• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Link Question and Answer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
READ THE RULES PRIOR TO POSTING

Part 1: Announcements
Part 2: Rules
Part 3: FAQ​

Announcements

A Smash Lab as been created. It is currently undergoing developmemnt and in the process of finding "researchers." Researchers will be people that have a Cyan name. They research really advanced things like frame data and questions that elude even smash pros.

If you think you have something that needs researching this is a great place to go. If you have questions pertaining to Link that nobody knows, it is probably because nobody has done any research has been done on it. In this case, I will ask a researcher to find out the information for you and post the answer to your question right here for all to see.

However, you are more than welcome to go there by yourself and ask those very obscure questions that need researching. Here are the links.

Tactical Discussion Version Link

General Discussion Version Link

Rules for posting. There are over a dozen. read them all.

1. Post here if you have a question. Be as specific as possible.

2. If you are unsure if something has been found post here before creating a new thread.

3. If you need help with anything from beating a certain character to performing an AT, post here

4. No flaming will be tolerated. Many useless questions may be asked but they are more than welcome here than in an entirely new thread.

5. Link players will respond in a timely matter with great answers that will address the specific question asked. If the question or discovery has been previously answered in an important and up to date thread, we reserve the right to redirect you to that thread where the answer is located.

6. Questions will be answered with some substance and detail to help the questionnaire understand why that answer is the correct answer to his or her question.

7. More than one question is allowed at one time. The Link boards will do their best to cover all questions asked as according to the rules.

8. Debates between responders are acceptable and arguing is not. Know the difference.

9. If to people have the same question at the same time or at different times. we will do our best to address each individual person and their situation.

10. Do not post the same question over and over if you are the same person. Learn from the answers we give you and improve. If you have a different question, you are more than welcome to come back and ask.

11. Trust our knowledge. If you ask a question you will get a great and correct answer from good Link players, We know Link better than you do so trust that our answer is correct.

12. It is recommended you quote the person you are responding to.

13. Only respond if you know the answer.

14. Link players have lives. We are sorry if we cannot answer your question right away. We will get to it as soon as possible. Even if we have to research.

15. If all else fails, you always have the search forum. http://www.smashboards.com/search.php

16. You can also check out the FAQ. Just scroll down.

17. These are not permanent rules. Should the rules need editing, I will do so if enough people petition for it.

Frequently Asked Questions and Answers

Question

Is there such a thing as a stupid question

Answer
There are no stupid questions in The Official Link Question and Answer Thread.

Question

Where can I find out more about Link techniques?

Answer

Try this thread. It is the official common knowledge database for Link.
Official Basic Knowledge Link Guide

Question

How do I jab cancel.

Answer

There are two ways to jab cancel. The first way is to let the jab animation end and put in another another command. The second way is to have another animation override the jab animation. The most popular example of this is crouching. Crouching is an animation that will cancel the string of jabs allowing you to restart your jabs or do something else.

For more depth on this topic please check this out. It came from one of the guides. Basics of Link the Jab Cancel

Question

Links recovery sucks and I die a lot. How do you DI properly to avoid this?

Answer

Watch this video

Question

How do I perform Bomb slides? How do I make them go in the different directions: up, down, and forward?

Answer
If you perform a perfect bomb slide then Hitting up Z will make you throw the bomb up. Hitting diagonally forward up and Z makes you throw the bomb forwards. Hitting Diagonally up and back will make you throw the bomb backwards. If you perform a fake out bomb slide, the bomb will always go forwards. Keep in mind The timings are different from a true bomb slide and a fake out.
This video explains everything you need to know about Bomb sliding. Helpful Bombsliding Video

For advanced information on bombsliding you can check this out. Sasooks guide The Basics of Link Bombsliding

Question
How can i do the DAC with wii mote and nunchuk

Answer

That thread discusses numerous ways as well as the best way to DAC with your wiichuck. Bomb slides are the same thing as DAC except with a bomb. If you can do 1 with practice you can do the other. They are virtually the same thing.

Question

What are Links best and worst stages?

Answer

:link2: Link
Best: Rainbow Cruise, Norfair
Worst: Frigate Orpheon

Question
I play Toon Link and I was wondering if there were any things that make Link a lot better than Toon Link which I could use? I like Link but I have problems using him.

Answer
Only difference between link and TL you need to know

TL mains are gay
Link mains are hella baller

'nuff said

From SmashWiki

If this violates any Rules and need to be taken down PM me. Otherwise this stays up due to popular demand.

PokemonMaster

Smash Cadet
Allow me to throw in the first question.

This has to do with Link's DI using his clawshot.
Example of what I'm talking about can be seen in Izaw's video where he was able to grab the edge as he DI'd down against Fox's Dsmash at 300%.

Question is, what are other specific character atks this move would be useful against if you see it coming?

4Serial

Smash Lord
kirby's b-air, kirby's f-smash, gaw's d-smash, jigg's d-smash, ddd's b-air, any meteor smash, TL's n-air and f-air, mk's d-air, d-smash, all throws that move you off the edge, lucas' f-air

i dunno, there's a lot of moves that send you very horizontally and even more if you DI or smash DI downwards.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Allow me to throw in the first question.

This has to do with Link's DI using his clawshot.
Example of what I'm talking about can be seen in Izaw's video where he was able to grab the edge as he DI'd down against Fox's Dsmash at 300%.

Question is, what are other specific character atks this move would be useful against if you see it coming?
GOOD QUESTION

Unfortunately, this technique is extremely limited.

I will say this first. You can do this to many moves. Marths D-tilt. Ivysaurs F-tilt. at extremely high percents. I'm talkin like 500% high

However at this point you are probably already dead.

By the way. You joined april and this is your first post? I smell SBR members.

There are also moves where you can do this at extremly low percents, A lot of D-smashes and D-Tilts will send you more horizontally. However at higher percents the angle of trajectory becomes more up. And you can't do it.

You can do them at lower percents as I mentioned earlier but why would you want to when you could recovery in a normal better, not to mention easier way.

This leads to a very rare list of moves that this tecnique is useful for.

Fox's D-Smash
Falco's D-smash
Jigg's D-smash

Yea....As you can see Mostly D-smashs there are others but they are only useful withing a limted amount of percent.

Some have less limted range such as

Game and Watch D-smash
Kirby's D-smash (I don't think its F-smash serial....just tested)
There are others.

Some have extremely limited range such as

Wario's D-smash only really useful at around 150%
Wolfs D-Smash is another good example as sasook mentioned below.

There are others as well but it is a long list

Now it is possible to to this on some moves that have a multi hit attack. This allows you to not only regular DI, but SDI way better and you might be able to pull this off.

A good example of this is charzards F-air while you are on the ground.

You can do this against gimp areals to such as T-link Bair, Kirby's Bair, DDD's Bair

Get the idea????

If you want me to compile a list of these types of attacks, please feel free to post a request and somebody will get back to you shortly.

By the way, you joined april 2007 and this is your first post? I smell SBR members. You guyz are planning the next SBR weekly character discussion arn't you.....

sasook

Smash Champion
Just wanna add to Swordplay's list, I'll say Wolf's dsmash and Toon Link's dsmash at low percents.

❀W.E.M.P.❀

Mote Of Dust
Hope this question is alright for this thread :B

I usually train/practice/play atleast two hours aday, usually each type stacks two hours ( train/practice/play), everyday and am noticing great improvement. My question is how long do you guys train a day, I am guessing being as you are already good you guys don't do the same AT training as me or anything, so mors specifically, when you guys were still getting good to become recognised players, how long and often did you practice?

Swordplay

Smash Lord
@sasook

1st I don't think T-Links sends you horizontally.

2nd at lower percents this works for many moves but you don't have to DI zair. You can just recover normally so It's not very useful even though it may work.

3rd I appreciate you input. ALL OF YOU.

KEEP EM COMIN!!!!!

I usually train/practice/play atleast two hours aday, usually each type stacks two hours ( train/practice/play), everyday and am noticing great improvement. My question is how long do you guys train a day, I am guessing being as you are already good you guys don't do the same AT training as me or anything, so mors specifically, when you guys were still getting good to become recognised players, how long and often did you practice?
GOOD QUESTION

2 hours is a lot but that is a good start. I practice a little bit every day.

When you get good, you can cut back on your training but you must train consistently. Don't ever stop training. If you are like me, you realize Link is not the greatest of all characters. A secondary is required sometimes. This results in needing even more training.

If your going to main Link here are a few suggestions.

Take 10-15 mins everyday and play against random level 7 computers. Level 9 computers have impossible reaciton time so level 7 is the closest thing to a human even though he is inferior. After you set this up, you are going to **** that level 7. Practice combo's all day on that level 7. Make sure you 3 stock him every time and that you can do your combo's consistently. Pull off these huge combo's and rack like 40% on them instantly and worry less about AT's. While AT's are important (extremly important) Comboing at lower percents is much more important. At higher percents is when you switch to your AT stuff. That is how you should train once you get good. At least that is what I do.

If you decide to main a secondary, you may need to double that.

After you do that, take what you have learned and refreshed and apply it in a match, regardless of whether it is online or not, you need to keep your skillz fresh.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
I think GnW's move sends you up. It is the dumb hammer move that he can spam over and over. That does vertical knock offs most of the time, so... I think you are wrong on that one.

Jigg's dsmash, Falco's dsmash, Fox's dsmash, umm just watch the trajectory, if it doesn't seem very obvious that you can use it, than you probably can't. You are better off just holding <<< and using an air dodge to help your stage recovery. For the most part, I generally do not die from the lack of recovery b/c I do that.
DIing correctly with Link is key. Get used to not fast falling and saving your jumps till the very end and try to sweetspot the ledge. But, if that gets to predictable they are going to gimp you, so do that for the most part, but get ready to mix it up, because Link can get gimped pretty freaking easy. I generally try hitting them with a fair if they are coming with an aerial or a dair, but that is kind of risky given the chance of fast falling to your death, same goes for trying to pull a bomb. If the Fair isn't working for you for w/e reason then try hitting them with a gale instead.

But yea, I wouldn't rely on the uber Izaw grab trick so much, as cool as it looks, it is only really practical on like 3 characters.

sasook

Smash Champion

I just play online at a site I'm part of, it's good enough for me. I don't even practice every day. AT training is good, very good, and I just practice that in training, then try it out in matches. At first, when I was still learning Link and I didn't know any AT's, though I'm not a recognized player at all, I used to practice about 2-3 hours a day, just playing level 9s. Even though playing humans is much better than playing cpus, for both your experience and training.

@sasook

1st I don't think T-Links sends you horizontally.
At low percents, it has a high amount of horizontal knockback. Once your damage goes up, it'll send you upwards. But the next quote kind of leaves doing this type of recovery against TL pointless.

2nd at lower percents this works for many moves but you don't have to DI zair. You can just recover normally so It's not very useful even though it may work.
^this, you are completely right.

ArdeS

Smash Journeyman
A suggestion to you Swordplay, so that viewers of the thread can have an easier time finding the Q&As: put them into your original post? I know it's more work on your part, but just an idea for ya. :)

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Maybe.....

I don't mind if they ask the same question over and over as long as they are posting it here. It stops spam.

That suggestion is a great idea but if they are going to take the time to find a specific question and a specific answer to that question, they mine as well use the search forum.

If they are using the search forum why come here?

If it gets bad I'll do that but for now there is no need to

Also I was very smart in creating the rules. Read rule 5. We can redirect them to threads that have answers if it gets bad.

but I want to make it as simple as possible for them so I won't try to redirect that often

I will even create a FAQ and ANSWER part soon!!!!!

That should solve any future problems....This will be a GREAT THREAD!!!!!

ArdeS

Smash Journeyman
Practicing against a CPU will NEVER equal practice against a real player in my opinion. Humans have different play styles, can adapt to situations, etc. Computers in Brawl will only train you to a certain point. If you want REAL practice, humans will almost always be better.

But don't get me wrong; CPUs aren't completely uselss. I suppose they can be useful for combo and AT practice like you mentioned. But again, trying those ATs in a real fight is how you will integrate it into your regular gameplay.

Hope this was helpful! :)

Swordplay

Smash Lord
I got question

mmmm, can practicing with the cpu be as good as practicing with human or cpu only good to practice combo and at's? why
Great Question

CPUs will never compensate for a human

But they do move and attack which forces you to make your combo's and AT's more precise. That is the only value they hold. Take advantage of it.

lilmister

Smash Apprentice
Thanks a lot , one more thing. What is the best cpu level to practice? (I always train on level 9)
I think it was already answered by Swordplay previously:

If your going to main Link here are a few suggestions.

Take 10-15 mins everyday and play against random level 7 computers. Level 9 computers have impossible reaciton time so level 7 is the closest thing to a human even though he is inferior. After you set this up, you are going to **** that level 7. Practice combo's all day on that level 7. Make sure you 3 stock him every time and that you can do your combo's consistently. Pull off these huge combo's and rack like 40% on them instantly and worry less about AT's. While AT's are important (extremly important) Comboing at lower percents is much more important. At higher percents is when you switch to your AT stuff. That is how you should train once you get good. At least that is what I do.

If you decide to main a secondary, you may need to double that.

After you do that, take what you have learned and refreshed and apply it in a match, regardless of whether it is online or not, you need to keep your skillz fresh.
So yeah level 7s would be best as they seem to be the best level to practice combos and ATs...level 9s are wtf lol :psycho:
Hope that helps

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
I really like this thread, great job Swordplay. I can already see that this has at least eliminated one or two useless threads.

If I may, I'd like to suggest putting "read here before posting" in the title.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Sticky this please! I have a question.

How do you do perfect bombslides? Whenever I do up on the Cstick, it throws up when I want it to go forward. How do I make it go forward?

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546

How do you do perfect bombslides? Whenever I do up on the Cstick, it throws up when I want it to go forward. How do I make it go forward?
Time yourself. When you know that the bomb's about to be thrown by Link, preform the other steps of DAC from thier as fast as possible.

PokemonMaster

Smash Cadet
Along the lines of bombsliding mentiond above.
I can do the forward bombsliding alrite.
But I seen some videos of backwards bombsliding.

Where it seems they slide backwards while still facing forward allowing them to backslide out of a dash atk and throw the bomb.

How are they achieving this?

GOOD QUESTION

You dont need to move the controlstick up in order to fthrow bombslide, just keep the control stick in position and then make your button input(C-stick down + Z). Moving control stick up only helps you if you want to Uthrow or make Uthrow fake-out, If you want to make Rthrows(reversed) you dont need to move control stick up either just move it straight to the opposite direction at same timing as for Uthrows. Also you can make Jump canceled bombs instead if you think its hard to bombslide. you dont slide much, but you can throw all the "idle" animation throws.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Thanks guys :D That was kind of the begining of the end of "OMG I CAN DAC WIT BOMBZ!" threads. So has anyone PMed for this to be stickied yet? lol

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
I have a question.

How does one fight a good G&W?

I had never fought one before the other day and I got wrecked because I really didn't know what to expect.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer

Please check the Match Up guide provided by Bouse. We covered the match up quite well so check it out. :D

4Serial

Smash Lord
bombsliding is a lot more consistent with tap jump off.

for the question about z-air recovering, GaW's d-smash and Kirby's f-smash can send you very horizontally. A lot of the moves in the game can if they hit you with the part of the move that send you in that trajectory. Oh, Zelda's d-smash is a killer. Just go for the z-air recovery against anything near the edge at a high percent :p

Honestly, look for real players to play against. Don't go to computers unless you're just bored and playing around. Try your hardest to look for a community in your area, which I'm sure there will be. You just have to look hard enough. Look in the regional boards, and if there isn't one, make one. People will come. If all fails... go to Wifi...........

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Wi-Fi should really only be used to learn match ups (hopefully, lag free). That's how I got A LOT better over the summer. All is Brawl is a good place for Wi-Fi matches and using the ladders is pretty fun. But I'm talking so well about Wi-Fi. Really, the very best way to get better is live matches. That's the only way @_@ Like next year in school for me. Me and Atire are starting a Smash club. That means plenty of live matches every week! Plus tourneys every month. Seeing how most of the people at my school suck, I should come in the top ten with Link. :D So wish me luck for next year.

And the moral of the story is: Don't do drugs. (and by that I mean live matches are the best way to practice, Wi-Fi is ok.)

sasook

Smash Champion
Time yourself. When you know that the bomb's about to be thrown by Link, preform the other steps of DAC from thier as fast as possible.
What Ray Kalm said, plus turn off tap jump.

Where it seems they slide backwards while still facing forward allowing them to backslide out of a dash atk and throw the bomb.

Dash -> C stick down -> backwards + slightly up Z

Here's a vid of me doing it pretty consistently: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8yXMgN9SZU

GOOD QUESTION

You dont need to move the controlstick up in order to fthrow bombslide, just keep the control stick in position and then make your button input(C-stick down + Z). Moving control stick up only helps you if you want to Uthrow or make Uthrow fake-out, If you want to make Rthrows(reversed) you dont need to move control stick up either just move it straight to the opposite direction at same timing as for Uthrows. Also you can make Jump canceled bombs instead if you think its hard to bombslide. you dont slide much, but you can throw all the "idle" animation throws.
You do need to move it very, very slightly upwards (I made a friend watch my fingers, as well as record the vid on my cell phone for confirmation). But essentially, it really doesn't feel as if you press up. It's more sideways than up, but still slightly up. And I've already proved I can bombslide consistently lol.

Swordplay

Smash Lord

If you perform a perfect bomb slide then Hitting up Z will make you throw the bomb up. Hitting diagonally forward up and Z makes you throw the bomb forwards. Hitting Diagonally up and back will make you throw the bomb backwards. If you perform a fake out bomb slide, the bomb will always go forwards. Keep in mind The timings are different from a true bomb slide and a fake out.

I decided to add this question to the FAQ as multiple people have asked. I also put up a good bombslide video.

lilmister

Smash Apprentice
If you set your c-stick to specials (therefore b-sticking) would it be possible to do a charged up+b by b-sticking?

If it's possible are you able to do a charged up+b (or an uncharged up+b) when doing a pivot boost?

Swordplay

Smash Lord
If you set your c-stick to specials (therefore b-sticking) would it be possible to do a charged up+b by b-sticking?

If it's possible are you able to do a charged up+b (or an uncharged up+b) when doing a pivot boost?
Yes. Unfortunately holding up on the b-stick will only do a regularly charged up be.

To do a charged up b on the b-stick, you must smash the b-stick up and hold a specials button.

You cannot do a a spin attack (up b) during a pivot boost but you can pivot boost into one. You can pivot boost into anything.

lilmister

Smash Apprentice
Yes. Unfortunately holding up on the b-stick will only do a regularly charged up be.

To do a charged up b on the b-stick, you must smash the b-stick up and hold a specials button.

You cannot do a a spin attack (up b) during a pivot boost but you can pivot boost into one. You can pivot boost into anything.
oh k..that sucks...and i was hoping I could try something with it
O well

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Sorry. But do not be discouraged.

for 1. I appreciate you posting your question in this thread.

2. Pivot boosting into a spin attack could be really surprising. Its not unheard of and can up to a real surprise. So many people anticipate a f-tilt out of a pivot boost so they attempt to powershield that. If you do a spin attack, you may be able to hit them before they get their shield up.

It was a good idea. give more props for yourself. But sorry as for what you thought you might be able to do, you can't.

Forlin

Smash Cadet
I've read guides and asked some people but I get different responses sooo...
When doing a Jab Cancel, what do you hit, if anything, to cancel your 2nd/3rd hit? Back? Down? A combo of the two? Do nothing but pause a moment in between the jab and the alt. atrack you wanna use?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I've read guides and asked some people but I get different responses sooo...
When doing a Jab Cancel, what do you hit, if anything, to cancel your 2nd/3rd hit? Back? Down? A combo of the two? Do nothing but pause a moment in between the jab and the alt. atrack you wanna use?
You crouch to jab cancel, which allows you to do more jabs, or grab

If you're talking about NintenJoe's Guide or Izzaw's Instructional Video where you do two jabs then do another attack, that's not actually jab canceling. That's just delaying the combo so you can use another attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom