• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Link Question and Answer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt07

Smash Master
Haha, not WoW :psycho:, that game is so crazy addicting.

Oh it was last week, wonder why they just put it up today xD.

Haha, wow you own Metaknight's, did you 3 stock him on Norfair?

With Golden Sun music playing?

Deva

Smash Lord
It was almost a 3 stock, on FD actually lol. He banned Norfair. . .everyone that knows me always bans that stage xD. He only plays Falco against me now. He prefers CG-dair gimp >_>. It was pretty epic though. Everyone watching was like o_0. . .did he just?. . . =P

His MK rarely loses, since he almost always places 1st. So against my Link it was his worst loss with his MK ever lol. I guess it's kind of a compliment being the only player he cps against with Falco. Even then, it's hilarious to think he cps to not use MK against Link xD.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
okay i have a question. ill state the fact right now that i do play link fairly well, i dont main him so i dont wander around the link boards all that much. So idk if it was discussed already. But i was wondering about a combo possibility.

Zair>dthrow>boomerange>Jab Lock> Spin Attack

shadyf0o

Smash Journeyman
Time to bring this back on topic with a question. lol jk

Question. What do you guys z air with? shield + a or just z?

Swordplay

Smash Lord

you can zair right out of an airdodge. There is no reason I see for not shielding (air dodging) first then zair this goes for with or without bombs.

Only time you would use zair without airdodge if you are going to a specific timing. You'll do this a lot when your trying to hit smaller targets.

Therefore, it all depends on the situation in the end.

okay i have a question. ill state the fact right now that i do play link fairly well, i dont main him so i dont wander around the link boards all that much. So idk if it was discussed already. But i was wondering about a combo possibility.

Zair>dthrow>boomerange>Jab Lock> Spin Attack
main problem is the boomerang and linking the combo together

Zair>dthrow works.

Zair auto cancels so you can go and grab right away. follow up with the D-throw.

Jab Lock>Spin attack always works. We've seen this plenty of times.

boomerang>jab lock
The boomerang is the hard part. for 2 reasons.

1. They can always tech and thus the combo fails
2. There is only a 50% chance they will flop so you can lock.

If you can get bast these then Boomerang>jab lock will work.

Now. D-throw>boomerang is possible but difficult to do....Unfortunatly you can only do this in the right cricumstances.

It varies for each percent and so you cannot always pull it off.
Further more. Certain characters like ZSS have quick moves (down special) to get out of this.
Ontop of that. This is not melee. D-throw does not have the amazing hitstun that it did in melee. Thus, at higher percents opponents can DI.

To end it all, Like most Link combo's this works best at lower percents.
If you can get by all of those problems. Yea, its a good combo. But the difficulty is crazy. Good luck with that.

sasook

Smash Champion
I only use Z. I completely fail when trying to use L/R + A. So yeah, bombzairing never works for me.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
I've got another question. I want to contribute to this board but I'm not sure how to... Any advice would be appreciated.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
you can zair right out of an airdodge. There is no reason I see for not shielding (air dodging) first then zair this goes for with or without bombs.

Only time you would use zair without airdodge if you are going to a specific timing. You'll do this a lot when your trying to hit smaller targets.

Therefore, it all depends on the situation in the end.

main problem is the boomerang and linking the combo together

Zair>dthrow works.

Zair auto cancels so you can go and grab right away. follow up with the D-throw.

Jab Lock>Spin attack always works. We've seen this plenty of times.

boomerang>jab lock
The boomerang is the hard part. for 2 reasons.

1. They can always tech and thus the combo fails
2. There is only a 50% chance they will flop so you can lock.

If you can get bast these then Boomerang>jab lock will work.

Now. D-throw>boomerang is possible but difficult to do....Unfortunatly you can only do this in the right cricumstances.

It varies for each percent and so you cannot always pull it off.
Further more. Certain characters like ZSS have quick moves (down special) to get out of this.
Ontop of that. This is not melee. D-throw does not have the amazing hitstun that it did in melee. Thus, at higher percents opponents can DI.

To end it all, Like most Link combo's this works best at lower percents.
If you can get by all of those problems. Yea, its a good combo. But the difficulty is crazy. Good luck with that.

Yeah ive playing around in training mode cause i was bored. Out of the people i tested it on, it only worked on bowser, and D3. And it only seems to work best when starting at 0%. But i did use it against bowser and end up doing 0-77% damage going across the stage of FD.

Ive done a regular boomerang to jab lock in a match before. But its always so hard to set up and having them at the right distance so u can actually reach them if they wobble. I figured the dthrow puts them in the perfect distance from u to initiated the boomerang>jab lock, but the boomerang might have too much start up lag. I only see it working on someone who doesnt see it coming.

Ill just keep this as a possibility in the back of my mind if i ever see an opportunity during a match. Maybe a good link player could try this out on some people.

_Saint_

Smash Apprentice

I just use Z whenever I zair. It's faster than pressing L/R+A. The only time I use L/R+A is when I'm holding a bomb so I don't lose it.

~Saint~

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I've got another question. I want to contribute to this board but I'm not sure how to... Any advice would be appreciated.
A couple of ways here.
1) Post in threads. Even if you end up TOTALLY WRONG, we (who am I to be saying, "we"? "The SMART people") will make sure to correct you. Don't take it personally; just take the advice or criticism to heart and move on to post in another thread.
I've been called a "care bear" and told "**** you" while trying to learn the ropes, so again don't take it personally; just post your opinions!
2) Post a couple of vids of yourself in the Video Archive thread, or start a new thread on receiving criticism for your playing; this way you can get yourself out to everyone and everyone will know how to help you improve... they will also respect your advice on things you understand well.
If you don't know how to get some vids up, check the "I Record your Replays" thread made by Oddler. He's the guy who's gotten me all my vids on Youtube.

I had a 3rd one, but I forgot it, so oh well. :laugh:

I just use Z whenever I zair. It's faster than pressing L/R+A. The only time I use L/R+A is when I'm holding a bomb so I don't lose it.

~Saint~
I find there is a fine difference between Z and L+A. For me, Z seems to be the button to use and most of the cast, especially large characters. L+A seems to work best on smaller characters. It's all about the timing of when it comes out for me, I suppose. Only use L+A when you have a bomb, otherwise your timing gets messed up.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
at Ryos4.

Try this at low percents against larger characters.

Against larger characters, you can actually do a rising nair and as they fall to the ground from a D-throw. This will make them automatically flop and if they do not tech it will set up a jab lock opportunity.

EDIT: Tested on DK in training mode

If you are not facing a larger character then from the D-throw just to a bair into a reverse arrow cancel or another bair.

_Saint_

Smash Apprentice
Question.
I find it difficult to start or continue combos when the enemy's damage percentage gets high. The knockback from my attacks sends them too far away from me to be able to continue my combo. I need suggestions on how to fix this problem.

~Saint~

sasook

Smash Champion
You KO them. That way, their percent is back to 0, and you can combo all over again.

Seriously, I'm not joking, once their percent is high enough, just finish them. Link's not the only character in which he can hit one attack at a time because percents are too high.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Link's not the only character in which he can hit one attack at a time because percents are too high.
*cough* Ike *cough* Well except if you enjoy Jab combos into nothing. XD I have a question.

Can Zair actually do enough knockback to kill at high percents? It probably does but what percents? It would be fun to watch my Clawshot fly at my opponents head and kill them.

sasook

Smash Champion
500%......

The reason WHY we love the zair (besides spacing, auto-canceling, comboing) is because it has almost no knockback lol.

sasook

Smash Champion
DI perfectly.

Honestly, Link has a terrible recovery. Alternate recovery methods have been searched for and seeked by Link players from day 1. The best answer is to DI perfectly so you don't die before -at least- 130%.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
500%......

The reason WHY we love the zair (besides spacing, auto-canceling, comboing) is because it has almost no knockback lol.
I've always wanted to know how high Zair killed at. Your opponent would have to have Chip+Arkive DI times 5 to live that high XD

sasook

Smash Champion
rofl no, it's just a guess. I made assumptions based on the zair's knockback (even offstage it doesn't do much). I figured at 500%, even a jab will send you flying.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
rofl no, it's just a guess.
I tested it.

Sasook:
Zair kills a level 3 CPU at 700%... if its Jigglypuff.
Zair kills a level 3 Bowser at 891% damage.
*These were done on Final Destination, facing left, with the opponent placed dead center on the stage.

I've also deduced that the Gale Boomerang has set knockback, something I did not realize from before.

slickvic

Smash Apprentice
New York City/currently in Los Angeles (college)
I have a question? What are the BEST stages for Link? I hear Norfair alot, but im not sure why. If you could say what the best are and WHY, that would be great. (btw, i read the thread about the stages, and pros and cons) If it was already answered here, can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!

Deva

Smash Lord
I use shield a zair for the primary purpose of being able to airdodge before zairing. The "not getting hit" thing really helps lol. that way if they approach too quickly before you can zair, you can just let the airdodge finish and side step or roll as you land so it makes it safe and pretty hard to hit Link.

As far as Norfair, lots of room to move around and spam, platforms help Link's recovery immensly, and a low ceiling for early dair kills. Also, the top platforms allow you to dair from above and auto cancel upon landing. Plus random lava damage is awesome.

lilmister

Smash Apprentice
I have a question...the other day I was browing through Smash Wiki and found that:
If you Smash Side B, the galerang would go farther than what it usually would...is this true??
And if it's true is it all that useful to know?

shadyf0o

Smash Journeyman
Yes its true. Its sort of useful. If you hit someone with the gale boomerang from a far distance it only pushes them, no damage.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I have a question? What are the BEST stages for Link? I hear Norfair alot, but im not sure why. If you could say what the best are and WHY, that would be great. (btw, i read the thread about the stages, and pros and cons) If it was already answered here, can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!
Hm well, check out my thread "Link stage discussion thread" and you'll learn a thing or two about stages. XD I'd say BF or Corneria. I always **** my friends on Corneria. Missed ledged Zair mindgames FTW!!

_Saint_

Smash Apprentice
Question:

Out of all the possible combos Link can perform, which do you think is the best?

~Saint~

PokemonMaster

Smash Cadet
For 2v2 games, who do you would work best with Link?

Kirby or Lucario?
I know there are probably other options.
A small college 2v2 tourney is coming up in 2 weeks.

I main Link & Zelda.

My friend plays mainly only Kirby/Lucario.

Trying to decide what the best combination between those 4 would work best.
Abit leaning on using my Link though, since he's my best/favorite.

Any special things that arise from a Lucario/Link team compared to a Kirby/Link one?

sasook

Smash Champion
I tested it.

Sasook:
Zair kills a level 3 CPU at 700%... if its Jigglypuff.
Zair kills a level 3 Bowser at 891% damage.
*These were done on Final Destination, facing left, with the opponent placed dead center on the stage.

I've also deduced that the Gale Boomerang has set knockback, something I did not realize from before.
Wow, those are really high lol. Well there you go blu link, you have your answer thanks to Anon. Boomerang has a set knockback no matter what? Sweet.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Besides zair hogging, is there a way to do stalling on the edge (like Yoshi's egg stall?)
...Take out a bomb and blow yourself up?

There's not really anything else you can do. Zair, drop down and UpB, or bomb the edge of the stage.
Frankly, Link's method of stalling is more than most characters get, so I'm happy with it the way it is.

And its cool that you second Link, because I second Lucario and take your advice to heart a lot of the time (and have learned not to underestimate SCIENCE!)

EDIT: And Sasook, with the boomerang there are a bunch of situations where the opponent may get hit in separate directions, but a straight-on hit will ALWAYS do the same knockback.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Question:

Out of all the possible combos Link can perform, which do you think is the best?

~Saint~

My personal favorite is.....

Nair>Jab Cancel>Grab>Pummel>F/B throw>DAC

Then I use the time to pull out a bomb or something useful

For 2v2 games, who do you would work best with Link?

Kirby or Lucario?
I know there are probably other options.
A small college 2v2 tourney is coming up in 2 weeks.

I main Link & Zelda.

My friend plays mainly only Kirby/Lucario.

Trying to decide what the best combination between those 4 would work best.
Abit leaning on using my Link though, since he's my best/favorite.

Any special things that arise from a Lucario/Link team compared to a Kirby/Link one?
This is what I think

Try a person with multiple jumps. The playstyles will mesh well as they are opposites thus making it harder for opponents to adapt. A character with multiple just can also save you from your own terrible recovery.

Otherwise play what works.

Besides zair hogging, is there a way to do stalling on the edge (like Yoshi's egg stall?)

there is 1 other thing but it is not as effective. You can drop down and 2nd hop an nair and regrab the ledge in time.

It can be useful.....

What are the BEST stages for Link?

This is going in the FAQ soon.

The most common answers I here are Rainbow cruise and Norfair. If you have one you want me to add, say it and say why and I will consider it.

Forlin

Smash Cadet
What recoveries does Link's Nair out prioritize? I guess it could vary by angle, so specifically if he Nairs from straight up above them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom