Diddy and my friend was Link.
Link throws the Gale bommerang, past Diddy, and Diddy grabs him.
As he performs the up throw, the boomerang comes back and pushes Link out of the throw while he's being hit.

Whut?

It get's better. Not only is Link out of the throw, Diddy is FROZEN in that Uthrow position.

I know the Gale boomerang is bizarre and you guys already know a lot about it...but this was really trippy.
Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I actually have the replay saved too, so if someone wants me to send it to their Wii, just let me know. Unless of course you guys already know about this, then nevermind. lol

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
Yeah we already knew, but this is the perfect place for you to have posted. At least you didn't make a new thread. Also, there should already be a vid of this on youtube, unless it got deleted.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Yeah we already knew, but this is the perfect place for you to have posted. At least you didn't make a new thread. Also, there should already be a vid of this on youtube, unless it got deleted.
Yeah, I figured as much that you guys would know this. No worries, I wouldn't make a new thread about something I thought was "new", I would read the stickies...but since I was too lazy to read the stickies I just figured I'd ask hear, lol.

Thanks again though for responding. What does this thing go by, like what name? So if I wanted to search it up.

:093:

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
Any tips vs pika?
I'll mention two quick important ones:
-DI out of his dsmash
-Avoid his thunder (try not to fly straight up when hit, don't recover onto the stage over his head if you can avoid it, and grab the edge with the chain)

@camalange: try boomerang glitch diddy or something.

D

Deleted member

use a lot of bomb, ALWAYS DI the up tilt (its a great way to set up for the down B) if you don't have to momentum cancel a move DON'T, they'll catch you with the thunder when you should have air dodged. if you don't know how to DI out of the dsmash learn. space with jabs fsmash and zair. edge guarding is mainly about guessing, take note of your opponent's recovery habits and punish them for it.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Arkive. I heard you faced Stealth. That's who I'm gonna be going up against.

I feel like I have faced almost every character in this game except Pika and Jiggs. Gonna be fun

EDIT:

THE FAQ IS NOW UP TO DATE!!!!!!

D

Deleted member

yea i've been playing steatlh a lot lately, he's beast with pika

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
I was playing this guy yesterday and I ***** his Diddy, Link & Zelda but when he took out Olimar he two stocked me without much trouble. How do you fight Olimars effectively? Arkive I know you're good friends with Fino. How do you fight that little guy? All his attacks look the same except his ballerina twirl of gay. I also noticed they like never move. . .

Soldner Kei

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoldnerKei
I have heard that nair makes wonders on Olimar and his freaking pikmins, but i have never play against a good olimar... so nevermind what i say <_<

I have a question, sometimes when i use dsmash and get hit by my opponent, Link still does the dsmash taking the damage and stuff, sooo.... it is the priority of the attack, SA frames or just the buffer system thingy that i have heard?

sasook

Smash Champion
I was playing this guy yesterday and I ***** his Diddy, Link & Zelda but when he took out Olimar he two stocked me without much trouble. How do you fight Olimars effectively? Arkive I know you're good friends with Fino. How do you fight that little guy? All his attacks look the same except his ballerina twirl of gay. I also noticed they like never move. . .
SH FF nair -> jab cancel dsmash works pretty well. Jab combos work well too I think, and don't be afraid of your fsmash.

Oli's uair will go through your dair, just so you know. Rack up damage with bombs, close range is risky because of Oli's amazing grab game. Also, if you get pikmin stuck on you, beat them off with jabs. Those little dudes actually decay your moves, so don't waste a full fsmash to get them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom